PDA

View Full Version : Where will Garrett Atkins play in 2010?

Tone091
11-20-2009, 10:53 AM
I think he has a great upside and could make a lot of teams better. He could end up being the best 3rd base signing this off season once he is released in December.

Tone091
11-20-2009, 10:54 AM
BTW, I think the O's snag him up.

natepro
11-20-2009, 11:06 AM
I think he has a great upside and could make a lot of teams better. He could end up being the best 3rd base signing this off season once he is released in December.

If he stays at the position, the best 3B signing will be Chone Figgins.

TalkinGiant
11-20-2009, 11:12 AM
San Francisco Giants...this makes the most sense for both parties. The G-Men need a power bat to accompany Pablo "Panda" Sandoval and Atkins fits the bill very well.

Tone091
11-20-2009, 11:16 AM
If Atkins plays the way he did in 2006, 2007 and 2008 I would take him over Figgins, hands down. Not that i believe Figgins is not a great player but considering the age and potential of Atkins I would rather have him.

miller74
11-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Why are they going to release him

Tone091
11-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Because they want to get Ian Steward into the lineup regularly.

HipSlappyJoe
11-20-2009, 11:22 AM
because ian stewart is cheaper, more talented, and has more upside than the atkins diet.

natepro
11-20-2009, 11:25 AM
If Atkins plays the way he did in 2006, 2007 and 2008 I would take him over Figgins, hands down. Not that i believe Figgins is not a great player but considering the age and potential of Atkins I would rather have him.

Figgins' last three years, 2007, 2008, and 2009, have been more productive than Atkins' best three years, 2005, 2006, and 2007, when you look at their WAR. Also, WAR doesn't take baserunning into account, and per FanGraphs:

The Legend of Chone Figgins continues to grow. From 2007-2009, Figgins has been good for 19 runs of non-steals baserunning and 21 runs worth of fielding. It will be fascinating to see what sort of contract he gets on the free agent market.

donnie23
11-20-2009, 11:57 AM
My guess is Baltimore. Figgins, Beltre, Tejada, and DeRosa will go to the teams not willing to risk Atkins ups and downs. Atkins and Feliz will end up on near contenders.

miller74
11-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Because they want to get Ian Steward into the lineup regularly.

They cant trade him? as a blue jay fan i would love to have Atkins and would pay to get him

Rocktober2009
11-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Ian Stewart is much better defensivly and Atkins was just awful last year, no way he's back in Colorado next year, he and Brad Hawpe are on their way out most likely

TheRuckus
11-20-2009, 10:05 PM
Atkins doesn't deserve a starting job anywhere. He barely deserves a roster spot at this point.

fishfan79
11-20-2009, 10:09 PM
i would say 1 year 2 million to florida, prove himself to be a good player get traded or walk for big bucks. But florida is too cheap

TO Rapz
11-20-2009, 10:10 PM
They cant trade him? as a blue jay fan i would love to have Atkins and would pay to get him

x2

brewersfan729
11-20-2009, 10:19 PM

He made over $7M IIRC in arbitration last year and was below replacement level this year. Why would you trade for him and pay him that much when he was that bad?

dodgersuck
11-20-2009, 10:35 PM
For some reason I see him in Baltimore

gfixer33
11-20-2009, 10:39 PM
o's are only going to sign a 3b for 1 year probably they have josh bell in waiting.i say atkins to the giants.

Nirvanaskurdt
11-20-2009, 10:52 PM
St Louis Cardinals maybe :shrug:

Twins Fan 7
11-20-2009, 11:10 PM
I think the Phillies would be a good fit. Didn't he go to school with Chase Utley?

TheRuckus
11-21-2009, 12:26 AM
I think the Phillies would be a good fit. Didn't he go to school with Chase Utley?

No thanks. We like players that don't suck.

Atkins, realistically, is probably Plan H for how the Phillies want to fill the hole they created at third base by declining Feliz's option. Beltre, Figgins, DeRosa, Kouzmanoff and Feliz himself should all be above Atkins, as well as a couple of other guys I can't think of right now.

But yes, Atkins and Utley are buddies from their time playing together at UCLA.

theproof
11-21-2009, 01:12 AM
Please not to the Giants. Beltre would be a million times better. I've seen Atkins enough times this season when we played the Rockies to know that this dudes career is heading down not up. If he put those type of numbers up at Coors than imagine how bad they would look at AT @ T Park.

N.Z's #1 Dodger
11-21-2009, 01:40 AM
Just get him and Hawpe out of the NL West, those guys kill the Dodgers.

Young2Kinsler
11-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Atkins makes alot of sense for Texas

MooseWithFleas
11-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Atkins makes alot of sense for Texas

How so? I don't see where he fits unless you want him to split time with Davis at 1B until Smoak is ready. With Murphy, Cruz, Hamilton, Borbon in the OF, one of them has to get DH time and all of those options are superior to Atkins.

Young2Kinsler
11-21-2009, 03:48 PM
How so? I don't see where he fits unless you want him to split time with Davis at 1B until Smoak is ready. With Murphy, Cruz, Hamilton, Borbon in the OF, one of them has to get DH time and all of those options are superior to Atkins.

Well, Texas desperately needs a right handed bat with some pop. I don't see us being able to land some of the high priced FA like Vlad, Holliday ect... although I think Dye might fall into our laps kinda like an Abreu deal last season. Anyways back to Atkins...

While I know he was pretty bad last season, he has shown in the past that he can fit the need Texas has. He would be coming to another hitter friendly park, and working with a hitting coach that he is very familiar with.

As for our OF as it stands now, there has been rumors that Texas may look into a dealing an OF like Cruz or Murphy, and go with a younger option like Craig Gentry as a 4th OF. Some think Cruz's value may never be higher.

Even if we don't trade one, Atkins could still get AB at DH, 1B, and 3rd base. While he isn't the end all be all that we need, if it's a cheaper option we have a shot at, it might be a fit for now. All that being said, Texas DESPERATELY needs a right handed bat who can hit cleanup, protect Hamilton, and drive in runs. I think that guy is Cruz, but I don't know if management is sold on that. If Atkins returned to old form hitting 25 HR and driving in 100, Texas lineup would be potent once again.

yankkiller
11-21-2009, 03:55 PM

3 team deal

Rangers get Atkins
Boston get Micheal Young
Rockies get Tex C Max Rameriz, Tex OF David Murphy, Bos SP Micheal Bowden, Bos RP Dustin Richardson.

This then clears up some salary for the rangers to sign Vladdy. And for the soxs this gives them a much needed SS. Rockies get 3 legit prospects and a good OF

Rangers lingeup 2010
CF Bordon
2B Kinsler
DH Vladdy
LF Hamilton
RF Cruz
1B Davis
3B Atkins
C Saltalamacchia
SS Andrus

Red Sox lineup 2010
CF Ellsbury
2B Pedroia
SS Young
C Martinez
1B Youkillis
DH Ortiz
LF Bay/Holliday/Dye
RF Drew
3B Lowell

MooseWithFleas
11-21-2009, 04:01 PM
Well, Texas desperately needs a right handed bat with some pop. I don't see us being able to land some of the high priced FA like Vlad, Holliday ect... although I think Dye might fall into our laps kinda like an Abreu deal last season. Anyways back to Atkins...

While I know he was pretty bad last season, he has shown in the past that he can fit the need Texas has. He would be coming to another hitter friendly park, and working with a hitting coach that he is very familiar with.

As for our OF as it stands now, there has been rumors that Texas may look into a dealing an OF like Cruz or Murphy, and go with a younger option like Craig Gentry as a 4th OF. Some think Cruz's value may never be higher.

Even if we don't trade one, Atkins could still get AB at DH, 1B, and 3rd base. While he isn't the end all be all that we need, if it's a cheaper option we have a shot at, it might be a fit for now. All that being said, Texas DESPERATELY needs a right handed bat who can hit cleanup, protect Hamilton, and drive in runs. I think that guy is Cruz, but I don't know if management is sold on that. If Atkins returned to old form hitting 25 HR and driving in 100, Texas lineup would be potent once again.

I think Vlad might come cheaper than you think. What about Thome to fill in at DH part time and 1B occasionally. I think he could give you 300 AB's. Atkins is a butcher in the field, has lost all plate discipline he ever had, and is a horror outside of Coors. I know you are looking for a cheap fix because of payroll constraints, but Atkins is not the solution.

3 team deal

Rangers get Atkins
Boston get Micheal Young
Rockies get Tex C Max Rameriz, Tex OF David Murphy, Bos SP Micheal Bowden, Bos RP Dustin Richardson.

This then clears up some salary for the rangers to sign Vladdy. And for the soxs this gives them a much needed SS. Rockies get 3 legit prospects and a good OF

Rangers lingeup 2010
CF Bordon
2B Kinsler
DH Vladdy
LF Hamilton
RF Cruz
1B Davis
3B Atkins
C Saltalamacchia
SS Andrus

Red Sox lineup 2010
CF Ellsbury
2B Pedroia
SS Young
C Martinez
1B Youkillis
DH Ortiz
LF Bay/Holliday/Dye
RF Drew
3B Lowell

Is there part of this deal I'm missing? Rangers give up Murphy, Young, Max Ramirez for Garrett Atkins?!?!?!?!!?! A player that is going to be non-tendered?? I don't think ANYONE should trade ANYTHING for Atkins, the Rockies are not going to offer him a contract, so why trade for him? I don't like making fun of trade proposals, because they are all in good fun, but dear lord. If the Rangers did that I would be on the phone asking if they would trade Young and Smoak for John Mayberry Jr.

yankkiller
11-21-2009, 04:35 PM
I think Vlad might come cheaper than you think. What about Thome to fill in at DH part time and 1B occasionally. I think he could give you 300 AB's. Atkins is a butcher in the field, has lost all plate discipline he ever had, and is a horror outside of Coors. I know you are looking for a cheap fix because of payroll constraints, but Atkins is not the solution.

Is there part of this deal I'm missing? Rangers give up Murphy, Young, Max Ramirez for Garrett Atkins?!?!?!?!!?! A player that is going to be non-tendered?? I don't think ANYONE should trade ANYTHING for Atkins, the Rockies are not going to offer him a contract, so why trade for him? I don't like making fun of trade proposals, because they are all in good fun, but dear lord. If the Rangers did that I would be on the phone asking if they would trade Young and Smoak for John Mayberry Jr.

Boston would have to throw a couple prospects your way too i just don't know who texas would be looking for. Perhaps Delcarmen, Kotchman, and, Jeff francis

brandonwarne52
11-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Please, not Minnesota.

Young2Kinsler
11-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Texas will not trade Michael Young, period. Also No one will trade for Atkins.

Zmaster52
11-21-2009, 06:14 PM
i wouldn't be surprised if a team signs him for 1st base or left field or w/e other positions he plays

SOX0407
11-21-2009, 07:48 PM
I f we dont get Beltre, he lands in Boston hitting 7th.

Fred
11-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Beltre will be playing for the phils

Forty6and2
11-21-2009, 10:06 PM
OMG. why all this fuss about Atkins. I think he sucks

bagwell368
11-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Why was he realeased?

Look at the progression of BA/OBP/SLG over the last 4 years:

BA: .329, .301, .286, .226
OBP: .409, .367, .328, .308
SLG: .556, .486, .452, .342

OPS+ 136, 113, 96, 66

It's a very linear and very steep decline. Maybe he is hurt, maybe pitchers have his number, who knows. He's also a total butcher in the field. Whoever said he would be the best 3B this year is daft.