PDA

View Full Version : Prospect Team

burgh_fan66
11-14-2009, 12:51 AM
I did this last year and I am starting to do my study of the minor league system again. So I thought I'd post my very rough version of the all prospect team. I'll admit on a happy note this team was tougher to make cuts to than last years.

Now this team is a little different than last year, I have tied players to thier position (so Alvarez is a 3rd baseman for now not 1st like last year) and I have also just listed the top pitchers I havent tried to slot them into a bullpen role (except for Moskos at closer).

Fill free to add comments as it will only help with my research.

Starters:
C: Tony Sanchez
1B: Calvin Anderson
2B: Josh Harrison
3B: Pedro Alvarez
SS: Chase D'Arnaud
LF: Jose Tabata
CF: Gorkys Hernandez
RF: Robbie Grossman

Bench:
C: Ramon Cabrera
CI: Neil Walker
MI: Argenis Diaz
OF: Starling Marte
OF: Quincy Latimore

Starting Pitchers:
SP: Tim Alderson
SP: Brad Lincoln
SP: Rudy Owens
SP: Zach Von Rosenburg
SP: Jeff Locke

Bullpen: (Really just 7 more pitching prospects)
Bryan Morris
Daniel McCutchen
Brooks Pounders
Trent Stevensons
Quinton Miller
Nathan Adcock
CL: Daniel Moskos

I will add that I tend to rate established players over new ones. So thats why Miller and Adcock are on the team say over Cain and Dodson. I know there are a lot of other pitchers who could make it but these are the ones I am going with for now. And this is essentially just prospects in the states, I don't really reasearch the VSL.

So any thoughts or comments?

sep11ie
11-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Your posts are always great! Keep up the good work my friend!

Jimmy Shine
11-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Your posts are always great! Keep up the good work my friend!

I agree, that really is a thoughtful, well presented post. I dont see Moskos being a major league Closer, but I spoke to him a few times on his blog, he seems like a very nice kid, and I hope Im wrong.

burgh_fan66
11-14-2009, 07:21 PM
I agree, that really is a thoughtful, well presented post. I dont see Moskos being a major league Closer, but I spoke to him a few times on his blog, he seems like a very nice kid, and I hope Im wrong.

I really am not sold on him either but I wanted to list a closer prospect and as of right now he is in my opinion the best the Pirates have.

AaronDeGlau
11-15-2009, 06:27 PM
i would also have pearce still and also jordy mercer

burgh_fan66
11-15-2009, 09:24 PM
i would also have pearce still and also jordy mercer

Pearce isn't a prospect anymore (to my measurements at least). But Mercer isn't far behind Diaz. Mercer probably has the better upside but I thought it was close enough that I should just go with the higher level guy. Also Cunningham, although he will probably switch positions, isn't far behind those two but he loses some value because he missed all last year.

AaronDeGlau
11-16-2009, 02:11 PM
mercer will start next yr at aa and has been compared to jj hardy, diaz is nothing more than a luis cruz and pearce said he will be doing big things this yr, but hey, our prospects are looking better every yr

VikingsRice18
11-17-2009, 10:34 PM
I hope it get better

cre0530
11-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Thinking Hernandez is a AAA caliber centerfielder takes all credibility from this post. He can barely hit in AA has no arm and still has major attitude problems.

burgh_fan66
11-19-2009, 12:30 AM
Thinking Hernandez is a AAA caliber centerfielder takes all credibility from this post. He can barely hit in AA has no arm and still has major attitude problems.

Hernandez is considered a very good prospect by many rankings. You can argue Marte over him but he is definately one of the top 4 Pirate outfiled prospects. You can have your own opinion of him but you can't really argue his placement on the team.

mercer will start next yr at aa and has been compared to jj hardy, diaz is nothing more than a luis cruz and pearce said he will be doing big things this yr, but hey, our prospects are looking better every yr

Mercer is a very quality player and if he starts out at AA and starts off well there is no doubt he will replace Diaz on my team. For now I have him just a hair behind.

cre0530
11-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Hernandez is considered a very good prospect by many rankings. You can argue Marte over him but he is definately one of the top 4 Pirate outfiled prospects. You can have your own opinion of him but you can't really argue his placement on the team.

Hernandez is only a top 4 outfield prospect in the pirates system as the rankings you must be reading are those who measure potential over production. The braves who are good at evaluating potential left him unprotected the last rule 5 draft and surprise not one team wanted him. Until mr. baseball n.h. traded our best player for him. One thing a top prospect should do is dominate at the lower levers and Gorkey has hardly done anything is AA or lower to justify his high potential ranking. Maybe move him to second base where his weak arm may not be such a liability.

Mercer is a very quality player and if he starts out at AA and starts off well there is no doubt he will replace Diaz on my team. For now I have him just a hair behind.

Mercer is one of the gems and should go through the system quickly.

AaronDeGlau
11-21-2009, 12:37 PM
im still hopeing that jim negrych can return to o8 form too

pitsports01
11-21-2009, 10:54 PM
How about this for a future lineup

1.McCutchen cf
2.Mercer ss
3.Tabata rf
4.Alvarez 1b
5.Milledge lf
6.Walker 3b
7.Sanchez c
8.LaRoche 2b
9.Pitcher

Bench
1.Grossman of
2.Cunningham if
3.Hernandez of
4.Harrison if
5.Clement c/1b/of

Rotation
1.VonRosenberg
2.Cain
3.Morton
4.Alderson
5.Lincoln

Bullpen (just more pitchers)
1.Miller
2.Meek
3.Veal
4.Morris
5.Locke
6.Moskos
7.Dodson

AaronDeGlau
11-22-2009, 07:19 PM
i like it, but i dont see walker being a starter and if we trade zach, matt, paul we would get a lot in return and that would alter this team, i also think someday that andrew will bat 3rd in the lineup

pitsports01
11-22-2009, 08:07 PM
we definately should get a pretty good return if we trade maholm, duke, and capps but i still think walker has the tools to start and people forget hes only 23 years old. also i think grossman should eventually start but i couldn't find a place for him. I also think mccutchen could bat 3rd someday but with tabata and alvarez i think they would be better suited for him to leadoff.

nickster16301
11-22-2009, 11:31 PM
we definately should get a pretty good return if we trade maholm, duke, and capps but i still think walker has the tools to start and people forget hes only 23 years old. also i think grossman should eventually start but i couldn't find a place for him. I also think mccutchen could bat 3rd someday but with tabata and alvarez i think they would be better suited for him to leadoff.

i think their plan is to groom gorkys hernadez to the leadoff spot and then have mccutchen alvarez and tabata bat 3,4,5 in that order...hopefully we get bryce harper in that mix as well if not i want them to draft a pitcher who is close to being in the majors to help solidfy their rotation in a few years

MooseWithFleas
11-24-2009, 09:12 PM
1. Pedro Alvarez, 3b
2. Jose Tabata, of
3. Tony Sanchez, c
4. Brad Lincoln, rhp
5. Chase D'Arnaud, ss/2b
6. Starling Marte, of
7. Tim Alderson, rhp
8. Zack Von Rosenberg, rhp
9. Rudy Owens, lhp
10. Gorkys Hernandez, of

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2010/269191.html (LINK!)

What does everyone think?

Jimmy Shine
11-25-2009, 10:05 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2010/269191.html (LINK!)

What does everyone think?

Well, I suppose theyre forced to put down 10 names, sort of an institutional tradition.

But hey, I thought Mike Dunne was on the road to greatness, so WTF do I know?

AaronDeGlau
11-26-2009, 04:44 PM
i think we are in a better position than we were 2 yrs ago, i like the 7 home grown guys on that list too

pittspens71
11-27-2009, 06:25 PM
if u don't get harper, then get the next big star Jameson Taillon[ a beast]

burgh_fan66
12-01-2009, 07:48 PM
1. Pedro Alvarez, 3b
2. Jose Tabata, of
3. Tony Sanchez, c
4. Brad Lincoln, rhp
5. Chase D'Arnaud, ss/2b
6. Starling Marte, of
7. Tim Alderson, rhp
8. Zack Von Rosenberg, rhp
9. Rudy Owens, lhp
10. Gorkys Hernandez, of

Not a bad list but I would put Robbie Grossman on there some where.

AaronDeGlau
12-01-2009, 07:51 PM
i like rhp matt harvey

cre0530
12-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Any publication that rates Hernandez a top 10 prospect even in the pirates organization lacks credibility. No arm, barely hits with attitude problems, yep a true Huntington signing lacks talent and ability. Just like Laroche and Moss.