PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo Anthony: Lakers Signed Artest To Guard Me

JordansBulls
11-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Source: LATimes (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-fyi14-2009nov14,0,6365009.story)

He also said he was the reason the Lakers signed Artest.

"I think so," Anthony said before the game. "I think they do a great job just focusing in on getting the ball out of my hands and making somebody else score the basketball or win the game.

"They won it last year, don't get me wrong. But they feel much more complete now getting Artest. I would too, though."

mfb_lt1birdman
11-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Well Melo, you are just one of the reasons. Don't forget in all liklyhood after you get bounced there will be Pierce or Lebron that need a world class defender.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-15-2009, 10:06 AM
who cares?

we will beat the **** out of denver when the playoffs are coming

Statik1
11-15-2009, 10:28 AM
lol yes Lakers signed Artest for the sole purpose to stop Melo LOL.... Keep telling yourself that Melo... If he didn't have Billups he would still be headed down the path he was on while Iverson was there.

Jays Claw
11-15-2009, 12:48 PM
The Los Angeles Lakers obviously brought in Ron Artest for other purposes as well. The team probably thought they were weak defensively at the small forward position. Although, Trevor Ariza is an excellent defender in my opinion. The league has a crop of talented, athletic and tough to guard small forwards. They clearly want to repeat this year as champions and the only way they can, is by having the best defensive player in the league on their team.

Ty Fast
11-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Don’t talk to much trash Melo. They bounced you from the playoffs 2 years in row and they are the defending world champs

pf289
11-15-2009, 01:07 PM
What an idiot. If Denver had bounced the Lakers 2 years in a row that would be one thing, but when you lose like the Nuggets have he needs to just shut his mouth.

Ty Fast
11-15-2009, 01:10 PM
lol yes Lakers signed Artest for the sole purpose to stop Melo LOL.... Keep telling yourself that Melo... If he didn't have Billups he would still be headed down the path he was on while Iverson was there.

that is a sweet ring

SirCalvin81
11-15-2009, 01:44 PM
that is a sweet ring

how much do you think it is worth?

PrettyBoyJ
11-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Melo your a good Player but with or without Artest Lakers Had the Nuggets number for many years.. Knocked them out the playoffs 2 years now.. and will do it again.. that win on fri. really doesnt mean anything.. you cant go perfeect in the season..

Jahari Kavi
11-15-2009, 01:56 PM
he's not stupid for saying it....artest is mainly there for melo, lebron, and pierce.

Confusion
11-15-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm a Denver fan and always have been but I hate seeing Melo continuously talking **** about the Lakers. When infact, they didn't even have Pau and he acts like they won the damn championship. It was a good game until that third quarter but still, making a comment like that is just stupid.

Ty Fast
11-15-2009, 02:49 PM
how much do you think it is worth?

probably $50 000

AllTheWay
11-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Hey Melo, shut the **** up, yeah?

You've had your *** handed to you by the Lakers two straight years in the playoffs, learn to be humble.

ko8e24
11-15-2009, 03:11 PM
lol at melo. funny guy!

Wilson
11-15-2009, 03:13 PM
This is what Laker fans have been saying since Ron signed...:shrug:

gcoll
11-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Phil Jackson from later in the article:

Carmelo's outweighed our guys in that position by 30, 40 pounds," hesaid. "Kobe [Bryant]asked to play him three, four years ago and [Anthony] got a big second half on him and had a lot of fun at Kobe's expense. Trevor used speed on last year, we used a variety of defensive mechanisms to hold him in check, but Ron's a guy that really can physically stand up to him

Also. They never show what question he (Carmelo) was asked. He was responding to a question.

B.JenningsMVP
11-15-2009, 03:28 PM
And to guard LeBron, Pierce, etc.

ko8e24
11-15-2009, 03:30 PM
it was mainly for pierce in the finals IMO. Lebron wont make it, and I think the Nuggets are going to run into another road block before they can even think of a rematch w/ the lakers in the 2010 WCF, and that road block is the dallas mavericks.

tr4shb0t
11-15-2009, 03:31 PM
Artest hardly even get to guard Melo in the first game...Melo was in foul trouble the first half, Artest was in foul trouble the second half.

Statik1
11-15-2009, 03:31 PM
Lets put it this way. They smacked us pretty hard without Gasol and now Melo says this...

Its early in the season my friends and once the Laker's are back to 100% and are healthy rolling into the playoffs and we meet Denver again tell me Kobe, Ron and the rest wont feed off all this talk. The saying goes "Don't wake up a sleeping giant" well maybe now you just lit a fire under a awoken giants ***! And until then Denver KISS THE RING! CLICK HERE :) (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2528/4053588882_24be59ebec.jpg)

clehmun
11-15-2009, 03:43 PM
artest wasn't signed for any specific player. if there's one, it'd be kobe.
artest was signed so that kobe can be the 2nd option on perimeter defense on most nights which would allow him to focus on other things while preserving his energy for the season and deep into the playoffs.

for the whole season, kobe would be guarding steve blake instead of roy, jr smith instead of melo, anthony parker instead of lebron, thabo instead of durant, beasley instead of dwade, etc.

all the extra energy he saves is the reason why the lakers signed artest.

Go_NUGGETS
11-15-2009, 04:33 PM
He's correct.

madiaz3
11-15-2009, 04:52 PM
I don't know about anybody else, but I personally loved the back and forth offense and defense of Kobe on Melo and vice versa last season in the playoffs, but then again, they had a healthy Gasol in that series.

dtmagnet
11-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Melo is a good scorer, and umm.... I can't think of anything else.

iggypop123
11-15-2009, 05:02 PM
it was actually for lebron. lakers have higher goals than WCF appearances

GoatMilk
11-15-2009, 05:07 PM
lol he's flattering himself.

they beat the nuggets without Artest anyways

they signed artest because he's better than Ariza

bahama0811
11-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks JB, nothing like stirring up the Laker fans.

Rocktober2009
11-15-2009, 05:16 PM
who cares?

Lol

DenButsu
11-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks JB, nothing like stirring up the Laker fans.

No doubt.

First of all, as gcoll pointed out, the question to which Melo responds "I think so" isn't even posted in the article, which means the response is taken out of context. But it sure looks to me like the question was, "Do you think the Lakers signed Artest to guard you?" Jeez, set up a guy for a lose-lose question much?

Secondly, I really don't see how all the Lakers fans are construing this as trash talk. Kobe himself said that the Lakers' most difficult postseason opponenet was the Nuggets. And all the statements from all the posters saying "the Nuggets got rolled the last 2 years" in the playoffs by the Lakers are pretty inaccurate in the sense that they lump the absolute beat down 2 seasons ago in with the fairly even matchup of last season, in which 2 of the games were won by the Lakers on lucky fluke inbounds plays, but could easily have gone Denver's way instead. That series was much closer than the 4-2 result would point to, and the primary reason for that was Melo.

DenButsu
11-15-2009, 05:39 PM
As a side note, I'd like to thank the few Lakers fans posting in this thread who are not making me regret my recent post in the Nuggets forum sticking up for Lakers fans.

Bruno
11-15-2009, 05:42 PM
This is news?

You are correct.

Highlight
11-15-2009, 06:05 PM
He is absolutely right.

But he forgot to mention that we signed Artest for other players similar to his body size as well. (Lebron Peirce, etc.).

Ariza was great for us, but if we play against a healthy Celtics, I know for a fact we would run into the same problems against Peirce that we had in the previous finals against them.

Artest is big enough to at least slow those players down a bit. (I hope)

Anyways, no reason to hate on Melo. I know his statement can come off as a bit cocky, but it's hard to see how he said it by only looking at this article. I'm sure he was just answering a typical question from a reporter.

Lakersfan2483
11-15-2009, 06:11 PM
I don't think Melo's comments were a big deal at all, he was just answering a question. The Lakers brought in Artest specifically for guys like Melo, Bron, and Pierce.

i.got.the.nutz
11-15-2009, 07:39 PM
He's right. Lakers got Artest so they would have a better match up defensively against the likes of Melo, Pierce and Lebron. Nothing wrong with his statement.

ko8e24
11-15-2009, 08:19 PM
OMG, I can't believe Melo said that, how dare he "rant, rant, rant, nonsense, nonsense"

lol jk

melo is a funny dude, but there is of course some truth to wut he said.

cmellofan15
11-15-2009, 08:24 PM
who cares?

http://www.nba.com/games/20091113/LALDEN/boxscore.html

wait! when did this happen? hold on...did the nuggets beat the **** out of the almighty lakers?

http://www.nba.com/games/20091030/DALLAL/boxscore.html

and this too?! not only one but TWO contenders in WC beat them by more than 10? amazing :rolleyes:

don't guarantee playoff wins until you beat a team in the regular season.

Hawkeye15
11-15-2009, 08:33 PM
while he has a point, its not the only reason. Artest, if used right, and given time off defensively, can save up and do a decent job on Melo, James, Pierce, etc. Ie, the big physical wings. I still don't think he will be an upgrade over Ariza, but he is a very good defender if used right. basically, don't make him guard the other top wing for 82 games and playoffs anymore, he will break down.

Bruno
11-15-2009, 08:40 PM
while he has a point, its not the only reason. Artest, if used right, and given time off defensively, can save up and do a decent job on Melo, James, Pierce, etc. Ie, the big physical wings. I still don't think he will be an upgrade over Ariza, but he is a very good defender if used right. basically, don't make him guard the other top wing for 82 games and playoffs anymore, he will break down.

Yea, making sure he has his legs is the most important thing for him. People shouldn't be expecting him to be a defensive stopper night in and night out; he just needs to get comfortable with the offense and to not push it too hard, too early.

kozelkid
11-15-2009, 08:42 PM
What exactly has he said that is negative about the Lakers and getting all you folks riled up about?
Guarding Melo was clearly one of the reasons they got Artest, especially since they can very well end up in the WCF again.

Hawkeye15
11-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Yea, making sure he has his legs is the most important thing for him. People shouldn't be expecting him to be a defensive stopper night in and night out; he just needs to get comfortable with the offense and to not push it too hard, too early.

which is why I made the claim, that the Lakers team defensive efficiency this regular season will be worse than last year's. Ariza was able to play more on the top dog from the other team. BUT, and that is a bit BUT, the Lakers will try and keep Artest rested, and ready to go for the playoffs, where if he was used right for 82 games, will be a better on the ball defender for them. He doesn't give them better defense team wise per say, cause he doesn't rebound very well, but that won't matter since Bynum decided to wake up. This move was all about this year and next in the playoff's while leaving some roster flexibility following that. Ariza wanted a longer deal, and rightly so.

Bruno
11-15-2009, 08:54 PM
which is why I made the claim, that the Lakers team defensive efficiency this regular season will be worse than last year's. Ariza was able to play more on the top dog from the other team. BUT, and that is a bit BUT, the Lakers will try and keep Artest rested, and ready to go for the playoffs, where if he was used right for 82 games, will be a better on the ball defender for them. He doesn't give them better defense team wise per say, cause he doesn't rebound very well, but that won't matter since Bynum decided to wake up. This move was all about this year and next in the playoff's while leaving some roster flexibility following that. Ariza wanted a longer deal, and rightly so.

Yeah, I'd agree with you on that. As long as Artest plays great D during the playoffs, it perhaps makes the swap worth it. At this point, I think it's really more so in Arizas hands, rather than Artests, as to weather or not it was a good swap or not. If Ariza continues to play great D, and average almost 20 a night, theres not much Artest can do to make it seem like a great deal for the Lakers (until playoffs, IF, he can shut down those superstar 3's).

All Laker fans wish we still had Ariza. It makes us curse the Walton/VladRad/Sasha signings. If we hadn't signed Luke,Vlad (Morrison) or Sasha to those deals, we could have afforded Artest and Ariza :facepalm:

Hawkeye15
11-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I'd agree with you on that. As long as Artest plays great D during the playoffs, it perhaps makes the swap worth it. At this point, I think it's really more so in Arizas hands, rather than Artests, as to weather or not it was a good swap or not. If Ariza continues to play great D, and average almost 20 a night, theres not much Artest can do to make it seem like a great deal for the Lakers (until playoffs, IF, he can shut down those superstar 3's).

All Laker fans wish we still had Ariza. It makes us curse the Walton/VladRad/Sasha signings. If we hadn't signed Luke,Vlad (Morrison) or Sasha to those deals, we could have afforded Artest and Ariza :facepalm:

haha, I hear you man. And trust me, Ariza could go for 29/5/5, and win DPOY award, but if the Lakers win the next 2 championships, can anyone claim letting him go and getting Artest was not a good deal for them?
I will say, so far, Artest has looked good to me. He isn't the ball stopper he was in Houston, and is distributing the ball well. The Lakers need Gasol back badly, their depth will KILL them if they take injuries. But then again, name me a contender who can afford to lose an all star and not miss a beat.

dwadefan03
11-15-2009, 09:09 PM
why is everyone so upset about this. Hes right. hes absolutley right. He is the best small forward in the west period. He has a right ot say so as well, just because his team lost in the playoffs doesnt take away from the fact that hes a great player. Anthony was on an absolute tear in the playoffs and considering the fact that the lakers will most likely have to face them again sometime soon in the postseason it makes sense to say that thats why they signed artest. And besides its not like he was talking trash, he was just simply stating a fact which is not the least bit untrue

mlisica19
11-15-2009, 09:12 PM
They did... they didnt sign Artest specifically for Carmelo but they did sign him to defend each teams 1st or 2nd best Forward/Guard... Hes a great defensive player and it gives Kobe less pressure. Hes also straighten up since his aggressive ways back in the day and any team would want him

iggypop123
11-15-2009, 09:14 PM
wow we dont play them till February. at least we should have our health and not go in on a back to back situation

ragee
11-15-2009, 09:28 PM
This is the reason why I hate the Nuggets more than the Lakers... Melo is so full of himself! They don't need to sign anyone to just to try to Guard Melo... Sure, Melo is a great scorer but basketball is not a one man game... I believe the Lakers can beat the Nuggets in a 7 game series with or without Artest...

GspLAL
11-15-2009, 10:11 PM
I dont think he was talking trash, plus it's true, we needed some else to guard Melo, it just depends on what he meant. Did we get Artest for the sole purpose of guarding him? No, it's for other SF's also (Pierce, Lebron), plus he's a better overall defender.

Raph12
11-15-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm sure that guy balling in Cleveland, that next guy in Boston or even that new guy in Orlando all had nothing to do with it... He may be one of the reasons that LA got Artest, but not the sole reason.

dodie53
11-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Melo is right.

Toenail Clipper
11-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Is Carmelo ********?
Lakers signed Artest to help each other out; Artest wants a ring and he will help the team get it.
That is why I never really gave a crap about him.

PapelbonLester
11-15-2009, 11:07 PM
hahaha i love melo. The nuggets should go out and get lebron next year so i can see my favorite 2 players on the same team!!

Ray_R
11-15-2009, 11:09 PM
I'm sure that guy balling in Cleveland, that next guy in Boston or even that new guy in Orlando all had nothing to do with it... He may be one of the reasons that LA got Artest, but not the sole reason.

quick Question? can you really be a Celtics fan and a lakers fan

Chronz
11-15-2009, 11:43 PM
They got him because they were worried they would lose Ariza and have no alternative. Ariza took too long to work something out with the Lakers, both sides took offense and moved on.

Tyreke Jennings
11-15-2009, 11:45 PM
Hes full of himself

Shady66
11-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Lets all hate on the nugs and melo because he said something slightly dis respectful about the lakers..

madiaz3
11-16-2009, 01:10 AM
http://www.nba.com/games/20091113/LALDEN/boxscore.html

wait! when did this happen? hold on...did the nuggets beat the **** out of the almighty lakers?

http://www.nba.com/games/20091030/DALLAL/boxscore.html

and this too?! not only one but TWO contenders in WC beat them by more than 10? amazing :rolleyes:

don't guarantee playoff wins until you beat a team in the regular season.

Those games would only have relevance if Nuggets were missing Chauncey or someone else with the importance of Pau, because Gasol will most certainly be in the lineup come playoff time.

Kohaku
11-16-2009, 01:16 AM
Those games would only have relevance if Nuggets were missing Chauncey or someone else with the importance of Pau, because Gasol will most certainly be in the lineup come playoff time.

We were missing Anthony Carter :shrug:

ElMarroAfamado
11-16-2009, 01:56 AM
its funny when guys talk ****
yet they dont win ****

PLAYERS FAN
11-16-2009, 02:09 AM
Source: LATimes (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-fyi14-2009nov14,0,6365009.story)

:no: the team that win the championship never adjust to the teams they beat!

Fool
11-16-2009, 10:03 AM
:laugh: that's funny.

wileyisTOFU
11-16-2009, 10:58 AM
artest is lebron slayer. Last year the rockets raped the Cavs with battier and artest, was quite enjoyable.

G-Funk
11-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Come on Melo, Lakers world does not evolve around you.

albertc86
11-16-2009, 11:59 AM
How stupid. I think every team tries to get the ball out of the opposing team's best player's hands. Walton did reasonably well against Carmelo in the playoffs last year, but yes, Artest does help. Carmelo is full of himself on this one.

DodgerorLaker?
11-16-2009, 12:15 PM
No doubt.

First of all, as gcoll pointed out, the question to which Melo responds "I think so" isn't even posted in the article, which means the response is taken out of context. But it sure looks to me like the question was, "Do you think the Lakers signed Artest to guard you?" Jeez, set up a guy for a lose-lose question much?

Secondly, I really don't see how all the Lakers fans are construing this as trash talk. Kobe himself said that the Lakers' most difficult postseason opponenet was the Nuggets. And all the statements from all the posters saying "the Nuggets got rolled the last 2 years" in the playoffs by the Lakers are pretty inaccurate in the sense that they lump the absolute beat down 2 seasons ago in with the fairly even matchup of last season, in which 2 of the games were won by the Lakers on lucky fluke inbounds plays, but could easily have gone Denver's way instead. That series was much closer than the 4-2 result would point to, and the primary reason for that was Melo.

Fluke inbound plays? combination of a ******** thug (Martin) and great reaction by Ariza,I wouldn't say fluke.I don't remember Kobe saying Denver was there toughest playoff series when game 6 was a beatdown in L.A and the series before Houston took the Lakers to 7 when Denver only went 6.Rolled or not bottom line the Lakers have beaten the Nuggets in the playoffs 2 straight seasons and its going to be 3 if the Nuggets can get to the WCF this year.This isn't trash talk by Melo at all to me though........Ron Ron is here to matchup up with big guards and small forwards (Melo,Lebron,Pierce).

Jah king
11-16-2009, 12:26 PM

LO can defend him well enuff....Lets focus on Bird dog for a moment... Any one who has as many prison tats and Dews up his Pho-hawk before every game has got to be queer...Maybe after the Denver prison want abees get knock out of the playoffs this year the Bird can work on adding some eye liner to his gaym..

Double_R
11-16-2009, 12:48 PM
That is kinda true

Chronz
11-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Fluke inbound plays? combination of a ******** thug (Martin) and great reaction by Ariza,I wouldn't say fluke.I don't remember Kobe saying Denver was there toughest playoff series when game 6 was a beatdown in L.A and the series before Houston took the Lakers to 7 when Denver only went 6.Rolled or not bottom line the Lakers have beaten the Nuggets in the playoffs 2 straight seasons and its going to be 3 if the Nuggets can get to the WCF this year.This isn't trash talk by Melo at all to me though........Ron Ron is here to matchup up with big guards and small forwards (Melo,Lebron,Pierce).

The Rockets were the 2nd best team in the West last year when healthy, but without Yao it was never in question. I know they took them to 7 but when you get absolutely crushed in your losses, its pretty clear they never stood a chance. Yes they played great without Yao, but Id take that 1-2 mark with Yao and every game being close, over the 2-2 mark without him but never standing a chance in half of those games.

The Nuggs were at full strength every game so I could see where Kobe was going with it, but I have no doubt hed rather face the Nuggs again than a ready to rumble Rockets team.

DenButsu
11-16-2009, 02:55 PM
******** thug

Woulda liked to have read what you wrote if you actually had a point, but it's too bad you lost all credibility right from the get go like that. Shame, really.

AddiX
11-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Melo is telling the truth here.

Last year in the playoffs, I watched Kobe repeatedly push Mello with two hands under the basket and Mello got no call and still got the board and the bucket.

I'm not even knocking Kobe, but Mello was beasting the **** out of him like I've never seen before. I've never in my life have seen so many no-calls, Kobe was fouling him on every play and couldn't stop him.

macc
11-16-2009, 03:28 PM

Why do you laugh? I'm sure that's part of the reason they signed him. Denver is going to be one of their biggest competitions this year so why wouldn't that be in the back of your gm's mind when it came to signing a free agent. Afterall, didn't Denver just kick the crap out of LA the other day? There is a reason why certain free agents are signed.

Besides the Cavs did it, they signed Shaq for the main purpose of containing Howard. Why you're so quick to laugh at what he said is laughable in itself.

CityofTreez
11-16-2009, 03:35 PM
What a useless statement!

They couldn't sign Ariza, so yeah, they needed defense in his absence.

JordansBulls
11-17-2009, 04:01 PM
The Rockets were the 2nd best team in the West last year when healthy, but without Yao it was never in question. I know they took them to 7 but when you get absolutely crushed in your losses, its pretty clear they never stood a chance. Yes they played great without Yao, but Id take that 1-2 mark with Yao and every game being close, over the 2-2 mark without him but never standing a chance in half of those games.

The Nuggs were at full strength every game so I could see where Kobe was going with it, but I have no doubt hed rather face the Nuggs again than a ready to rumble Rockets team.

To be honest, you aren't winning a series without HCA without your top players on the team and you sure as hell ain't winning a game 7 on the road without all your horses.

SwaggaIke
11-18-2009, 02:57 AM
He's really not talking trash and in a way its kind of true. Melo made every wing on the Lakers look foolish in the WCF. If I recall he bodied everybody, including the great Kobe Bryant. You need a bull like Artest to even think about defending him on the block.

Raph12
11-18-2009, 03:39 AM
quick Question? can you really be a Celtics fan and a lakers fan

Yes, you can be a fan of the sport of basketball and follow any team that plays it well.

Chronz
11-18-2009, 03:32 PM
To be honest, you aren't winning a series without HCA without your top players on the team and you sure as hell ain't winning a game 7 on the road without all your horses.
Had nothing to do with HCA

Ty Fast
11-18-2009, 10:47 PM
hahaha i love melo. The nuggets should go out and get lebron next year so i can see my favorite 2 players on the same team!!

jordan and pippen 2.0

Sports Illustrator
11-18-2009, 10:59 PM
I am just glad he acknowledged Ron Artest's defense although that statement he made there is a little bold and arrogant as the Lakers did not only sign Artest to guard Carmelo Anthony.

_KB24_
11-18-2009, 11:14 PM
I like it. I don't know why everyone is flaming on him. Melo is a competitive guy and Kobe and him like to take a shot or two at each other every now and then. Hey, it will hopefully lead up to a thrilling series....

SlowMo
11-18-2009, 11:25 PM
HAHAHA, what a thread. The excerpt from the beginning doesn't even prove that Melo actually said this. Either way, I'm pretty sure at least one reason LA pursued artest is because they needed a bigger/better defender than Ariza at SF. If they could've neutralized Melo on the block in the WCF last year, the Nuggets might not have won any games. He was a beast down there.

sofargone
11-19-2009, 12:32 AM
you know what? its probably true.