PDA

View Full Version : Ron Artest Apologizes to Fan (Who threw the cup) in Detroit Mayley 2004

ko8e24
11-19-2009, 04:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4670842

John Green, the fan who five years ago today sparked the infamous Pistons-Pacers brawl by throwing a beverage at Ron Artest, said Thursday the two have spoken recently and hope to partner together for some type of community-service endeavor, possibly in Detroit.

Appearing on "ESPN First Take" on Thursday, Green recounted the incident and the changes he's made in his life since initiating one of the worst brawls in U.S. sports history. He said Artest called his home several months ago to apologize.

"He said that he was sorry, that ... the whole thing embarrassed him as it did me," Green said. "He wanted to do something for the community for troubled youth. Of course, I can't do much on this end without him.

"We tried to come up with something to give back to the community and come up with something positive. It's not like it's not always going to be known as the brawl, but maybe we could take something good out of it. We're going to try to do something in inner-city Detroit or L.A., maybe after the season ends and he has more free time on his hands."

Green was convicted of misdemeanor assault -- he punched Artest when the player stormed into the crowd at Detroit's Palace of Auburn Hills -- and sentenced to 30 days in jail and two years' probation. He also was ordered to attend Alcoholics Anonymous and anger management counseling, and was banished for life from Detroit's home games.

ESPN 1000, Chicago
Los Angeles Lakers forward Ron Artest joined "The Waddle & Silvy Show" to discuss his L.A. experience as well as trying to get together with his adversary from his brawl at The Palace of Auburn Hills.

More Podcasts

Artest, who now plays for the Los Angeles Lakers, was suspended for the remainder of the 2003-04 season and lost approximately $5 million in salary. Overall, the NBA banned nine players for more than 140 games combined. Artest's suspension was the largest ever levied for a fight during a game.

"I remember throwing the cup, actually a cup of Diet Coke, not a beer, but I had been drinking and I've had issues with alcohol in the past," Green told "ESPN First Take." "I remember [Artest] running into the stands and grabbing the wrong person and I felt bad. I grabbed Artest from behind, the whole thing was kind of a huge blur. It happened so fast."

"Just a very bad scene," Green said. "It was a scary situation."

Green said he's made strides in his problems with alcohol.

"You know, I realized then the trouble I got in that night pretty much stemmed from alcohol," he said. "I wouldn't have done that sober. Look at the video of people throwing stuff. One little thing triggered this huge event with people throwing stuff and getting way out of hand. It all stemmed from alcohol. If we can control that, we can control these situations."

Artest returned to The Palace of Auburn Hills in 2007 for the first time since the brawl as a member of the Sacramento Kings. There was no backlash.

"He's reached out to the community," Green said. "He's trying his hardest to let people know he's not the same person."

aman_13
11-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Nevermind this post.

ko8e24
11-19-2009, 04:38 PM
LOL, he apologizes five years later.

really???

dude, it was the fan who started that whole crap. Yes Artest was/is crazy, but he apologized to the fan (who initiated everything).

artest couldve just apologized to the nba world, but he didn't have to apologize to this particular fan

COBY KARL
11-19-2009, 04:43 PM
lol did he apologize to the wrong guy that he actually hit

ko8e24
11-19-2009, 05:27 PM
lol did he apologize to the wrong guy that he actually hit

ya, he hit the wrong guy, and the guy in the blue cap pulling artest from behind was actually the guy who threw the cup, lol

Pierzynski4Prez
11-19-2009, 05:41 PM
I read on here a while ago from another poster saying he had heard that since the Brawl, Artest has smoked with the dude. Not sure how much truth there is to that, just sayin. If you were the one who posted that and are reading this, please enlighten us.

Gators123
11-19-2009, 05:42 PM
Artest should have fought Ben Wallace not the fans :pity:

Spurred1
11-19-2009, 05:45 PM
I think it is melee...not mayley.
Well, better late than never, I guess.
And alcohol abuse isn't an excuse for such embarrassing behavior from anyone.

Big Zo
11-19-2009, 05:48 PM
I still think Ben Wallace should have gotten a more severe punishment for starting it all. Not more severe than Artest's obviously, but definitely more than what he got.

Toenail Clipper
11-19-2009, 05:49 PM
He should apologize for throwing Ariza's shoes

ZebraCity916
11-19-2009, 05:50 PM

I think Big Ben would've won that fight.

Slimsim
11-19-2009, 05:55 PM

Not even Artest is that crazy. Denis Rodman would have though

The_Mac22
11-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Ben Wallace would have ****ed him up.

wileyisTOFU
11-19-2009, 06:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J82P2Q2y_F0

Raph12
11-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Very mature move on Ron-ron's part, I for one am impressed.

pd7631
11-19-2009, 06:24 PM
The fan should apologize to Ron Artest for being a drunk *******.

aman_13
11-19-2009, 06:28 PM
really???

dude, it was the fan who started that whole crap. Yes Artest was/is crazy, but he apologized to the fan (who initiated everything).

artest couldve just apologized to the nba world, but he didn't have to apologize to this particular fan

My bad, i didn't bother to read the article, and just made that comment based on the thread title.

Nofear
11-19-2009, 06:39 PM
LOL, he apologizes five years later.

If someone cost me 5 million, I'd never appologize. Cut the guy some slack because its not always that easy to reach out to someone like he did.

I give this appology alot more credit than some scripted public address appology that was written by a lawyer and not the speaker.

jetsfan28
11-19-2009, 06:41 PM
I didn't have much of a problem with what he did then, and I don't now. The fan broke the boundary between fan and player, not him. Nor do I have a problem with Jackson defending him.

Both guys owe apologies to their teammates and the league, and Artest owes one to the fan he charged at incorrectly. But I would not apologize to the fan who threw it, or the fans who subsequently came after them.

PBG
11-19-2009, 06:46 PM
I didn't have much of a problem with what he did then, and I don't now. The fan broke the boundary between fan and player, not him. Nor do I have a problem with Jackson defending him.

the fan did what any over enthusiastic fan would do. if i was getting paid millions to play basketball, id let people throw cups at me all day without getting all butt hurt, but ****, ron artest is "so hood/so gutta (http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Premiere+Columbia+Pictures+Taking+Pelham+1+t7hXqSr ZZOpl.jpg)". so i guess i understand.

ron artest should apologize for still wearing them bootleg hats you find at a gas station even though hes a millionaire.....

aZekuiS
11-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Ron Artest has a documentary coming out and he's promoting it by doing things like this... you guys didn't actually think he is sorry for anything, did you?

sofargone
11-19-2009, 08:49 PM
the fan did what any over enthusiastic fan would do. if i was getting paid millions to play basketball, id let people throw cups at me all day without getting all butt hurt, but ****, ron artest is "so hood/so gutta (http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Premiere+Columbia+Pictures+Taking+Pelham+1+t7hXqSr ZZOpl.jpg)". so i guess i understand.

ron artest should apologize for still wearing them bootleg hats you find at a gas station even though hes a millionaire.....
LOL the link is jokes

jetsfan28
11-19-2009, 10:56 PM

The fan broke the law. Exactly how many over enthusiastic fans have you seen throw beers at NBA players uring games? Because I've seen exactly 1.

aman_13
11-19-2009, 11:42 PM
If someone cost me 5 million, I'd never appologize. Cut the guy some slack because its not always that easy to reach out to someone like he did.

I give this appology alot more credit than some scripted public address appology that was written by a lawyer and not the speaker.

Like i said before, i didn't bother to read the article, which is my fault. I completely forgot he was provoked.

spreadeagle
11-19-2009, 11:52 PM
off topic Ron Ron is not doin so well for me in Fantasy,With Gasol back,his numbers will be even lower:eyebrow:

spreadeagle
11-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Artest funny as hell,I like em.Id be proud to say I got in a fight with some NBA dudes,Guy should have just laughed it off.He threw the cup damn idiot

blah-blah
11-19-2009, 11:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulqFFtnHpog&feature=related

spreadeagle
11-20-2009, 12:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulqFFtnHpog&feature=related

Thats kool.like a mosh pit hahahah.Fans love him.I really hope he wins a Title