PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Jennings

camador22
11-12-2009, 12:37 PM
The season's early right now but Brandon Jennings is definitely taking the ROY award. What I don't understand is why hasn't there been any hype as there was for Derrick Rose last year. I think Jennings is better then Rose in his rookie year and currently. Jennings has a very bright future in the NBA and eventually make the Bucks a decent team.

ManRam
11-12-2009, 12:42 PM
He plays for the Bucks.
Rose plays for the Bulls.

That's all there is to it.

what54!?
11-12-2009, 12:43 PM
^^^^^ thats the answer. The bucks don't have that big of a market team

jimbobjarree
11-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Jennings for god

Double_R
11-12-2009, 12:48 PM
He's on my fantasy team, I'm loving the dude

Gibby23
11-12-2009, 12:52 PM
He is better than Rose so far this year. Whats up with Rose this year?

Lost Art
11-12-2009, 12:54 PM
He is playing better than Rose did last year...........and DEFINITELY better than Rose is playing this year. But I'm just waiting for this dream ride to end. I can't imagine him playing like this all season, he's looking like an allstar contender thus far with the Bucks at 4-2

MakaSizzle
11-12-2009, 12:58 PM

Hes got a bad ankle not attcking the rim where 70% of his points were from last year. His shots been awsome thats where 70% of his points are from this year. When he gets explosion back in the ankle WATCH OUT

bogmon
11-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Bucks finally get a draft pick RIGHT....really really RIGHT!

I think it might finally be time to let Michael Redd walk and get on with the complete youth movement in Milwaukee!

Brew Crew
11-12-2009, 01:15 PM

I think it might finally be time to let Michael Redd walk and get on with the complete youth movement in Milwaukee!

Redd isn't walking. He's got a player option worth $18 million next year as well soooo will some GM please take him this year? When he comes back I guarantee you it throws the Bucks out of rhythm. He thinks he's a superstar and wants the ball all the time.

I'd also like to point out that if Jodie Meeks would actually get playing time, he'd be doing way better then expected. He's sinking 3 after 3 this year and Redd should make way for him at SG sometime soon.

mrtrey1992
11-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Rookie of the year unless when griffin comes back from injury and dominates other then that this will be the rookie of the year

JasonJohnHorn
11-12-2009, 01:38 PM
I like Jennings so far, and I think he's a smart kid. Smart enough to hop over to Europe for his freshman year. AS for his stats and lack-of-hype, I think part of it is because he's a big fish in a little pond. The Bucks lost two of their best players on the offseason (Jefferson and Charlie V) and their best player is out with injury (Redd: who I would love to see in Cleveland), so there aren't a lot of scoring options left. He's got a decent FG% for a rookie (45%) and he's shooting well from behind the arc (45% as well) and hands out 5+ assists with only 3+ turnovers, all great stats for a rookie. And he's even working the board at 4+ a game (impressive for a point guard, especially a rookie point guard). He is clearly playing above the level of all other rookies right now (though DaJuan Blair is playing great in the limitted minutes he's had, his per-48 minutes stats are the most impressive of all rookies).

So why no hype? I think because people don't like to call it 6 games into the season (rookies sometimes jump out of the starting gate and then find that other teams adjust to their style of play and those rookies see their numbers drop), couple with the fact that we've seen a lot of young point guards hoist up around 20 points and 5 assists (Francis and Marbury for example) and not all of them turn out to be that great. So people are hesitant to praise scoring point guards. The Bulls were also a playoff team last year and Rose was the best player on a playoff team, where as Jennings is the best player on a non-playoff team. Lastly I think its because people are waiting to see what Griffin does before handing over the ROY to Jennings.

That said, Jennings appears to be the real deal. He's spoke about wanting to set up his teammates, he works the board and his percentages across the boards are impressive for a veteran point guard let alone a rookie (Andre Miller, Kidd, Davis and many other all-star point guard have lower FG% than Jennings).

As for comparisons with Rose, Rose had a high assist average, better assist-to-turnover ratio (a very imnportant stat for a point guard), played for a better team and had a higher FG%, even if Jennings is a better 3 point shooter (according to stats) and scored more. And Rose has two inches on Jennings, which usually gives a player an advantage on defence (Rose can guard the SG if he has too) and also usually gives the player an advantage when posting up on isolation plays.

Jennings is great and deserves some love, but any reasonable person will wait before throwing him the ROY award after 6 or 7 games.

Hellcrooner
11-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Jenning is just the next glorified Bal hogh that can get 30 game with ease but not make his team win.

Next Arenas in my opinion

DitchDat
11-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Jennings for ROY indeed. He even has an outside shot, which Rose hasn't.
I'm still waiting for Blake Griffin though.

As for Redd, the Bucks should just trade him to a contender who wants to take on his 2 remaining years. I think he would fit in with Cleveland, if they want to take on his contract.
Maybe Redd, Elson <> Ilgauskas, West, Hickson, J. Williams?
Cavs: PG Mo/Gibson SF James/Moon C Shaq/Elson SG Redd/Parker PF Varejao/Powe
Bucks: PG Jennings/Ridnour SF Delfino/Mbah A Moute C Bogut/Ilgauskas SG Bell/West PF Warrick/Hickson

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine (http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine)

I think this trade makes both teams better. The Cavs get a proven veteran scorer and fellow-team USA player for James. Ilgauskas and Elson are very comparable backup bigs, so that's wouldn't be a huge dropoff for them.
The Bucks acquire young hopefuls in West and Hickson, and a big expiring contract in Big Z.
Work both ways IMO

Hellcrooner
11-12-2009, 01:44 PM
and for ROy talk, nobody noticing Tyreke evans?

BigEric
11-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Don't really know why the Knicks passed up the chance to get him. Jordan Hill is going to be very solid, but Jennings is the real deal. I'm assuming all of that money they had invested in Duhon is the reason.

Chronz
11-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Hes got a bad ankle not attcking the rim where 70% of his points were from last year. His shots been awsome thats where 70% of his points are from this year. When he gets explosion back in the ankle WATCH OUT

Is that why hes looked so timid on his drives, hes had a few defenders out of position and instead of agressively drawing contact and making a layup he'd hopstep into the paint, take a second to survey the floor and find a passing option all to avoid taking the hit.

It was a move I never see any of the top shelf PG's make, even the older guys if they can create that separation will draw the contact. Rose can create the separation but seemingly doesnt know what comes next.

Hes done this on several occasions already. The kid is either hurting and unable to make plays, or hes an overrated slasher with limited vision.

Brew Crew
11-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Jenning is just the next glorified Bal hogh that can get 30 game with ease but not make his team win.

Is that why he's led the otherwise below average Bucks to a 4-2 record (Should be 5-1, but they gave up a 20 point lead in the last few minutes to the Bulls)?

As for Redd, the Bucks shoud just trade him to a contender who wants to take on his 2 remaining years. I think he would fit in with Cleveland, if they want to take on his contract.
Maybe Redd, Elson <> Ilgauskas, West, Hickson, J. Williams?
Cavs: PG Mo/Gibson SF James/Moon C Shaq/Elson SG Redd/Parker PF Varejao/Powe
Bucks: PG Jennings/Ridnour SF Delfino/Mbah A Moute C Bogut/Ilgauskas SG Bell/West PF Warrick/Hickson

We'll take expirings no doubt, as long as they don't last through next season. As for West, dudes going to jail why would the Bucks want that headcase...

AddiX
11-12-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm a huge fan of Jennings and have said numerous times he fit perfect into the Knicks offense.

The guy flat out looks like he was born with a basketball in his hand. Easily is the fastest player with the ball in the NBA right now.

My only real knock against him is stronger PGs will beast on him, and he cant get through a screen for his life. I still love watching him, hes already one of my favorite players to watch in the NBA.

Raph12
11-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Rose seems to have lost a step already (heard something about an ankle injury earlier), but had a great rookie season and led his team to the playoffs. Granted he was in a better situation than Jennings, but players who could put up great stats and get the Ws tend to get more recognition.

Plus, Rose being the 1st overall pick and playing for the Bulls couldn't hurt his chances either.

GunFactor187
11-12-2009, 02:33 PM
It's all gonna come down to T. Evans or B. Jennings IMO.

WSU Tony
11-12-2009, 02:34 PM
We're crowning him after 10 games? Seriously? Ah, this is PSD, I forgot!

Gators123
11-12-2009, 03:27 PM
I think Derrick Rose Ankle Injury is a excuse for his poor play. Didn't they say in the pre-season his injury wasn't that bad? Hes only playing 4 MPG less then average. I'm sure His ankle his near 100%.

ChiBulls91
11-12-2009, 03:29 PM

rose is still nursing an injury and trying to get into the swing of things given that he missed virtually all of pre-season

AddiX
11-12-2009, 03:37 PM
We're crowning him after 10 games? Seriously? Ah, this is PSD, I forgot!

I dont think anyone is giving him any sort of crown, but when you drop 32 pts and 9 assists as a rookie against Denver you sure as **** deserve your shine.

The guy has handle, a way better shot than advertised, fastest player on the court with the ball. he can break down players 1 on 1, set up nice passing lanes.

There is nothing about him that says to me hes not going to be a hell of player. As I said before, his only weaknesses are on defense. IMO he is far and ahead of any rookie for ROY.

Stunner
11-12-2009, 03:38 PM
But the record is Rose 1 and Jennings 0 plus Rose lit him up in the 4th quarter. Don t get it wrong Jennings is a stud and one of my favorite players but dont get ahead of yourself rose is still playing injured and plus Jennings getting all these points he is the 1st option on that team until Redd gets back.

DerekRE_3
11-12-2009, 03:40 PM
and for ROy talk, nobody noticing Tyreke evans?

My thoughts exactly. He is averaging 25 PPG 6 APG and 6 RPG with Kevin Martin out, is playing very good defense, and has lead us to a 3-0 record while being "the guy." What I find funny is how Tyreke is averaging more assists per 48 min than Johnny Flynn...and averages a whole turnover less than Flynn does in more minutes...yet guess who gets the combo guard label.

Stunner
11-12-2009, 03:41 PM
I dont think anyone is giving him any sort of crown, but when you drop 32 pts and 9 assists as a rookie against Denver you sure as **** deserve your shine.

The guy has handle, a way better shot than advertised, fastest player on the court with the ball. he can break down players 1 on 1, set up nice passing lanes.

There is nothing about him that says to me hes not going to be a hell of player. As I said before, his only weaknesses are on defense. IMO he is far and ahead of any rookie for ROY.

Thats good he drop 32 but its against the Denver nuggegts who are playing bad defense right now. If he does it against Boston then u got sumtin.

Stunner
11-12-2009, 03:42 PM
My thoughts exactly. He is averaging 25 PPG 6 APG and 6 RPG with Kevin Martin out, is playing very good defense, and has lead us to a 3-0 record while being "the guy." What I find funny is how Tyreke is averaging more assists per 48 min than Johnny Flynn...and averages a whole turnover less than Flynn does in more minutes...yet guess who gets the combo guard label.

Again Evans the 1st option plus Rose own Evans in high school we'll find out next Tuesday when the Bulls vs Kings.

DerekRE_3
11-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Again Evans the 1st option plus Rose own Evans in high school we'll find out next Tuesday when the Bulls vs Kings.

Uh when did I mention anything about Derrick Rose in that post? :confused: I've never said anything about Tyreke Evans being better than Derrick Rose in any of my posts on this site. I do think Tyreke can hold his own though, he already did it against Chris Paul and especially against Deron Williams this year.

bigsams50
11-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Thats good he drop 32 but its against the Denver nuggegts who are playing bad defense right now. If he does it against Boston then u got sumtin.

KG less boston. big difference.

Stunner
11-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Uh when did I mention anything about Derrick Rose in that post? :confused: I've never said anything about Tyreke Evans being better than Derrick Rose in any of my posts on this site. I do think Tyreke can hold his own though, he already did it against Chris Paul and especially against Deron Williams this year.

MY bad got caught up :D it was u agreed with the quote dat said in a few years it jus going to be about Jennings and Evans and jus forgot about Rose. Again my bad.

Stunner
11-12-2009, 03:49 PM
KG less boston. big difference.

Wasnt talkin bout that i know it was against a KG less boston, I was talkin bout this year Boston team.:eyebrow:

bigsams50
11-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Wasnt talkin bout that i know it was against a KG less boston, I was talkin bout this year Boston team.:eyebrow:

Wernt you talkin about rose playing well against boston? If you were you coundt be talkin about this year because he only had 10 points

Stunner
11-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Wernt you talkin about rose playing well against boston? If you were you coundt be talkin about this year because he only had 10 points

:facepalm: i was talkin bout Jennings having 32 points against a great Defensive team.

bigsams50
11-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Easy with the overused facepalms, i missread your post

Stunner
11-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Easy with the overused facepalms, i missread your post

lol its cool

Turtle55
11-12-2009, 04:05 PM
I think Derrick Rose Ankle Injury is a excuse for his poor play. Didn't they say in the pre-season his injury wasn't that bad? Hes only playing 4 MPG less then average. I'm sure His ankle his near 100%.

It's probably close to healed. I think he's taking a while to get his rhythm back. As others have posted he missed the entire preseason. He'll be fine, he didn't spend the summer forgetting how to play basketball. It's just a slow start.

Now on to the subject of the thread. Jennings has been phenomenal. He's easily the best rookie I've watched this year. You have to be good to get this much rope from Skiles as a rookie. I thought the Bucks were making a big mistake by letting Sessions leave but obviously I was wrong. If this kid has his head on right he could be really good.

Stunner
11-12-2009, 04:18 PM
It's probably close to healed. I think he's taking a while to get his rhythm back. As others have posted he missed the entire preseason. He'll be fine, he didn't spend the summer forgetting how to play basketball. It's just a slow start.

Now on to the subject of the thread. Jennings has been phenomenal. He's easily the best rookie I've watched this year. You have to be good to get this much rope from Skiles as a rookie. I thought the Bucks were making a big mistake by letting Sessions leave but obviously I was wrong. If this kid has his head on right he could be really good.

Agreed

ValuePick
11-12-2009, 04:20 PM
There were a lot of BJ haters here before the draft. They're pretty quiet now. I'm not crowning him ROY yet, but if you get a chance to watch the Bucks, do it.

ValuePick
11-12-2009, 04:25 PM
5 games worth of highlights. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jzhtYkaNDM

BenFrank
11-12-2009, 04:30 PM
There were a lot of BJ haters here before the draft. They're pretty quiet now. I'm not crowning him ROY yet, but if you get a chance to watch the Bucks, do it.

Yea.. I agree... the kid got a lot of flack, because he called out Rubio, the foreign prince, saying he was better than him, which he is!

This guy was the #2 highschool player, like 2 years ago, and was a top recruit, but decided to go oversea's.. and played limited minute's, in there style of play..

Jenning's gonna be a All-Star, and is a top ROY candidate

Bausman
11-12-2009, 04:33 PM

Your such a hater. The Bucks have one of the worst rosters in the NBA and their best player is out... they are 4-2. I think he made his team a little better. No he is not a euro but the dude can play. Please stop the hatred towards american players just because they can cross someone over and create a shot for themself. please.

BkOriginalOne
11-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Jennings also, won't make the playoffs.
If you but Jennings on the bulls, than he is the man.

Wrigheyes4MVP
11-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Jennings looks amazing right now.

Offensively he looks like the most uniquely talented rookie in the league.

However, Tyreke Evans is a beast on both sides of the floor...offense and defense. He also has a more ready NBA body.

The ROY will come down to these two young studs.

Draco
11-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Is that why hes looked so timid on his drives, hes had a few defenders out of position and instead of agressively drawing contact and making a layup he'd hopstep into the paint, take a second to survey the floor and find a passing option all to avoid taking the hit.

It was a move I never see any of the top shelf PG's make, even the older guys if they can create that separation will draw the contact. Rose can create the separation but seemingly doesnt know what comes next.

Hes done this on several occasions already. The kid is either hurting and unable to make plays, or hes an overrated slasher with limited vision.

lol.. what a load of BS. I'm convinced that if you do watch Bulls game that you don't actually pay attention.

Sportfan
11-12-2009, 07:13 PM
BJ is a baller, I called it last year

FarOutIos
11-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Jennings looks amazing right now.

Offensively he looks like the most uniquely talented rookie in the league.

However, Tyreke Evans is a beast on both sides of the floor...offense and defense. He also has a more ready NBA body.

The ROY will come down to these two young studs.

As a Kings fan... I had a few favorites before the draft. Tyreke was one. Jennings was another. So was Harden and DeRozan. I'm glad we picked Evans, but I would not be mad if he had picked Jennings instead. BOTH will be great players- it's like picking between Wade or Chris Paul. Can you really say one is better? The more important thing is how they fit in with their team.

B.JenningsMVP
11-12-2009, 07:36 PM
The next big thing is brandon jennings!!

blazerman
11-12-2009, 07:59 PM

I was a little skeptical of what the Bucks were up to by dumping RJ and I wasnt sure if Jennings would be a solid pro, well Im really happy for the Bucks and their fans, they made the right decisions.

Jennings is definitely a candidate for ROY, keep it up Bucks.

IversonIsKrazy
11-12-2009, 08:42 PM
I c a lot of AI in Jennings. Jennings is quick, and has a lot of moves, but the coach is letting him do w/e he wants. Once the "pg torture" begins, u can expect his stats to go down, but this guy is going to be big.

Chronz
11-12-2009, 09:07 PM
lol.. what a load of BS. I'm convinced that if you do watch Bulls game that you don't actually pay attention.

Sure thats why I vividly remember the play specifically(I was showing the replays to my friends and they were all pretty much in agreement), its not all his fault if thats what your looking for, teams are loading up on you guys now that BG isnt around.

ChiSox219
11-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Sure thats why I vividly remember the play specifically(I was showing the replays to my friends and they were all pretty much in agreement), its not all his fault if thats what your looking for, teams are loading up on you guys now that BG isnt around.

You're pretty much dead on. I don't (and neither do any other fans) know the extent of Rose's ankle but Rose does look a step slower.

Even more so, watching the Nuggets load in the paint made it very difficult for Rose to penetrate and get to the rim. John Salmons is shooting 30% and Deng doesn't really have the three point range to draw serious outside contention. In that respect we missed Gordon because the defense knew BG would chuck at any opportunity and make a good rate. That really freed up room for Rose to work. I would really like to sign Anthony Morrow and hope the Warriors would be unwilling to match, I think he'd be an ideal 2 guard with Rose.

On the subject of Jennings, I've seen him play the Bulls 3 times and I've caught a couple other games and I still don't know where he's going to end. I love the guy because he's been big for my fantasy team but I think he's over-performing right now. He's shooting much better than I anticipated, based on preseason it looked like he'd struggle big time form the outside.

On the subject of that Nuggets game, I looked and as expected, most of his points came in the 4th quarter. The Nuggets spent the previous night grinding away the Bulls so if Denver didn't have that game won by the end of the 3rd, there was no way they'd pull it out.

I could see BJ ending up as an Iverson type player for better and worse.