PDA

View Full Version : Clippers broadcasters suspended for comments about Haddadi

asandhu23
11-21-2009, 10:40 PM
By Dan Arritt, for NBA.com
Posted Nov 21 2009 12:00AM

LOS ANGELES -- The longtime announcer of the Los Angeles Clippers and his partner were suspended for a game following their comments about Grizzlies backup center Hamed Haddadi during Wednesday's telecast from Memphis.

Ralph Lawler, in his 31st season as the voice of the Clippers, and analyst Mike Smith were suspended by Fox Sports Prime Ticket for Friday's game against the Denver Nuggets at Staples Center.

Toward the end of the 106-91 loss to the Grizzlies, Haddadi entered the game. A 7-foot-2 center, Haddadi is the first Iranian to play in the NBA. When he entered, Smith began a 40-second exchange by saying, 'Look who's in?" Lawler then answered, "Hamed Haddadi. Where's he from?" The exchange continued as follows:

Smith: "He's the first Iranian to play in the NBA."

Lawler: "There aren't any Iranian players in the NBA."

Smith: "He's the only one."

Lawler: "He's from Iran?"

Smith: "I guess so."

Lawler: "That Iran?"

Smith: Yes.

Lawler: "The real Iran?"

Smith: "Yes."

Lawler: "Wow. Haddadi -- that's H-A-D-D-A-D-I."

Smith: "You're sure it's not Borat's older brother?"

Smith: "If they ever make a movie about Haddadi, I'm going to get Sacha Baron Cohen to play the part."

Lawler: "Here's Haddadi. Nice little back-door pass. I guess those Iranians can pass the ball."

Smith: "Especially the post players.

Lawler: "I don't know about their guards."

A viewer apparently complained about the exchange and later received an apology from Fox Sports.

Shady66
11-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Lol

asandhu23
11-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Lol

interestingly the broadcasters are Fox broadcasters. :pity:

ChiSox219
11-21-2009, 10:49 PM

:rolleyes:

Toenail Clipper
11-21-2009, 10:56 PM
So that's what happened! I was curious why they werent theyre yesterday

wileyisTOFU
11-21-2009, 10:59 PM
those crazy Iranians

lakerboy
11-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Fox broadcasters.

MiamiHeat
11-21-2009, 11:08 PM
now everybody is gonna start complaining
no fun...

jetsfan28
11-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Really doesn't seem that bad to me.

pd7631
11-21-2009, 11:17 PM
wow, why are people such vaginas nowadays? Political correctness.....boo!

Bruno
11-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Laker broadcast has been mediocre since Chick Hern died, but those Clipper announcers have always come off as idiots, imo. Being based out of LA, I hear both on fox during Laker or Clipper games.

I don't really give a damn about political correctness, but it wasn't even funny it was lame and far from clever, like most of their broadcasts.

Brew Crew
11-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Nvm.

B.JenningsMVP
11-22-2009, 12:08 AM
Lol wow

MattColby
11-22-2009, 12:23 AM

:clap:

BlondeBomber41
11-22-2009, 12:31 AM
What did they say wrong? They made a little joke but nothing racist.

SA5195
11-22-2009, 12:35 AM
lmao

bosox3431
11-22-2009, 12:36 AM
I see nothing offensive there. The guy who complaned shuld check into getting that hatchet wound of his sewn up.

ARMIN12NBA
11-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Disgusting. I find the Borat comment especially offensive and racist. Ironically, Sasha Baron Cohen was making fun of American generalizations, that are often based off of ignorance, with his movie Borat and Mike Smith only further proved Cohen right.

BlondeBomber41
11-22-2009, 12:43 AM
Disgusting. I find the Borat comment especially offensive and racist. Ironically, Sasha Baron Cohen was making fun of American generalizations (based off of ignorance) with his movie Borat and Mike Smith only further proved Cohen right.

No, you got it all wrong.

He wasnt making any generalizations about anyone, he made a joke about him referencing to a movie. That was it.

If an announcer made a joke about Dirk being Bruno's brother (who was from near Germany) then nobody would get offended by it.

If an announcer made a joke saying Andrew Bogut was Crocodile Dundee's brother because they are from Australia nobody would be offended by it.

Just because it was an Iranian player doesn't make it any more or less offensive. He didnt make a joke targetting a certain racial view of the Iranian people, just a joke that if it was anyone else would of been ignored.

swagga81
11-22-2009, 12:50 AM
Disgusting. I find the Borat comment especially offensive and racist. Ironically, Sasha Baron Cohen was making fun of American generalizations, that are often based off of ignorance, with his movie Borat and Mike Smith only further proved Cohen right.
racist! Oh come on! your over looking this! racist this racist that No One Gives A crap! i bet your the LA Fan who cried about this! enough with the Race Card!

Bulls_fan90
11-22-2009, 12:54 AM
What sort of loser would complain about that?

swagga81
11-22-2009, 12:56 AM
What sort of loser would complain about that?

probabley hes a Iran decent

1-800-STFU
11-22-2009, 12:58 AM
Yeah....theres nothing wrong with that

swagga81
11-22-2009, 01:02 AM
what makes me sick is these guys are supended for a joke and yet charles barkley still has job for making fun of white & black people on tnt and getting DUI's

Raph12
11-22-2009, 01:05 AM
Lame on the guy's part who complained to get them suspended, like cmon, it's a jk dude, keep your panties dry.

Gambeezy
11-22-2009, 01:08 AM
idiots

swagga81
11-22-2009, 01:11 AM
idiots:facepalm:

IDB Josh M
11-22-2009, 01:15 AM
Read the article. One person complained ... thats right ... ONE PERSON. Which equals ... a million people.

mzgrizz
11-22-2009, 01:21 AM
I didn't hear it as I was attending the game in the Forum, but they aren't the first sportscasters to say boneheaded things. Do any of them comment on Yao or Pau or Marc or Manu as to their nationality and ability to play basketball? I think that is what got them more; not that it was so bad, just stupid to do so.

500 Level
11-22-2009, 01:27 AM
racist! Oh come on! your over looking this! racist this racist that No One Gives A crap! i bet your the LA Fan who cried about this! enough with the Race Card!

I like that the All American American made this comment. I'm pretty Liberal and really the only thing I found offensive is that he had the wrong country from Borat. It was Khazikstan. So I'm only offended as a Comedian about the joke being bad.

It wasn't clever but he didn't call him like a towelhead or somethin

Can i say towelhead?

GoatMilk
11-22-2009, 01:30 AM
it's bad because lets pretend Haddadi was black.

"black? as is African American black? Is he related to Obama?"

thats why they got suspended.

what they said seems like it was harmless, but it wasnt to Iranians.

btw, i always thought it was pronounced "Eye-Ran" also. Even as i read the article i kept saying it that way even though it says thats incorrect lol

Flamarlins21
11-22-2009, 01:31 AM
I thought it was kinda funny. It could have been a lot worse.

asandhu23
11-22-2009, 01:46 AM

btw, i always thought it was pronounced "Eye-Ran" also. Even as i read the article i kept saying it that way even though it says thats incorrect lol

iran is pronounced eee-raaaaan. ask esaady.

Toenail Clipper
11-22-2009, 01:52 AM
Oh me oh my!

trifive67
11-22-2009, 01:53 AM

Can i say towelhead?[/QUOTE]

Exactly. This race/gay thing has gotten entirely out of hand. I'd love to hear the higher-ups at fox telling these announcers they're getting suspended... "yea, sorry guys, but we have to suspend you bc you stepped on someone's toes with your comments. we know it's crazy, but this is america."

I am a straight white guy. My two closest friends are:
1. African American
2. Gay

My African American friend constantly asks me, "Why do people of color fail to recognize that during times of slavery, it was African tribes who were fighting against one another that made careers out of selling fellow people of color to white men who then shipped them to America?"

Then Larry Johnson says "***" and people get all up in arms? Give me a break.

Poeple that makes issues out innocent comments are solely seeking attention and handouts.

Maybe I should stop laughing next time Charles Barkley makes fun of a white guy and ***** to TNT that he offended me.

GoatMilk
11-22-2009, 01:53 AM
Oh me oh my!

BINGO!

i dont think anyone gets it though :p

ZebraCity916
11-22-2009, 01:54 AM

:laugh2:

govade
11-22-2009, 02:02 AM
That's just wrong.
Absoltely nothing offensive in there.

Toenail Clipper
11-22-2009, 02:05 AM
BINGO!

i dont think anyone gets it though :p

Did you know Bill Walton used to be a Clipper reporter?
LOL

DenButsu
11-22-2009, 02:17 AM
I think people are kind of missing the point here.

I mean, maybe the penalty was too severe, but if you're looking at it from the perspective of the NBA, then this is a business and game commentators are basically sales representatives. And this is a time when the league is making a clear, concerted effort towards internationalization of the NBA. It's really not about political correctness. It's about not alienating huge sectors of their market (or potential market) from spending money and time on the NBA. They can't afford to have the people who are essentially the voices of the NBA out there making culturally ignorant and insensitive remarks. They can't allow that kind of precedent to be set. At the end of the day, it would simply be bad for business.

Think of it on a smaller scale. Some Iranian dude walks into a department store looking to buy a suit. He overhears the salesmen making fun of some "eee-ranian" co-worker and cracking jokes about him being Borat's brother. Well, maybe the dude thinks, "**** this, I'll go buy my suit somewhere else." That's what the NBA is trying to avoid here. Pissing off their customers.

mrmike101
11-22-2009, 02:22 AM
i think people are kind of missing the point here.

I mean, maybe the penalty was too severe, but if you're looking at it from the perspective of the nba, then this is a business and game commentators are basically sales representatives. And this is a time when the league is making a clear, concerted effort towards internationalization of the nba. It's really not about political correctness. It's about not alienating huge sectors of their market (or potential market) from spending money and time on the nba. They can't afford to have the people who are essentially the voices of the nba out there making culturally ignorant and insensitive remarks. They can't allow that kind of precedent to be set. At the end of the day, it would simply be bad for business.

Think of it on a smaller scale. Some iranian dude walks into a department store looking to buy a suit. He overhears the salesmen making fun of some "eee-ranian" co-worker and cracking jokes about him being borat's brother. Well, maybe the dude thinks, "**** this, i'll go buy my suit somewhere else." that's what the nba is trying to avoid here. Pissing off their customers.

nice :)

mdlr52192
11-22-2009, 02:28 AM
I lol'd

AI4MVP
11-22-2009, 02:31 AM
me being an iranian, i was ready to open this and get extremely pissed about what someone said, but i read it and it didnt seem like a big deal to me at all. the only thing that was pretty dumb was the borat thing, beside that, i dont think they meant anything bad by it.

but there still dumb as ****

BlondeBomber41
11-22-2009, 02:33 AM

Why? If it was turned around and it was a white guy (which is far more rare in the NBA) and the announcer said "White? Is he related to Bill Clinton?" would any white people get offended by it? No of course not.

I think the biggest problem is the fact that he compared him to a character that was a joke, but like has been said many times already people need to calm the **** down.

swagga81
11-22-2009, 02:33 AM
I like that the All American American made this comment. I'm pretty Liberal and really the only thing I found offensive is that he had the wrong country from Borat. It was Khazikstan. So I'm only offended as a Comedian about the joke being bad.

Can i say towelhead?

:clap::clap:

ElMarroAfamado
11-22-2009, 02:34 AM
we need to stand up for ralph and mike
this was blown way out of proportion and was unfair to suspend them
the guy who mentioned barkley was correct...

1-800-STFU
11-22-2009, 02:35 AM

I mean, maybe the penalty was too severe, but if you're looking at it from the perspective of the NBA, then this is a business and game commentators are basically sales representatives. And this is a time when the league is making a clear, concerted effort towards internationalization of the NBA. It's really not about political correctness. It's about not alienating huge sectors of their market (or potential market) from spending money and time on the NBA. They can't afford to have the people who are essentially the voices of the NBA out there making culturally ignorant and insensitive remarks. They can't allow that kind of precedent to be set. At the end of the day, it would simply be bad for business.

Think of it on a smaller scale. Some Iranian dude walks into a department store looking to buy a suit. He overhears the salesmen making fun of some "eee-ranian" co-worker and cracking jokes about him being Borat's brother. Well, maybe the dude thinks, "**** this, I'll go buy my suit somewhere else." That's what the NBA is trying to avoid here. Pissing off their customers.

Heh can't really compare the NBA to a store, there are a million more places to buy a suit, but only 1 place has the caliber of players like the NBA. If the Artest thing didn't kill the NBA nothing will.

BlondeBomber41
11-22-2009, 02:37 AM

Oh bs, nobody would of even known about this if they didnt suspend them. Like the article said, ONE person complained. ONE. It would of gone unnoticed and faded away without a suspension.

If they really gave a damn about putting out a good public image with their announcers and play by play men Barkley would of been fired when he got a DUI, which most people find appalling and inexcusable. In real life your job fires you if you get a DUI most of the time but not Barkley...

BlondeBomber41
11-22-2009, 02:39 AM
Heh can't really compare the NBA to a store, there are a million more places to buy a suit, but only 1 place has the caliber of players like the NBA. If the Artest thing didn't kill the NBA nothing will.

Another good point. What are they gonna do, watch the WNBA?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXT0OCm6bA4&feature=related

BHF
11-22-2009, 03:08 AM
probabley hes a Iran decent

:facepalm:

Lindystud36
11-22-2009, 03:20 AM
Hey after the Fort Hood incident, i could care less about being politically correct.
The way i see it, is every single race, color, or and other sub faction, has once been made fun of and will probably happen again. Let the broadcast go on, thisi s a free country, we do still have our admendments.... well until Barrack takes them away...

And not for nothing, his parents could have gave him a name like John, Joe, Mike, Larry, Phil, Paul, Jose, Frank, Chase, Tim, Dick, Bill, Anthony, Larry, Kareem, Ocho-Cincho or plenty of others

swagga81
11-22-2009, 03:54 AM
this was blown way out of proportion and was unfair to suspend them
the guy who mentioned barkley was correct...:clap::clap::clap:

swagga81
11-22-2009, 03:57 AM

oh come on what this for? you must be the LA clips fan who :cry:

swagga81
11-22-2009, 04:04 AM

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm:

nipo10847
11-22-2009, 04:20 AM
like team, like announcers!

abe_froman
11-22-2009, 04:39 AM
Hey after the Fort Hood incident, i could care less about being politically correct.
The way i see it, is every single race, color, or and other sub faction, has once been made fun of and will probably happen again. Let the broadcast go on
so just because its happened means it should happen,or the very least allowed? thats not a good reason

as to the thing,i really dont care but glad they were suspended cuz because what he said was that lame

azkarraga
11-22-2009, 04:52 AM
Tasteless. Classless. And, over all, absolutely idiot. An idiocy (theirs, not mine) is why i dont watch Fox Sports.

junion
11-22-2009, 05:15 AM
the laker commentators said that vladimir radmanovic looked like borat. nothing happened... everyone laughed about it.

Is Rashard Lewis cousins with T.I.?
Is Vladimir Radmanovic cousins with Borat?
Is Richard Jefferson cousins with a Brachiosaurus?
Is Pau Gasol cousins with a ostrich?
Is Shannon Brown cousins with Chris Brown?
Are Kwame Brown's parents cousins?
Is Rodney Stuckey cousins with 50 Cent?
Is Josh Smith cousins with Game?
Is Andrew Bynum cousins with Tracy Morgan?
Is Allen Iverson cousins with Katt Williams?
Is James Worthy cousins with Marvin Gaye?
Is Sasha Vujacic cousins with Jason Schwartzman?
Is Nick Young cousins with Nick Cannon-Carey?
Is Jordan Farmar cousins with Dumbo?
Is Rajon Rondo cousins with Bow Wow?
Is Zach Randolph cousins with Eddie Winslow?
Is Brian Scalabrine cousins with Michael Rapaport?
Is Stan van Gundy cousins with Ron Jeremy?
Is Aaron Brooks cousins with Chris Rock?
Is Ricky Rubio cousins with Harry Potter?
Is Karl Malone cousins with Rodney King?
Is Rick Carlisle cousins with Jim Carrey?
Is Al Harrington cousins with a Ninja Turtle?
Is Devin Brown cousins with Usher?
Is Anderson Varejao cousins with Justin Guarini and Sideshow Bob? (announcers mention that one A LOT)
Is Manu Ginobili cousins with Adrian Brody?
Is Kenny Thomas cousins with Tiger Woods?
Is Patrick Ewing cousins with a silverback Gorilla?
Is Ronnie Brewer cousins with blackface?

why the heck are people so sensitive to these things?!? how can anyone get offended? why are people such p**sies

why do people get offended? it's not offensive, the commentators are just stupid.

PurpleJesus
11-22-2009, 06:32 AM

k, go ahead and stand up for them...im waiting...arent you going to to do something?..I thought you said we needed to stand up for them...do SOMETHING!!!!

Fireworld
11-22-2009, 06:34 AM
the laker commentators said that vladimir radmanovic looked like borat. nothing happened... everyone laughed about it.

Is Rashard Lewis cousins with T.I.?
Is Vladimir Radmanovic cousins with Borat?
Is Richard Jefferson cousins with a Brachiosaurus?
Is Pau Gasol cousins with a ostrich?
Is Shannon Brown cousins with Chris Brown?
Are Kwame Brown's parents cousins?
Is Rodney Stuckey cousins with 50 Cent?
Is Josh Smith cousins with Game?
Is Andrew Bynum cousins with Tracy Morgan?
Is Allen Iverson cousins with Katt Williams?
Is James Worthy cousins with Marvin Gaye?
Is Sasha Vujacic cousins with Jason Schwartzman?
Is Nick Young cousins with Nick Cannon-Carey?
Is Jordan Farmar cousins with Dumbo?
Is Rajon Rondo cousins with Bow Wow?
Is Zach Randolph cousins with Eddie Winslow?
Is Brian Scalabrine cousins with Michael Rapaport?
Is Stan van Gundy cousins with Ron Jeremy?
Is Aaron Brooks cousins with Chris Rock?
Is Ricky Rubio cousins with Harry Potter?
Is Karl Malone cousins with Rodney King?
Is Rick Carlisle cousins with Jim Carrey?
Is Al Harrington cousins with a Ninja Turtle?
Is Devin Brown cousins with Usher?
Is Anderson Varejao cousins with Justin Guarini and Sideshow Bob? (announcers mention that one A LOT)
Is Manu Ginobili cousins with Adrian Brody?
Is Kenny Thomas cousins with Tiger Woods?
Is Patrick Ewing cousins with a silverback Gorilla?
Is Ronnie Brewer cousins with blackface?

why the heck are people so sensitive to these things?!? how can anyone get offended? why are people such p**sies

why do people get offended? it's not offensive, the commentators are just stupid.

LOOOOOL...Great list :D

tcav701
11-22-2009, 09:50 AM
The comments were immature and ignorant but saying a player looks like someone real or imaginary is NOT racist. If you were offended by this you need a sense of humor even considering it was a terrible joke.

Dont make a mountian out of a mole hill.

Sam Cassel has been said to look like an alien many, may times and we have not been invaded by offended aliens. Why? Because they obviously have a sense of humor hahahah.

tcav701
11-22-2009, 09:50 AM
And that list is amazing by the way.

EdGein812
11-22-2009, 10:06 AM
True it was insensitive and unprofessional to say, but not that big of a deal. tcav701 I highly doubt announcers and broadcasters were the ones calling him an alien. Big difference between fans choosing to call him that and paid employees. A 1 game suspension was just. It's a game but it's still a business and that was still inappropiate. If there was an Iranian announcer mocking an american athlete, more people no doubt, would find offence.

tcav701
11-22-2009, 10:17 AM
True it was insensitive and unprofessional to say, but not that big of a deal. tcav701 I highly doubt announcers and broadcasters were the ones calling him an alien. Big difference between fans choosing to call him that and paid employees. A 1 game suspension was just. It's a game but it's still a business and that was still inappropiate. If there was an Iranian announcer mocking an american athlete, more people no doubt, would find offence.

I have heard a celtics broadcaster refer to him being compared to an alien in the pregame show and im sure it wasnt the first.

I think the suspension was just but it really isnt anything to lose your bowels about.

Imagine what would have happened to this guy if it was the season after 9/11.

EdGein812
11-22-2009, 10:17 AM
With that being said I don't feel their intentions were meant to be cruel or distasteful, I think they were just trying to get a cheap laugh. Not that big of a deal all in all, and handled well enough. I'm not worried about Iran's feelings ( I could care less) though I am worried about Haddidi's. I'm sure he already gets harassed enough and this surely won't help. Let the man be. He's here for his love of the game, not politics.

EdGein812
11-22-2009, 10:20 AM
I have heard a celtics broadcaster refer to him being compared to an alien in the pregame show and im sure it wasnt the first.

I think the suspension was just but it really isnt anything to lose your bowels about.

Imagine what would have happened to this guy if it was the season after 9/11.

Really, an announcer? Ha ha. That's pretty mean, though. It may be funny. But unnecessary and inappropiate nonetheless.

Nighthawk
11-22-2009, 10:27 AM
I have heard much worse than this over the course of the years. Sad all i takes is 1 upset Iranian to cost two idiots a job. Oh well they'll be back getting paid well in a week

EdGein812
11-22-2009, 10:36 AM
If you think it was Haddidi who complained then you are silly. The NBA is a world wide mega business. I guarantee you it was the league officials who had a problem with it, not Haddidi. And no one lost there jobs, you handlebar mustache lovin beaner, ha ha. They simply got a slap on the wrists for their immature actions.

tcav701
11-22-2009, 10:55 AM
It takes a real man to wear a handlebar stash

Jamiecballer
11-22-2009, 11:08 AM
why did this turn into a race war? the announcer made ignorant remarks and he paid for it. makes sense to me.

FachoinaNYY
11-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Out country has gotten WAY too PC... get the **** over yourselves everyone.

EdGein812
11-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Right on, I was just goofin' around.

Halladay
11-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Don't really see how someone would get offended by that but given the politics involved, it's a pretty sensitive thing to talk about. Fox is pretty bad for this **** though, Bill O'reilly says things a hundred times more offensive then that. Hell, Fox news in general is pretty offensive and no, I don't get offended easily but if you're on TV you can't shoot from the hip all the time.

EdGein812
11-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Yeah being PC is pretty stupid. Calling everyone n*gg*rs, and sp*cks, and f*gg*ts seems much more appropiate for todays world. I guess RESPECT and EMPATHY are difficult notions to wrap your brain around.

runforrestrunx9
11-22-2009, 11:22 AM
thats hilarious

runforrestrunx9
11-22-2009, 11:25 AM
that list is awesome

DenButsu
11-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Oh bs, nobody would of even known about this if they didnt suspend them. Like the article said, ONE person complained. ONE. It would of gone unnoticed and faded away without a suspension.

If they really gave a damn about putting out a good public image with their announcers and play by play men Barkley would of been fired when he got a DUI, which most people find appalling and inexcusable. In real life your job fires you if you get a DUI most of the time but not Barkley...

Aw, I'm disappointed, BB. You forgot to include calling me a homer.

king4day
11-22-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm surprised it's only 1 game they're being suspended for.

Imagine they did the same thing for an African American player and said "is that the guy from "Radio"? Maybe Cuba Gooden should play him".

I already hated their announcers. This gives me more reason to.

*Superman*
11-22-2009, 11:48 AM
It's kinda ****ed up not gonna lie.

Ragun
11-22-2009, 11:52 AM
wo...dont think it was suspension worthy but they shouldnt of continued talking about Haddadi like that. it wasnt racist but it was rude.

but those clippers broadcasters are probably the 2 best broadcasters ive heard in the nba so far.

OA SLAY
11-22-2009, 12:16 PM
:) Silly White People! :)

lakerboy
11-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Only the uneducated would find this comment unoffensive. It's stupid, and shouldn't be done on television. I can't believe how many idiots here are defending the Clipper announcers.

Steve Kerr
11-22-2009, 12:58 PM
I don't think this exchanges warrants any sort of suspension.

Nighthawk
11-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Only the uneducated would find this comment unoffensive. It's stupid, and shouldn't be done on television. I can't believe how many idiots here are defending the Clipper announcers.

You kiddin me??

Wow he might be related to Borat. Pull ya panties out of your vagina and come back

lakerboy
11-22-2009, 01:14 PM
You kiddin me??

Wow he might be related to Borat. Pull ya panties out of your vagina and come back

Do you even know the difference between Kazahkstan and Iran? You probably have never left Beantown yourself. Maybe when you have geography and history classes in high school you'll learn a thing or two. Until then, keep hiding in wherever **** hole you live in.

EdGein812
11-22-2009, 01:27 PM
You kiddin me??

Yeah being PC is pretty stupid. Calling everyone n*gg*rs, and sp*cks, and f*gg*ts seems much more appropiate for todays world. I guess RESPECT and EMPATHY are difficult notions to wrap your brain around. You handlebar moustache lovin' beaner.;)

EdGein812
11-22-2009, 01:29 PM
"Let's brawl" he says. Sounds like a tough guy. Maybe a pig farmer?

HeirCanada
11-22-2009, 01:35 PM
The way i see it, is every single race, color, or and other sub faction, has once been made fun of and will probably happen again. Let the broadcast go on, thisi s a free country, we do still have our admendments.... well until Barrack takes them away...

And not for nothing, his parents could have gave him a name like John, Joe, Mike, Larry, Phil, Paul, Jose, Frank, Chase, Tim, Dick, Bill, Anthony, Larry, Kareem, Ocho-Cincho or plenty of others

So what are we saying now? Haddadi might go on a shooting rampage in the Grizzly locker room? You know after Columbine I never did trust white people the same.

And you're right. This all could've been avoided if his parents had just named him Joe. WTF were they thinking? Maybe he should change his name to 'Joe' now that he's made the NBA, the same way Hakeem changed his name to 'Hank' when he got to Texas.

lakerboy
11-22-2009, 01:35 PM
"Let's brawl" he says. Sounds like a tough guy. Maybe a pig farmer?

Probably just the typical d-bag.

save the knicks
11-22-2009, 01:40 PM
I love all you idiots crying reverse racism.

If i'm in charge of that broadcast i certainly don't want anyone going all jihad at the staples center so i er on the side of caution

Its just not a good idea to piss off Iranians.

colinskik
11-22-2009, 02:02 PM
This is insane how many fools on here are defending those announcers.

Sure, it was the worst racist comment to ever be spoken, but IT WAS RACIST. You can't be shooting from the hip, as someone put it before, when you're on national television. It really shows that these announcers have no brains.

They see a guy with an unusual name and all of a sudden he's Borat's cousin. Ignorant. Besides the fact that Iran and Kazakhstan are two different nations, it's still completely uneducated to make simple comparisons for what, the sake of a chuckle? These guys should be schooled on how not to sounds like idiots while thousands of people are listening.

save the knicks
11-22-2009, 02:04 PM
yeah for the sake of a chuckle because chuckling is a lot more fun than hallow activism

seems like half the world has an enormous stick up there butts and wont be happy until they can shove it down the rest of our poop chutes

magichatnumber9
11-22-2009, 02:17 PM

Boo until they insult you!

magichatnumber9
11-22-2009, 02:21 PM
I didn't just find what the complainer said to be offensive, I found the whole transcript offensive. T.V is suppose to be entertaining for everyone not just Caucasians.

Mavrix
11-22-2009, 02:26 PM
The part that annoys me the most is when he says "I guess those Iranians can pass the ball." That's the most racist imo.

Trouble87
11-22-2009, 02:42 PM
doesnt seem that bad but I'm not Iranian... I'm sure it could be offensive to be compared to Borat

rocky4104
11-22-2009, 02:49 PM
doesnt seem that bad but I'm not Iranian... I'm sure it could be offensive to be compared to Borat

lol.. funny..

seriously, being an immiggrant from another country find it perplexing how sensitive poeple are here. sure it was a stupid joke but cmon...

well like trouble said, i'm not iranian so it's up to them to complain about it if they find it offensive

TheWatcher34
11-22-2009, 03:27 PM
the next war breakin out....

dodgersuck
11-22-2009, 03:33 PM
they got suspended for that? thats ********

Toenail Clipper
11-22-2009, 03:34 PM
like team, like announcers!

You're dissing Ralph Lawler?
You probably don't even know him because you're a dumb kid

NYK|NYY
11-22-2009, 03:36 PM
That was pretty bad, you have to filter what you say when your a broadcaster.

Wilson
11-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Laker broadcast has been mediocre since Chick Hern died, but those Clipper announcers have always come off as idiots, imo. Being based out of LA, I hear both on fox during Laker or Clipper games.

I don't really give a damn about political correctness, but it wasn't even funny it was lame and far from clever, like most of their broadcasts.

I like the Lakers' guys, Stu Lantz is awesome :D :p

What the Clippers' guys said doesn't really deserve a suspension. I mean, they both sounded pretty dumb, but nothing particularly offensive in my opinion :shrug:

jimbobjarree
11-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Clippers announcers are retards anyway, last season they didnt know who Millsap was as he absolutely torched them, so I'm not suprised

ElMarroAfamado
11-22-2009, 04:37 PM
wo...dont think it was suspension worthy but they shouldnt of continued talking about Haddadi like that. it wasnt racist but it was rude.

but those clippers broadcasters are probably the 2 best broadcasters ive heard in the nba so far.

yup...the thing about them when the clippers play horrible (which is most of the time) they get on em and start clowning...when other teams play bad same thing....they are the type to joke around all game...especially when the clippers are losing....mike smith even makes fun of his benchwarming days in the nba...

people just need a sense of humor

i should complain that the Lakers have a free taco promotion because they are BASED OUT OF L.A and im mexican!!! oh my god thats racist why tacos!!!

ElMarroAfamado
11-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Clippers announcers are retards anyway, last season they didnt know who Millsap was as he absolutely torched them, so I'm not suprised

they knew who he was have you ever heard the phrase
"who is this guy?"

they didnt really mean it

junion
11-22-2009, 04:58 PM
it's not like they said a racist name like n*gger, or anything they compared him to a character. it's like saying:

The Wednesday exchange began when Mbenga entered the game and Smith said, "Look who's in." Lawler responded, ". Where's he from?"

Smith answered, "He's the first Congo to play in the NBA."

Towfighi, in an e-mail to The Times, the Clippers and Fox Sports executives, took umbrage with the fact that Smith mispronounced Congo.

Here is the rest of the on-air exchange:

Lawler: "There aren't any Congo players in the NBA?" repeating Smith's pronunciation of the word "Conga."

Smith: "He's the only one."

Lawler: "He's from Congo?"

Smith: "I guess so."

Lawler: "That Congo?"

Lawler: "The real Congo?"

Lawler: "Wow. Mbenga -- that's M-B-E-N-G-A."

Smith: "You're sure it's not Amistad's younger brother?"

Lawler laughed and Smith continued, "If they ever make a movie about Mbenga, I'm going to get Djimon Hounsou to play the part."

Lawler: "Here's Mbenga. Nice little dunk. I guess those Africanss can pass the ball."

Smith: "Especially the post players."

Lawler: "I don't know about their guards."

eh... nothing.

if an iraqi announcer commented in iraq about an american player and said, "those americans really know how to invade your space out there." they wouldn't be suspended in iraq. (please don't think - but we're better over here than them in iraq, because you'd just be a hypocrit)

the irony in this is that the ONE guy who brought it up got offended.... if he didn't say anything, it's just that ONE guy and everyone watching would have forgotten it by the end of the game. now this guy brought it up, and everyone's reading it over and over and over.

it's like one guy sees a fire no one else care about, then he brings people to see it, and it ends up killing all of them instead of just one guy who could have just put it out and walked away.

those minorities really know how to complain.

EternalLakeShow
11-22-2009, 05:07 PM

x2, i always thought clipper games were boring cause its the clippers but eventually i realized that it was these 2 clowns

ko8e24
11-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Ralph Lawler is old and boring, all he says is "BINGO" after every 3 pointer the Clippers hit. That's the only reason he still has his job, lol

Raps18-19 Champ
11-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Maybe it was more of the fact they were trying to compare him to Borat.

If you think about it, being in the same sentence as Borat is bad enough let alone being related to him.

jimbobjarree
11-22-2009, 07:43 PM
they knew who he was have you ever heard the phrase
"who is this guy?"

they didnt really mean it

well duhhh. But to continue the sharade throughout the whole game as he slowly took them apart, retards, couldnt stand them.

dodie53
11-22-2009, 07:58 PM
borat's brother.
hehe

SA5195
11-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Isn't Borat from Kazakhstan? :eyebrow:

CB4AB7VC15
11-22-2009, 09:25 PM
I'm from Iran and this was funny and all in fun to me, not a big deal move on.....................

SchyGuy11
11-22-2009, 09:40 PM
big deal

Toenail Clipper
11-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Ralph Lawler is old and boring, all he says is "BINGO" after every 3 pointer the Clippers hit. That's the only reason he still has his job, lol

Ralph Lawler > Stu Lantz and Joel Myers

Wilson
11-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Ralph Lawler > Stu Lantz and Joel Myers

:no:

Chronz
11-22-2009, 11:53 PM
Totally blown out of proportion, Lawler and Smith are good natured people who, quite honestly come off as the least biased broadcast duo in the league. You have to be when youve been following this team.

Cadarn
11-24-2009, 06:29 PM
The best part is this guy's major complaint was about pronunciation. Some idiot eyeranian complains because a 99 year old white guy mispronounces eyeran? Guess what, just about everyone in america pronounces it that way.

Cadarn
11-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Totally blown out of proportion, Lawler and Smith are good natured people who, quite honestly come off as the least biased broadcast duo in the league. You have to be when youve been following this team.

The only announcer that gives more information about opposing teams than these two is vin scully.