PDA

View Full Version : Does your team miss its defector

Chronz
11-12-2009, 02:12 PM
In other words, is your team taking the brunt of the defection. Is your team missing out or has it found a proper replacement.

Any fan of a team whos player had left them, how are you guys fairing and how do you think things would be right now had they stuck around instead.

How is your teams offense/defense doing vs last years version

king4day
11-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Cool thread idea.

While it's a few seasons removed, I think the Suns really missed Joe Johnson after he left. Diaw did well for us, but it's clear we needed JJ's game to maybe move to the next level.

Toenail Clipper
11-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Elton Brand is irreplaceable!

MakaSizzle
11-12-2009, 02:26 PM
We miss MJ

what54!?
11-12-2009, 02:37 PM
the heat still have wade so no. But if you count shaq not right now since he's at this point in his career

Chronz
11-12-2009, 02:38 PM
You guys are talking about players like 3 years ago, I mean more as in the guy who left you last year via FA or Trade

theuuord
11-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Our offense has obviously really suffered with the losses of Carter and Anderson, but our defense is actually a good solid notch better so far this year. Of course, it's early and the Nets just suck in general, but I think it's worth noting that the Nets actually have the 15th-ranked defense in the league early on when they were 24th last year. To me, this signifies Brook's development as a big man, as well as Boone (an upgrade defensively over Yi, but that's not saying much) getting bigger minutes with Yi injured. Also T-Will playing big minutes, who was lauded for not only his dunks but his defensive ability coming out of Louisville, has helped our defense some.

JasonJohnHorn
11-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Cool thread idea.

While it's a few seasons removed, I think the Suns really missed Joe Johnson after he left. Diaw did well for us, but it's clear we needed JJ's game to maybe move to the next level.

As a fan who likes to see NAsh do well, I gotta say the Suns must miss more than Joe Johnson. How about QR, and Shawn Marion, and Bell and Diaw and even Kurt Thomas for that matter. Had the Suns been willing to spend the cash, they'd have the best team in the league right now, but they've let so many great players, and role players go, its just got to be heart breaking for Suns fans.

I follow a couple teams and I'm more a fan of the game than a given team, but I gotta say I was getting exciting for the Raptors during McGrady's last season, and when he left, it didn't kill the team, but it stopped them from entering the elite. I know some fans may laugh at that, but McGrady's first year in Orlando, Carter blew up and proved to be a great clutch player, the Raptors pushed their way to the conference semis and pushed the 76ers to the last second of game 7. If we'd had McGrady and Carter sharing SF/SG, I have no doubt the Raptors would have been in the finals that year and with Antonio Davis, Charles Oakley, Jerome Willams and Keon Clark in the front court that team would have had the bodies to slow down Shaq and two all stars in Carter and McGrady that Kobe would have had to chase around. I've always wished I could have seen how the Raptors would have progressed if McGrady and stayed and we'd had a Carter/McGrady duo in Toronto.

JasonJohnHorn
11-12-2009, 02:44 PM
We miss MJ

lol

and the Warriors miss Wilt Chamberlain ;-)

Chronz
11-12-2009, 02:45 PM
LOL ok if you got a decent story like JJH did, decade old defections are fine

Gators123
11-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Well last year we lost Sheed and McDyess, everybody thought our defense would be horrible. But our Defense is doing very well actually. IIRC we are #2 in opp. FG%. I guess we can thank Ben Wallace for coming back!

Toenail Clipper
11-12-2009, 02:48 PM
You guys are talking about players like 3 years ago, I mean more as in the guy who left you last year via FA or Trade

Zach Randolph.
Clippers could have traded Marcus Camby instead.

Gibby23
11-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Zach Randolph.
Clippers could have traded Marcus Camby instead.

Why trade Camby? Zach has 2 years left on his contract and Camby is in his last year. they are getting rid of the big contracts and Zach had to go. They might be able to get a good player for Camby's contract by the deadline.

bigsams50
11-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Emeka Okafor. We desperately miss his offense.

Turtle55
11-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Ben Gordon, not really. I mean we're not as good on offense but that will improve. Our defense is substantially better this year. The continued improvement of Noah, Rose getting back to form, and Salmons ceasing to suck will fix the offense. Assuming those happen. Not saying we're better because Gordon's gone but we're not really going to miss him much.

amoore87
11-12-2009, 03:53 PM
as a 6ers fan..he can be replaced lol..but i still like him

amoore87
11-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Elton Brand is irreplaceable!

as a 6ers fan he CAN be replaced..but i still like him lol

Turtle55
11-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Yeah, he should be replaced now. With Speights.

JasonJohnHorn
11-12-2009, 04:34 PM
LOL ok if you got a decent story like JJH did, decade old defections are fine

Thanks Chronz ;)

C_Mund
11-12-2009, 05:04 PM
I still think the raps looked good with marion last year. I'm really happy with how Turk's been playing, but let's be honest, he still doesn't fill all the gaps. We need defense and rebounding, which the Matrix gave us in spades for the last couple months of the season.

ko8e24
11-12-2009, 05:18 PM
We miss Smush Parker

IndyRealist
11-12-2009, 06:18 PM
The Pacers definitely miss Jarret Jack. The team has had so many problems getting into the offense with TJ Ford running the point exclusively. Earl Watson is his replacement and has been instrumental in the team's 3 game win streak, though. Now that he's found his niche (and Ford's down with back spasms) I think the Pacers are starting to cope.

olrales
11-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Darius Miles contrat has hurt a little bit on this summer free agency while Reaf leave was way welcomed. The Miller signing is starting to pay right now. Oden workout is proving to be great for his playing this year...for now, I'd say we're a bit better than last year

VCaintdead17
11-12-2009, 06:47 PM
mehh, Dahntay Jones has stepped up HUGE this year. I'm not missing Daniels or Jack too much.

Raph12
11-12-2009, 06:51 PM
mehh, Dahntay Jones has stepped up HUGE this year. I'm not missing Daniels or Jack too much.

Maybe not seperately, but if I had to giveup Jack Daniels, it would be very missed in my book.

Sorry but I had to ;)

blackjack_119
11-12-2009, 06:54 PM
If Channing Frye were playing as well for Portland as he is for Phoenix, the Blazers would be 9-0 at this point. That being said, I'm not really missing him. Had he stayed, he probably wouldn't have cracked the playing rotation for the second straight season.

dtmagnet
11-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Who knows if Vince Carter and Chris Bosh would have been a dynamic duo, I certainly think they could have been if Vince put the effort in. The Raptors would probably have more playoff appearances if nothing else had Vince Carter stayed.

SA5195
11-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Ya..I do miss VC as a player for the raps.

:(

heyman321
11-12-2009, 11:11 PM
ya..i do miss vc as a player for the raps.

^ ROFL Air Bargnani

KiLLaHDiCe12
11-12-2009, 11:31 PM
As a 76ers fan I miss Allen Iverson. I know all the reasons you guys have that suggest i shouldnt but he was so fun to watch.

ManRam
11-12-2009, 11:57 PM
I still definitely think we'll be better...but our offense seems a bit stagnant at time, and way too three point happy and dependent. Hedo's play making abilities have not been totally replaced. Carter doesn't seem to be attacking nearly as much as I want him to. Our offensive sets are terrible, and I think not having Hedo is hurting right now. But we'll start getting the chemistry back as players get healthy, and as time goes by. In the long run, I think our offense will be a lot better.

Right now, we just settle for bad shots, and don't really attack and create for others...something Hedo excelled at.

Chronz
11-13-2009, 01:24 AM
I dont know what your talking about man, the offense has looked fine to me, its the defense thats been unsettling. Had Hedo been around Im pretty sure the team offense wouldnt be as strong as its been thus far. Defensively, is it possible hes an upgrade on Vince?

ManRam
11-13-2009, 01:33 AM
I dont know what your talking about man, the offense has looked fine to me, its the defense thats been unsettling. Had Hedo been around Im pretty sure the team offense wouldnt be as strong as its been thus far. Defensively, is it possible hes an upgrade on Vince?

It's looked fine when we are making threes. When we aren't, we're toast. Vince was brought in, as far as I'm concerned, to stop the scoring droughts that result from our free through shooting. I know its early in the season, and he hasn't played much, but our team offense, aside from hitting threes, has been terrible.

Three point shooting in ur three losses:

22.1%, 28.6%, 18.8%

Now I know it's hard for any team to win with numbers like that...but we did last year. A lot of that may be defense. I've watched 5 games though...and the offense looks stagnant. It looks like we aren't running plays, rather we just shoot the first three we can. We hardly get any penetration- occasionally Jameer does. Our pick and roll offense has not been nearly as effective as it was last year...and that was our bread and butter. We may be scoring 100 points a game...but we have no offensive consistency. None. If we can't win by making threes, we wont win. Last year, while we were a great three point shooting team, we didn't rely on it. We rely on it this year...and I think Hedo might have something to do with that. His play making skills were so important. I know you think Shard was our offensive MVP last year, I think it was Hedo. We'll be fine...but there has been no offensive consistency. Some quick scoring attacks, then some long droughts. Not good enough for me.

Ugh...I wrote a lot. Whatever. The defense has sucked, but the offensive inconsistency has been just as big of an issue. Hope that above ramble makes sense.

AllTheWay
11-13-2009, 02:44 AM
Artest has fitten in awesomely with the Lakers. He is holding opposing small forwards to about 32% EFG, and is passing the ball really really well.

BlondeBomber41
11-13-2009, 06:14 AM
Our biggest defection was Brandon Bass, who so far we havent really missed due to the play of Kris Humphries. I think overall we will miss him though, I loved B-Bass.

Turtle55
11-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Ya..I do miss VC as a player for the raps.

Not a Raptors fan but have never viewed Vince in the same way after he openly quit on Toronto.

Chronz
11-15-2009, 12:21 AM
The Pacers definitely miss Jarret Jack. The team has had so many problems getting into the offense with TJ Ford running the point exclusively. Earl Watson is his replacement and has been instrumental in the team's 3 game win streak, though. Now that he's found his niche (and Ford's down with back spasms) I think the Pacers are starting to cope.
Good to know Watson has made a difference but the Pacers are missing last years Granger more than anyone. But what is it with TJ, when did he turn into such a chucker? Atleast Jack hasnt played well to start the year.

I still think the raps looked good with marion last year. I'm really happy with how Turk's been playing, but let's be honest, he still doesn't fill all the gaps. We need defense and rebounding, which the Matrix gave us in spades for the last couple months of the season.
Raps are first in offensive efficiency and dead last in defensive efficiency. Was this the ceiling we shouldve expected from Turks addition and Marions defection?

Ben Gordon, not really. I mean we're not as good on offense but that will improve. Our defense is substantially better this year. The continued improvement of Noah, Rose getting back to form, and Salmons ceasing to suck will fix the offense. Assuming those happen. Not saying we're better because Gordon's gone but we're not really going to miss him much.
Yea your offense isnt going to suck this long but its not going to be as potent as last year without Rose stepping his game up and continuing his development.

mzgrizz
11-15-2009, 12:53 AM
In the acute phase, I miss AI......I hardly knew him!
In the past 1-2 seasons, I miss Mike Miller and his 3's.

JayW_1023
11-15-2009, 05:40 AM
We need some health...not a particular player. It's disheartning that injuries are already happening to the Spurs. But hey, better now than in April I guess.