PDA

View Full Version : Dime Magazine's Top 5 Suitors for Monta Ellis

asandhu23
11-18-2009, 07:19 PM
http://dimemag.com/2009/11/5-suitors-for-the-inevitable-monta-ellis-trade/

By Aron Phillips

At this point, it appears that itís not if, but rather when, Monta Ellis will be traded from the Warriors. With his agent, Jeff Fried, scheduled to meet with team management in Oakland tomorrow, apparently at Don Nelsonís urging, Golden State has been calling teams and offering to trade Ellis all week.

We all know the stories. From throwing his teammates under the bus to beefing with Steph Curry to his verbal altercation with Nellie in New York, things have not been good since Monta signed his deal to stay in the Bay. Probably didnít help with that whole moped thing.

Like Stephen Jackson and Al Harrington before him, when players want out of the Bay, they seem to get their wish. But with four years and $44 million owed to him after this season, heís not as easily movable as you may think. With that in mind though, here are five potential suitors for Monta:

1. Philadelphia: Monta Ellis for Samuel Dalembert
Like any trade, both teams needs to be willing to part with something. And thatís definitely the case here. The Sixers are in desperate need of another guard, and one that can score, while the Warriors could use an athletic big man in Dalembert.

2. New Orleans: Monta Ellis for Emeka Okafor
With Chris Paul out for the next couple weeks, the Hornets need to act fast. And what better way than to bring in another exciting guard who can take some of the burden off CP3 once he returns. We all know that the Hornets have been underwhelmed for with Okaforís production since heís come down to NOLA, and the Warriors would love to have the athletic big shore up their front line. Could be one of the nastiest backcourts in the League.

3. LA Clippers: Monta Ellis for Baron Davis
This would be perfect for both teams. Although heís back home in Los Angeles, Davis hasnít been the same since he left Golden State. Plus, the Clippers are basically getting the same type of player - but younger. With so much turmoil up in the Bay, bringing Boom Dizzle back for a renaissance would be a gift to their fans.

4. Cleveland: Monta Ellis for Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Could you imagine a backcourt of Mo Williams, Monta Ellis and LeBron James? While that might be too much firepower for the Cavs, this would definitely be a move in the right direction to get LeBron to think about Cleveland past 2010. With all the injuries on the Warriors, Big Z would get the minutes heís looking for in Golden State and the cap space after this season. Win-win for both teams.

5. New York: Monta Ellis for Eddy Curry
I know that the Knicks have no desire to acquire long term deals, but itís becoming increasingly more evident that New York needs some glimmer of hope before any free agent (that wants to win) is going to sign there. Plus, Montaís deal would be on the books, but at least heíd be productive. Ellis would not only help the Knicks win some games this year, but heíd also sell some jerseys. While E-City probably wouldnít have much to contribute for the Warriors, if theyíre in desperate need to ship Ellis, this move should be considered.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

dolfan720
11-18-2009, 07:21 PM
houston?? Ellis for battier

asandhu23
11-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Warriors fan, lets chant " fire don nelson" at the next home game. Lets show the management that they are pissing us off

dwadefan03
11-18-2009, 07:33 PM
^theres so much talent in gstate. i love watching them especially when baron was there. too bad nellie ruins it with his horrendous coaching. he needs to retire as a coach and become a scout.

caddiemaster
11-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Those trades suck!

thedfactor
11-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Dallas: Josh Howard for Monta Ellis

Kdirt
11-18-2009, 07:44 PM
All pretty poor trades...

Okafor has too long of a contract
SammyD isnt fair value
Baron for Monta? Whats the purpose?
Curry for Monta is simply a LOL
BigZ for Monta... could work, but Cleveland would have to include Hickson or atleast a first rd pick

dtmagnet
11-18-2009, 07:50 PM
Hahaha Eddy Curry that's a good one.

BkOriginalOne
11-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Their giving Ellis away for nothing in all of those trades, he only makes 11 mil, so maybe a rookie and a solid vet.

FOBolous
11-18-2009, 08:06 PM

ew...horrible trade. tmac for ellis is better.

allvalleychamp
11-18-2009, 08:17 PM
he is a very very young potential all-star, he won't be given away just for cap relief, talent will cone bak if he's moved

asandhu23
11-18-2009, 08:19 PM
If Monta is gone, Warriors are going back to the Dark Ages. David Stern needs to step in and STOP THIS MADNESS! :mad:

TheKing23
11-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Big Z and a first rounder for Monta... Get it done Ferry.

Vinny642
11-18-2009, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't mind Ellis

Kakaroach
11-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Hahaha I almost pissed my pants when I read Monta for Curry.

But seriously, Big Z and a first rounder seem like the most fair.

WSU Tony
11-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Dime Magazine? Who the hell cares what they think about basketball?

HoopsDrive
11-18-2009, 09:45 PM
LOL Curry... oh man, seriously, Z and Hiccups for Dew and it might work for both.

HouRealCoach
11-18-2009, 11:39 PM

hell no

sofargone
11-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Eddy curry?!

asandhu23
11-19-2009, 12:41 AM
Imagine 2 Curry's on the Warriors. The Indian community in the Bay Area would go crazy

GCOOKIE7
11-19-2009, 12:44 AM
simple *** trades.

Westbrook36
11-19-2009, 12:49 AM
1. Philadelphia: Monta Ellis for Samuel Dalembert
Like any trade, both teams needs to be willing to part with something. And thatís definitely the case here. The Sixers are in desperate need of another guard, and one that can score, while the Warriors could use an athletic big man in Dalembert.

Let's get it done Ed!

OaklandsFinest
11-19-2009, 01:17 AM
I would do an Okafor plus a first rounder for Ellis no problem. Maybe Eddy Curry and 2 first rounders gets it done. I think the clincher as got to be possible lottery picks. Curry is on the last year of his contract so that makes him valuable. I would almost prefer the Eddy Curry deal especially if we can get a couple first rounders for him. Create cap room and lottery picks and we can attract a Joe Johnson, or a Rudy Gay to come to the Bay and compete with Randolph, Biedrens, Azabukie, and John Wall!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's pray we get lucky enough to wipe that contract off and get first rounders for him.

Gnac76
11-19-2009, 01:24 AM
I said this in the other thread but if GS acquired dalembert in the 2011 off season they'd be around 18 mil under the cap to sign a stud FA... sammy for monta is not fair value but GS fans if you want to get better, be bad this season (by trading away arguably ur best player), get a high pick. Then in 2011, get a big name FA .. then there you have it your a competitive team again...

Just saying...

wileyisTOFU
11-19-2009, 01:28 AM

nooooooo, rather have brooks on the cheap.

Gibby
11-19-2009, 02:02 AM
none of the trades are fair. how is Big Z and a 1st rounder a fair trade. Big z is just an expiring contract. If its clev 1st then its 20th -30th and Monta Ellis is worth more.

Gibby
11-19-2009, 02:03 AM
btw nice tag "the writer is on crack"

Teeboy1487
11-19-2009, 02:14 AM
I heard on Hoopshype that Ellis does not want to be traded, but he is unhappy though. I think he should just stay in Golden State.

CraigInSanJose
11-19-2009, 02:23 AM
Trade ID #5290505

Ellis and George for Z and Hickson. Cleveland also throws in a first and second round pick.

Don't know if the Cavs would do it, but I'd love it as a Warriors fan getting an expiring and an athletic 6'9" guy with muscle like Hickson. Warriors have needed that kind of prospect for years. May be too many play makers for the Cavs though.

Also like these two from the Knicks.

Trade ID #5290542

Ellis and George for Hill, Milicic and Robinson

Trade ID #5290547

Ellis, Claxton and George for Hill, Robinson and Curry.

Both close to the same trade, basically just subbing in Curry for Darko and adding in Claxton.

NY still gets some relief with George and/or Claxton expiring. Warriors get some much needed big help in Hill/Darko and get a player in Robinson who can be a contributor off the bench. Hill is a guy the Warriors seemed to like predraft who seems like a bit of a project, but is a young promising player that they can get in return. Darko might not be anything special once again, but he should be able to get minutes for the undersized Warriors right now and actually does attempt to play D sometimes.

NY gets Monta. The dynamic play maker they need. Duhon gets pushed to the bench and all of a sudden they've got a big scoring team. They wouldn't lose any starters and would only be losing guys who are minimal contributors on the bench right now. Claxton and George both come off the books after this year.

Either way they'd still keep one backup center in Curry or Darko while only giving up a guy they probably won't resign in Robinson (same can be said about Curry and Darko for that matter) and a promising piece in Hill, but hey you've gotta give up talent to get talent right?

Thoughts?

EDIT
Any trade involving can't be made until mid-late December once his trade restriction goes away. Again not like it would happen, but hey fun to think about.

asandhu23
11-19-2009, 02:25 AM
btw nice tag "the writer is on crack"

:d