PDA

View Full Version : Hawks #1 in NBA.com Power Rankings

Mr.ATLHawks
11-16-2009, 02:54 PM
I know its early but the Atlanta Hawks are # 1 in the Power Rankings on NBA.com. i dont think i have ever seen them there in my entire life. How long do you think they will stay there? They have the Blazers, Miami, Rockets, and the Hornets again this week.

http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/

Double_R
11-16-2009, 02:58 PM
The Hawks are the 4 seed when it's all said and done...

These power rankings are a joke

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-16-2009, 02:58 PM
lol Jazz at 20... bums.

madiaz3
11-16-2009, 03:04 PM

Not really, they are there to rank who has had the most successful week in addition to their record being factored in, and the Hawks have had a great week.. People confuse powerrankings too often for who's the best team.

Jetsguy
11-16-2009, 03:09 PM
good for the Hawks man, love that team, gives me something to root for since my Knicks are so bad!

Jetsguy
11-16-2009, 03:09 PM

They may be the 4 seed but they can beat any team in the east, very dangerous team IMO

Double_R
11-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Jetsguy, they can't beat the Magic or Celtics in a 7 game series, maybe the Cavs, but very unlikely after watching basically the same team get swept in the playoffs last year

Mr.ATLHawks
11-16-2009, 03:20 PM
They may be the 4 seed but they can beat any team in the east, very dangerous team IMO

Very dangerous indeed. I think they can grab the #2 seed possibly the #1 if the Celtics and Cavs breakdown with injuries. The Hawks are young, quick, athletic...recipe to give people problems. Meanwhile Josh Smith has turned into an All-Star, and possibly the best shot blocker in the game today...its between him and Howard. People are scared to go up on Josh and its very evident when I watch the games..

Mr.ATLHawks
11-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Jetsguy, they can't beat the Magic or Celtics in a 7 game series, maybe the Cavs, but very unlikely after watching basically the same team get swept in the playoffs last year

Its not the same team. The same team gets crushed in Boston..this years team (more effcient bench scoring) better play out of Josh Smith, better spacing) Thats why they are beating good teams...They have balance and Joe Johnson has more faith in his teamates now..Their PPG is way up from last years and they are running more.

ChiSox219
11-16-2009, 03:33 PM
The Hawks have been very impressive, Josh Smith is having an outstanding season 16ppg/8rpg/4apg/1.7spg/2.6bpg. Jamal Crawford is actually making a good percentage of his shots and is a nasty 6th man. Horford is looking solid and Joe Johnson is a rock. I like how the team is built, very cohesive.

We shall see how they fair come playoff time, having Bibby as a veteran PG will be nice.

Remember this team two years ago took Boston to 7 games when Boston was at their peak and the Hawks were still incorporating Bibby, didn't have Crawford, and Josh Smith was jacking up long jumpers like he was Reggie Miller.

SB75
11-16-2009, 03:39 PM

My man...... My Hawks match up very well with Bos and Orl. It would be Cle that would give us problems do to size and LBJ. Don't let that pre-season whipping Orl gave us fool you, we played Orl and Bos very last year and I don't expect that to change.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-16-2009, 03:42 PM
i have one word:garbage

asandhu23
11-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Woohoo! Warriors is not the worst team in NBA :D

Jetsguy
11-16-2009, 03:44 PM

As others have said I think they absolutely can beat those 2 in a 7 game series. This team has gotten better every year for the last 4 or 5 years (many thanks to Woody but I guess that is for the Hawks forum) and with the additions of Jamal and Joe Smith off the Bench they are not only dangerous but one of the deepest teams in the NBA which IMO killed them when they lost in 7 to Boston 2 years ago and even last year to an extent although Cleveland was clearly better last year.

thephoenixson28
11-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Not really, they are there to rank who has had the most successful week in addition to their record being factored in, and the Hawks have had a great week.. People confuse powerrankings too often for who's the best team. Yeah that's what everyone thinks. Its for there records right now,not what team is going to be the best at seasons end. I probably would put the rockets higher but sounds pretty legit.

Double_R
11-16-2009, 04:10 PM
As others have said I think they absolutely can beat those 2 in a 7 game series. This team has gotten better every year for the last 4 or 5 years (many thanks to Woody but I guess that is for the Hawks forum) and with the additions of Jamal and Joe Smith off the Bench they are not only dangerous but one of the deepest teams in the NBA which IMO killed them when they lost in 7 to Boston 2 years ago and even last year to an extent although Cleveland was clearly better last year.

By others, you mean Hawks fans

I'm not saying the Hawks aren't a good team, I'm saying that they are not a top 3 team in the east and they are definitely not the top team in the league, not to mention that the Magic and Lakers are 7-3 and both teams have not been healthy, so say what you will, but in all reality we won't be having this conversation in April

TheKing23
11-16-2009, 04:28 PM

No chance in hell would the Hawks beat the Cavs in a seven game series... No one to stop LeBron.

prodigy
11-16-2009, 04:29 PM
suns #2? lol. Epic fail by NBA.com.

thephoenixson28
11-16-2009, 04:35 PM
suns #2? lol. Epic fail by NBA.com. See this is why you can't put up stuff like this cuz dumb comments like this. The suns 9-2 the only losses came from the 2 teams that made it to the finals not to mention they were the 2nd game from a back to back. Don't tell me that you are trying to put cleveland in the top 5. Your comment double fail.

Toenail Clipper
11-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Kaman IS the best center in LA.

philab
11-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Stein consistently sucks with these Power Rankings.

As he's stated before, the rankings are supposed to be indicative of current level of play. A team's overall record/strength is taken into account (so a team's position won't change dramatically from week-to-week, at least after a few weeks), but it's current strength that's measured.

So the Hawks at #1? Okay, whatever. They have the second best record and just beat Boston. I can handle that based on the above.

But Portland at #8 and Cleveland at #6, each behind LA and Boston? LA and Boston are sitting on back-to-back losses (including LA's home loss to Houston and Boston's loss to Indy). Portland, however, just won four ROAD games in a row and Cleveland just finished a road sweep of Orlando and Miami (Finals and playoff teams from last year, respectively). And all four teams have essentially the same record.

Stein ****ed up again.

ManRam
11-16-2009, 05:16 PM
I have no issues with the Hawks being #1 right now. They have the second best record in the league, just beat Boston convincingly. They are playing like the best team in the league. I think the rankings are fine. People freaking out need to realize it's based on how teams have done this year, and how they are now...not how they'll finish.

SteveNash
11-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Well deserved by the Hawks.

ManRam
11-16-2009, 05:30 PM
No chance in hell would the Hawks beat the Cavs in a seven game series... No one to stop LeBron.

I'm pretty sure I heard that last year vs. the Magic...just sayin' ;)

I think they have a chance to beat any team in the East. They have a great offense. If they can buckle down on defense, who knows. I agree that they don't have a great on-ball defender to throw at LeBron...but they could slow him down other ways. Smith is a great help defender, Marvin is a big athletic body who could run with him, they have the ability to throw a lot of guys at him, change things up, rely on Horford and Smith to help...and who knows.

I like the Hawks. I don't think they are a fluke right now.

JayW_1023
11-16-2009, 05:35 PM
The Hawks are definately underrated...they play with a chip on their shoulder. With Crawford they have become as deep as any team...they still need more inside scoring though. But this team has grown up and can beat anybody. They are not only good...but they are fun to watch with lots of spectacular players.

heyman321
11-16-2009, 05:40 PM

I would flat out call you a buffoon with profane words around it, but I'd get infracted by the mods, so I'll leave it at buffoon.

TheKing23
11-16-2009, 05:41 PM

I think they have a chance to beat any team in the East. They have a great offense. If they can buckle down on defense, who knows. I agree that they don't have a great on-ball defender to throw at LeBron...but they could slow him down other ways. Smith is a great help defender, Marvin is a big athletic body who could run with him, they have the ability to throw a lot of guys at him, change things up, rely on Horford and Smith to help...and who knows.

I don't remember anyone saying the Magic didn't have a chance against us last year, it was pretty even before the series started.

Anyway they would have a better chance at beating your Magic in seven than the Cavs in seven. They match up a lot better with you than they do us since they have a guy like Josh Smith who can guard out to the three point line and a big athletic center in Al Horford who can put a body on Dwight. I'm not sure if Carter could contain Johnson as well...

Jetsguy
11-16-2009, 05:42 PM

I'm not saying the Hawks aren't a good team, I'm saying that they are not a top 3 team in the east and they are definitely not the top team in the league, not to mention that the Magic and Lakers are 7-3 and both teams have not been healthy, so say what you will, but in all reality we won't be having this conversation in April

I dont get this, what are you basing this on, certainly not this year right? This ranking is to say who is better right now not in April, the Hawks just handled what many consider the best team in the league hence the ranking. The Cavs have looked very beatable and Orlando looks to miss Hedu more than expected but yes if you are trying to get me to say the are good teams then you are right! But for right now you cant argue with the Hawks being up there can you?

GoatMilk
11-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Kaman IS the best center in LA.

hmmmmm

it's pretty close.
Bynum has better overall numbers though

*Superman*
11-16-2009, 06:05 PM

They aren't saying they are the best team, but who is playing the best basketball so far. The Suns deserve it, I don't think anyone thought they would have the record they have.

I dont get this, what are you basing this on, certainly not this year right? This ranking is to say who is better right now not in April, the Hawks just handled what many consider the best team in the league hence the ranking. The Cavs have looked very beatable and Orlando looks to miss Hedu more than expected but yes if you are trying to get me to say the are good teams then you are right! But for right now you cant argue with the Hawks being up there can you?

Record so far. 7-3 w/o Rashard(back today), missed Carter for a couple games(ankle), missed Ryan Anderson(ankle), missed Bass(flu). I don't think we did that bad and regret letting Hedo go so far. With this team healthy watch out.

smith&wesson
11-16-2009, 06:31 PM
I actually think the hawks are better then the cavs.

the hawks have a way more balanced team. more depth as well.
also they are playing better then orlando and they beat the C's.

i think we will see the hawks in the ECF. agains either boston or orlando.

philab
11-16-2009, 07:18 PM

Point taken about the Magic. It must be noted, however, that the Cavaliers actually did sweep the Hawks last playoffs. So it's a much different story than that between the Cavs and Magic last year where everything was speculation (in terms of a series).

The Hawks are good -- most likely better than last season. They're off to a great start. I say we all just leave it at that for now.

Mr.ATLHawks
11-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Yeah that's what everyone thinks. Its for there records right now,not what team is going to be the best at seasons end. I probably would put the rockets higher but sounds pretty legit.

We will see you this week Rockets fan.

FOBolous
11-16-2009, 10:44 PM
they justified it in the power ranking and i can see where they're coming from....ESPN also has the Hawks as #1 on their power ranking this week.

FOBolous
11-16-2009, 10:46 PM

they played better than any of the team in the East this past week...heck they played better than ALL the teams in the NBA this past week hence them being in the #1 spot in both the NBA's and ESPN's power ranking. doesn't matter who's better talent wise...the important this is who actually PLAYED better this past week and it's the Hawks and you can't argue against that.

SB75
11-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Who do we have to beat to get the respect we deserve? The Hawks are for real.

Mr.ATLHawks
11-16-2009, 10:50 PM
they justified it in the power ranking and i can see where they're coming from....ESPN also has the Hawks as #1 on their power ranking this week.

Hawks just came back from 9 down 4th Quarter to beat Portland in overtime...J Smoove 20/16/2/2/2.Joe 35/9...Al 15/10. Good all around effort

MonJackson
11-16-2009, 10:53 PM
We aint and playing this year I've been telling ya'll that. 9-2 baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raph12
11-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Doesn't mean much yet, too early to make anything of these rankings.

swagga81
11-17-2009, 01:14 AM
i gotta say good for them they deserved it

lakersfan211
11-17-2009, 01:35 AM
hawks are a good team but we all know when its all set and done , the celtics , magic or cavs are coming out of the east .

MonJackson
11-17-2009, 01:46 AM
hawks are a good team but we all know when its all set and done , the celtics , magic or cavs are coming out of the east .

Speak 4 yourself everybody dont think like you do. We'll see at the end though.

Double_R
11-17-2009, 10:23 AM

Why is it always Lakers fans that understand where I'm coming from. The Hawks are playing good, I said they are and everyone keeps bashing me and saying that the Hawks are playing the best right now, blah blah blah...

I don't care where the Hawks are ranked, but all these Hawks fans getting so excited by some mediocre NBA writer need to relax b/c they aren't in the top 3 in the east and won't be. I don't get why all these Hawks fans and for some reason Jetsguy(the knicks fan/ biggest Hawks fan ever) keep crying about what I said about their team. I said the Hawks are the 4th best team, you guys should be happy I think your better than the Heat and Raptors and the rest of the east, but don't let a couple of weeks fool you into thinking your team is in the elite, because they are not in the same class as orl,bos,cle,la.

When I said the power rankings are a joke I was referring to the fact that the Magic and Lakers are so far down,when teams like the suns with only one less loss are 2, considering the fact that the Magic and Lakers both blew out the Suns, when the Magic were missing Vince Carter and Rashard Lewis and the Lakers were missing Pau.

FOBolous
11-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Why is it always Lakers fans that understand where I'm coming from. The Hawks are playing good, I said they are and everyone keeps bashing me and saying that the Hawks are playing the best right now, blah blah blah...

because they ARE playing the best right now....no1 is saying they're the best team talent wise but however, they ARE outplaying everyone right now. i don't understand why that's so hard for you to understand. having talent doesn't mean you automatically going to play well week after week hence the rise and drop in the power ranking.

I don't care where the Hawks are ranked, but all these Hawks fans getting so excited by some mediocre NBA writer need to relax b/c they aren't in the top 3 in the east and won't be.

at least they're playing LIKE a top 3 team....which is more than i can say about LA and Boston who both underachieve this past week.

I don't get why all these Hawks fans and for some reason Jetsguy(the knicks fan/ biggest Hawks fan ever) keep crying about what I said about their team. I said the Hawks are the 4th best team, you guys should be happy I think your better than the Heat and Raptors and the rest of the east, but don't let a couple of weeks fool you into thinking your team is in the elite, because they are not in the same class as orl,bos,cle,la.

everyone has they're own opinions. Orlando, Boston, Cleveland, and LA are the undisputed best 4 teams in the league talent wise, but Atlanta fans also can make a strong case as to why they're up there. Every single player in their starting 5 is talented and they have a great 6th man off the bench. in addition to that...they're playing GREAT right now. whether you agree or disagree is your own opinion. we won't know who is right until midway through the season but until than...Atlanta fans DO have a point.

When I said the power rankings are a joke I was referring to the fact that the Magic and Lakers are so far down,when teams like the suns with only one less loss are 2, considering the fact that the Magic and Lakers both blew out the Suns, when the Magic were missing Vince Carter and Rashard Lewis and the Lakers were missing Pau

again...these power rankings isn't base on which team is more talented and which team did better last season...it's base on who played the best the week before. get that through your thick skull. Boston lost two straight this past week and LA lost 2 straight this past week. How can a team who lost so many games in one particular week be the top 2 team for the power ranking that week? answer me that please.

LionBryan
11-17-2009, 10:44 AM
People are obviously stupid. Why do you bother?

Jetsguy
11-17-2009, 10:52 AM

I don't care where the Hawks are ranked, but all these Hawks fans getting so excited by some mediocre NBA writer need to relax b/c they aren't in the top 3 in the east and won't be. I don't get why all these Hawks fans and for some reason Jetsguy(the knicks fan/ biggest Hawks fan ever) keep crying about what I said about their team. I said the Hawks are the 4th best team, you guys should be happy I think your better than the Heat and Raptors and the rest of the east, but don't let a couple of weeks fool you into thinking your team is in the elite, because they are not in the same class as orl,bos,cle,la.

When I said the power rankings are a joke I was referring to the fact that the Magic and Lakers are so far down,when teams like the suns with only one less loss are 2, considering the fact that the Magic and Lakers both blew out the Suns, when the Magic were missing Vince Carter and Rashard Lewis and the Lakers were missing Pau.

You do realize it is most people on here disagreeing with you not just me and hawks fans right?

prodigy
11-17-2009, 10:52 AM
See this is why you can't put up stuff like this cuz dumb comments like this. The suns 9-2 the only losses came from the 2 teams that made it to the finals not to mention they were the 2nd game from a back to back. Don't tell me that you are trying to put cleveland in the top 5. Your comment double fail.

Until the suns play defense, I will never have them in my top 5. Cleveland had won 6 of their last 7 games, whooping up on the magic and beating the heat on back to back road games. Doing all that without The second most important player last season west.

thephoenixson28
11-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Until the suns play defense, I will never have them in my top 5. Cleveland had won 6 of their last 7 games, whooping up on the magic and beating the heat on back to back road games. Doing all that without The second most important player last season west. 2 of there games were won on defense. Toronto and the Clippers had a chance to win it at the buzzer.

Confusion
11-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Atlanta is doing really good so far this season.

mikantsass
11-17-2009, 11:54 AM
As an NBA fan, I like to see the Hawks making some noise. They got some talent, and I personally always have rooted for the ATL teams (Braves, Falcons). Its good for the NBA, especially in the southern markets. I think when the season ends, they end up anywhere from 3-5 seed. It is going to be a fight between the Hawks, Cavs and Wiz for those spots

Double_R
11-17-2009, 12:33 PM
because they ARE playing the best right now....no1 is saying they're the best team talent wise but however, they ARE outplaying everyone right now. i don't understand why that's so hard for you to understand. having talent doesn't mean you automatically going to play well week after week hence the rise and drop in the power ranking.

I'm fine with the Hawks, if you read my posts, I never once say they shouldn't be number 1 for the week, what I say is that they aren't in the top 3 teams in the east, because they aren't, we are talking about 10 games played, the Magic dressed 8 players the other day and they are 8-3, what I'm saying is that how are they 8 and the Lakers 9, I could care less about a bunch of false hope for some unimportant 4-6 seed team.

at least they're playing LIKE a top 3 team....which is more than i can say about LA and Boston who both underachieve this past week.

everyone has they're own opinions. Orlando, Boston, Cleveland, and LA are the undisputed best 4 teams in the league talent wise, but Atlanta fans also can make a strong case as to why they're up there. Every single player in their starting 5 is talented and they have a great 6th man off the bench. in addition to that...they're playing GREAT right now. whether you agree or disagree is your own opinion. we won't know who is right until midway through the season but until than...Atlanta fans DO have a point.

Listen, I said that Atlanta is the 4th best team in the east, be happy with that, Orlando and Boston are way deeper than the Hawks, and the Cavs swept them by a very healthy margin in every game, things don't change that much with Jamal Crawford.

again...these power rankings isn't base on which team is more talented and which team did better last season...it's base on who played the best the week before. get that through your thick skull. Boston lost two straight this past week and LA lost 2 straight this past week. How can a team who lost so many games in one particular week be the top 2 team for the power ranking that week? answer me that please.

THat is not what I said, what I said is how can the Suns who got blown out on Thursday by the Lakers be 2 and the Lakers be 9 on monday, that is a joke, no matter how you stroke there sport.

thephoenixson28
11-17-2009, 02:36 PM
THat is not what I said, what I said is how can the Suns who got blown out on Thursday by the Lakers be 2 and the Lakers be 9 on monday, that is a joke, no matter how you stroke there sport. cuz the lakers are 7-3 and suns are 9-2 :shrug:

ManRam
11-17-2009, 06:26 PM
cuz the lakers are 7-3 and suns are 9-2 :shrug:

Haha. Seriously. With Double_R's logic the Rockets should be ahead of the Lakers, despite their worst record.

It's called a bad game. The Suns had one, but overall, they've been the better team. LA beat the Suns, then proceeded to lose two back to back.

I have zero issues with the Suns being #2.

thephoenixson28
11-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Haha. Seriously. With Double_R's logic the Rockets should be ahead of the Lakers, despite their worst record.

It's called a bad game. The Suns had one, but overall, they've been the better team. LA beat the Suns, then proceeded to lose two back to back.

I have zero issues with the Suns being #2. Yeah I'm not to worried about it cuz every laker fan thinks they should be ahead of the suns even if we have a 10 game lead on them. Regardless I'm not mad about this list sounds pretty legit. Maybe change a few things.

prodigy
11-24-2009, 07:52 PM
They got some talent, and I personally always have rooted for the ATL teams (Braves, Falcons). Its good for the NBA, especially in the southern markets.

Its good for the NBA if braves and falcons do well?

I think when the season ends, they end up anywhere from 3-5 seed. It is going to be a fight between the Hawks, Celtics and Wiz for those spots

thats better.

USMCLaker
11-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Congratulations to the Hawks, impressive start!!!

HuRRiCaNeS324
11-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Wow a lot of haters lol. I sincerely think the Hawks are going to have a better record than the Cavs this year. Their roster is as solid as it gets.

I think the playoffs are gonna be like this:
1. Magic
2. Celtics
3. Hawks
4. Cavs
5. Raptors
6. Heat
7. Bulls
8. Sixers or Bucks

SB75
11-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Still no respect for the Hawks, wow. Maybe after the Thanksgiving day game, If Bibby plays.

Raph12
11-25-2009, 12:56 AM
The Hawks will play the Magic on Thursday, should be a good litmus test for both teams... I expect a Magic blowout.

CowboysKB24
11-25-2009, 01:33 AM

Any team can beat any team in a 7 game series. Get real.

RaptorizedKevin
11-25-2009, 01:33 AM

you think they can beat the cavs? when the cavs swept them last year? and the celtics are drying up and getting old? LOOL