PDA

View Full Version : Was the "worst draft in 20 years" claim bogus?

Turtle55
11-12-2009, 03:50 PM
All we heard before the draft was that it was the worst draft in at least twenty years. Well we are less than a month in and there are several players that are contributing at a high level to their teams. That doesn't even include Griffin who most of us assume will be at least solid. Evans, Jennings, Flynn, Curry, and Derozen have all already locked in starting jobs are and contributing at a high level. Even some non lottery picks are producing solid minutes for their teams Lawson, Gibson, Blair, Budinger, etc... I'm sure I'm leaving people out so feel free to include them in your post. But I ask how would you rate this year's draft so far? It's early but I got tired of hearing all the negativity going into this draft so glad to see them playing well.

bigsams50
11-12-2009, 03:59 PM
In the 2 games hansbroughs played he's averaged 12 and 6, not great but solid.

Turtle55
11-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Definitely better than projected.

abe_froman
11-12-2009, 04:14 PM
All we heard before the draft was that it was the worst draft in at least twenty years. Well we are less than a month in and there are several players that are contributing at a high level to their teams. That doesn't even include Griffin who most of us assume will be at least solid. Evans, Jennings, Flynn, Curry, and Derozen have all already locked in starting jobs are and contributing at a high level. Even some non lottery picks are producing solid minutes for their teams Lawson, Gibson, Blair, Budinger, etc... I'm sure I'm leaving people out so feel free to include them in your post. But I ask how would you rate this year's draft so far? It's early but I got tired of hearing all the negativity going into this draft so glad to see them playing well.

you mean 2000? cuz no one claimed it was worse than 2000

but yeah,the draft was better than everyone expected

ChiMaverick
11-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Brandon Jennings has surprised me with his play, Curry is solid, from my local team standpoint Taj Gibson seems to be a solid pick too.

Turtle55
11-12-2009, 04:17 PM
you mean 2000? cuz no one claimed it was worse than 2000

but yeah,the draft was better than everyone expected

I don't know about that. I mean everyone I heard talk about this draft acted like it was nothing but a bunch of D leaguers and Blake Griffin. But either way the primary point still remains. And I agree 2000 was abysmal.

Raph12
11-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Can't be any worse than 2000 IMO.

PanicAttack
11-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Honestly I did think this draft was that good either but there were a few surprises like Toney Douglas for the Knicks and with players like Brandon Jennings making a huge impact. There is potential in this draft class and is not the worst by far. I voted too early to tell because you just never know. Even the crappiest players have great game from time to time.

JDink24
11-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Jrue Holiday single handedly makes this an elite draft class.

MJ-BULLS
11-13-2009, 02:33 PM
i remember saying that this draft can have some surprises and sleepers, a little to early to tell but alot of players have been playing real well for their teams

NiTEFuRY
11-13-2009, 02:40 PM
I think the draft class may have been "weaker" at the top but it seems to be stronger with later picks than usual.

Overall it by no means is the weakest in 20 years.

Toenail Clipper
11-13-2009, 02:43 PM
This draft was overshadowed by the previous draft (OJ Mayo, Derrick Rose, Brook Lopez, Kevin Love, Eric Gordon, Etc.) Also, no one was really "spectacular" before coming to NBA besides Griffin. Brandon Jennings for ROY :D

topdog
11-13-2009, 03:06 PM
I always thought that claim was bogus. It was supposedly a "weak" draft but it was strong for PGs and the real thing was not that there weren't great players but that it was so difficult to pick a definite order of rank - Holiday is a lotto pick to one person and a 20 pick for someone else.

Bill1810
11-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Brandon Jennings is the only rookie who has truly stood out. Part of that is because he played a year in the pros over in Italy.

ManRam
11-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Yeah...let's judge this draft class after they are less than 10 games into their careers.

Sounds good to me.

td0tsfinest
11-13-2009, 03:43 PM
I think this class is very underrated.
There's a lot of good rookies; obviously Blake Griffin is one. But Brandon Jennings and Tyreke Evans are having solid campaigns. Demar DeRozan and Stephen Curry have the potential of being very good players in this league.

This draft is no where near the horrible 2000 draft. That was disgusting.

WSU Tony
11-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Brandon Jennings is the only rookie who has truly stood out. Part of that is because he played a year in the pros over in Italy.

People say Rubio isn't a good recruit for the same argument... I agree with you, playing professional ball > playing college ball.

KnicksorBust
11-13-2009, 03:57 PM
I say it is weak. Just because it's not as bad as 2000 doesn't mean it isn't. So far:
The #1 is injured.
The #2 is a dud and injured.
The #3 is underwhelming.
The #4 is playin very well on both ends and really only needs to improve his shooting to take a big step in year 1.
The #5 is in another country.

That's not very impressive resume for the top 5. Only Jennings and Evans look like potential stars. Flynn, Derozan, Curry are all playing various levels of fine to okay and Jordan Hill barely plays. Not exactly a monster top 10.

I think in time this post that I'm making may look a little ridiculous (especially after Griffin comes back), but I don't think we can say it's a good draft class from what we've seen at this point.

Turtle55
11-13-2009, 04:04 PM
I agree that this isn't going to go down as a great class. I was just so annoyed with all of the "weakest draft" comments leading up to the draft that I'm happy to see so many guys playing well. 2007 was supposed to be the greatest draft in years but 2008 was clearly better. They are so confident with their pre draft forecasting but they're just not that accurate.

AI4MVP
11-13-2009, 04:43 PM
i think the draft has the potential to have four SUPERSTAR franchise players: Brandon Jennings, Tyreke Evans, Blake Griffin, Ricky Rubio(even tho hes not playing right now i guess hes still a part of the draft class)

Jonny Flynn, Stephen Curry, James Harden, Ty Lawson will alll be borderline all-stars. players that arent neccesarily all star locks,but theyll get a couple nods in there careers.

Very solid players that could play a huge role on here teams should be Geral Henderson and Tyler Hansbrough

the only huuuge question marks i have from the draft are players that could either become superstars, or becomerole players: DeMar Derozan, Earl CLark, Terrence Williams. All have all star talent, its just a matter of whether they could put it together. but i really really think DeMar Derozan can be a superstar inthis league

the biggest question mark possible is hasheem thabeet. we just dont know. noone really knows. he could turn out to be desegana diop in a couple years, or with a couple years of hard work he can turn out to be andrew bynum. noone knows

the only guy i dont see that bright of a future for is jordan hill. i think at best hell be a serviceable back up. a type of player that when its the second half of the season and title contenders are trying to get better, jordan hill will be a free agent and theyll be like "hey..jordan hill is available. should we pick em up? i guess he could help off the bench with injuries..."

in the end, knicks wont pik up his rookie option and hell be outa new york fast anyways