PDA

View Full Version : What the Hell is up With the Spurs?

AllTheWay
11-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Sure they are beating the Bucks right now, but even with a victory today (if they get the W) they are still a lowly 6-6.

Are they having a tough time getting RJ integrated, or what?

Or will they just go on a crazy streak after the all- star break like they always do?

Or are they done?

MoBASS
11-23-2009, 11:20 PM
They're too small. Not gonna stand a chance against the Lakers frontline

ZebraCity916
11-23-2009, 11:27 PM
They've been plagued with injuries. That's what I've seen so far.

st3voness
11-23-2009, 11:42 PM
Injuries, but so have Dallas and Los Angeles and they're fairing well.

Jumba
11-23-2009, 11:42 PM
I think its a mix of a bit of everything. Chemistry, injuries and well, what the spurs do. Bore you till you don't notice then watch them slowly climb to the top. It's only been like 13 games. the season is far from done.

jimbobjarree
11-23-2009, 11:50 PM
injuries man, keep up

Mavrix
11-23-2009, 11:52 PM
They started 6-8 in 99 and won a championship

sofargone
11-23-2009, 11:52 PM
injuries and age

superkegger
11-23-2009, 11:56 PM
They always start slow. It's just how they roll. I'm not all that worried about them. They're probably more aware of their age, and the toll long seasons take than anyone, and they know it's a long season, and they don't panick. I feel like we have this discussion every year.

Joshtd1
11-23-2009, 11:59 PM
Injuries/TERRIBLE defense/chemistry/bad coaching

Looks like Pop has gotten his rotations down though and is finally playing our defenders more, in place of Finley/Bonner in the starting lineup.

TP/RJ still arent playing great, and Dice is still getting used to the system.

Once our offense clicks, I won't be worried.

skratcher
11-24-2009, 12:01 AM
It's when people think the Spurs are done that they win championships.

I will never doubt the Spurs, although I hate that team (for beating my favorite team many, many times).

JayW_1023
11-24-2009, 01:51 AM
We're 6-6 at this point last year too. Starting slowly usually happens to us.

Raph12
11-24-2009, 02:06 AM
Injuries and chemistry issues

AllTheWay
11-24-2009, 02:10 AM
injuries man, keep up

:shrug:

Seems like a majority have teams have had injuries to key players, and most are fairing well.

Lakers, Mavs, Bucks, etc.

Then again, maybe I should realize that the Spurs always do this.

GoatMilk
11-24-2009, 02:41 AM
We're 6-6 at this point last year too. Starting slowly usually happens to us.

bounced out the first round last year too

Confusion
11-24-2009, 02:43 AM
Injuries.

Wilson
11-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Tim Duncan: Career low in minutes per game
Tony Parker: Career low in minutes per game
Manu Ginobili: Lowest minutes per game since rookie season
Richard Jefferson: Lowest minutes per game since rookie season

I don't know if anyone remembers (or even noticed in the first place), but I said throughout the summer that the Spurs won't finish higher than 4th in the regular season - they'll cut back on minutes to be healthy in the play-offs.

They have had some injury issues as well. I expect their minutes to stay about the same, but their wins to increase when they get everyone healthy (Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu have all missed some games due to injury I think).

Don't be suprised if they finish 5th or 6th in the Western Conference before making a run to the Conference/NBA Finals.

$ NyC $
11-24-2009, 09:18 AM
^ That could be the case.

In my personal opinion, if they don't improve i think this would be the time to blow things up. When you got old veteran talent rebuilding is so easy. Imagine the picks/young talent you could get for Manu/Duncan/Parker (not necessarily all 3).

Then again they could just do what they always do and make the finals and we all find out when we see them there lol

todu82
11-24-2009, 09:36 AM
I think it could be age as well as the old saying: All good things must come to an end. Still it's only November, plenty of time for San Antonio to turn it around.

#1Mavericksfan
11-24-2009, 11:00 AM
There done....on top of all that Jefferson and Parker can't play on the court at the same time because Parker is a ball hog.

JayW_1023
11-24-2009, 05:15 PM
bounced out the first round last year too

If we're healthy next postseason...if...than I don't see that happening at ALL this year.

JayW_1023
11-24-2009, 05:16 PM
There done....on top of all that Jefferson and Parker can't play on the court at the same time because Parker is a ball hog.

Considering how easy people jump the gun on these forums comments like these are quite amusing...keep it coming fella.

leftie5
11-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Injuries and chemistry. The chemistry part could be due to the injuries since their fully healthy squad hasn't really had a lot of time playing together. Obviously, Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili have played together, but they are also trying to incorporate Richard Jefferson, etc. Guys have had to take on new roles (I think Bonner and Mason are coming off the bench now) and it is taking some time to get used to them.

But, I expect them to have a great second half like usual.

SteveNash
11-24-2009, 05:58 PM
Spurs are done as a team, the RJ move was just desperation on their part and it hasn't worked out. Time to rebuild.

JayW_1023
11-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Spurs are done as a team, the RJ move was just desperation on their part and it hasn't worked out. Time to rebuild.

As likely as your team running and gunning to a title this year...?

Fayzon10
11-24-2009, 06:11 PM
I think the big three Duncan, Ginobli, and Parker have too many miles on their legs between International play and playoffs...

Wilson
11-24-2009, 06:15 PM
^ That could be the case.

In my personal opinion, if they don't improve i think this would be the time to blow things up. When you got old veteran talent rebuilding is so easy. Imagine the picks/young talent you could get for Manu/Duncan/Parker (not necessarily all 3).

Then again they could just do what they always do and make the finals and we all find out when we see them there lol

I wouldn't be at all suprised if that happened.

None of us should be suprised by this. It's not exactly a new move for Coach Popovich to rest his guys during the season and make a big run in the play-offs.

In fact, weren't the Spurs hovering around the 6-8 spots in the Western Conference in '07 before starting their run after the all-star break? I think it was something like that, I could be off though :shrug:

Fireworld
11-24-2009, 06:36 PM
injuries

iggypop123
11-24-2009, 06:45 PM
injuries, duncan getting back from the knee. they arent that amazing, because they lack a true center, ratliff is one but that was 7 yrs ago.

ElMarroAfamado
11-24-2009, 11:07 PM
sorry to burst everyone bubble
but the spurs are done and they arent very good
in short terms...THEY SUCK...
i have been saying this for a while (check some of my old posts)
and i said since the beggining of the season it was laughable when people would mention them in the same sentence as the Lakers
or as them being the "biggest" competition to the Lakers....

please.

ElMarroAfamado
11-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Tim Duncan: Career low in minutes per game
Tony Parker: Career low in minutes per game
Manu Ginobili: Lowest minutes per game since rookie season
Richard Jefferson: Lowest minutes per game since rookie season

I don't know if anyone remembers (or even noticed in the first place), but I said throughout the summer that the Spurs won't finish higher than 4th in the regular season - they'll cut back on minutes to be healthy in the play-offs.

They have had some injury issues as well. I expect their minutes to stay about the same, but their wins to increase when they get everyone healthy (Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu have all missed some games due to injury I think).

Don't be suprised if they finish 5th or 6th in the Western Conference before making a run to the Conference/NBA Finals.

:facepalm:

this is what i mean
its like people are just on the "hey its always smart to root for the spurs..."
thing or something just like the analysts but that is getting old...
just like the Spurs......

Wilson
11-24-2009, 11:34 PM
:facepalm:

this is what i mean
its like people are just on the "hey its always smart to root for the spurs..."
thing or something just like the analysts but that is getting old...
just like the Spurs......

Tim Duncan, despite his career low in minutes per game so far, is averging his highest rebounds per game since the '03-'04 season. When's that bum going to retire?

Kakaroach
11-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Just let the old guys heal and the new guys get acquainted with the offense and defense and they will make the playoffs. After that, not so sure how good they are.

ElMarroAfamado
11-25-2009, 01:36 AM
Tim Duncan, despite his career low in minutes per game so far, is averging his highest rebounds per game since the '03-'04 season. When's that bum going to retire?

im not calling any of their player bums....but the spurs will not be winning a title anytime soon ...but it gets boring that people always think they have a chance
when in reality they havent had a chance in a while....

look at the threads...people are ALWAYS talking about the SPurs.....when the realists like me know they aint beating any of the top title contenders...

Spurred1
11-25-2009, 01:46 AM
What are you talking about? People don't always talk about the Spurs except to complain that they suck, are near death from old age, or play boring basketball. There are numerous threads about teams, but rarely about the Spurs. Most of the threads have to do with the Lakers from what I've seen.
God forbid should someone make a thread about any of the other teams in the NBA forum or have the nerve to think they could possibly compete for anything.

lakerboy
11-25-2009, 01:58 AM
Wait for their annual month long road trip.

abe_froman
11-25-2009, 02:00 AM
wow its been what,less than a month into the season(and also went through that bad start without 2nd best player)so everyone is writing them off?

you're acting like the season is less than 20 games long,not 82.jumping the gun abit here guys?

Raph12
11-25-2009, 02:08 AM
im not calling any of their player bums....but the spurs will not be winning a title anytime soon ...but it gets boring that people always think they have a chance

look at the threads...people are ALWAYS talking about the SPurs.....when the realists like me know they aint beating any of the top title contenders...

The Spurs made the conference Finals in 2008 after winning it all in 07, I wouldn't call that "haven't had a chance in a while"... fact remains, if the Spurs can stay healthy when the playoffs arrive, they have a pretty damn good shot.

AlexTmz2
11-25-2009, 02:11 AM
I can see why everyone is wondering why the Spurs are off to a bad start. You guys forget that they have a whole differnt team now. Its tough starting the season with a whole new squad. Jefferson still hasn't gotten into rythm and yes, we are down because of inuries. Our main concern this season should be health and im sure Pop has his ideas to limit our role players throughout the season. Remeber, its not about the record at this point, its about the focus and learning the system with the new faces.They still haven't found their starting lineup, Pop has made several changes throughout the starts of the game. He's had 8 different starting roles, so they still haven't found their right starting lineup. Im sure Popovich still has alot of work to do with his team, and i trust them getting back on their feet.

Wilson
11-25-2009, 12:08 PM

Why can't they win? It's not like their a run and gun team that just can't keep up anymore.

The Spurs are a team that win by playing defense, hustling, and just generally out-working you. They can still do that.

Tim Duncan is capable of doing a lot of damage against both the Lakers and Nuggets front courts. Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol (as much as I love them), can still get bullied around sometimes, and there isn't much scoring in Denver's front court. The Spurs can win those match-ups.

They could benefit a lot from having a great perimeter defender to deal with Kobe Bryant and Carmelo Anthony. Maybe they should try to get James Posey from New Orleans, or Raja Bell from Golden State? I don't know about 'Melo, but those guys have been known to give Kobe fits.

JayW_1023
11-25-2009, 12:26 PM
The whole argument that implies 'the spurs are old and boring' is older than reality around the team.

Wilson
11-25-2009, 12:29 PM
The whole argument that implies 'the spurs are old and boring' is older than reality around the team.

I've never even found them boring :shrug: Good basketball is good basketball...