PDA

View Full Version : NBA ReDraft Playoffs - Conference Finals: 1 Dallas Mavericks vs. 2 Los Angeles Lakers

Catfish1314
11-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Once or a twice year, PSD holds an NBA ReDraft. In this game played by PSD users, all the players in the NBA go into a draft pool. A lottery is held to determine the order and in 12 rounds of drafting and trading the GMs try to create the best team possible.

The Western Conference Finals features the top seeded Dallas Mavericks versus the 2nd seed Los Angeles Lakers. The Mavericks have homecourt advantage. Their respective rosters and write-ups are listed below:

Keep in mind these are not the real life teams.

Mavericks:

C: Al Horford - Ryan Hollins
PF: Dirk Nowitzki - Nick Collison - Kris Humphries
SF: Wilson Chandler - Jared Dudley
SG: Joe Johnson - Quinton Ross - Rashad McCants
PG: DJ Augustin - Chris Duhon

Lakers:

PG: Kirk Hinrich/Ronnie Price
SG: Dwayne Wade/Ricky Davis/Bobby Jackson
SF: Rashard Lewis/Rodney Carney/Devean George
PF: Glen Davis/Fabricio Oberto
C: Yao Ming/Theo Ratliff

Mavericks write-up:

On to round three, where we face up against a controversial Los Angeles Lakers team.

The Lakers have the absolute worst bench in the history of basketball and a center who wouldnt even be playing in the series if it happened because these are the 2010 playoffs and Yao Ming is out for the entire 2010 playoffs. Despite what they will try and tell you, there was nothing stated saying that injuries dont count for this redraft and since we are doing this assuming its this year, Yao Ming wouldnt be a factor. Factor in the fact that Glen Davis is their STARTING Power Forward and their backup to Davis is Fabricio Oberto and they quite possibly have the weakest PF rotation in league history, and they are in the Western Conference Finals!

Dwyane Wade is a MVP caliber player, and Rashard Lewis is a fine scoring option as well, but after that the Lakers are incredibly weak.

The PG matchup is even, with Kirk Hinrich going against DJ Augustin. Hinrich has an advantage because of his experience, but Augustin is only destined to get better while Hinrich has pretty much hit his peak at this point. In terms of production on the court these two have been very similar as well, and this is only Augustin's second season.

SG is a great matchup featuring Joe Johnson vs Dwyane Wade. Im not gonna be stupid and act like Johnson is superior to Wade but I do think this would be a pretty damn good matchup. Wade has a quickness and explosiveness edge on Johnson while Johnson has the size, strength and outside shooting edge on Wade. We saw this matchup last year in the playoffs with Johnson's Hawks eliminating Wade's Heat, and we're sure Johnson will more than hold his own once again. Joe Johnson is our #2 option while Wade is their #1 so the numbers wouldnt be up there with his, but in terms of overall impact it would be a great matchup.

SF is a matchup of a current star up against a future star. Wilson Chandler has had a rough start to the season but has all the talent needed to be a star one day. As a third option to Dirk and Joe Johnson we trust in Chandler to give us 15+ PPG and hassle Rashard Lewis non stop.

PF matchup is just disgusting with All NBA First teamer and former MVP Dirk Nowitzki matching up with career backup and fatty Glen Davis. Davis has neither the size, speed or ability to hinder Nowitzki in any way, and Dirk would absolutely destroy him. This matchup is absolutely gross, and its not like the Lakers have anyone on their bench who could come in and do any better.

C matchup is tricky, because there are gonna be some of you who ignore the fact that these are the 2010 playoffs and put Yao Ming in there. There are also gonna be some of you that think because Yao is 7'6 and Horford is 6'10 that it would be a bad matchup, but Horford is strong as hell and very good defensively and he would do a good job keeping Yao away from the basket. Most centers in the league are 6'10 - 7'0 so if your logic in this matchup is that Yao would kill Horford due to his height, then you might as well say that for any center in the league. Horford is quick and athletic and would give Yao alot of trouble when he was on offense as well I'm sure.

There are tons of intangibles in this matchup to remember.

One, who would come off their bench and spell the starters? They dont have a single bench player I would trust to play decent minutes if a starter got into foul trouble or just needed some rest. All of their starters would be playing 40+ minutes a game, which would take a toll in long series and would lead to tired play and foul trouble.

Two, if you wanna pretend Yao would be playing, who else would produce in their frontcourt? Yao is a good player but he does get in foul trouble quite often, and if he went out it would be a big hole with nobody else on the team capable of doing anything of note. Their entire bench is filled with washed up players and guys who cant get off the bench for their real teams.

Three, rebounding is key to be a good team and their team would be a horrible rebounding team. Despite being 7'6 Yao is only a average rebounder, and Glen Davis/Rashard Lewis are terrible rebounders for their size and positions. They would get pounded on the boards most of the time.

We feel we would win this series in 5, maybe 6 games for all the reasons we just gave.

Lakers write-up:

(2) Los Angeles Lakers vs. (1) Dallas Mavericks

Point Guard
Kirk Hinrich (Lakers) vs. DJ Augustine (Mavericks)
Kirk Hinrich is bigger, stronger, a better defender, and better outside shooter, and much more experienced. Kirk wins this matchup in every single facet of the game. No need to elaborate.
Advantage: Lakers

Shooting Guard
Dwayne Wade (Lakers) vs. Joe Johnson (Mavericks)
Joe Johnson is an extremely high quality player and an All-Star. He will actually give Wade some trouble in this series because of his size, and he is a good defender. BUT, Wade will still win this match-up solely because his skill set is better, and is too quick for Joe Joe.

Small Forward
Rashard Lewis (Lakers) vs. Wilson Chandler (Mavericks)
Wilson Chandler is a solid player yes, but he is a shooting guard.. and with him being too small to play the 3, and Rashard being a bit big to play the 3, Rashard completely overpowers him. Rashard may have some issues with his quickness on defense, giving Chandler a slight edge there, but Rashard's offensive prowess overpowers Chandlers.

Power Forward
Glen Davis (Lakers) vs. Dirk Nowitzki (Mavericks)
Not really much to say here... Though Davis is a quality defender and rebounder and jump shooter, Dirk will dominate this matchup. Davis will be able to shoot the 20 footer to keep Dirk out of the middle on defense.
Advantage: Mavericks

Center
Yao Ming (Lakers) vs. Al Horford (Mavericks)
Yao will absolutely devour Horford, who is too small to be a center anyways. Yao will demolish him on offense, AND defense giving the Lakers the clear edge here.

This will be a very hard fought series, but the Lakers should come out victorious.
Good luck to the Mavericks, lets have a good series!!

theimortalone
11-13-2009, 07:18 PM
I would say the Mavs in 7.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Lakers in 6

VCaintdead17
11-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Mavssssss!

Lakerfrk
11-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Augustine and Hinrich are even?!?! Are you kidding me..

you're right, Augustine is only going to get better, and Hinrich has hit his peak... but RIGHT NOW.... Hinrich is WORLDS better.... wow.

BlondeBomber41
11-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Augustine and Hinrich are even?!?! Are you kidding me..

you're right, Augustine is only going to get better, and Hinrich has hit his peak... but RIGHT NOW.... Hinrich is WORLDS better.... wow.

Says who? The production on the court certainly doesnt indicate that Hinrich is any better than Augustin. Hinrich plays 6 more minutes a game and averages .5 PPG more and 1 more assist a game while shooting a worst percentage from the field, three and the free throw line.

randomness
11-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Mavs win in 7

dbroncs-abraves
11-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Mavs win

KnicksorBust
11-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Lakers have a better PG, SG, SF, and Center. Neither bench is good enough to make a difference. I'm going Lakers.

BlondeBomber41
11-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Lakers have a better PG, SG, SF, and Center. Neither bench is good enough to make a difference. I'm going Lakers.

Thats such a simplistic way of looking at it, and our bench is much better than theirs. We actually have guys who can come in and give good quality minutes off the bench.

JNA17
11-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Thats such a simplistic way of looking at it, and our bench is much better than theirs. We actually have guys who can come in and give good quality minutes off the bench.

ronnie price over chris duhan
quinton ross over ricky davis
Jared Dudley over Rodney Carney
Fabricio Oberto over nick collison
Ryan Hollins over Theo Ratliff

Your bench is better but not that much

Gambeezy
11-14-2009, 12:03 AM

Ronnie Price over Chris Duhon
Quinton Ross over Ricky Davis
Nick Collison over Fabricio Oberto

Fixed

Can't believe I'm voting against Wade, but Dirk may go for 40 in some of these games. Horford is 6th in Blocks so far this season. If Glen tried to shoot mid-range, Dirk's length would give him trouble and Horford would make things difficult for him in the paint if he attempted to drive. You never know what you're going to get with Lewis, but the Mavs bench is better so I think it evens the playing field.

Mavs take this in 7. Great job by both GM's. Fantastic teams. It really could go either way.

BlondeBomber41
11-14-2009, 12:09 AM

Ronnie Price is not better than Chris Duhon, and Oberto is not better than Collison. You cant be serious...

Kakaroach
11-14-2009, 12:13 AM
Both teams are great, big ups to both GMs'.

I went with the Mavs, but man Hinrich is a ton better than Augustin. Kirk would play great against Augustin, so the Lakers back-court wins. Both benches stink and Glen Davis starting just kills the Lakers. Yao and Horford is always a fun match-up to watch, and Rashard is better than Wilson Chandler. Tough choice, Mavs in 7.

jimbobjarree
11-14-2009, 12:58 AM
Ronnie Price is not better than Chris Duhon, and Oberto is not better than Collison. You cant be serious...

haha wow. You've said some awful things throughout these playoffs, but that takes the biscuit. I wasnt going to vote for either cus I hate both teams equally, but saying Duhon is better than Price has earnt the Lakers a vote. Go Lakers!

BlondeBomber41
11-14-2009, 01:02 AM
haha wow. You've said some awful things throughout these playoffs, but that takes the biscuit. I wasnt going to vote for either cus I hate you both equally, but saying Duhon is better than Price has earnt the Lakers a vote. Go Lakers!

Dude I know you are the biggest Jazz homer ever and you think guys like Kosta Koufos are great players but Ronnie Price is a freakin scrub. He plays 12 minutes a game and averages 3 points, he is lucky to even be on a team. Chris Duhon on the other hand is a starting PG, and even though he obviously isnt a great starting PG or anything he is still much more capable than Ronnie Price.

jimbobjarree
11-14-2009, 01:14 AM
haha wow, cus Duhon starts on the Knicks makes him a good player. Wow dude, seriously wow. Just at least watch Price before making your horrid assumption. Price's hustle alone>Duhon let alone his actual ability. Every Knicks fan hates Duhon, while every Jazz fan loves Price, that should tell you something. Price is one of our only players to give 110% a night, its not about being about a jazz homer, its about actually watching the Jazz. Ronnie Price for god. And pity to you, you've usually had some knowledge behind your arguments and had my respect, but you've dropped wayyy down after bad mouthing the P.

BlondeBomber41
11-14-2009, 01:27 AM
haha wow, cus Duhon starts on the Knicks makes him a good player. Wow dude, seriously wow. Just at least watch Price before making your horrid assumption. Price's hustle alone>Duhon let alone his actual ability. Every Knicks fan hates Duhon, while every Jazz fan loves Price, that should tell you something. Price is one of our only players to give 110% a night, its not about being about a jazz homer, its about actually watching the Jazz. Ronnie Price for god. And pity to you, you've usually had some knowledge behind your arguments and had my respect, but you've dropped wayyy down after bad mouthing the P.

Ronnie Price has done nothing in the NBA. His career high in points is 16, his career high in assists is 8, and he averages 10 minutes a game for his career. He is a nobody.

Knicks fans hate Duhon because he is their starting PG and they dont wanna suck, but as a player and especially as a backup he is much better than Ronnie Price. When Price drops some 30 point games and some 20+ assists games in his career and shows he can produce at all you let me know....

jimbobjarree
11-14-2009, 01:41 AM
fair enough, your all about the stats as you dont actually watch the Jazz as I said. Price does a hell of a lot more than his stats suggest. He brings energy off the bench, he brings hustle, he actually Ds up, he brings toughness and he makes plays that get Jazz fans off their seats like put back dunks and alley oop dunks.

As I said before, actually watch the Jazz before judging Price. Dujon does none of those things, he turns up expecting to get his points, he gets them at a orrible percentage and he goes home satisfied with the loss and his stats.

I know you cant be expected to watch all your players as a GM, but this just proves you cant judge a player on his stats. Again, I;ve lost big respect for you on this comment, and the continuation of you actually backing up your flawed opinion just for the sake of winning a match up :pity:.

BlondeBomber41
11-14-2009, 01:56 AM
fair enough, your all about the stats as you dont actually watch the Jazz as I said. Price does a hell of a lot more than his stats suggest. He brings energy off the bench, he brings hustle, he actually Ds up, he brings toughness and he makes plays that get Jazz fans off their seats like put back dunks and alley oop dunks.

As I said before, actually watch the Jazz before judging Price. Dujon does none of those things, he turns up expecting to get his points, he gets them at a orrible percentage and he goes home satisfied with the loss and his stats.

I know you cant be expected to watch all your players as a GM, but this just proves you cant judge a player on his stats. Again, I;ve lost big respect for you on this comment, and the continuation of you actually backing up your flawed opinion just for the sake of winning a match up :pity:.

Horrible percentages? You say this when you are defending a guy shooting 35% and 22% from three? Price is a horrible shooter. Price has done NOTHING in the NBA. You sound very stupid trying to argue that some hustle makes him better than Chris Duhon.

Mavrix
11-14-2009, 02:14 AM
Mavs in 6

Kakaroach
11-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Whoa whoa whoa Price is tons better than Duhon hands down. Duhon's stats are inflated and Knicks fans hate him cuz he doesn't play any defense AT ALL. Price gives it his all on both side of the court, and aside from that, who actually thinks Augustin is better than Kirk? I voted for the Mavs cuz they have the better team, but any more ridiculous claims and you'll lose a lot of voters.

KnicksorBust
11-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Horrible percentages? You say this when you are defending a guy shooting 35% and 22% from three? Price is a horrible shooter. Price has done NOTHING in the NBA. You sound very stupid trying to argue that some hustle makes him better than Chris Duhon.

Duhon is shooting 22% FROM THE FIELD. He plays 33 minutes as the starter and can't even score more than 7ppg. He gets 3-4 assists just from passing the ball on the perimeter and really only creates 2-3 easy shots per game. His defense is absolutely pathetic and that's if he even gets back on D which he doesn't always do because he's lazy and even admitted it about 3-4 games ago that he wasn't playing D. He has an absolutely negative impact on the game. There is no way any player in the league could play PG worse than Chris Duhon right now. You can't even imagine how bad it is and Mike D still plays him. It's unreal.

Gambeezy
11-14-2009, 01:39 PM
I understand everyone's argument for Price over Duhon. I felt the same way. Either way you slice it though, the Mavs 2 thru 5 off the bench are still better than the Lakers. I don't remember the last time 5 starters and no bench (Lakers) won a championship.

KnicksorBust
11-14-2009, 01:55 PM
I understand everyone's argument for Price over Duhon. I felt the same way. Either way you slice it though, the Mavs 2 thru 5 off the bench are still better than the Lakers. I don't remember the last time 5 starters and no bench (Lakers) won a championship.

True but this is only the WCF and when was the last time a playoff team had better players at 4 of the 5 starting positions and lost?

Hinrich > DJ
Wade > Joe
Shard > Chandler
Big Baby < Dirk
Yao > Horford

Mavrix
11-14-2009, 02:16 PM
True but this is only the WCF and when was the last time a playoff team had better players at 4 of the 5 starting positions and lost?

Hinrich > DJ
Wade > Joe
Shard > Chandler
Big Baby < Dirk
Yao > Horford

That may be true but Lakers only have one go to guy in Wade (Yao is hurt) where as the Mavs have 2 super stars that can take over at any point in Dirk and Johnson. It's stupid to compare head to head positions and not factor in exactly how much better Dirk is than Big Baby.

Who's better the Cavs or the Wizards?

PG: Mo Williams < Arenas
SG: Anthony Parker < Miller
SF: Lebron > Butler
PF: Varajao < Jamison
C: Shaq = Haywood

Cavs only have the advantage at SF but Cavs are a MUCH better team because Lebron is WAY better than Butler

Just like Nowitzki is WAY better than Glen Davis.

Gambeezy
11-14-2009, 02:23 PM
@KnicksorBust I understand your argument, but for me it isn't just about a straight up player comparison. I like to look at what the players bring to the table in every area. Horford will out hustle Yao. If you compare them based on history, Yao wins this match-up. But, as i said before, Horford is 6th in the NBA in blocks and averaging a double-double while Yao is currently an injured slug. Dirk will molest Davis. I personally like Nick Collison better than Davis to be honest. With Davis as the Lakers weak link in the starting line-up, they really needed their best bench player to be a PF. Davis will struggle at both ends b/c of the Mavs defense in the paint and Dirk's ability to shoot from anywhere. You have to consider how much the talent gap between Davis and Dirk will affect the outcome of the series. IMO it is great.

With Wade on the team and Yao in the paint, Rashard is limited to a spot-up shooter role. If his shot is on, Lakers win, if it's off then Rashard won't produce more than Wilson. Wade and JJ is a nice match-up. JJ is a lights-out shooter and so is Wade when he's feeling it. Horford will contest Wade's drives and JJ is effective at shooting in traffic as well. No one can stop Wade when he's on fire. Hinrich has good D and can hit the 3 when he's on. DJ is underrated imo and I've liked him since college.

As I said before, this series is a tough call. Either team could take it. When taking into consideration the Mavs much superior bench and home-court advantage, I give the Mavs the edge in a 7 game nail-biter. It's a TEAM sport, and a basketball team doesn't consist of just 5 players.

KnicksorBust
11-14-2009, 02:45 PM
That may be true but Lakers only have one go to guy in Wade (Yao is hurt) where as the Mavs have 2 super stars that can take over at any point in Dirk and Johnson. It's stupid to compare head to head positions and not factor in exactly how much better Dirk is than Big Baby.

Who's better the Cavs or the Wizards?

PG: Mo Williams < Arenas
SG: Anthony Parker < Miller
SF: Lebron > Butler
PF: Varajao < Jamison
C: Shaq = Haywood

Cavs only have the advantage at SF but Cavs are a MUCH better team because Lebron is WAY better than Butler

Just like Nowitzki is WAY better than Glen Davis.

(Resisting the urge to get into Mo Williams vs. Arenas debate ... ahhhh ... not again ... ahhhh ... it's not worth it ... ahhhh ... Okay I'm better.)

@KnicksorBust I understand your argument, but for me it isn't just about a straight up player comparison. I like to look at what the players bring to the table in every area. Horford will out hustle Yao. If you compare them based on history, Yao wins this match-up. But, as i said before, Horford is 6th in the NBA in blocks and averaging a double-double while Yao is currently an injured slug. Dirk will molest Davis. I personally like Nick Collison better than Davis to be honest. With Davis as the Lakers weak link in the starting line-up, they really needed their best bench player to be a PF. Davis will struggle at both ends b/c of the Mavs defense in the paint and Dirk's ability to shoot from anywhere. You have to consider how much the talent gap between Davis and Dirk will affect the outcome of the series. IMO it is great.

With Wade on the team and Yao in the paint, Rashard is limited to a spot-up shooter role. If his shot is on, Lakers win, if it's off then Rashard won't produce more than Wilson. Wade and JJ is a nice match-up. JJ is a lights-out shooter and so is Wade when he's feeling it. Horford will contest Wade's drives and JJ is effective at shooting in traffic as well. No one can stop Wade when he's on fire. Hinrich has good D and can hit the 3 when he's on. DJ is underrated imo and I've liked him since college.

As I said before, this series is a tough call. Either team could take it. When taking into consideration the Mavs much superior bench and home-court advantage, I give the Mavs the edge in a 7 game nail-biter. It's a TEAM sport, and a basketball team doesn't consist of just 5 players.

I agree completely with both of you that basketball is a team game I just actually think this Lakers team fits well together. Hinrich is a great PG to have with a guy like Wade. This is why there were Hinrich to the Blazers rumors because he can play off the ball for a superstar, and plays good D. It's just tough for me when I see DJ Augustin and Chandler who are both underperforming significantly for the Mavs and then Glen Davis is the only weakness in the Lakers starting 5. The same Glen "Big Baby" Davis who I watched put up about 16-6 in the playoffs last year and looked like he was becoming a solid pro. Call me crazy but I like his game. He would get embarassed by Dirk for sure I just don't know if that'd be enough to make up the other positions. I can see why people think Mavericks here I just love Wade and I think with Yao and Rashard Lewis it'd be a great Big 3.

Gambeezy
11-14-2009, 03:05 PM
(Resisting the urge to get into Mo Williams vs. Arenas debate ... ahhhh ... not again ... ahhhh ... it's not worth it ... ahhhh ... Okay I'm better.)

I agree completely with both of you that basketball is a team game I just actually think this Lakers team fits well together. Hinrich is a great PG to have with a guy like Wade. This is why there were Hinrich to the Blazers rumors because he can play off the ball for a superstar, and plays good D. It's just tough for me when I see DJ Augustin and Chandler who are both underperforming significantly for the Mavs and then Glen Davis is the only weakness in the Lakers starting 5. The same Glen "Big Baby" Davis who I watched put up about 16-6 in the playoffs last year and looked like he was becoming a solid pro. Call me crazy but I like his game. He would get embarassed by Dirk for sure I just don't know if that'd be enough to make up the other positions. I can see why people think Mavericks here I just love Wade and I think with Yao and Rashard Lewis it'd be a great Big 3.

Yep I agree with you there and I was laughing out loud to your comment about Mo vs. Arenas and having to restrain yourself from fighting that war again.

Catfish1314
11-14-2009, 03:29 PM
I would have assumed, given Shard's length and footspeed, the Lakers would pit him against Dirk at least some of the time. But their write-up doesn't indicate anything of the sort and watching Glen Davis or Oberto trying to chase Dirk around on the perimter or contest his silky jumpshot would be fun to watch. I think that's the difference in this match-up.

Wade is clearly better than Johnson and while Wade is generally at his best in the postseason, JJ was kind of crappy in last year's playoffs. None the less, he was better against Miami than he was against Cleveland and he still presents more than just a formidable match-up for Wade.

Wilson Chandler was NY's best player last season on a team where he was the focal point of the defense. It would be interesting to see how he does playing off guys like Nowitzki and Johnson in place of David Lee and Nate Robinson.

Assuming Yao would actually play in this series, Horford wouldn't be enough to hinder him too much. Horford's a pretty mobile big and has shown he's comfortable using his quickness defending bigger players. So the Mavs would have that going for them in this series.

Both have excellent teams but I think the Mavs superior depth, huge mismatch in the frontcourt with Dirk vs. Davis/Oberto, and homecourt advantage gives them the series in 6 or 7.

Lakerfrk
11-16-2009, 02:22 AM
Weeeell I gave it a good run.. congrats to the Mavericks!!!