PDA

View Full Version : Knicks To Meet With Allen Iverson; Could Be Signed Tomorrow

Fresno
11-17-2009, 12:18 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2009/11/16/2009-11-16_iverson_could_be_answer_for_knicks.html

:clap:

Marbury, Francis,& possibly Iverson.

New York: Where selfish Guards go to embarrass themselves one last time

ZebraCity916
11-17-2009, 12:24 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2009/11/16/2009-11-16_iverson_could_be_answer_for_knicks.html

:laugh:

AI should thrive in the run and gun though.

Spurred1
11-17-2009, 12:27 AM
D'Antoni will love him.

Hellcrooner
11-17-2009, 12:28 AM
well if he doe snot start over duhon its time to call it a career

Chronz
11-17-2009, 12:32 AM
YES lets just put AI on every team until we find one that sticks

ZebraCity916
11-17-2009, 12:33 AM
^:laugh2:

nipo10847
11-17-2009, 12:34 AM
Best possible place for him. D' Antonio will love him.

AddiX
11-17-2009, 12:36 AM
As a Knicks fan all I can say is, do we really have a choice?

asandhu23

70 something games is enough time right?

TheHoopsProphet
Hmm, my sarcasm radar seems to be broken this evening, because some of these posters sound serious.

rick66ankiel24
11-17-2009, 12:44 AM
i hope he doesnt go to the knicks, ive always loved ai.. id rather he goes to a playoff team, preferably in the east so theres the chance that he will ruin them haha. i think he'd fit in really well with the jazz or suns or maybe even toronto. on any of those teams he'd be surrounded by a great distributing pg, have a big scorer in the post, and still be able to be a starting sg

Raph12
11-17-2009, 12:53 AM
TO would've been a great situation for him, but Colangelo already said that he wouldn't touch him.

He will thrive in NY's run-and-gun style of play.

ko8e24
11-17-2009, 12:55 AM
The Answer in the Big Apple!

Great for NY, and great for the NBA and Mr. Stern with the jersey sales. Knicks on the front, and Iverson on the back. dang!

ko8e24
11-17-2009, 01:01 AM
oh and btw, i hate it when an OP will put the website, but not the actual story.

Story:

Can Allen Iverson save the Knicks' season, rescue them at the box office or at least make them relevant again?

Donnie Walsh will spend the next 48 hours debating what impact, both negative and positive, Iverson could have on the organization. Walsh, the Knicks' president, confirmed last night that the club will explore the possibility of signing Iverson, the former league MVP who was placed on waivers Tuesday by the Memphis Grizzlies.

"We'll look into it," Walsh told the Daily News. "Right now, I'd say probably not but we'll see."

A source close to Iverson says he'd be eager to play in Mike D'Antoni's up-tempo system. Iverson had similar interest over the summer but the Knicks passed. But with the team off to its worst 10-game start in franchise history, Walsh may have a change of heart.

Iverson, 34, would generate much-needed buzz for the 1-9 Knicks, who are in desperate need of a proven scorer and marquee name.

But Walsh and D'Antoni will have to consider if adding another veteran is right for the Knicks, who are in a rebuilding mode. Iverson's presence could hinder, not help, the development of .Danilo Gallinari and rookie point guard Toney Douglas. Moreover, Iverson has made it known that he still considers himself a starter.

The Knicks have an available roster spot to sign Iverson when he becomes an unrestricted free agent tomorrow. Iverson, a 10-time All-Star, can play either guard position but the Knicks would likely make another move if Iverson signed since there wouldn't be enough playing time for Chris Duhon, Larry Hughes, Nate Robinson and Douglas. All with the exception of Douglas are in the last year of their contracts.

The most plausible scenario would be the Knicks negotiating a buyout with Hughes. The veteran guard told The News that he addressed his status with management before the season and whether he'd play much. Hughes admitted that if he weren't factoring into the team's plans, the two sides were prepared to discuss a buyout. But since being benched for the first two games, Hughes has become a regular in D'Antoni's rotation.

If Iverson can't land a deal with the Knicks, there is a chance he would consider waiting a few months, then try to sign with a contending team.

Iverson signed an incentive-filled one-year deal with the .Grizzlies in September but was unhappy with his limited role.

He missed the Grizzlies' first three games with a hamstring injury and played in just three others. Iverson averaged 12.3 points, 3.7 assists and played just 22 minutes per game. He then left the team, citing personal reasons, and hinted he might retire.

"The Grizzlies and Allen Iverson have come to a mutual agreement that because of personal matters that forced him to leave the team on Nov. 7, Allen will step away from the game at this time," Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace said in a statement. "As a result, we will be ending our contractual agreement with Allen, which will allow both parties to move forward. We wish Allen the best."

Kakaroach
11-17-2009, 01:04 AM
He'll have a good season in the Big Apple, maybe his last. Good luck AI.

Diewitdaknicks
11-17-2009, 01:05 AM

:facepalm: Here we go again :facepalm: wake me up in 2012

Toxeryll
11-17-2009, 01:06 AM
TO would've been a great situation for him, but Colangelo already said that he wouldn't touch him.

He will thrive in NY's run-and-gun style of play.

ahaha r u kiddin me, raptors are one of the best offensive team in the league. how would TO be a gud situation for him?

_KB24_
11-17-2009, 01:08 AM
I hope this happens. I can not bare to see one of my absolute FAVORITE players of all time to go out like this.....

I want to see him in a Philly uniform, but I guess NY is his only shot.

Highlight
11-17-2009, 01:10 AM
I know everyone pretty much hates Iverson right now, but I really feel he will do well in NY.

I'm not sure how the team will do as a whole, but I do know that they will sell more tickets if AI is starting. MSG is probably pretty much sold out every game anyways, but if not, they will sell a bit more.

Iverson can still drop 25 on any given night if given the minutes and shots. In Dantoni's system, he will be asked to jack up as many shots as he wants, so it will be to his benefit.

If this doesn't work out, I will be very surprised. Duhon is already one of the worst if not the worst starting PG in the league. He is better suited coming off the bench anyways.

Whatever, all I know is there will be a lot of media coverage on its way, so get used to hearing about AI every damn morning haha. Sorry for the people that are already sick of him. :(

mjt20mik
11-17-2009, 01:12 AM
I was shocked with him leaving Memphis, and now I'm shocked that he might sign with NY.

:facepalm:

Bausman
11-17-2009, 01:12 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

There is a God!! I was saying this all summer!!! He shoulda signed his one year contract with NY in the summer. The only downfall about this is that now everyone who doesnt hop right back on AI's dick will say his stats are a product of D'Antonis system. I fully understand the D'antoni effect but NY is a great fit for his skill set (ya even his old ***) and he will show why he shouldnt be coming of the bench for Micheal flucking! Conley.

AI has not been swallowing vasilene or crying to love songs... he is pissed that he has to come off the bench for a player he is much much much better than(and could learn something backing up AI) for a team that is losing. Give the man the ball and let him play. He took a **** team to the NBA finals but they let him do his thang. NY will let him run wild. Man... i cant wait.

PLAYERS FAN
11-17-2009, 01:15 AM
yes lets just put ai on every team until we find one that sticks

there you are...

ProdigyI
11-17-2009, 01:16 AM
Listen HES NOT GOING TO NEW YORK.

ONE OF THE REASONS HE LEFT IS BECAUSE HE THOUGHT MEMPHIS WAS GOING TO WIN WHICH THEY DIDNT.

NEW YORK SUCKS THIS YEAR. NO OFFENSE. HE'S NOT GOING THERE.

He wants to go to at least a playoff team

SeoulBeatz
11-17-2009, 01:16 AM
well, i go to NYU and this would give me a reason to use my discount knicks tickets, nice...

Trouble87
11-17-2009, 01:17 AM
I think im going to throw up

abe_froman
11-17-2009, 01:20 AM

ONE OF THE REASONS HE LEFT IS BECAUSE HE THOUGHT MEMPHIS WAS GOING TO WIN WHICH THEY DIDNT.

no,he wants to start and no playoff team's going to let him

Boston Faithful
11-17-2009, 01:21 AM
Wow, if AI went to New York he'd immediately be their best player - by far.

He could really revitalize his career there.

Bulls_fan90
11-17-2009, 01:21 AM
They couldn't possibly get any worse...could they? I mean its not like they have him in their future plans. They dont even have thier first round pick, so this move does kinda make some sense.

kidfury
11-17-2009, 01:24 AM
AI to the NY? Is Isiah a consultant for the knicks?

If AI does go and he's allowed to chuck the ball then I'm sure he'll be capable of decent stats but I doubt it will translate into much team success.

NYKnickFanatic
11-17-2009, 01:32 AM

No, he wanted to start.

NYKnickFanatic
11-17-2009, 01:33 AM
Most likely will sign with the Bobcats. I could see them using a small lineup.

Felton
Iverson
Wallace
Diaw
Chandler

Jackson off the bench or switch it up.

ko8e24
11-17-2009, 01:35 AM

Felton
Iverson
Wallace
Diaw
Chandler

u can move Diaw to the bench and move G-Wall to PF, inserting Jax at SF

DerekRE_3
11-17-2009, 01:42 AM

Felton
Iverson
Wallace
Diaw
Chandler

Not gonna happen. We could have signed him this summer....we didn't. Then we made a trade for Jackson and signed Flip Murray, no room for AI.

NYKnickFanatic
11-17-2009, 01:43 AM
Not gonna happen. We could have signed him this summer....we didn't. Then we made a trade for Jackson and signed Flip Murray, no room for AI.

Never know man. Anything is possible.

NiTEFuRY
11-17-2009, 01:46 AM
NY NY NY have you learned nothing? You need to go into this knowing you'll start him and give him 30+ min a game or else the cancer will spread. I know if any system was truly meant for him its with D'antoni.

I cannot see this resulting in anything but regression on a team basis and a lack of chemistry at the end of the year. Good luck Knickerbockers.

Raph12
11-17-2009, 01:49 AM
ahaha r u kiddin me, raptors are one of the best offensive team in the league. how would TO be a gud situation for him?

TO is very lacking at the 2, having a 2 or anyone really, who could create their own shot is always a plus... btw, technically, I said a good situation for him, not for the team.

clehmun
11-17-2009, 01:50 AM
i hope he signs with the knicks. i just picked up AI in my fantasy league right after hearing the news (i only had to drop a scrub anyway).

Kodonne
11-17-2009, 01:53 AM
I'd love to see a pissed off and hyper-motivated Iverson.

vandoc
11-17-2009, 02:01 AM
If Iverson wants to win, he should sign with the Cavs. Heck, they almost traded for Stephen Jackson so AI can't be worse than that guy.

He also would fit in well with Chicago since they need a pure scorer on their roster.

Third option for him would be Miami. They wanted him in the summer before they turned their focus on to Lamar Odom. If AI starts at PG, it would still work since D Wade is the main ball handler/distributor.

I truly believe he can still contribute at a high level, as a pure scorer. He won't need to run the offense or carry any of the above teams but will still be on a team that wins.

SteveNash
11-17-2009, 02:06 AM
It's good to see Iverson finally starting to have a team first attitude. Knicks are definitely the right situation for a guy that says he wants to win a championship.

ggb108
11-17-2009, 02:09 AM
im sorry, but we are around 1-10, and i would rather have iverson taking all the shots compared to harrington. harrington is good, but shouldn't be in that role.

GodsSon
11-17-2009, 02:10 AM
hmmm, i would love to see him play in the d'antoni run and gun...i could see him putting up big numbers; not sure how much success would be translated to the knick record though

wileyisTOFU
11-17-2009, 02:11 AM
It's good to see Iverson finally starting to have a team first attitude. Knicks are definitely the right situation for a guy that says he wants to win a championship.

?

xSolidx
11-17-2009, 02:24 AM
We are ****ing 1-9

We cant possibly get any worse even if we sign AI

F team chemistry, F this team. Give me A.I, I wanna be entertained until the season is over, we arent going anywhere anyways.

SteveNash
11-17-2009, 02:24 AM
?

Clearly the Knicks are about the make a huge turn around and make a championship run and AI wants to get in on that.

stawka
11-17-2009, 02:28 AM
I'd LOVE to see AI come close to smashing out a scoring title and lead the Knicks to the Playoffs and getting past the first round. Will be a damn big ask from him, but i'm sure if he is motivated and given the minutes, the guy will be a menace again. I wish him the best

Highlight
11-17-2009, 02:30 AM
I'd LOVE to see AI come close to smashing out a scoring title and lead the Knicks to the Playoffs and getting past the first round. Will be a damn big ask from him, but i'm sure if he is motivated and given the minutes, the guy will be a menace again. I wish him the best

AI4MVP
11-17-2009, 02:31 AM
id love to see the knicks sign Allen Iverson, have allen iverson ball out of his mind. like score 30 a game(which hes still capable of), lead his team to the playoffs, and shut all the haters up

edison_yia
11-17-2009, 02:43 AM
its good for the knicks maybe iverrson will lead them to 30 wins

Bulls_fan90
11-17-2009, 04:01 AM

:crazy:

rick66ankiel24
11-17-2009, 04:05 AM

1. new york sucks every year
2. NO NEED FOR ALL CAPS
3. no way in hell is lebron goin to the bulls

bigsams50
11-17-2009, 04:26 AM
Well that was fast

azkarraga
11-17-2009, 05:21 AM
Don't know if it's a bad deal for both sides.

stawka
11-17-2009, 06:15 AM
:crazy:

What mate?

JayW_1023
11-17-2009, 07:03 AM
Iversonb should join the Harlem Globetrotters.

Reddd
11-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Good for AI, that makes the Knicks instant contenders

DieHardColtsfan
11-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Well???

DerekRE_3
11-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Good for AI, that makes the Knicks instant contenders

not sure if that's sarcasm or not

either way...:laugh2:

Dmagic87
11-17-2009, 12:55 PM
AI cares more about starting than being on a winning team.

The knicks are the only team that would start him.

NiTEFuRY
11-17-2009, 12:55 PM
F team chemistry, F this team. Give me A.I, I wanna be entertained until the season is over, we arent going anywhere anyways.

Yo if thats your attitude and you will stick by that til the end of the season, why not do it. Stick him in your starting lineup and let the fun begin. Hughes could be traded and yield a nice young player and AI could start and get back to 20+ ppg - if you commit him to 30+ min and 18-24 shots.

mlisica19
11-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Signing Allen Iverson to any team these days is a bone head move. Were not talking about signing some talented guy whose coming back from a long vacation, were not talking about some guy who maybe too old, and were not talking about a guy who is coming back from a serious injury. Were talking about Allen Iverson, A.I, a man in his own category. Signing A.I to any team is a bone head move, but if the knicks do it, it would be almost as bad as signing Isiah Thomas to Head Coach. Allen Iverson was never much of a winner, but what he lacked in his determination throughout the entire season he made up for bundles and bundles of talent. Yet hes not the same allen no more, hes slower he cant jump as high and he surely cannot score as much. So you wanna sign a player who will be asking for a Sh** load of money who wont come to much practices, hardly will care to win a game, doesnt have the same skills he use to, and a head case and cancer in the locker room. I dont know, it wouldnt shock me. Plus the coach down there has his head in the right place, but signing Allen Iverson would just ruin the team and what he has done to build it back to an actually worth watching team (last season, give him time for this season). But Go ahead and sign A.I knicks cause ull be in the headlines twice this season. 1 for signing A.I and 2 for dropping him at the end of the season cause of all the cra* he brings...

Hes not a winner, the closest he has ever come to winning was as close as Lebron has so far. And thats throughout his entire career

rhymeratic
11-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Signing Allen Iverson to any team these days is a bone head move. Were not talking about signing some talented guy whose coming back from a long vacation, were not talking about some guy who maybe too old, and were not talking about a guy who is coming back from a serious injury. Were talking about Allen Iverson, A.I, a man in his own category. Signing A.I to any team is a bone head move, but if the knicks do it, it would be almost as bad as signing Isiah Thomas to Head Coach. Allen Iverson was never much of a winner, but what he lacked in his determination throughout the entire season he made up for bundles and bundles of talent. Yet hes not the same allen no more, hes slower he cant jump as high and he surely cannot score as much. So you wanna sign a player who will be asking for a Sh** load of money who wont come to much practices, hardly will care to win a game, doesnt have the same skills he use to, and a head case and cancer in the locker room. I dont know, it wouldnt shock me. Plus the coach down there has his head in the right place, but signing Allen Iverson would just ruin the team and what he has done to build it back to an actually worth watching team (last season, give him time for this season). But Go ahead and sign A.I knicks cause ull be in the headlines twice this season. 1 for signing A.I and 2 for dropping him at the end of the season cause of all the cra* he brings...

Hes not a winner, the closest he has ever come to winning was as close as Lebron has so far. And thats throughout his entire career

What are you TALKING ABOUT?!?!?! This dude won in college, won in the pro's! His squads were terrible in Philly and he MADE them better. Last time I checked but the Pistons are still struggling after he left. Denver wasn't about him not being able to play but just not being a GREAT fit. They needed more passer less scorer.

WE the Knicks NEED his style of play. If anything I'm mad at Walsh for not doing this in the offseason and waiting until we blew first 10 games b4 admitting his mistake.

Tony_Starks
11-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Seems like a no brainer to me. Your 1-9, playing totally pathetic, and your starting point gaurd is Duhon. CHRIS FREAKIN DUHON! Sign that man quick!

Toenail Clipper
11-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Boston just got Nocioni.
If Lakers can somewhat dump Walton/Vujacic and Farmar/Fisher somewhere else, they can sign Allen Iverson for 3 mil.

PG - Iverson/Fisher/Brown
SG - Kobe/Vujacic/Morrison
SF - Artest/Walton
PF - Pau/Lamar/Powell
C - Bynum/Mbenga

Lakers starters will be the most elite team in the NBA.

pf289
11-17-2009, 02:20 PM
I cant see Iverson wanting to play with Kobe. He wont get the ball enough. Iverson needs the ball. He doesnt just want a championship, he wants the ball.

NYKnickFanatic
11-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Boston just got Nocioni.
If Lakers can somewhat dump Walton/Vujacic and Farmar/Fisher somewhere else, they can sign Allen Iverson for 3 mil.

PG - Iverson/Fisher/Brown
SG - Kobe/Vujacic/Morrison
SF - Artest/Walton
PF - Pau/Lamar/Powell
C - Bynum/Mbenga

Lakers starters will be the most elite team in the NBA.

That's official?

Raph12
11-17-2009, 02:28 PM
I cant see Iverson wanting to play with Kobe. He wont get the ball enough. Iverson needs the ball. He doesnt just want a championship, he wants the ball.

He said he'd take a lesser role playing for a championship team, he said he'd even be willing to come off the bench.

If AI goes to LA and gets quality minutes (30+) with their bench/starters... game over.

Tony_Starks
11-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Lakers don't want or need AI. With him AND Artest it would be a complete circus. No thanks!

colinskik
11-17-2009, 03:36 PM
I hope the Knicks sign him ASAP! Not only do I think the Knicks can't possibly get any worse by signing Iverson, I actually think we would help the team, the young players in NY and himself and his career. I just dont want this to drag on for too long, so Donnie better get on his horse.

LeTsGoNyKnIcKs
11-17-2009, 03:51 PM
if there is a god, Please have AI on the Knicks ASAP, we need him immediately, im tired of going to the garden and watching all these faces of fans let down time and time again by blow out games, or games where we didnt even F*in try.
WE NEED A LEADER, WE NEED A SCORING POINT GUARD, WE NEED ALLEN IVERSON
please WALSH get him, Toney D will develop in time, but most people dont realize is that with Duhon as TD role model there is nothing much for him to learn cause duhon has no heart or balls to play. With AI TD could learn from a possible future hall of famer. Especailly being that they both have the similar play ethic early in there respective careers.
WE need a person to handle the ball, give it to the right person/ or drive to the F*in hole. DUHON dont do that, he passes to DLEE on a pick, or gets the ball stripped or turns it over. We need a person who is going to have a in-game huddle and say lets go F*in win this game.
TD
AI
Gallo
WC/AH
LEE/Curry
we can do some damage please, i was a huge advocate of getting him in the off season, and now even more watching the first 10 games.

Ty Fast
11-17-2009, 03:57 PM
not the bulls

SteveNash
11-17-2009, 05:12 PM
What are you TALKING ABOUT?!?!?! This dude won in college, won in the pro's! His squads were terrible in Philly and he MADE them better. Last time I checked but the Pistons are still struggling after he left. Denver wasn't about him not being able to play but just not being a GREAT fit. They needed more passer less scorer.

WE the Knicks NEED his style of play. If anything I'm mad at Walsh for not doing this in the offseason and waiting until we blew first 10 games b4 admitting his mistake.

What did he win exactly?

Raph12
11-17-2009, 08:24 PM
What did he win exactly?

The ECFs... what did Steve Nash win?

Chronz
11-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Iversonb should join the Harlem Globetrotters.

lol would he have to come off the bench?

Bulls_fan90
11-17-2009, 08:30 PM

What mate?

That's what. I seriously hope you were being sarcastic. But the way you typed it, you sounded serious?

BkOriginalOne
11-17-2009, 10:49 PM
AI can be an all star on this Knick team, I just hope D'antoni gives him the green light.
Iverson
Hughes
Galo
Harrington
Lee/Milicic

Better than the Nets!

mzgrizz
11-18-2009, 12:34 AM
Bless your hearts, Knicks fans! I know exactly how you feel right now......believe me, I know. You may want him now, and to be honest, I don't think he'll hurt your team too much, but if he doesn't get what he wants..he'll get hurt; he'll become more involved in personal problems(these most recent WERE apparently real, but conveniently timed); he'll find something to complain about and you might be the team that gets stuck with him. Right now, the Grizzlies will only improve from the 8 game deficit that he helped to create. We have 70+ games to get better. What will you have by mid April???
I'm sorry for AI; but as multiple posters have written; it's no longer 2001 but 2010 nearly, and AI's head might well be stuck in the past.

phoenix_bladen
11-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Bless your hearts, Knicks fans! I know exactly how you feel right now......believe me, I know. You may want him now, and to be honest, I don't think he'll hurt your team too much, but if he doesn't get what he wants..he'll get hurt; he'll become more involved in personal problems(these most recent WERE apparently real, but conveniently timed); he'll find something to complain about and you might be the team that gets stuck with him. Right now, the Grizzlies will only improve from the 8 game deficit that he helped to create. We have 70+ games to get better. What will you have by mid April???
I'm sorry for AI; but as multiple posters have written; it's no longer 2001 but 2010 nearly, and AI's head might well be stuck in the past.

well the knicks have nothing to lose..... NOTHING.....

the knicks are unlike all 29 other NBA teams....... the crappy teams in the NBA are either developing talent and or tanking to get a draft pick

the middle and elite teams are trying to get better.

the knicks? we're just waiting for 2010 and we have NO DRAFT PICK to tank for 2010 ..........

so AI will give us a bit of buzz until then!

phoenix_bladen
11-18-2009, 12:52 AM
honestly what risk would we even take ?

we pay him the minimum or whatever

if it doesn't work out waive him!!!

what if it does ?????

Raph12
11-18-2009, 02:48 AM
With a 1-9 record, what does NY have to lose? worst-case scenario, people actually start talking about the Knicks again, so what?

pd7631
11-18-2009, 02:50 AM
The Flight Brothers re-united......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziRbyZmGBno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmbMCkmvoA8&feature=related

ink
11-18-2009, 12:01 PM
No hard news, so we're closing this one and creating one AI thread.

Please follow this link to the new thread - http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427262