PDA

View Full Version : Shaq and Dwight's Performance: 1st Half

mrblisterdundee
11-11-2009, 10:46 PM
It's like watching a television drama witnessing these to massive basketball talents go head-to-head. On one side you have Shaquille O'Neal, the greatest power-oriented center of all time. On the other, you have Dwight Howard, the prodigal son left in Orlando to rot by his globe-trotting, basket ball superstar father

Shaq played 12:30 and Dwight played 11:30. Both of them had eight points, two rebounds and three personal fouls. The only significant difference in their performances was that Shaq denied Howard once; what a fatherly gesture:

"I'm sorry son, for leavin' you here like this," consoled O'Neal, illustrating with his hand only what his heart could say. "Daddy's job took him all across the country. Your mother was only in high school and I couldn't be takin' her all the way to Louisiana with me."

"But I thought Georgia was only one state away," Howard wondered, his brow furrowed and year's of abandonment issues haunting him. "Why didn't you come and see me?"

"Those swamps are treacherous, believe you and me" replied O'Neal, one arm draped around his son's upper back. "Soon, I was gone in Los Angeles and Phoenix. You wouldve burned yourself to a crisp, and I couldn't have lived with myself."

"I still don't know why you couldn't have come a few times in 24 years," responded Howard, struggling to build hold himself together.

"Just enjoy the time we have together now," encouraged O'Neal. "You've made me proud. Now prepare as big daddy gets ready to deny yo' punk ***."

kozelkid
11-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Wow lol. You must be a journalist.

mrblisterdundee
11-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Wow lol. You must be a journalist.

That's the idea, in a very loose editorial sense.

Rome
11-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Haha. Shaq is enjoying this one. It'll be a different story when Lewis gets back.

jetsfan28
11-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Simply put, the true day 1 (to me) of the Shaq experiment was a success. His biggest role on this team will be to cover Howard and protect the interior against Boston. He's done his job so far today. The first game against Boston was too early in the season, we'll have to see how he does against them next time (sadly, not until February).

SteveNash
11-11-2009, 11:09 PM
This game just backs up my previous statements.

ManRam
11-11-2009, 11:27 PM
There were a lot of Magic fans who legitimately said that Cleveland doesn't worry them one bit this year. Shaq proved he can do what they brought him in to do: get Dwight in foul trouble and contain him. He did both.

The Magic couldn't make any threes tonight...and they are losing big. They need to figure out how to win games when the threes aren't dropping...otherwise they will keep being terribly inconsistent, and come playoff time, inconstancy will doom you.

AllTheWay
11-11-2009, 11:31 PM
So Shaq did exactly what he was brought in to do. Nice.

MagicBucsSox
11-11-2009, 11:38 PM
There were a lot of Magic fans who legitimately said that Cleveland doesn't worry them one bit this year. Shaq proved he can do what they brought him in to do: get Dwight in foul trouble and contain him. He did both.

The Magic couldn't make any threes tonight...and they are losing big. They need to figure out how to win games when the threes aren't dropping...otherwise they will keep being terribly inconsistent, and come playoff time, inconstancy will doom you.

cleveland still dont worry me
mr sellout strikes again, u sicken me as an alleged magic when your an undercover cavs fan.
the game boils down to terrible fouls calls IN WHICH BOTH JEFF VAN GUNDY AND HUBIE BROWN CALL OUT, mo williams having an outta body experience being like 13-14, dwight doubled team an entire game and us w/o all star rashard lewis and 15ppg ryan anderson.
hey we're getting pounded but we all know what happens when both teams at full strength,its been that way 3yrs now

ManRam
11-11-2009, 11:44 PM
mr sellout strikes again, u sicken me as an alleged magic when your an undercover cavs fan.
the game boils down to terrible fouls calls IN WHICH BOTH JEFF VAN GUNDY AND HUBIE BROWN CALL OUT, mo williams having an outta body experience being like 13-14, dwight doubled team an entire game and us w/o all star rashard lewis and 15ppg ryan anderson.
hey we're getting pounded but we all know what happens when both teams at full strength,its been that way 3yrs now

If you think the refs can single handedly make our offense suck as much as it did, and create a 20 point fourth quarter game, you're delusional. We shot more FTs, had 5 fewer fouls..etc. The refs made a few bad calls, they always do too. I'm not a Cavs fan...I just have eyes and a brain. They bullied us tonight. We could hit a shot if our life depended on it. Their defense was amazing. Ours, again, sucked. We are a subpar defensive team now.

Mo did go nuts, but we did a terrible job guarding him. He had open shot after open shot as far as I noticed.

Not having Lewis sucks, same with Anderson. But the Cavs exposed some huge problems we have. 9 assists on 37 baskets is terrible. On offense we basically just chuck up shots whenever we want. We don't run any offensive sets ever it seems like.

Sorry if a beat down doesn't worry me. Maybe I'm the crazy one. :rolleyes:

championships
11-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Magic still living and dieing by the three.

ManRam
11-12-2009, 12:06 AM
See, last year at times we lived by the three, but we rarely died by it. We had other ways of beating teams. This year, we haven't won a game unless we hit a lot of threes. The games we've been cold, we've lost. Getting Shard back will help, but I'm on the verge of getting slightly worried about our offense.

Teeboy1487
11-12-2009, 12:13 AM
This is just one game. It means nothing especially since Cleveland is full strength and the magic are not. However, I do think shaq can slow down howard down. The key for Cleveland is stopping athletic power forwards like Rasard.

albertc86
11-12-2009, 12:59 AM
Howard is too emotional. I think Shaq will continue to disrupt Howard's game in one way or another.

Kenny
11-12-2009, 01:08 AM

The cavs didnt have delonte west the 2nd leading scorer the last two playoffs for the cavs

cmstophe
11-12-2009, 01:21 AM
Gee, think Jeff van Gundy is a little biased in his constant complaining about the calls tonight?

Chronz
11-12-2009, 02:40 AM
See, last year at times we lived by the three, but we rarely died by it. We had other ways of beating teams. This year, we haven't won a game unless we hit a lot of threes. The games we've been cold, we've lost. Getting Shard back will help, but I'm on the verge of getting slightly worried about our offense.

Getting Shard back changes everything bro, hes your offensive MVP, players that are as efficient as he is (120+ Offensive rating IIRC) and do their damage from the perimeter, their value gos beyond simple stats. And thats saying alot because his statistical contributions are elite.

macc
11-12-2009, 03:08 AM
If you think the refs can single handedly make our offense suck as much as it did, and create a 20 point fourth quarter game, you're delusional. We shot more FTs, had 5 fewer fouls..etc. The refs made a few bad calls, they always do too. I'm not a Cavs fan...I just have eyes and a brain. They bullied us tonight. We could hit a shot if our life depended on it. Their defense was amazing. Ours, again, sucked. We are a subpar defensive team now.

Mo did go nuts, but we did a terrible job guarding him. He had open shot after open shot as far as I noticed.

Not having Lewis sucks, same with Anderson. But the Cavs exposed some huge problems we have. 9 assists on 37 baskets is terrible. On offense we basically just chuck up shots whenever we want. We don't run any offensive sets ever it seems like.

Manram, stop hitting the panic button brother. It was one meaningless early regular season game. Both teams are still tweaking things. Not having at least Anderson in changes how we play on a regular basis. When we have both healthy its a completely different ball game. Our complexity is completely different. You know this.

Injuries kept us conventional and we couldn't switch it up to a spread due to injuries/suspensions.

Cavs played great tonight. They def wanted it more, and having 4 days to prepare for us def helps them in that aspect. Playing on back to back nights is tough, esp against a quality team in Cleveland. Plus they have great defense. When we swung the ball around they did a good job getting to their man. We didn't have as many open looks as we're used to.

Eventhough my team got beat it it was still a fun game to watch. They talk about Shaq/Dwight but I think it's more of a Dwight/Lebron rivalry and will be one for a long time to come.

MTar786
11-12-2009, 10:47 AM
i would take vince over shard as the magics offensive mvp.. i dont care about numbers or all the figures. its easy for the eye to see vince is a better offensive player with a more complete offensive game

arkanian215
11-12-2009, 11:06 AM

says the guy who thinks kevin martin is a just jumpshooter.

MAC10TIZZY
11-12-2009, 11:38 AM

i was thinkin the same thing

prodigy
11-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Haha. Shaq is enjoying this one. It'll be a different story when Lewis gets back.

Why is lewis going to cover shaq? lol.

The refs cheated, Lebron travels alot, Mo Williams had an outta body experience although he did this alot last season.

Bottom line is, Cavs had the better team on that day and won. Its really early so lets all move on.

one more thing. People are complaining because the cavs had 3 days off and magic are coming off a back to back. But I did not hear magic fans saying anything about how the last 2 seasons the cavs had to play Orlando after coming off huge west coast trips. So deal with it.

rapjuicer06
11-12-2009, 11:43 AM

losing by 9 is a beat down? hmm weird....if you look at it, the magic were missing two VERY VERY VERY key parts to the team in lewis and anderson. the cavs shot lights out and played their starters til the buzzer in the 4th quarter, AND ONLY WON BY 9 POINTS!!!! then you take into account that we shot like ****, played like ****, and only lost by 9 POINTS...the cavs played out of their minds, and didn't blow out the magic, that has to tell you something.....

MAC10TIZZY
11-12-2009, 11:46 AM

...i will admit i dont always agree with your thinkings but i will agree with you here...i personally think besides the injuries and the suspension the second most single thing that is killiln us is jameer's defense....

ManRam
11-12-2009, 11:47 AM
says the guy who thinks kevin martin is a just jumpshooter.

Your logic never ceases to amaze me. I don't think I've ever heard anything actually considered a solid argument from you in your life. You're all opinion, and never try to back anything up. Great way to debate.

Chronz...I don't know if Shard is really our offensive MVP. I know he is way more valuable than his numbers say, but I don't know. Color me skeptical I guess. I know he'll help, but do I think he can singly handedly save us when we are having poor shooting nights? I'm not so sure.

Look, I know we had some injuries (our #1 and #2 PFs). That's fine and all. But it doesn't negate the terrible defense we played, the terrible offense we played, and the fact that Shaq absolutely, 100% did what he was brought into do. I'll pretend like I'm not worried about the first two things...but that third one worries me. Dwight is the reason, more so than our mismatch advantages everyone talks about, that we beat Cleveland in the playoffs. If they can now contain him like Boston and LA did so effectively, I'm worried.

I know it's early, and that I should wait and see how this team plays when healthy, but there are definitely a ton of things we need to work on...or we aren't getting to the Finals.

ManRam
11-12-2009, 11:54 AM
losing by 9 is a beat down? hmm weird....if you look at it, the magic were missing two VERY VERY VERY key parts to the team in lewis and anderson. the cavs shot lights out and played their starters til the buzzer in the 4th quarter, AND ONLY WON BY 9 POINTS!!!! then you take into account that we shot like ****, played like ****, and only lost by 9 POINTS...the cavs played out of their minds, and didn't blow out the magic, that has to tell you something.....

If you watched it...it was an absolute beat down for 3.8 quarters. I know we are missing a starter and his backup. Cleveland is missing their second most important player last year. Don't forget that. We shot like ****, we played like ****, more importantly we defended like ****.

They were up 7 after 1.
They were up 15 after 2.
They were up 20 after 3.
They were up 20 with 6 minutes left in the 4th.

We hit a few desperation shots to make it look close, but it wasn't.

I'm sorry if I look like I'm overreacting...but I'm not the type of fan who is going to be blindly optimistic towards my team. I saw a TON of weaknesses exposed last night. I'm not going to act like that doesn't worry me a little bit. The Magic aren't scary to anyone right now, like that thread suggests. We don't play defense, we're not incredibly physical, and we are streaky shooting. I'm sure that all can change, until it does, I'm not going to sit back and twiddle my fingers pretending like I'm content.

I'm also getting sick of seeing Carter jack up 6-7 threes a game, rarely pass, and rarely penetrate. We need him to be a play maker, not a glorified shot chucker.

arkanian215
11-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Your logic never ceases to amaze me. I don't think I've ever heard anything actually considered a solid argument from you in your life. You're all opinion, and never try to back anything up. Great way to debate.

Chronz...I don't know if Shard is really our offensive MVP. I know he is way more valuable than his numbers say, but I don't know. Color me skeptical I guess. I know he'll help, but do I think he can singly handedly save us when we are having poor shooting nights? I'm not so sure.

Look, I know we had some injuries (our #1 and #2 PFs). That's fine and all. But it doesn't negate the terrible defense we played, the terrible offense we played, and the fact that Shaq absolutely, 100% did what he was brought into do. I'll pretend like I'm not worried about the first two things...but that third one worries me. Dwight is the reason, more so than our mismatch advantages everyone talks about, that we beat Cleveland in the playoffs. If they can now contain him like Boston and LA did so effectively, I'm worried.

I know it's early, and that I should wait and see how this team plays when healthy, but there are definitely a ton of things we need to work on...or we aren't getting to the Finals.

lol all i did was point out what you said before. it wasn't directly related to whatever you said. i was just saying hey, this guy thinks kevin martin is only a jumpshooter. take his words with a spoonful of salt.

Raph12
11-12-2009, 06:30 PM
For the record, Shaq never denied Howard, Howard went 3 for 3, Shaq went 4 for 8, Shaq got Howard into foul trouble and Howard returned the favor. Lebron and Mo got theirs as did Carter, Lewis was someone who couldn't be stopped by anybody last season so it will be interesting when he gets back. People think of this current Magic team as the final product, what they fail to realize is that the Magic are playing horribly right now and still winning games. They were the best defensive team in the league last season, but so far they are ranked 22nd of 30 teams this season. They are nowhere near the potential that they have with this stacked team.

The next game between both teams will be Feb 11th 2010, 44 games later, now that game will look much different, should provide the litmus test both teams are looking for and should be alot of fun to watch.

Chronz
11-12-2009, 06:46 PM
For the record, Shaq never denied Howard, Howard went 3 for 3, Shaq went 4 for 8, Shaq got Howard into foul trouble and Howard returned the favor. Lebron and Mo got theirs as did Carter, Lewis was someone who couldn't be stopped by anybody last season so it will be interesting when he gets back. People think of this current Magic team as the final product, what they fail to realize is that the Magic are playing horribly right now and still winning games. They were the best defensive team in the league last season, but so far they are ranked 22nd of 30 teams this season. They are nowhere near the potential that they have with this stacked team.

The next game between both teams will be Feb 11th 2010, 44 games later, now that game will look much different, should provide the litmus test both teams are looking for and should be alot of fun to watch.

Yea but they got Shaq just to have someone to throw at Dwight. The fact that Dwight got into foul trouble was something that would have never happened had he been guarding Ben Wallace or Z.

But yes this isnt the test people want to make it out to be, but it was an interesting experiment.

Raph12
11-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Yea but they got Shaq just to have someone to throw at Dwight. The fact that Dwight got into foul trouble was something that would have never happened had he been guarding Ben Wallace or Z.

But yes this isnt the test people want to make it out to be, but it was an interesting experiment.

I agree with this 100%, Shaq is a huge upgrade over anyone the Cavs could throw at Howard. Chances are with Lebron in the game, Howard would get into foul trouble anyways, but I get your point.

It will be fun to see how they handle Rashard Lewis, he is the best offensive player Orlando has, not to mention the most consistent. And with 44 more games under their belt, they will have the time they need to connect on both ends.