PDA

View Full Version : Sneaking a suspended player on the court in a teammate's uniform

DenButsu
11-19-2009, 09:55 PM
I'll move this to the FIBA/International basketball forum later, but I wanted to post it in here first just so more people could see it, since it's such a crazy story. Can you imagine some team trying to pull this in the NBA?

Sneaking a suspended player on the court in a teammate's uniform

By Henry Abbott

It's one of the ballsiest basketball offenses imaginable.

A player is suspended for five games for fighting. His team will really miss him. So they hatch a cunning plan, and on a road trip where they hope nobody will notice the difference they slip him onto the court in a teammate's uniform.

If you saw this on some TV drama you'd say "That is so totally fake. Nobody would try that. They'd get caught, for one thing. And most coaches and players just wouldn't go along with that kind of craziness."

But it really happened!

And, in one of the weirder turns of events, the team that did it was the exact same Turkish team that was just in the media (including TrueHoop) after playing a game that ended in a brawl.

Galatasaray Café Crown is the team. The (now fired) coach is Okan Çevik. The player is Cemal Nalga.

The coach says that the team had experienced several injuries, so they knowingly sent Nalga out there in his teammates uniform for a couple of exhibition games in Germany against Deutsche Bank Skyliner and EnBW Ludwigsburg. The player says he was just following orders.

Even though the entire coaching staff has been sacked, the team remains at risk of being fined and demoted from Turkey's top league.

The amazing thing is that the fraud almost worked. Even though the guy is hard to miss with both a big beard and a big build (watch the video), he was only detected, according to a report, after a rival team noticed suspiciously good statistics for Tufan Ersöz, the player whose jersey Nalga was wearing.truehoop (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/10803/sneaking-a-suspended-player-on-the-court-in-a-teammates-uniform)

^More tot he article at the link.

sofargone
11-19-2009, 09:58 PM
lol bad decision.

Draco
11-19-2009, 10:12 PM
inspired by the story of Johnny Killroy.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-19-2009, 10:30 PM
When Lebron gets suspended, we will make him wear a Jamario Moon jersey.

dodie53
11-19-2009, 10:41 PM
stupid move.

PurpleJesus
11-19-2009, 10:43 PM
what a dumb coach, i hope the team doesnt get demoted from that league, they fired every but the player responsible for that.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-19-2009, 10:44 PM
It might be a stupid move but I know you guys would probably want that to happen in the NBA just for kicks.

madiaz3
11-19-2009, 11:00 PM
It might be a stupid move but I know you guys would probably want that to happen in the NBA just for kicks.

nate robinson and 50 cent swap places

MDfootball36
11-19-2009, 11:20 PM
i could see the knicks doing that

Raps18-19 Champ
11-19-2009, 11:24 PM
nate robinson and 50 cent swap places

Eddy Curry and Hamburgler

sofargone
11-19-2009, 11:26 PM
i could see the knicks doing that

nobody would notice