PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: 3 Team Deal

Boston-Born
11-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Initial trade talks involving the White Sox, San Diego and the Los Angeles Angels would send Padres left-handed-hitting first baseman Adrian Gonzalez to the Sox, first baseman Paul Konerko to the Angels and prospects to the Padres, SoxNet.net reported Monday.

Chicago Tribune

FlakeyFool
11-17-2009, 02:12 PM
interesting deal

Twitchy
11-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Why would the Angels want Konerko when they have Morales? I don't see why the Angels would do it. Even if Vlad isn't the DH anymore they could put Rivera or Abreu there.

Not like Konerko's even been good the last couple of years. 06 was the last time he had an OPS above 850 and for a 1B that's not very impressive.

donnie23
11-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Why would the Angels want Konerko when they have Morales? I don't see why the Angels would do it. Even if Vlad isn't the DH anymore they could put Rivera or Abreu there.

Not like Konerko's even been good the last couple of years. 06 was the last time he had an OPS above 850 and for a 1B that's not very impressive.

I'm sure the bulk of the prospects are from the WhiteSox. The Sox just need a player to finish the deal and the Angels probably aren't using the final piece anyways so why not pick up Konerko? You have the DH.

waffles
11-17-2009, 02:32 PM

exactly--why would the angels even touch this deal? konerko is a decent hitter, but i don't think he's what the angels are looking for.. unless they're replacing vlad with him.

i could be mistaken..

donnie23
11-17-2009, 02:34 PM
How can you say they don't need him when you don't even know what he cost them?

Diehardfan
11-17-2009, 02:37 PM
They would be. Plus the White Sox would more than likely eat up some of his contract if not half of it. We are talking about Adrain Gonzales here. That has to be a big part of the trade.

Diehardfan
11-17-2009, 02:40 PM
It would make up for what Konerko would get paid this year. Not to mention Gonzales is only making 5mil this season and 5.5mil next season.

NCBoSoxfan21
11-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Angels are getting screwed. Not happening.

I think they meant the RED Sox.

donnie23
11-17-2009, 02:45 PM

How can this mean the Angels are getting screwed? You don't even know if they gave up anything or if the WhiteSox are eating Konerko's salary.

Imperial
11-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Chicago Tribune

Hard to tell if the rumor has any validity or not with so little information. And this could just be a negotiating ploy by Jed Hoyer to drive up Gonzalez' price in prospects from other teams. Seems a bit early to move him.

donnie23
11-17-2009, 02:54 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2009/11/report-of-three-way-trade-talks-involving-adrian-gonzalez-to-the-white-sox-raise-complex-issues.html

pf289
11-17-2009, 02:56 PM
This deal is just plain ******** for the Angels. Why would they even consider this?

Imperial
11-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Yeah, this doesn't seem to make sense for the Angels. If they were asked to help out, it's because the White Sox didn't have enough top notch prospects they were willing to give up. So the Angels would likely have to give up a good prospect to have Konerko for one year at $12 million before he becomes a free agent.

swagga81
11-17-2009, 03:00 PM
i god hope this is just a rumor! im sick of the white sox

Imperial
11-17-2009, 03:05 PM
i god hope this is just a rumor! im sick of the white sox

It would be interesting to see what kind of offensive numbers A-Gon could put up though going from PETCO to U.S. Cellular.

donnie23
11-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Yeah, this doesn't seem to make sense for the Angels. If they were asked to help out, it's because the White Sox didn't have enough top notch prospects they were willing to give up. So the Angels would likely have to give up a good prospect to have Konerko for one year at $12 million before he becomes a free agent.

Or maybe a prospect who is blocked in Anaheim. Maybe they are getting tired of waiting for Kendrick or Wood?

VRP723
11-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Why is this a bad move for the Angels? We don't know what they're trading

kyubi256
11-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Or maybe a prospect who is blocked in Anaheim. Maybe they are getting tired of waiting for Kendrick or Wood?

Giving Kendrick/Wood for Konerko isn't that good of a deal for the Angels either

Twitchy
11-17-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm sure the bulk of the prospects are from the WhiteSox. The Sox just need a player to finish the deal and the Angels probably aren't using the final piece anyways so why not pick up Konerko? You have the DH.

There's no need to pick up Konerko cause he'd be a below average DH that costs 12 million a season.

And if they give up Wood or Kendrick like you mentioned in another post than it just makes it even dumber. If the Angels actually would give Wood a seasons worth of at bat (something they haven't done, because Scoscia has a hard on for Maicer Izturis) than he'd probably equal the production at a fraction of the cost and with the benefit of actually being able to play defense. Konerko's been an 840 OPS guy the past 3 years, and I'd like to think Wood could put up something like that if someone gives him a shot.

SB75
11-17-2009, 03:43 PM
I really think Gonzales will end up with the Braves or Redsox. They both have high quality prospects and the need for him.

infernoscurse
11-17-2009, 03:44 PM
maybe someones taking gary matthews contract

Bronxbombers182
11-17-2009, 03:45 PM
I'd be willing to bet, this doesn't happen. If the Red Sox don't try and get this guy, they are stupid.

ruckus16969
11-17-2009, 03:45 PM

If they let Vlad walk Konerko would most likely DH. Or he could play LF can't he?

donnie23
11-17-2009, 03:55 PM
There's no need to pick up Konerko cause he'd be a below average DH that costs 12 million a season.

And if they give up Wood or Kendrick like you mentioned in another post than it just makes it even dumber. If the Angels actually would give Wood a seasons worth of at bat (something they haven't done, because Scoscia has a hard on for Maicer Izturis) than he'd probably equal the production at a fraction of the cost and with the benefit of actually being able to play defense. Konerko's been an 840 OPS guy the past 3 years, and I'd like to think Wood could put up something like that if someone gives him a shot.

Eh, maybe. I'm not saying it's one of those guys and I'm certainly not saying Anaheim is paying all his salary. I'm just saying it's moronnic for someone to say adding Konerko is a bad deal with no idea of the price.

DodgerBlue83
11-17-2009, 04:29 PM
This would be a stupid idea for the Angels. Why would LAA agree to take on PK when they could just deal with the Padres directly and trade for AG?

tbone2171
11-17-2009, 04:34 PM
I hope this is just a rumor..I wouldn't be able to tell Ozzie Guillen and Adrian Gonzalez apart.

Tragedy
11-17-2009, 04:39 PM

Exactly. And if they want Konerko to DH, just keep Vladdy.

Won't happen..Not like this, anyways.

natepro
11-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Eh, maybe. I'm not saying it's one of those guys and I'm certainly not saying Anaheim is paying all his salary. I'm just saying it's moronnic for someone to say adding Konerko is a bad deal with no idea of the price.

I don't care about the price and I'll happily say it's a bad deal, because it is.

jmcelligott92
11-17-2009, 05:13 PM
The Angels are involved because they always had their eye on Konerko , and Arizona and Anaheim are the only places he would waive to , they also are not going to be giving up much at all

Keeyo
11-17-2009, 05:17 PM

Exactly... Unless the Angels were getting Gordon Beckham and getting rid of Gary Matthews in the deal, totally worthless.

SouthSideSox
11-17-2009, 06:38 PM
The Angels have been in love with Konerko for years.
It would make sense that they would be the team getting him.
A) Konerko has 10/5 rights making it hard to trade him EXCEPT he has stated he will waive those rights for a west coast team, especially the Angels.
B) The Angels were involved because if it was purely Padres/White Sox, and the White Sox received Gonzalez, Where would he and PK play? If this deal happens, PK has to go somewhere and it just so happens that somewhere looks a lot like the Angels.

DodgerBlue83
11-17-2009, 06:52 PM
The Angels have been in love with Konerko for years.
It would make sense that they would be the team getting him.
A) Konerko has 10/5 rights making it hard to trade him EXCEPT he has stated he will waive those rights for a west coast team, especially the Angels.
B) The Angels were involved because if it was purely Padres/White Sox, and the White Sox received Gonzalez, Where would he and PK play? If this deal happens, PK has to go somewhere and it just so happens that somewhere looks a lot like the Angels.

But my question is...If they are going to be going through this whole process why would they settle for Konerko rather than trying to get Gonzalez themselves? I'm not sure how Chicago's farm looks, but I would think LAA could get a deal done if they really wanted to. You can say they want Konerko to DH, but then why not just keep Vlad who will cost money instead of prospects. If I was the Angels, I would want a lot more than just Konerko from Chicago and San Diego if I was just going to sit by and let a talented player like Gonzalez go by. I'm sure Angels fans would love to have Gonzalez at first and Morales to DH.

SouthSideSox
11-17-2009, 07:04 PM
But my question is...If they are going to be going through this whole process why would they settle for Konerko rather than trying to get Gonzalez themselves? I'm not sure how Chicago's farm looks, but I would think LAA could get a deal done if they really wanted to. You can say they want Konerko to DH, but then why not just keep Vlad who will cost money instead of prospects. If I was the Angels, I would want a lot more than just Konerko from Chicago and San Diego if I was just going to sit by and let a talented player like Gonzalez go by. I'm sure Angels fans would love to have Gonzalez at first and Morales to DH.

It's not whether or not the Angels have the players to get a deal done, they have to be able to give up good major league ready players for cheap.

The Padres want cheap young major league ready players, the Sox have an abundance of those. Because of those circumstances, that is why the Sox have a bigger chance than the Angels.

donnie23
11-17-2009, 09:51 PM
It's hard to follow the reasoning of some of you. You don't get Konerko or Gonzalez for the same price. Konerko would go to Anaheim for a small part of the Gonzalez package. On top of that it's likely the Sox would pick up some of Pauly's contract.

Jimmy Shine
11-17-2009, 09:55 PM
It's hard to follow the reasoning of some of you. You don't get Konerko or Gonzalez for the same price. Konerko would go to Anaheim for a small part of the Gonzalez package. On top of that it's likely the Sox would pick up some of Pauly's contract.

Yup, what he said.

GA16Angels
11-17-2009, 10:06 PM
Unless we're trading GMJ in this deal, it makes zero sense. Reagins is smart enough not to do this.

donnie23
11-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Unless we're trading GMJ in this deal, it makes zero sense. Reagins is smart enough not to do this.

To do what, add Paul Konerko? Yeah he would have to be a fool to add a good hitter to your team with all those players going to free agency!

edison_yia
11-17-2009, 10:44 PM
worst trade ever..

StryderSox
11-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Paging Theo Epstein!!!!!!!!!

If this has any truth to it then the RedSox can put up a better offer for AGon

yankkiller
11-17-2009, 11:38 PM
Chicago Tribune

makes sense but not with konerko, swap him with Gordon Beckham

odiz
11-17-2009, 11:48 PM
makes sense but not with konerko, swap him with Gordon Beckham

I would think,that if this deal were to get done Beckham would be a part of it. Except he'd be going to the Padres.

DodgersFanFor23
11-18-2009, 12:15 AM
Paging Theo Epstein!!!!!!!!!

If this has any truth to it then the RedSox can put up a better offer for AGon

If it is true then how can the red sox get him if he just got traded to the White Sox.:facepalm:

DodgersFanFor23
11-18-2009, 12:17 AM
m l btraderumors shot the rumor down but by e-mail.

Pavelb1
11-18-2009, 12:20 AM

Red Sox arn't getting Gonzalez. They don't have the chips.

infernoscurse
11-18-2009, 12:21 AM
whats funny is that there's no mentions of the exact deal with the players involved and everyone's saying the worst trade ever or that's impossible

acer
11-18-2009, 12:48 AM
donnie23: the chisox would pretty much have to gift wrap konerko here.. i dont think eating half konerkos salary is even worth it, considering the angels would would be giving up a prospect or 2 to the pads. further, if the angels wanted a DH, there are plenty of good options for DH on the free agent market that wouldnt cost them any prospects.

Face it. this is a bad idea no matter what the sox offer the angels. find another partner chitown..

Twitchy
11-18-2009, 12:59 AM

It's a bad deal when they have similar players who play the same position that won't require giving up anything for.

natepro
11-18-2009, 01:17 AM
It's a bad deal when they have similar players who play the same position that won't require giving up anything for.

They're also cheaper, younger, and still in their peak or have their peak years ahead of them.

Also:

Vladdy's last full season: .303 /.365/.521
Konerko's 2009 numbers: .277/.353/.489

It just makes no sense for the Angels, either with what they'd be getting in the deal and with helping another AL team get so much better by adding Gonzalez.

Imperial
11-18-2009, 01:37 AM
Red Sox arn't getting Gonzalez. They don't have the chips.

The Red Sox definitely have the chips. The Padres really need a pitcher, catcher, center fielder and middle infielder and the Red Sox have Clay Buchholz, Jacoby Ellsbury, Ryan Kalish, Casey Kelly, Junichi Tazawa, Jose Iglesias and Luis Exposito. And they have some pretty good 1B prospects who could be the future 1B in San Diego such as Lars Anderson and Anthony Rizzo. The issue is what the Red Sox would be willing to give up, not whether or not they have the chips to make a trade.

Imperial
11-18-2009, 01:39 AM
They're also cheaper, younger, and still in their peak or have their peak years ahead of them.

Also:

Vladdy's last full season: .303 /.365/.521
Konerko's 2009 numbers: .277/.353/.489

It just makes no sense for the Angels, either with what they'd be getting in the deal and with helping another AL team get so much better by adding Gonzalez.

Yeah, this deal doesn't seem very likely. I haven't seen it reported anywhere other than the Chicago Tribune either and the rumor sprung up this morning.

BlueJayFanDan
11-18-2009, 01:51 AM
I don't think this deal is going to happen but who really knows anymore.

SB75
11-18-2009, 02:07 AM
The Red Sox definitely have the chips. The Padres really need a pitcher, catcher, center fielder and middle infielder and the Red Sox have Clay Buchholz, Jacoby Ellsbury, Ryan Kalish, Casey Kelly, Junichi Tazawa, Jose Iglesias and Luis Exposito. And they have some pretty good 1B prospects who could be the future 1B in San Diego such as Lars Anderson and Anthony Rizzo. The issue is what the Red Sox would be willing to give up, not whether or not they have the chips to make a trade.

I think you guys have the chips if you put it as your #1 concern. I also even agree that it's likely for you to move one of those 1B prospects for a player now. Their 2 great prospects. Question is, is it the # 1 priority? I would think the #1 goal right now for you guys is Jason Bay and pitching. You guys have Josh and Lester to start the rotation, but I'm not sold on the Clay kid. You guy were 3rd in runs scored and RBI's, the offense with Jason is fine. Get Jason signed and trade for pitching and you're in the hunt like always. Trading for A-Gon and signing Bay still leaves question marks with the starters.

Besides as A Braves fan don't outbid us (LOL).

lakersfan211
11-18-2009, 02:27 AM
it could happen . forget that headline up their made a mistake .

Imperial
11-18-2009, 02:28 AM
I think you guys have the chips if you put it as your #1 concern. I also even agree that it's likely for you to move one of those 1B prospects for a player now. Their 2 great prospects. Question is, is it the # 1 priority? I would think the #1 goal right now for you guys is Jason Bay and pitching. You guys have Josh and Lester to start the rotation, but I'm not sold on the Clay kid. You guy were 3rd in runs scored and RBI's, the offense with Jason is fine. Get Jason signed and trade for pitching and you're in the hunt like always. Trading for A-Gon and signing Bay still leaves question marks with the starters.

Besides as A Braves fan don't outbid us (LOL).

A few things. First of all, Theo would probably prefer to sign Holliday. Second of all, we do have Beckett, Lester and Matsuzaka who was hurt pretty much all of last year. Plus we have Buchholz and Wakefield. Could we use a 6th starter? Sure, but it won't take much to sign someone like Harden.

And I think those offensive numbers are a bit misleading. Anyone who followed the Sox all year in 2009 could tell you that they had major inconsistencies in their offense. It would fire on all cylinders one week, then go completely cold for the next two weeks.

SB75
11-18-2009, 02:51 AM
A few things. First of all, Theo would probably prefer to sign Holliday. Second of all, we do have Beckett, Lester and Matsuzaka who was hurt pretty much all of last year. Plus we have Buchholz and Wakefield. Could we use a 6th starter? Sure, but it won't take much to sign someone like Harden.

And I think those offensive numbers are a bit misleading. Anyone who followed the Sox all year in 2009 could tell you that they had major inconsistencies in their offense. It would fire on all cylinders one week, then go completely cold for the next two weeks.

Well first if you are going to spend that much money on Holliday ( Rumor has it he want's a Tex type deal), then why would you want to trade for A-Gon? Like I said before I'm not sold on the rest of your current pitching staff ( you have the right the disagree). Their was nothing misleading about the back end of your rotation.

As far as that offense. As I've said to others, I fully expect Ortiz to bounce back. He may never be the Ortiz that was protected by Manny, but he will be better than the Ortiz that hit .238. That alone should help with your consistency.

I'm not hating on you or your team at all. As I said before, as Braves fan my major goal is to not get outbid, so teams that can put together a package as competitive as ours I take a long hard look at. Espn forces most of us to follow the Sox and Yankee's, so we all follow on some level. No matter if you follow closely or not, it's not difficult to see pitching was a much bigger let down than the offense.

SB75
11-18-2009, 02:52 AM
^^^ I don't claim to know more about your team than you do, Just saying let's keep it real.

Imperial
11-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Well first if you are going to spend that much money on Holliday ( Rumor has it he want's a Tex type deal), then why would you want to trade for A-Gon? Like I said before I'm not sold on the rest of your current pitching staff ( you have the right the disagree). Their was nothing misleading about the back end of your rotation.

As far as that offense. As I've said to others, I fully expect Ortiz to bounce back. He may never be the Ortiz that was protected by Manny, but he will be better than the Ortiz that hit .238. That alone should help with your consistency.

I'm not hating on you or your team at all. As I said before, as Braves fan my major goal is to not get outbid, so teams that can put together a package as competitive as ours I take a long hard look at. Espn forces most of us to follow the Sox and Yankee's, so we all follow on some level. No matter if you follow closely or not, it's not difficult to see pitching was a much bigger let down than the offense.

I would sign Holliday and trade for Adrian Gonzalez because it not only improves our offense, but also addresses our defense which was another major issue last year. Our starting pitching was an issue last year but we were without our #3 starter most of the year, we were without Buchholz most of the year and we had Penny in our rotation most of the year. We already have Beckett, Lester, Matsuzaka and Wakefield. I think depth beyond that could easily be addressed by picking up a guy like Harden who could give you 100 quality innings or so as the 5th/6th starter.

Steve Kerr
11-18-2009, 03:12 PM
This is a made up rumor by Tribune. This deal would make no sense for the Angels.