PDA

View Full Version : You guys paying attention to Hibbert, Lock for MIP?

Chronz
11-20-2009, 02:42 PM
One of my favorite NCAA ballers to watch in his day is finding ways to not only be effective but dominate in ways many thought hed be unable to considering his lack of agility.

Hes putting up 13-9 in 28MPG and the Pacers are on an impressive winning streak, hes like last years Andrew Bynum. Only I seriously doubt the upside.

Come to think of it, Dauntey Jones has been playing WAY out of his mind, maybe theres something in the water over in Hoosier country.

Roy for MIP? Or are there better contenders?

Mell413
11-20-2009, 02:46 PM
One of my favorite NCAA ballers to watch in his day is finding ways to not only be effective but dominate in ways many thought hed be unable to considering his lack of agility.

Hes putting up 13-9 in 28MPG and the Pacers are on an impressive winning streak, hes like last years Andrew Bynum. Only I seriously doubt the upside.

Come to think of it, Dauntey Jones has been playing WAY out of his mind, maybe theres something in the water over in Hoosier country.

I would put Joakim Noah and Aaron Brooks ahead of Hibbert.

bigsams50
11-20-2009, 02:46 PM
I'd say bynum but his numbers are gonna drop because of Gasols return. Noah is also a candidate

bctgg27
11-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Thats why I drafted him in my fantasy league. ESPN said he would be a sleeper pick.

Gibby23
11-20-2009, 02:47 PM
I said Hibbert was a better Center than Brags and people thought it was crazy. I stand by that.

KH12
11-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Noah...

clutchski
11-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Although he's putting up much improved numbers, I wouldn't say anyone's a lock for MIP; especially after less than a month of this new NBA season.

Turtle55
11-20-2009, 02:57 PM
He could be a solid pick by year's end. But off the top of my head Chris Douglas Roberts, Joakim Noah, Marc Gasol, Trevor Ariza, Aaron Brooks, Corey Brewer, Channing Frye, Bosh (all star for a few year but hell of a start this year) would be in the running so he's far from a lock.

Reddd
11-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Marreese Speights anybody?

DerekRE_3
11-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Add Jason Thompson to the list. He has the 2nd most offensive rebounds this year, only behind Chris Bosh who has played one more game. His midrange jumper gets better and better, he can pass the ball, handle the ball, and is improving his inside game.

SirCarlton
11-20-2009, 03:16 PM
channing frye...product of system but numbers are way to high to not be in the chase

DLeeicious
11-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Add Jason Thompson to the list. He has the 2nd most offensive rebounds this year, only behind Chris Bosh who has played one more game. His midrange jumper gets better and better, he can pass the ball, handle the ball, and is improving his inside game.

yeah Thompson's has impressed me. So has Hibbert. Noah has been great. There are a lot of young bigs stepping up this year it's great to see.

Matrix3132
11-20-2009, 03:20 PM

I agree he's having a nice year but let me get this straight....you actually enjoyed watching Hibbert at Georgetown with arguably one of the most painfully boring offensive schemes in college basketball? They had some nice teams but I couldn't watch more than 5 minutes (except maybe in march)

jtrinaldi
11-20-2009, 03:20 PM
ersan illysova

Toenail Clipper
11-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Hibbert is not a lock for MIP, IMO.
Trevor Ariza and Aaron Brooks have stepped up their game.

Turtle55
11-20-2009, 03:27 PM

Damn forgot one. Thought I had a pretty complete list. Speights if he gets back from injury is a good candidate.

Diehardfan
11-20-2009, 03:27 PM
Noah!!! Hands down!!!

SirCarlton
11-20-2009, 03:33 PM
I agree he's having a nice year but let me get this straight....you actually enjoyed watching Hibbert at Georgetown with arguably one of the most painfully boring offensive schemes in college basketball? They had some nice teams but I couldn't watch more than 5 minutes (except maybe in march)

bing bing bing...winner...if jeff green was on the bench they were prettttty boring

MTone8788
11-20-2009, 03:48 PM

Unfortunately his chances are greatly reduced because he is out til Jan :(

Chronz
11-20-2009, 04:02 PM
I'd say bynum but his numbers are gonna drop because of Gasols return. Noah is also a candidate
NAH Bynums always been this good, and I doubt his #'s drop. I dont like the idea of giving the award to players who havent really improved, just our idea of him. Several players fall under this category

Another guy who was killing it last year, few thought it was legit. I suppose hes improved, but he was really good last year.

Brooks has been developing nicely but to be a MIP it has to be a huge step forward IMO. Ariza is still the same guy he was last year, hes just getting more run. But your probably right about Brooks being a contender. Id just like more of an improvement.

College basketball in general is boring to me, I just liked watching him carry the tradition and I wanted him to succeed in the pros for all those who were saying he only scored because he was so much bigger than everyone.

nashty13
11-20-2009, 04:38 PM

agreed on thomspon man...he's been a baller

Carey
11-20-2009, 04:56 PM
I wouldnt say a lock but he's def. a front runner, he's in great shape and is playing more aggressive, Noah has been great, Speights was playing well before the injury, Will Bynum should also been in consideration

STAT1
11-20-2009, 05:16 PM
no love for channing frye?

Hawkeye15
11-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Aaron Brooks right now

sofargone
11-20-2009, 05:21 PM
what pisses me off is that the raptors drafted this guy but included his rights in the JO deal a while back....

sofargone
11-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Noah!!! Hands down!!!
I think it goes to someone like channing frye

FlakeyFool
11-20-2009, 05:23 PM
marco belinelli

Chronz
11-20-2009, 05:33 PM
what pisses me off is that the raptors drafted this guy but included his rights in the JO deal a while back....

Really ?? WOW They could use a 7"2 post presence right about now

PBG
11-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Will Bynum should also been in consideration

we'll be singing a different toon once rip comes back. :(

Chronz
11-20-2009, 05:34 PM
marco belinelli

Thank you, no joke this is one of the better nominees, this is the kind of improvement youd like to see in a MIP. Then again maybe he was never given a chance to show his stuff, but based on a guy doing nothing and becoming a decent player, hes a good mention. Definitely not going to win it, but not a bad choice.

sofargone
11-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Really ?? WOW They could use a 7"2 post presence right about now

yeah i think it was TJ ford and our 1st round pick which turned out to be hibbert for JO and a 2nd round pick from indiana which turned out to be nathan jawai
yeah tell me about it the raptors need a defensive center like a hooker needs dick

Chi_Town_Boi
11-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Noah first, Marc Gasol as a close second, followed by Hibbert for me.

Sean McG
11-20-2009, 05:48 PM
yeah tell me about it the raptors need a defensive center like a hooker needs dick

LOL, ahahaa

Ray_R
11-20-2009, 07:43 PM
A. Brooks
Noah
M.Gasol
Hibbert
In that Order

J_M_B
11-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Roy Hibbert has gotten off to a great start, but I wouldn't say he was a lock.

Guys like Joakim Noah, Jason Thompson, Trevor Ariza, and many more have stepped up their games.

He's a strong canidate though and should be fun to watch as the season goes on.

ZebraCity916
11-21-2009, 04:50 AM
Hibbert has been good so far. Noah has really stepped up his game. So did Brooks and Ariza but I think Ariza would've been this good last year if he was playing as many minutes as he has this year.

If Jason Thompson's numbers keep rising I think he could be a candidate. Will Bynum has been good. Probably Andrew Bynum too if he is healthy all season. He's been a beast so far. Marc Gasol has stepped it up too.

GoatMilk
11-21-2009, 04:55 AM
like Chronz said in the beginning, Dahntay Jones is putting up numbers

I am really really impressed by him thus far.

abe_froman
11-21-2009, 05:03 AM
though i think 2nd year players should be barred from winning it(your first year after rookie,your expected to improve),but he will be one..and strong one, but def. not a lock

Yung N Fly
11-21-2009, 05:04 AM
No love for Danilo Gallinari?

ZebraCity916
11-21-2009, 05:36 AM
How did I forget to mention Dahntay Jones?? :facepalm:

He's my pick for MIP.

spreadeagle
11-21-2009, 05:42 AM
With Murphy back his numbers r gunna go way down .like 4 points 4 boards tonight

jimbobjarree
11-21-2009, 06:48 AM
MIP shouldnt go to sophmores, like no ****, obviously they're going to improve

Yung N Fly
11-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Yeah as of right now it should be Dahntay Jones hands down.

AirJordanXVIII
11-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Ariza, Noah, and then Hibbert imo..

Hibbert's numbers are gonna drop once Murphy gets back.

dolfan720
11-21-2009, 12:06 PM

Yeah I agree i say right now it looks like this
MIP
1. Ariza
2. Hibbert
3. Brooks
4. Dhanty Jones
5. Luo Williams
6. Jason Thomson
7. Fyre

Yung N Fly
11-21-2009, 12:36 PM
MIP
1. Ariza
2. Hibbert
3. Brooks
4. Dhanty Jones
5. Luo Williams
6. Jason Thomson
7. Fyre

If Hibbert and Thompson are in everyone's list than were is Danilo Gallinari?

Raph12
11-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Joakim Noah, Dahntay Jones, Aaron Brooks and a few others will give him competition.

yuns554
11-21-2009, 01:30 PM
MIP
1. Ariza
2. Hibbert
3. Brooks
4. Dhanty Jones
5. Luo Williams
6. Jason Thomson
7. Fyre

You can put Noah at the top of the list

Cubsfan365
11-21-2009, 02:30 PM
MIP
1. Ariza
2. Hibbert
3. Brooks
4. Dhanty Jones
5. Luo Williams
6. Jason Thomson
7. Fyre
How is Joakim seriously not on your list, he is averaging 12 ppg, 13 rpg, 2 blocks

rick66ankiel24
11-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Noah...

he hasnt really improved he just gets 10 more mpg than last year so of course his numbers are up. his shooting % is the same, his TO per game are up and his free throw % is down... its only been 11 games, cool your jets on joakim bein an all star

that being said, my vote would be for hibbert or brooks

td0tsfinest
11-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Noah's number have really impressed. If he continues to lead the league in rebounding, it would be a surprise to see him not take the award home.

Rodney Stuckey's name should be up there as well. He's been playing some good ball.

MIP is one of the most difficult awards. I've always thought of giving the award to someone thats completely been a surprise. Someone mention Bargnani, but with the way Andrea played last year, you could expect what his numbers would look like this year. Same with a guy like Brook Lopez.

For me, candidates got to be Ariza, Hibbert & Noah.

I still think Channing Fryes' numbers are the product of Steve Nash ala Quentin Richardson.

BlondeBomber41
11-21-2009, 03:54 PM
No, he is far from a lock. In fact I would bet against him getting it for three reasons...

1. His numbers will drop with Murphy back

2. Sophomores dont win MIP, improvement is expected.

3. Too many other more deserving players.

yuns554
11-21-2009, 03:54 PM
he hasnt really improved he just gets 10 more mpg than last year so of course his numbers are up. his shooting % is the same, his TO per game are up and his free throw % is down... its only been 11 games, cool your jets on joakim bein an all star

You could say the same for brooks and hibbert then..hibbert has been playin better because murphy has been gone lets see how he does with him back now. brooks doesnt have to defer to yao or artest so his numbers are up because of that. so you can cool your jets on hibbert and brooks.

ur arguement tryin to knock down noah doesnt really work. all 3 have a legit arguement at being MIP. thats that

KH12
11-21-2009, 04:05 PM

First of all, he's getting 7 minutes more this year than last year.

So far through this season, he's improved his scoring by 6 ppg, nearly doubling his production from last year. He's increased his rebounding by 5 more rpg, and improving upon both his apg and bpg to both 2.x per game.

Kakaroach
11-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Joakim Noah has my vote. Trevor Ariza and Aaron Brook are next and then everyone else.

chicagocubsfan
11-21-2009, 04:15 PM
I think it's between Noah and Brooks for MIP. But if the bulls go out and try to get a legit pf during the season, his numbers will drop. Though I'm very happy with Joakim's production. At the beginning of his career I thought he would be a 6pt 8rb 1blk a game guy.He's really stepped it up his junior year.

JayAllDay
11-21-2009, 04:57 PM
He could be a solid pick by year's end. But off the top of my head Chris Douglas Roberts, Joakim Noah, Marc Gasol, Trevor Ariza, Aaron Brooks, Corey Brewer, Channing Frye, Bosh (all star for a few year but hell of a start this year) would be in the running so he's far from a lock.

I think CDR is far from it as his team is still winless after losing to the Knicks. I think Bosh's game has gotten better but not as dramatic as the rest of the names you listed.

However the bolded names are awesome picks.
I have to say Channing Frye for now. I mean the boy couldn't hit the wide side of a barn his 2nd year with the Knicks, but I always thought he was a likable guy. I remember the Kung Fu celebration he did. What a goofball haha
His game seemed to have deteriorated so much and it's awesome to see him flourish finally and prove me wrong.. If he keeps it up he deserves it.

$KnicksAndKobe$
11-21-2009, 05:26 PM
MIP? Maybe not ...

Defensive player of the year? Yes very possible

$KnicksAndKobe$
11-21-2009, 05:27 PM
No, he is far from a lock. In fact I would bet against him getting it for three reasons...

1. His numbers will drop with Murphy back

2. Sophomores dont win MIP, improvement is expected.

3. Too many other more deserving players.

That is so true

rick66ankiel24
11-21-2009, 05:54 PM
First of all, he's getting 7 minutes more this year than last year.

So far through this season, he's improved his scoring by 6 ppg, nearly doubling his production from last year. He's increased his rebounding by 5 more rpg, and improving upon both his apg and bpg to both 2.x per game.

ok well lets work this one out... 33.5mpg - 24.2 mpg = 9.3 mpg increase from last year to this year.

as for scoring, he's scoring 5.4 more ppg, and thats cuz hes taking 9 shots a game (which is almost twice as much as last year) and his shooting percentage is the same, therefore he hasnt improved from last year shooting wise, he's just shooting more

he's averaging .1 more blocks per 48 min, which isnt any improvement. however, as for rebounding, hes averaging 18.1 rpg per 48 minutes, compared to 15.1 last year, so there he has improved.

so basically youre saying to give him the award because he is getting more minutes, taking more shots while making the same % of shots, and averaging a few more rebounds... that makes him the most improved player?

and boom goes the dynamite

HouRealCoach
11-21-2009, 08:42 PM
He will probably average 12, 9, 2 blk.... I wouldnt say "lock" for MIP

Cubsfan365
11-21-2009, 09:07 PM

So you're saying that Noah can't be MIP because his improvement is coming from more minutes played. Yet, you pick Hibbert as your choice when his minutes have jumped from 14 mpg to 27 mpg. So your argument is not valid because you can easily say Hibbert's better numbers are just coming from more minutes.

SA5195
11-21-2009, 09:19 PM
It's only Hibbert's second year, so IMO he's not a lock for MIP

king4day
11-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Brooks doesn't belong in the list. He's playing better but you have to look at guys like Hibbert, Belenelli, and Frye. Guys who didn't see the light of day last year and are breaking out this year. All are having career years.
I have no problem with Noah being in the list too.

king4day
11-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Noah's number have really impressed. If he continues to lead the league in rebounding, it would be a surprise to see him not take the award home.

Rodney Stuckey's name should be up there as well. He's been playing some good ball.

MIP is one of the most difficult awards. I've always thought of giving the award to someone thats completely been a surprise. Someone mention Bargnani, but with the way Andrea played last year, you could expect what his numbers would look like this year. Same with a guy like Brook Lopez.

For me, candidates got to be Ariza, Hibbert & Noah.

I still think Channing Fryes' numbers are the product of Steve Nash ala Quentin Richardson.

A lot of players excel in different systems.
Ben Wallace is better in a slow it down style of play. May as well throw him in there too.
Frye didn't play a lot last year and the year before.
System or not, he has to be in consideration.

zambo4president
11-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Joakim Noah? :shrug:

championships
11-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Can't say I have paid attention.

I Am Awesome-O
11-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Marc Gasol.

ldc62
11-22-2009, 12:06 AM
I also pick Marc Gasol... Hibbert will end up getting 12 pts a game which is not impressive.

Chronz
11-22-2009, 12:14 AM
Good point about them being sophmores but there is something to be said for expecting someone to progress, and seeing someone to blow up like Hib did for a select games, but hes still struggling with fouls from what I saw against Cleveland, though he did get some tough calls.