PDA

View Full Version : What is up with all the fouls on Dwight Howard this year?

Double_R
11-12-2009, 12:45 PM
I watch every Magic game and this year, more than any year, maybe since his rookie season, the refs have been taking Dwight out of games early on very ticky tack fouls, if fouls at all.

For example, I know the Magic were playing Stern's favorite team and all, but I mean to take Dwight out of the 1st quarter (2:12 off the clock) on those 2 very very iffy calls is insane. Then he comes back in and picks up his 3rd in a total of 4 minutes on the court. This is getting to be ridiculous, it changed the game last night(I'm not saying we would have won, but the 1st quarter would have been alot different), it's changed multiple games this season and it changes how aggressive DH can be on both sides of the ball.

Lebron couldn't buy a foul if he tried, just like last night when he blatantly committed an offensive foul on Pietrus, but they called it on Big Z, thus DH had to shoot the free throws, instead of Pietrus.

I know I'm a homer and I see things alittle differently, but I watched the game last night with a Lakers and a Heat fan and they saw the same BS calls that I did as did Hubie and Jeff Van Gundy.

Howard and Van Gundy have both been fined for openly criticizing the officials this year.
The refs need to look at the tape and put their ego's and whistles to the side.

Gibby23
11-12-2009, 12:53 PM
He should quit going for so many blocks. That will keep him out of foul trouble. He can change a shot without jumping.

ManRam
11-12-2009, 12:54 PM
He's not getting Shaq treatment at all. Shaq had a separate set of rules almost...Dwight isn't getting that benefit. There have been some iffy/frustrating calls. The calls last night, on Dwight (there were some bad ones on others), we not bad calls (one of them was real iffy, but still, it was probably still a foul, no matter how ticky tacky). They may have been close, but they weren't bad.

He's playing a little more carelessly, on both ends, this year. Someone said somewhere here that he is too emotional...and I agree. He gets frustrated, and that results in stupid fouls.

I'm not one who believes in referee conspiracies really. Every team gets screwed with bad calls, and fans only remember the bad...not the ones that favor their team. The Magic have been getting a ton of bad calls...but not to the point where the league should be blames. There has been reason to speak out...but ultimately, the three games we've lost were three games in which we played absolutely terrible. Gotta look in the mirror, not at the refs.

Ty Fast
11-12-2009, 01:21 PM
he needs to keep his mouth shut and just play

Hawkize31
11-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Probably shouldn't have ruined the finals last year. Now Dwight is getting tough calls.

JasonJohnHorn
11-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Howard has traditionally been called for a lot of fouls. He is aggressive in the paint, a strogn defender, and goes for a lot of blocks, but when you don't time them right a great shot blocker can get a lot of fouls (just ask Joel Anthony). Shaq found the same problem, which is why his block averages dipped further down his career, because he realized he had to pick his moments. Hakeem, Kareem, Mutumbo and Mourning were all great shot-blockers who culd get 2 or 3 or 4 a game without getting into foul trouble, but most players can't. Couple with that, when Howard gets the ball in the post, he often tries that spin-to-the-right-drop-the-shoulder move, and often creates space by thrusting his shoulder into the defender, which is an offensive foul. Some refs call that on him (like they did in the finals last year) and some don't (like they didn't in the conference finals). And opposing teams know how hard Howard works on defence and send players in early and often to try and draw fouls on him. Teams know how much of an impact Howard makes while on the floor and I don't doubt that each team intentionally sends players into post on drives to draw fouls and officials have been made more aware of the shoulder-spike Howard pulls on offence.

So why does he get called so much? Because he commits a lot of fouls. Sometimes the simply answer is the best one.

How do the Magic correct this? Don't drop the ball into Howard on offence too much (he scores about 20 a game and over half that comes from either offence rebounds/put-backs, or openings created when the opposing centers have to come out to double team or pick up Carter or Nelson), and instruct him to not to block shots, but merely alter them. With Nelson, Cater and Howard attacking the basket, openings and easy dunks will come to Howard, and coupled with his offensive rebounds/putbacks, Howard can provide 20 points a game without even having a play set up for him. Until he developes his footwork in the paint and range, there's not much point to giving Howard the ball in the post unless its just to kick back out on the double-team and get opppsing defences to breka down.

magicbucs4eva
11-12-2009, 02:09 PM
its real simple if u watched last nights game and i was at the game. the refs are on lebrons nuts. he did not have any fouls until the 2nd quarter which was suprising for any player! im not worried about it bc its a long season but i wish the refs would call a fair game for howard

rapjuicer06
11-12-2009, 02:18 PM
you can't really complain when its all judgment calls. everyone has different judgment. but they do need to call it both ways. i don't give two ***** about the superstar calls. **** that! that just goes to show that parts of the game really are unfair

Raph12
11-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Howard doesn't get star-treatment and he should recognize that and adjust him game accordingly. The calls are iffy, but since they are going against him, he needs to be less aggressive and just pick and choose which he will attempt to block.

On another note; Howard seems alot lazier on both ends this year, not trying as hard as he was in previous seasons, he needs to step it up in every facet of his game.

Vee-Rex
11-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Boo hoo. Dwight Howard is getting fouls because he's fouling people.

Everyone gets bad calls. I've seen games where Howard draws a foul just because he stepped into the paint.

That's why I wish Lebron would settle for a buzzer beater jump shot at the end of a game instead of driving and hoping to get a foul called. More playing less whining, plz.

Double_R
11-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Howard has traditionally been called for a lot of fouls.

I love how some people post things that show that they have no idea what they are talking about. That is not true, Howard has traditionally lead the league in blocks:fouls ratio. His career fouls per game is 3.2, this year it is 4.1, that is a big difference. So you missed on that one.

I'm not talking about Howard getting whistled for trying to block shots, I'm talking about the ones that should be no calls, like the 1st 3 he had last night, then on the other end Varejao bumps Vince when he's dribbling around and it's a no call. I'm fine with the no call, but if you watch the 2 Varejao's was worse, yet DH gets the foul. I'm not saying there is a conspiracy, I'm saying that they need to officiate Howard like years past.

the refs are on lebrons nuts

Truest statement of the day

MAC10TIZZY
11-12-2009, 03:43 PM
ive got to becareful how i say this, because i hate players that go into the play wanting to draw the foul, think about it why is basketball so fun, cause its fun to be agressive and score and block and cross and all those things, when each and every one of us was younger we would play ball on the street courtsto play not to draw a foul,i think they should just let the big boys play. i was so amped about watching shaq and dwight bang it out, dwight was even in but three minutes and he went to the bench. no baning' between shaq and dwight makes me angry. tufffin' up your refs nba

NYCkid12
11-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Boo hoo. Dwight Howard is getting fouls because he's fouling people.

Everyone gets bad calls. I've seen games where Howard draws a foul just because he stepped into the paint.

That's why I wish Lebron would settle for a buzzer beater jump shot at the end of a game instead of driving and hoping to get a foul called. More playing less whining, plz.

u shuld not be talking about lebron "taking a chance" on getting a call.....he gets every call possible..its unbelievable....and dwight gets hacked n dont get calls

C_Mund
11-12-2009, 04:23 PM
It's just the way it goes. Bosh is leading the L in free throw attempts but there's still about five times a game he takes a hard hit in the paint and doesn't get a call. It's just life. If Dwight (much like Shaq) wants to make a living off of bullying people down low he's going to suffer if his positioning isn't perfect.

SteveNash
11-12-2009, 04:42 PM
They're probably just making up for all the calls he got away with last year.

ko8e24
11-12-2009, 04:51 PM
They're probably just making up for all the calls he got away with last year.

lol, didnt the refs call a foul on Dwight everytime Lebron drove to the lane in last yrs ECF??

Double_R
11-12-2009, 05:06 PM
It's amazing how steve nash just says things, just to say em, you obviously have no clue about what you are saying. Once again i LIKE kobe more than Steve Nash

PS Kobe shouldve been MVP over Nash a couple of years ago and he should be the front runner so far this year. The MVP of the Suns should be Shaq for leaving, that is why they are better

harm0n1x
11-12-2009, 05:12 PM
lol, didnt the refs call a foul on Dwight everytime Lebron drove to the lane in last yrs ECF??

nah, dwight got away with so many calls in the ECF's it's not even funny. all the elbows he was throwing, the shoulders in the paint. i can recall him throwing a bow into mo williams head during the series, causing mo to leave the game to get stitches. who got called for the foul? a guy with a black eye and however many stitches named mo williams. it's about time he starts getting fouls called..

MAC10TIZZY
11-12-2009, 05:27 PM
nah, dwight got away with so many calls in the ECF's it's not even funny. all the elbows he was throwing, the shoulders in the paint. i can recall him throwing a bow into mo williams head during the series, causing mo to leave the game to get stitches. who got called for the foul? a guy with a black eye and however many stitches named mo williams. it's about time he starts getting fouls called..

your an idiot, it was anthony johnson who elbowed him, mo williams was the one thowing cheap shots at dwight........stick to being a bandwagon steelers fan

MAC10TIZZY
11-12-2009, 05:28 PM
sorry mods i fixed it

Double_R
11-12-2009, 05:32 PM

Exactly, what MacTizzy said. You must not have watched the ECF b/c it was covered by multiple media members for being full of ridiculous calls.

Double_R
11-12-2009, 05:34 PM
your an idiot, it was anthony johnson who elbowed him, mo williams was the one thowing cheap shots at dwight........stick to being a bandwagon steelers fan

That was just an amazing post, Mo Williams is a joke and so is steelers fan aka future Colts or Saints fan

Ray_R
11-12-2009, 05:47 PM
David Stern doesnt want the magic to succed :shrug:

Raph12
11-12-2009, 06:18 PM

Dwight avged 5.6 fouls per game in that series, fouling out almost every game he played against Lebron.

That was Anthony Johnson now Howard.

Howard didn't get as many calls on him in previous seasons compared to the first 9 he's played so far, but that is just something he has to accept and he needs to react and adjust his game accordingly.

PLAYERS FAN
11-12-2009, 06:25 PM
I watch every Magic game and this year, more than any year, maybe since his rookie season, the refs have been taking Dwight out of games early on very ticky tack fouls, if fouls at all.

For example, I know the Magic were playing Stern's favorite team and all, but I mean to take Dwight out of the 1st quarter (2:12 off the clock) on those 2 very very iffy calls is insane. Then he comes back in and picks up his 3rd in a total of 4 minutes on the court. This is getting to be ridiculous, it changed the game last night(I'm not saying we would have won, but the 1st quarter would have been alot different), it's changed multiple games this season and it changes how aggressive DH can be on both sides of the ball.

Lebron couldn't buy a foul if he tried, just like last night when he blatantly committed an offensive foul on Pietrus, but they called it on Big Z, thus DH had to shoot the free throws, instead of Pietrus.

I know I'm a homer and I see things alittle differently, but I watched the game last night with a Lakers and a Heat fan and they saw the same BS calls that I did as did Hubie and Jeff Van Gundy.

Howard and Van Gundy have both been fined for openly criticizing the officials this year.
The refs need to look at the tape and put their ego's and whistles to the side.

David Stern and his three horseman are making sure Lebron and Shaq win the title! Lakers fans expect some BS calls on Artest on Lebron this year! If I was a Magic fan I be worry about playing the Cavs in the playoffs because of the refs!

Raph12
11-12-2009, 06:48 PM
David Stern and his three horseman are making sure Lebron and Shaq win the title! Lakers fans expect some BS calls on Artest on Lebron this year! If I was a Magic fan I be worry about playing the Cavs in the playoffs because of the refs!

It's okay even if they beat the Magic, the Celts will tear them apart and if by some miracle they beat the Celts, Kobe will eat Lebron to earn his 5th ring.

I really like Lebron, but when a star (Dwight) gets two fouls 2mins into the game, it changes the atmosphere completely and it's very annoying to the fans who wanted to see an intense full-on game.

MAC10TIZZY
11-13-2009, 01:17 AM
It's okay even if they beat the Magic, the Celts will tear them apart and if by some miracle they beat the Celts, Kobe will eat Lebron to earn his 5th ring.

I really like Lebron, but when a star (Dwight) gets two fouls 2mins into the game, it changes the atmosphere completely and it's very annoying to the fans who wanted to see an intense full-on game.

true, true, and true on your last couple of posts!!