PDA

View Full Version : Who Has The Best Head Coach-Superstar/All-Star Relationship in the NBA?

ko8e24
11-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Who has the best coach-superstar/allstar relationship? And Why?

Phil Jackson-Kobe Bryant (L.A. Lakers)
Gregg Popovich-Tim Duncan (San Antonio Spurs)
George Karl-Carmelo Anthony (Denver Nuggets)
George Karl-Chauncey Billups (Denver Nuggets)
Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett (Boston Celtics)
Doc Rivers-Paul Pierce (Boston Celtics)
Mike Brown-LeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers)
Nate McMillan-Brandon Roy (Portland Trailblazers)
Stan Van Gundy-Dwight Howard (Orlando Magic)
Alvin Gentry-Steve Nash (Phoenix Suns)

ChiSox219
11-15-2009, 12:28 AM
Pop and Duncan

No explanation need and no comparisons come close.

D-Leethal
11-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Pop-Duncan

ko8e24
11-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Pop and Duncan

No explanation need and no comparisons come close.

I totally agree wid this. Just wanted to give other options as to why others may think otherwise.

nipo10847
11-15-2009, 12:33 AM
make a poll and I bet it will show 90% Gregg Popovich-Tim Duncan.

JasonJohnHorn
11-15-2009, 12:53 AM
I'm go with Pop and Duncan too. Kobe and Phil have to be near the bottom, they've had so many problems in the past and even after Phil came back, he's sit Kobe when he was have sick games, like that Dallas game when he scored over 60 in three quarters and Phil benched him for the fourth quarter. Most coaches would have let him play, but from what I remember in press interviews Jackson thought Kobe was taking on too much and needed to spread the ball around.

Pop and Duncan always seem to be on the same page and there has never been any drama. As for George Karl, he has been close to getting fired a couple times now, Chauncey saved his *** last year. Doc Rivers had the same problem, had Boston not been able to land Allen and Garnett, Rivers likely would have been fired that season and was close to getting canned the season prior from the rumours I'd heard (not that you can always trust rumours). I remember Ainge's job was on the line to.

Howard and VanGundy no way. VanGundy knows how to use the talent on his team and spreads the ball and encourages ball movement, but Howard publically called him out in the playoffs last year and said he should run more plays through him while the team was winning games by running the way VanGundy was running. Howard needs to get an offensive game like Hakeem or Kareem before he starts *****ing about his coach in the playoffs.

Gentry and Nash just started togehter, so I can't gauge their relationship. Mike Brown is one of the worst offensive coaches in the NBA right now (I'm sorry Cav fans), and he runs like every play through LBJ and runs way too many isolation plays with him. McMillan is good, and he and Roy seem to have a good relationship, but I would say its a smooth as Duncan and Pop.

So I go with Duncan and Pop, hands down.

superkegger
11-15-2009, 01:38 AM
Skiles-Jennings

ko8e24
11-15-2009, 01:45 AM
I'm go with Pop and Duncan too. Kobe and Phil have to be near the bottom, they've had so many problems in the past and even after Phil came back, he's sit Kobe when he was have sick games, like that Dallas game when he scored over 60 in three quarters and Phil benched him for the fourth quarter. Most coaches would have let him play, but from what I remember in press interviews Jackson thought Kobe was taking on too much and needed to spread the ball around.

Pop and Duncan always seem to be on the same page and there has never been any drama. As for George Karl, he has been close to getting fired a couple times now, Chauncey saved his *** last year. Doc Rivers had the same problem, had Boston not been able to land Allen and Garnett, Rivers likely would have been fired that season and was close to getting canned the season prior from the rumours I'd heard (not that you can always trust rumours). I remember Ainge's job was on the line to.

Howard and VanGundy no way. VanGundy knows how to use the talent on his team and spreads the ball and encourages ball movement, but Howard publically called him out in the playoffs last year and said he should run more plays through him while the team was winning games by running the way VanGundy was running. Howard needs to get an offensive game like Hakeem or Kareem before he starts *****ing about his coach in the playoffs.

Gentry and Nash just started togehter, so I can't gauge their relationship. Mike Brown is one of the worst offensive coaches in the NBA right now (I'm sorry Cav fans), and he runs like every play through LBJ and runs way too many isolation plays with him. McMillan is good, and he and Roy seem to have a good relationship, but I would say its a smooth as Duncan and Pop.

So I go with Duncan and Pop, hands down.

we're not talkin about Phil Jackson circa 2004 or 2006 or George Karl 2007. We're talking about NOW!

I would say Pop and Duncan, but to be honest, I think all nba fans have come to see the evolution of the relationship between Phil & Kobe from 2004 all the way to now.

I NEED TO CLARIFY THAT PHIL JACKSON AND KOBE BRYANT'S RELATIONSHIP HAS REPAIRED AND TAKEN A COMPLETE 180. SO HERE ARE MY ARGUMENTS:

I mean, they got to 2 finals 2gether (08 & 09) and won a title in 09. U talk about Kobe's 62 in 3 qtrs vs Dallas, but Kobe was avg hectic minutes that season and the Lakers were blowing out the Mavs by like 25+ pts after 3 qtrs). But I've felt Phil has only done that once. I remember in a 2007 Regular season game against the Jazz, when Kobe scored 30 pts in the 3rd qtr and had a total of 53 points thru the first 3 qtrs, Phil benched Kobe, just to bring him back in for like 5-6 minutes in the 4th (when he was scoreless), and the TNT crew was saying how it was not necessary for Kobe to come back into the game when they were blowing out the Jazz.

The 81 pt game against Toronto, after scoring 27 pts in the 3rd qtr (55 pts thru first 3 qtrs), the Lakeshow were ahead of the Raptors by prolly only 7 pts (aka, they were not blowing them out), so PHil kept the hot-handed Kobe in the 4th to score 28 pts (81 for the game) to finally blow out the Raps and win by 18 pts 122-104. And when Kobe came to the bench with 81, PJ endearly congratulated him. In Kobe's 61 pts @ MSG this past yr, Phil once again endearly congratulated him as Kobe approached the bench for the final applause.

Phil gave Kobe the light to shoot, shoot, and shoot some more in the 05-06 and 06-07 seasons, cuz the Lakers mired in mediocrity at the time. When Kobe won the 08 League MVP and had that press conference, Phil was at the podium praising Kobe's work ethic and his ability to be a good teammate, and once again congratulated him endearingly. Phil was very happy (it seemed when the camera was on him) when he saw both Kobe & Shaq win co-MVPs of All-Star 09 game. Phil once again endearingly congratuled the Finals MVP seconds after the Lakers won the title.

And in that hectic 2007 Summer, Phil was the one who calmed the bipolar Kobe Bryant down from the "trade me/don't trade me" charade. He defended Kobe and even dissed Jimmy Buss (one of the owner's sons) on the management decision making and stuff.

Raph12
11-15-2009, 02:05 AM
Ryan Hollins and Allen Iverson's relationship would take this without a doubt, Pop and TD are a close second though.

GoatMilk
11-15-2009, 02:08 AM
Josh Smith and Mike Woodson

RamsfanNY
11-15-2009, 02:19 AM
Duncan and Popovich.

superkegger
11-15-2009, 02:24 AM
Ryan Hollins and Allen Iverson's relationship would take this without a doubt, Pop and TD are a close second though.

I don't know why, but this just killed me. I'm still laughing. I just don't get where you would make the Ryan Hollins and AI connection, it just makes 0 sense. Oh god, i can't stop laughing.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-15-2009, 02:31 AM
Pops and Duncan have been together for 12 years.

They have been dominating since.

Confusion
11-15-2009, 02:37 AM
Gregg Popovich and Tim Duncan definitely.

Raph12
11-15-2009, 02:48 AM
I don't know why, but this just killed me. I'm still laughing. I just don't get where you would make the Ryan Hollins and AI connection, it just makes 0 sense. Oh god, i can't stop laughing.

You can keep laughing if you want... it was a jk, you know, sarcasm.

Maybe I was a bit too subtle for you... more sarcasm lol.

superkegger
11-15-2009, 02:50 AM
You can keep laughing if you want... it was a jk, you know, sarcasm.

Maybe I was a bit too subtle for you... more sarcasm lol.

No, I get the joke.

I just don't get why you'd choose Ryan Hollins and AI. That's why i couldn't stop laughing. It's just so obscure and random, and there's just absolutely no connection between the two.

_KB24_
11-15-2009, 03:00 AM
I'd have to go with Pops-Duncan. They've been the perfect compliment to each other. I love Kobe/Phil's relation now, but I gave the nod to the SPurs tandem because of the whole pre-2004 drama.

Raph12
11-15-2009, 03:14 AM
No, I get the joke.

I just don't get why you'd choose Ryan Hollins and AI. That's why i couldn't stop laughing. It's just so obscure and random, and there's just absolutely no connection between the two.

Well the fact that they had a terrible relationship (you have to read between the lines to really see it) has something to do with it...

Here's an easier one for you, AI and Ex-Coach Curry... happy?

BlondeBomber41
11-15-2009, 03:17 AM
No, I get the joke.

He meant to say Lionel Hollins, the coach of the Grizzlies.... instead he said Ryan Hollins, who is a center for the Wolves.

Raph12
11-15-2009, 03:24 AM
He meant to say Lionel Hollins, the coach of the Grizzlies.... instead he said Ryan Hollins, who is a center for the Wolves.

LMAO! I just saw that!

^^^My bad dude lol

ko8e24
11-15-2009, 03:52 AM
Bryon Scott-Chris Paul....wait uhhh....