PDA

View Full Version : Worst baseball myth on the internet

fanofclendennon
11-12-2009, 03:22 PM
From the "Official Lou Gehrig Website":

In early 1925, the Yankees offered to trade Gehrig to the Boston Red Sox for first baseman Phil Todt to repay Boston for the blockbuster Babe Ruth trade a few years earlier. The Red Sox turned the Yankees down.

This would be amazing if it were true. Imagine, not only did the Red Sox make one unforgiveable blunder in 1920 by selling Babe Ruth to the Yankees but then they turned down a golden opportunity to acquire Gehrig which would have made everything all right.

A few problems here though. One, the Yankees would NEVER feel they would have to repay back the Red Sox for the Babe Ruth deal. Two, Ruth wasn't traded, he was sold! Three, while this myth appears all over the web, there isn't one reference quoting a source, a newspaper report, or even the recollection of a player, manager, GM, or owner.

No, it just has this one line, sometimes going as far as comparing the careers that two players went on to have.

I've tried many times to contact the Lou Gehrig Website on this but my questions have been ignored.

There have been two extensive biographies written on Gehrig, "The Luckiest Man: The Life and Death of Lou Gehrig," and "Iron Horse: Lou Gehrig in his Time." Neither book so much as mentions the name Phil Todt. On the contrary, any book on another Yankee slugger, Yogi Berra, goes into great detail about how Yogi was passed up by the St Louis Cardinals.

How can one go about setting the record straight, especially with such a well-respected authority as "The Official Lou Gehrig Website?"

Or maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps sources on this do exist somewhere even though they're nowhere to be found on the web or in two major biographies? Just wondering.

misterd
11-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Other than the fact that you shouldn't speculate on the feelings of Yankee executives who died decades ago, you have effectively shown that there isn't much evidence to support the claim. Not quite the same as disproving it, mind you, but certainly reason to treat it with skepticism.

fanofclendennon
11-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Yep, it's very difficult to disprove anything that supposedly happened about 85 years ago. It might not be so annoying if I had heard something about it when I first started reasding up on baseball some 35-40 years ago. Instead, it seemed to pop up magically on the internet sometime within the last 10 years.

The Schmooze
11-12-2009, 04:04 PM
I thought the worst myth on the internet was that the Mets will be paying Bobby Bonilla from 2011 to 2035

.....then I found out it was true! :speechless:

MooseWithFleas
11-12-2009, 05:32 PM
I thought the worst myth on the internet was that the Mets will be paying Bobby Bonilla from 2011 to 2035

Holy ****!!! Thank you for pointing this out to me, this made me laugh pretty good :).

Now the next time the Phils make a bad FO decision, I can rebut the Mets ridiculing :D

DodgersFanFor23
11-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Holy ****!!! Thank you for pointing this out to me, this made me laugh pretty good :).

Now the next time the Phils make a bad FO decision, I can rebut the Mets ridiculing :D

2035 is a pretty long time away.
You'll have plenty of years to use it.

infernoscurse
11-12-2009, 08:07 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0812/history.dec2/images/METS_BON.jpg

WSU Tony
11-13-2009, 03:46 PM
The Yankees bought Ruth? huh. Old habits die hard. :)

donnie23
11-13-2009, 03:49 PM
The Yankees bought Ruth? huh. Old habits die hard. :)

The Senators bought Harmon Kilebrew too! There wasn't a draft until 1965 all players were "bought" before then.

The Schmooze
11-13-2009, 03:53 PM

Awwww come on hahaha. At least give us a little time to recover from these past few years first :p

EricU812
11-13-2009, 04:07 PM

Ok I had to look this up to find out if it was true or not, and I have to admit it has made me laugh for a good 5 - 10 minutes straight. Also, I'll have to thank you because I'm going to pretend that I already knew this at the bar tonight.

I seriously will find any possible way to bring up the name "Bobby Bonilla" and then hit my buddies with a "Did you know that..." and they will doubt me...then I will bet drinks....then I win.

So seriously...thanks.

Ron!n
11-13-2009, 04:19 PM
When the New York Mets placed Bonilla on unconditional waivers in 2000, they agreed to pay out the remainder of his contract by deferring the remaining $5.9 million. Instead of paying him upfront for that money they came to an agreement where the Mets would pay him 25 equal payments of $1,193,248.20 every July 1 from 2011 until 2035. He spent the 2000 season playing for the Atlanta Braves.

Seriously?? If thats true then he ****ed over the Mets pretty bad.

Instead of 5 Million straight he gets 27 Million?

infernoscurse
11-13-2009, 04:31 PM
the rumor goes that steve phillips made a sexual pass at bobby bonilla so instead of bobo bonilla going public taking the mets and phillips to court they settled behind door with that agreement

evidence :

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/667/bonilla.jpg

The Schmooze
11-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Ok I had to look this up to find out if it was true or not, and I have to admit it has made me laugh for a good 5 - 10 minutes straight. Also, I'll have to thank you because I'm going to pretend that I already knew this at the bar tonight.

I seriously will find any possible way to bring up the name "Bobby Bonilla" and then hit my buddies with a "Did you know that..." and they will doubt me...then I will bet drinks....then I win.

So seriously...thanks.

...and with that ladies and gentlemen, the Mets invented what would later become the state lottery's "Win For Life" game...and all Bobby Bo had to do was just drag himself to the plate and make sure he didnt take the bat off his shoulder

I'd definitely use it. Hopefully it works for you.

Just be glad youre drinking to have fun, not drowning the sorrows of being a Mets fan! :cry:

2009mvp
11-13-2009, 04:38 PM
But:

http://elifrombrooklyn.blogspot.com/2009/08/bobby-bonilla-on-payroll.html
(Not much of a source, I know)

It is actually correct, and a horrible deal...for Bonilla. Ahh the power of compounded interest. The way it works, the Mets set aside $6 million in 2000 @ a rate of 12% per year. They are not allowed to withdraw any funds until year 11, in which they can withdraw $1,200,000 per year for 25 years. After the 25 years, and after paying off Bonilla, the Mets will have...drum roll please....$138 million. So they took the $6 million he was supposed to receive and invested it themselves and made $132 million for themselves on it. They also have a similar deal with Bret Saberhagen. Now here comes the problem with this deal and others. Madoff is the one that was guaranteeing them the 12%. So the Mets are now going to be paying the players out of their pockets, with new 2011 dollars, not 2000 compounded dollars, and on top of that, never receiving the $138 million lump sum. Much of the speculated $700 million the Mets lost was not what they lost out of pocket, but what was supposed to be there after this great compounded rate.

Even when they make what seems like a smart move it ends up biting them in the ***.

WSU Tony
11-13-2009, 04:51 PM
The Senators bought Harmon Kilebrew too! There wasn't a draft until 1965 all players were "bought" before then.

That makes one. How about you? :hide:

This doesn't confirm or deny ANY rumor. Seriously.

Ron!n
11-13-2009, 05:29 PM
But:

http://elifrombrooklyn.blogspot.com/2009/08/bobby-bonilla-on-payroll.html
(Not much of a source, I know)

Even when they make what seems like a smart move it ends up biting them in the ***.
:laugh:
Makes the story even better.