PDA

View Full Version : NBA ReDraft Playoffs - Conference Finals: 3 Philadelphia 76ers vs. 4 New York Knicks

Catfish1314
11-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Once or a twice year, PSD holds an NBA ReDraft. In this game played by PSD users, all the players in the NBA go into a draft pool. A lottery is held to determine the order and in 12 rounds of drafting and trading the GMs try to create the best team possible.

The Eastern Conference Finals features the 3rd seeded Philadelphia 76ers versus the 4th seed New York Knicks. The Sixers have homecourt advantage. Their respective rosters and write-ups are listed below:

Sixers:

PG: Jarrett Jack/Darren Collison
SG: Jason Richardson/Lindsey Hunter/Sonny Weems
SF: Lebron James/Kyle Korver
PF: Antonio McDyess/Chris Andersen/Donyell Marshall
C: Shaquille O'Neal/Channing Frye

Knicks:

C - Marcus Camby / Brian Skinner / Steven Hunter
PF - David Lee / Craig Smith
SF - Boris Diaw / Rasual Butler / Ime Udoka
SG - Brandon Roy / Rasual Butler / Ime Udoka
PG - Mo Williams / Sergio Rodriguez / Shaun Livingston

Keep in mind these are not the real life teams.

The Sixers did not send in a write-up.

Knicks write-up:

Rotation:
C – Marcus Camby (35 min), David Lee (13 min)
PF – David Lee (26 min), Boris Diaw (12 min), Craig Smith (10 min)
SF – Boris Diaw (28 min), Rasual Butler (20 min)
SG – Brandon Roy (42 min), Rasual Butler (6 min)
PG – Mo Williams (40 min), Sergio Rodriguez (8 min)

PG – Mo Williams vs. Jarrett Jack
Mo Williams is an All-Star who consistently puts up 17-18 ppg, 40% 3pt, 4-5 apg and is the ideal compliment to a star player. Jarrett Jack is a backup who even when he started last season only put up 13ppg, 35% 3pt (a career high), 3 assists. Despite being the only change to the lineup, the Cavs went from 45 wins in 2007/2008 season to 66 wins after the addition of Mo Williams as the #2 player. Jarrett Jack has been a backup, a starter, replaced by Steve Blake, a starter, replaced by TJ Ford, and now finally signed to backup Jose Calderon where he is putting up 7ppg on 34.5% from the field. He hasn’t made more than 3 shots in a game and has a 22 total assists with 15 total turnovers. LeBron needs shooters. Even Gibson and Damon Jones worked with him but Jack doesn’t have the outside touch that would be effective (33% 3pt for his career). Meanwhile, Mo Williams is putting up nearly identical stats from last season (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3750) and is off to a scorching 51.4% from downtown through the first 8 games. He can get to the hoop and stretch defenses.

Huge Edge: Knicks

SG – Brandon Roy vs. Jason Richardson
Brandon Roy is a superstar SG. Jason Richardson is a talented scorer. While J-Rich will put up points in this series, he’s also known as a terrible defender. The Sixers weakest defender plays the same position as my most talented scorer and player. That doesn’t necessarily mean he will get his career high game or anything though… Brandon Roy’s career high in a game is 52 points... I wonder who he scored it on…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ZelgONJOI OH MY GOD JASON RICHARDSON! (Granted they switched Hill/Barnes on him but damn look at the first jumper in his face or at 0:50 seconds when Richardson just lets Roy blow right by him) . The point is not one youtube clip, it’s just that we know what Roy is capable of and we know that Richardson is not going to be able to limit him AT ALL.

SF – Boris Diaw vs. LeBron James
I think Boris Diaw is an ideal type of player to guard LeBron. People are raving about Luol Deng and Paul Pierce has done a good job on LeBron. These guys are 6’9 / 220 and 6’7 / 235. Boris Diaw is 6’8 / 235. He’s quick and he’s got the bulk to D up on LeBron. Plus he can make LeBron work on defense. He’s shown on the Bobcats last season that he’s back. He’s got a deft passing touch (4.9 apg) and he’s able to score in the post (49.5% fg) or on the perimeter(41.5% 3pt) and is good for a 15 ppg. There’s no right player to matchup vs. the NBA’s premiere star but Diaw has the potential to have some good games.

Huge Edge: Sixers
PF – David Lee vs. Antonio McDyess
David Lee scoring averages during his career have been as follows: 5.2, 10.7, 10.8, 16.0, and 17.3ppg this season. He’s shooting 55% from the field and is extremely talented at finishing with both hands at the basket. I’ll admit he’s not the best defender in the league by I’m not worried about McDyess or even Chris Andersen coming in and putting up big games. McDyess is 35 years old and hasn’t scored over 10ppg since the 2001-2002 season where he played 10 games for the Nuggets. What Lee does, he does well. He’s got a great rebounding rate (defensive and offensive), led the league with 65 double-doubles last season, and a high efficiency scorer.

C – Marcus Camby vs. Shaquille O’Neal
It’s a tale of two careers.
2003 Shaq = 27.5 ppg, 11. rpg, 3.1 apg, 0.6 spg, 2.4 bpg, 57.4% fg
2009 Shaq = 11.0 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.5 apg, 0.4 spg, 1.8 bpg, 53.5% fg (lowest of his career)
2003 Camby = 8.6 ppg, 10.1 rpb, 1.8 apg, 1.2 spg, 2.6 bpg, 47.5% fg
2009 Camby = 9.1 ppg, 9.7 rpg, 3.3 apg, 1.2 spg, 2.3 bpg, 50.8% fg (w. Kaman limiting his points/rebounds/blocks)

It’s amazing how close their production is now. I’ll be honest I think the Phoenix medical staff works miracles (See: Hill, Grant) and having Steve Nash helped rejuvenate his career but I don’t believe Shaq is back. I think he can work on the real-life Cavs as a Dwight Howard stopper but we don’t have Dwight we have Brandon Roy. With role players Jarrett Jack and Antonio McDyess in the starting lineup Shaq would need to do too much on his team and with Camby still playing at a high level defensively and on the glass, he wouldn’t be able to do enough at the end.

Edge: Sixers

Bench:
Sergio / Rasual Butler / Craig Smith (with Lee and Diaw sliding over positions) vs. Collison, Hunter, Korver, Andersen, Frye.

Overall he has the superior bench but I think it’s important to mention that his weakest position, PG, is being backed up by a rookie who is playing 8 mpg in Darren Collison and Lindsey Hunter who has only played in one game this season despite being completely healthy. That is a SHAKY position for him.

Edge: Sixers

There’s a lot of things to like about the Sixers. Good depth in the frontcourt, J-Rich is off to a hot start in Phoenix, and they have arguably the best player on the planet in LeBron James. However,

1. They are going to get 35 minutes of below average play at PG with a player who does not fit with their star and 13 awful backup minutes while I’ll be getting 40+ minutes of All-Star PG play with a player who is an ideal compliment to my star.
2. Their weakest defender is guarding my best player.
3. I have versatile strong quick defender to match up with their best player.
4. Their starting PF/C combo is a combined 72 years old and scoring a total of 18ppg 12rpg this season while playing an average of 22mpg (not even half a game).
5. My starting PF/C combo is 26 ppg, 20rpg, while playing 32 mpg.

The Knicks may not have the star power of the Sixers but they do have a superstar of their own and they also have a real team to go with him. Knicks advance.

phlp_bj
11-16-2009, 11:23 PM
knicks

Kakaroach
11-16-2009, 11:34 PM
I like da Knicks. Great job by both GMs' though.

madiaz3
11-16-2009, 11:45 PM
While I'd take the Sixers against most other teams, the Knicks match up too well, providing some of the best possible options to limit the best of the Sixers while the Sixers' weaknesses overlap too strongly with the main strengths of the Knicks.

Gambeezy
11-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Knicks got this. Win it all KoB.

LayZbone
11-17-2009, 12:46 AM
New York Knickerbockers

PhillyLuver
11-17-2009, 12:59 AM
wish i had time to do a writeup...

KnicksorBust
11-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Just found out that Marcus Camby is the league leader in Assist/Turnover for Centers. With him, Lee (underrated passer), Diaw, Roy, Mo Williams I'd love to see the ball movement of this team in real life. So unselfish and yet all can score in a variety of ways.

Wanted to bump this anyway so we get more votes.

Catfish1314
11-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Bump.

randomness
11-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Knicks win in 7 games. Great job by both teams.

bahama0811
11-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Knicks FTW

homestarunner93
11-17-2009, 07:00 PM
About time the Philadelphia LeBrons lose.

1-800-STFU
11-18-2009, 01:57 AM
Bump :)

Confusion
11-18-2009, 02:46 AM
I think it'd be close but I'll take the Sixers.

thesparky33
11-18-2009, 02:52 PM
I'll take the Knicks here. I just dont see the Sixers being a great fit for Lebron.

Having a pair of 35 and 37 year olds, respectively, as your starting frontcourt is just a disaster waiting to happen. Shaq's inside game, and McDyess' mid-range game do compliment each other nice, but neither are starting caliber anymore, although both are big contributors still. I'm just saying if you put the weight of being a starter (and the minutes) on them, they are both going to be very limited in production, if not injured.

Also, they'll slow the game down, which doesnt help Lebron, as we've seen in real life. Lebron should be on an athletic uptempo team. I'm not saying to the extent of the 2005-07 Suns, but just a more uptempo team with shooters. Jason Richardson would be a nice 3rd option on a Lebron led team, but Jack as the starting PG is ugly.

A nice counter would be the Sixers' great bench. Chris Andersen and Frye would be huge contributors to their pre-historic starting frontcourt (why wouldnt either start over McDyess?) , and Korver off the bench would be a nice spot up shooter for Lebron to punch it out to.

Knicks in 6.

Knicks FTW
Nice avatar. :)

amoore87
11-18-2009, 03:01 PM
sixers..

VikingsRice18
11-18-2009, 03:19 PM
I like Philadelphia 76ers is this one