PDA

View Full Version : Joe Mauer vs Albert Pujols

krisxsong
11-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Who would you rather build your franchise around?

Mauer hit .365 with 28 HR and 96 RBI while missing more than a month. He also plays the most important position, catcher, and just won his second gold glove there. I think he just won his 3rd batting title, and he is only 26. Huge room for more power, and he is also a left handed bat. He is also very fast for a catcher, maybe not a great base runner, but he is fast which is important.

Pujols had another monster year. .327 with 47 HR and 135 RBI. He plays GG caliber defense and is a pretty damn good base runner, just not fast :) He is the best hitter, with Alex Rodriguez coming pretty close, in the past 4-5 years. The only drawback Pujols could even possibly have, is his position. Playing GG caliber defense at 1B is a very valuable asset to have as the Yankees learned this year, but it does not compete with SS, C, 3B, 2B, and CF.

You could argue that Pujols has the better power and RBI numbers, but you could also argue that he has had much better teammates around him. Cuddyer was good, Morneau was hurt again, and Mauer was there with nobody to protect him. Pujols on the other hand had Derosa in front him, and Holliday behind him, then following up with Ludwick.

I think this is a good debate :)

Lincecum4CY
11-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Reallllly tough, i'd go with Mauer hes younger and like you mentioned, he plays C.

bagwell368
11-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Mauer isn't going to last playing near full time catcher. Figure 600 more games at C, and 1100+ at 1B/DH.

Pujols has 6082 PA's in already at 172 OPS+ $229.5M WAR

Mauer has 2994 PA's in already at 136 OPS+ $113.9M WAR

I'd take Mauer going forward, but from start to end - I'd take Albert.

cwilson21
11-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Pretty much bagwell's last sentence. However, who knows how long he'll play at C. If he makes a move to an infield position and Morneau is still a Twin, I think they'd take him to 3B instead.

todu82
11-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Going with Albert Pujols

DieHardColtsfan
11-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Mauer at C and his age is a very attractive pick. Yet his history of injuries make me decide to choose Pujols.

Confusion
11-12-2009, 11:33 AM
I have to go with Albert Pujols. He hits way more home runs and drives in a lot more RBI's. Not to mention, he still has a really good average especially for a power hitter. Mauer is young but Pujols is also. It's close overall but I have to go with Pujols.

krisxsong
11-12-2009, 11:59 AM
I have to go with Albert Pujols. He hits way more home runs and drives in a lot more RBI's. Not to mention, he still has a really good average especially for a power hitter. Mauer is young but Pujols is also. It's close overall but I have to go with Pujols.

Joe Mauer hit 28 HR with 96 RBI while missing more than a month. Don't forget Pujols had Holliday behind him, with Derosa in front of him, while Mauer had Orlando Cabrera in front and Justin Morneau for about 3 months behind him

ShinobiNYC
11-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Joe Mauer hit 28 HR with 96 RBI while missing more than a month. Don't forget Pujols had Holliday behind him, with Derosa in front of him, while Mauer had Orlando Cabrera in front and Justin Morneau for about 3 months behind him

That Morneau guy is pretty good I heard. Pujols had nobodies behind him for most of his career(Ludwick is decent...but come on now) and still had sick numbers.

ShinobiNYC
11-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Rank Player (age) Adjusted OPS+ Bats
1. Babe Ruth+ 207 L
2. Ted Williams+ 191 L
3. Barry Bonds 181 L
4. Lou Gehrig+ 179 L
5. Rogers Hornsby+ 175 R
6. Mickey Mantle+ 172 B
Albert Pujols (29) 172 R
8. Dan Brouthers+ 170 L
Joe Jackson 170 L
10. Ty Cobb+ 168 L
11. Jimmie Foxx+ 163 R
12. Pete Browning 162 R
Mark McGwire 162 R
14. Dave Orr 161 R
15. Stan Musial+ 159 L
16. Hank Greenberg+ 158 R
Johnny Mize+ 158 L
18. Tris Speaker+ 157 L
19. Dick Allen 156 R
Willie Mays+ 156 R
Frank Thomas 156 R
22. Hank Aaron+ 155 R
Joe DiMaggio+ 155 R
Mel Ott+ 155 L
Manny Ramirez (37) 155 R
26. Frank Robinson+ 154 R
27. Roger Connor+ 153 L
28. Ed Delahanty+ 152 R
Charlie Keller 152 L
30. Gavvy Cravath 151 R
31. Charley Jones 150 R
Nap Lajoie+ 150 R
Honus Wagner+ 150 R
34. Jeff Bagwell 149 R
Elmer Flick+ 149 L
Benny Kauff 149 L
Ralph Kiner+ 149 R
38. Harry Heilmann+ 148 R
39. Lance Berkman (33) 147 B
Edgar Martinez 147 R
Willie McCovey+ 147 L
Alex Rodriguez (33) 147 R
Mike Schmidt+ 147 R
Willie Stargell+ 147 L
45. Jim Thome (38) 146 L
Sam Thompson+ 146 L
47. Vladimir Guerrero (34) 145 R
48. Sam Crawford+ 144 L
Mike Donlin 144 L
Hack Wilson+ 144 R

Anytime you are tied with Mantle in a hitting stat you must be pretty good. Mauer is at 136 career OPS+ so far.

VenezuelanMet
11-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Depends, If Mauer's 2009 is going to be his average year I'd take him, easily. If not Pujols.

I had always dream of what a Mauer with power could be. Well, it happened and I'd take it over anyone.

SJ5382
11-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Pujols has a better track record for dominance than Mauer. I'm taking Albert. Very close.

MJ-BULLS
11-13-2009, 02:50 PM
albert winnie the pujols, hes a stud and imo the best hitter in baseball

bagwell368
11-13-2009, 09:20 PM
I went w/ Albert, but I think many of you are missing the massive superiority of Mauer over other catchers with the bat (and his glove is way better then Piazza) for instance.

There are tons of great hitting 1B, and right now Albert projects to be the #2 of all time.

But if Mauer can pull an 8 year run at the average of '06-'09 stats, he'll be the #1 catcher of all time, that's pretty good.

krisxsong
11-13-2009, 09:23 PM
That Morneau guy is pretty good I heard. Pujols had nobodies behind him for most of his career(Ludwick is decent...but come on now) and still had sick numbers.

Again, Morneau did not play for a long time. Pujols, if i recall had Mark Mcguire at times, Ludwick hit like 140 RBI's last year, and now has Matt Holliday.

No doubt that Pujols would still dominate with nobody around him, but just when you compare his RBI numbers to Mauer you have to take that into consideration. And Mauer is just coming into his own, while Pujols has been in the prime of his career for a while now :)

bagwell368
11-13-2009, 09:54 PM
RBI?

I would like people to stop talking this stat, until they present the RBI's as percentage of men in scoring position and also all men on base.

If a guy gets 90 RBI with 1500 men on base, its a lot less impressive IMO then 65 RBi with 450 men on.

BTW - OBP, SLG, RC, and dozens of other stats tell us more about a hitter then RBI's.

krisxsong
11-14-2009, 05:12 AM
RBI?

I would like people to stop talking this stat, until they present the RBI's as percentage of men in scoring position and also all men on base.

If a guy gets 90 RBI with 1500 men on base, its a lot less impressive IMO then 65 RBi with 450 men on.

BTW - OBP, SLG, RC, and dozens of other stats tell us more about a hitter then RBI's.

OBP

Mauer - .444
Pujols - .443

SLG

Mauer - .587
Pujols - 658

K/BB

Mauer - 76/63
Pujols - 115/64 (Keep in mind all of the intentional walks)

They also had a very similar number of at bats

ShinobiNYC
11-14-2009, 06:56 AM
Mauer had one amazing season and 3-4 pretty good ones.

Let's wait to see if Mauer keeps up these kinda 2009 stats the next few years before we compare him to Pujols offensively please.

bagwell368
11-14-2009, 09:02 AM
OBP

Mauer - .444
Pujols - .443

SLG

Mauer - .587
Pujols - 658

K/BB

Mauer - 76/63
Pujols - 115/64 (Keep in mind all of the intentional walks)

They also had a very similar number of at bats

K/BB isn't very important.

OBP is the most important stat you list, and of course we have to bear in mind positional scarcity. 1B/LF/DH/RH are the key hitting positions. C/SS/2B are at the bottom, and its a crucial distinction. Without looking I'd say Pujols's SLG isn't more elite all time at 1B then Mauer's at C. I know for sure Mauer's OBP is better for a C then Pujols's OBP is for a 1B.

C1Bman88
11-14-2009, 01:33 PM
RBI?

Coincidentally, I did just that yesterday (http://triplesalley.wordpress.com/2009/11/13/giving-some-meaning-to-rbi/) for the 2009 season.

Pujols was a +17 RBI guy. Mauer was a +15.

Even when we DO put it into context, though, it still tells us very little.

Hustla23
11-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Mauer doesn't touch Pujols offensively throughout their careers as Shinobi mentioned, but they were pretty damn even this year.

But I think the fact that Mauer is a plus defender at the most valuable position makes him eclipse Albert's value.

If this is the real Mauer, then Mauer by far is the best player in baseball.

MooseWithFleas
11-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Pujols only because the argument for Mauer is that he plays a premium position in catcher, but health is always a huge risk behind the dish. So if I am building a franchise, I will go with the more sure thing.

brandonwarne52
11-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Rank Player (age) Adjusted OPS+ Bats
1. Babe Ruth+ 207 L
2. Ted Williams+ 191 L
3. Barry Bonds 181 L
4. Lou Gehrig+ 179 L
5. Rogers Hornsby+ 175 R
6. Mickey Mantle+ 172 B
Albert Pujols (29) 172 R
8. Dan Brouthers+ 170 L
Joe Jackson 170 L
10. Ty Cobb+ 168 L
11. Jimmie Foxx+ 163 R
12. Pete Browning 162 R
Mark McGwire 162 R
14. Dave Orr 161 R
15. Stan Musial+ 159 L
16. Hank Greenberg+ 158 R
Johnny Mize+ 158 L
18. Tris Speaker+ 157 L
19. Dick Allen 156 R
Willie Mays+ 156 R
Frank Thomas 156 R
22. Hank Aaron+ 155 R
Joe DiMaggio+ 155 R
Mel Ott+ 155 L
Manny Ramirez (37) 155 R
26. Frank Robinson+ 154 R
27. Roger Connor+ 153 L
28. Ed Delahanty+ 152 R
Charlie Keller 152 L
30. Gavvy Cravath 151 R
31. Charley Jones 150 R
Nap Lajoie+ 150 R
Honus Wagner+ 150 R
34. Jeff Bagwell 149 R
Elmer Flick+ 149 L
Benny Kauff 149 L
Ralph Kiner+ 149 R
38. Harry Heilmann+ 148 R
39. Lance Berkman (33) 147 B
Edgar Martinez 147 R
Willie McCovey+ 147 L
Alex Rodriguez (33) 147 R
Mike Schmidt+ 147 R
Willie Stargell+ 147 L
45. Jim Thome (38) 146 L
Sam Thompson+ 146 L
47. Vladimir Guerrero (34) 145 R
48. Sam Crawford+ 144 L
Mike Donlin 144 L
Hack Wilson+ 144 R

Anytime you are tied with Mantle in a hitting stat you must be pretty good. Mauer is at 136 career OPS+ so far.

Mantle's decline is figured in, though.

Kyle man
11-15-2009, 11:18 PM

Pujols did most of his damage before the Cardinals got Holliday. The Cardinals never really clicked on all cylinders with Holliday in the lineup. The reason for the July through mid september streak was because of Holliday solely. Not to mention Pujols slumped the last month of the season. He hasn't hit a HR since september 10th or something like that. We only had Holliday for 2 and a half months, you had Morneau longer if protection is the fight you're looking for. DeRosa was also garbage as a Cardinal.

Again, Morneau did not play for a long time. Pujols, if i recall had Mark Mcguire at times, Ludwick hit like 140 RBI's last year, and now has Matt Holliday.

No doubt that Pujols would still dominate with nobody around him, but just when you compare his RBI numbers to Mauer you have to take that into consideration. And Mauer is just coming into his own, while Pujols has been in the prime of his career for a while now :)

Pujols had Big Mac for 2001. Not even that much, he was injured a lot in his final year. 2002 through 2007 he had Rolen and Edmonds behind him. 2008 he had some nobody named Ryan Ludwick behind him. While he did have a monster year in '08 (Ludwick) that's still not enough production.

In this Argument I'll pick Albert. When you have the chance to see him play everyday, you'll get a better understanding of why is he the best hitter of our generation .

Kyle man
11-15-2009, 11:24 PM
If this is the real Mauer, then Mauer by far is the best player in baseball.

I'm sorry I have a hard time swallowing this concept. Pujols has had problems with his right elbow since 2003, He needs tommy john surgery and he has played through it and still put up insane numbers. Pujols still hits around .330 every year along with monster power numbers. It really doesn't get very much better than that.

flea
11-15-2009, 11:33 PM
The argument that Mauer is more valuable than Pujols because he plays a premium position is misleading.

Yes, it's true that if you have a pretty good 1B and an equally good offensive player at catcher then the catcher is more valuable. The reason for that is because it's easier to find offensive production at 1B. However, you're not talking about pretty good firstbasemen and catchers with Pujols and Mauer. You're talking about Albert Pujols. It's not easy to find his level of production ever, much less within a generation.

By this shoddy argument, people here are saying that they would take a 22 year old Mike Piazza over a 22 year old Ted Williams knowing their career arcs, and that's just terrible baseball management. It's hard to find average hitters at catcher, thus they are more valuable than average hitters at other positions. It's hard to find historic players at any position, so the fact that one plays a more premium position than another is a wash (especially if you consider health risks).

Anybody who pays attention to baseball will take Pujols any day of the week. Now, if Mauer proves that he puts up those kinds of numbers every year like Pujols has, you might have an argument (and can stay healthy and play through injury like Pujols). For now though, just be realistic.

Matt-the-great
11-16-2009, 05:25 AM
surprised this comparison hasnt come up before...it is a little too hard to decide...if Mauer only has 4-5 more years at catcher and can't move to 3b afterwards, then i am inclined to take Pujols...but Mauer is what? 26? and Pujols is 29?

even if Mauer doesnt hit again like he did this year, he still will be a (.330/.400/.520) hitter for another 10 years if he doesnt get injured too badly...

and if you get 5 years of that production while playing solid defense at catcher, it is pretty hard to resist.

Hustla23
11-16-2009, 01:43 PM
I'm sorry I have a hard time swallowing this concept. Pujols has had problems with his right elbow since 2003, He needs tommy john surgery and he has played through it and still put up insane numbers. Pujols still hits around .330 every year along with monster power numbers. It really doesn't get very much better than that.
So you don't think someone who plays plus defense at the most valuable position in baseball while putting up the second highest OPS in the majors is more valuable than Pujols?

Really?

bcoles1029
11-16-2009, 10:05 PM
There both the best player in their respective leagues. But if I had to start a team right now, I would choose Pujols, just because you don't know how Mauer will hold up in the years to come. His offensive numbers are ridiclious as a catcher, and not to mention hes a gold glover.

But I would take Pujols. He could win a gold glove year in and year out, and seems to always be a Triple Crown threat (at least until the middle of the season, and even then he stays up there in all hitting categories). And the dude practically never strikes out.

Can't really go wrong with either one though.

Kyle man
11-16-2009, 10:27 PM
So you don't think someone who plays plus defense at the most valuable position in baseball while putting up the second highest OPS in the majors is more valuable than Pujols?

Really?

No. Mauer is fantastic, don't get me wrong. But it's not like Albert is a black hole at 1st base either. He's an elite fielder at first. I'm not comparing Pujols defensively with Mauer, but face it, in 5 years Mauer is most likely playing a different position. Not to mention Pujols has pretty much been a one man wrecking crew since the 06 WS. Sure the Cardinals have good hitters around Pujols but they aren't enough scary enough to stop the intentional walks. Pujols is the best in baseball without a doubt. Put Pujols and Mauer on the same team and you'll have WS rings coming out of the wazoo. Pujols > Mauer

bagwell368
11-16-2009, 11:44 PM
The argument that Mauer is more valuable than Pujols because he plays a premium position is misleading.

Yes, it's true that if you have a pretty good 1B and an equally good offensive player at catcher then the catcher is more valuable. The reason for that is because it's easier to find offensive production at 1B. However, you're not talking about pretty good firstbasemen and catchers with Pujols and Mauer. You're talking about Albert Pujols. It's not easy to find his level of production ever, much less within a generation.

By this shoddy argument, people here are saying that they would take a 22 year old Mike Piazza over a 22 year old Ted Williams knowing their career arcs, and that's just terrible baseball management. It's hard to find average hitters at catcher, thus they are more valuable than average hitters at other positions. It's hard to find historic players at any position, so the fact that one plays a more premium position than another is a wash (especially if you consider health risks).

Anybody who pays attention to baseball will take Pujols any day of the week. Now, if Mauer proves that he puts up those kinds of numbers every year like Pujols has, you might have an argument (and can stay healthy and play through injury like Pujols). For now though, just be realistic.

There is nothing shoddy about the logic. The way you are trying to demonstrate it is bogus - is shoddy.

I voted for Albert, and as I go back to 1965/66 - I've seen quite a few greats in action: Albert is clearly in the top 2 with Bonds. Mantle, Aaron, FRob, Schmidt, Thomas, Bagwell, Morgan, Mauer - very very nice. Not as good.

Clearly a guy that is even at D at 1B, and a .330/.440/.600 and another guy in the same league at the same time that plays C is .330/.440/.600 and they play the same amount of games and PA's the catcher is of way more value. And I mean WAY.

Not the case here. Mauer is so key as a hitter, that I only see him at catcher 40-60 games a year within 2 years, and mabye 600 more games the rest of his career - simply to improve his longevity. If Mauer ends up with 1250 games at C, and another 1350 at DH/1B at a career .310/.400/.490 vs. 2850 for Pujols at a career .320/.410/.600 - Pujols will have him because of the extra games and the SLG. Cut the games difference to zero, and the SLG advantage for Pujols from .110 to .045, then Mauer would be better because of the games at catcher - where he is quite excellent unlike say Piazza, with the glove.

Pujols has an advantage that he's got more career in the bag then Mauer, and Mauer plays a nastier position for injuries.

flea
11-17-2009, 03:23 AM
You essentially agree with me, I'm not sure what the issue is.

The question wasn't whose 2009 was more valuable, it was who would you want to build your franchise around. I was arguing that any answer that doesn't include "holes" in it is bad because (1) it is treating 2009 Mauer as the norm, which is yet to be proven (2) it ignores the fact that he's been injury-prone while playing an injury-ridden position (3) overstates the position argument: the difference between an average 1B and an average catcher is less than the difference between Pujols and an average or above average hitter of any position.

I concede that if Mauer puts up those same Pujolsian numbers every year without getting injured he will be more valuable in a vacuum, but that type of argument is hard to discuss until it happens. Like you said, he'll probably shift positions or at least DH most of the time in a few years, mitigating his value since he's not saving as many runs on defense. There are just so many problems with talking about producing at that level for a long period of time at the catcher position that it's essentially worthless, not to mention Mauer hasn't even produced enough yet to begin making that argument.

Maybe Pudge is a better comparison, but still, ask anyone in baseball and they'll take an elite defender at a deep position that produces historic numbers every year over a really good, maybe even the best, catcher.

bagwell368
11-17-2009, 01:55 PM
You essentially agree with me, I'm not sure what the issue is.

The question wasn't whose 2009 was more valuable, it was who would you want to build your franchise around. I was arguing that any answer that doesn't include "holes" in it is bad because (1) it is treating 2009 Mauer as the norm, which is yet to be proven (2) it ignores the fact that he's been injury-prone while playing an injury-ridden position (3) overstates the position argument: the difference between an average 1B and an average catcher is less than the difference between Pujols and an average or above average hitter of any position.

I concede that if Mauer puts up those same Pujolsian numbers every year without getting injured he will be more valuable in a vacuum, but that type of argument is hard to discuss until it happens. Like you said, he'll probably shift positions or at least DH most of the time in a few years, mitigating his value since he's not saving as many runs on defense. There are just so many problems with talking about producing at that level for a long period of time at the catcher position that it's essentially worthless, not to mention Mauer hasn't even produced enough yet to begin making that argument.

Maybe Pudge is a better comparison, but still, ask anyone in baseball and they'll take an elite defender at a deep position that produces historic numbers every year over a really good, maybe even the best, catcher.

We arrived at the same conclusion, but by different means. The idea of positional scarcity/value is a solid one, not some fly-by-night SABR idiocy, and I got at least got the wafting odor of that sentiment in your post. Excuse me if I was wrong.

The elite players - Ruth, Mantle, Pujols, Wagner, Williams, Musial have (or will have) such long careers at such a level to outstrip the elite at a position that simply cannot produce anyone to stand next to them.

Interestingly, Pujols may end up being the #2 1B of all time, and Mauer the #1 catcher, and still have Mauer be behind Pujols due to the lack of games he can/will play.

Hustla23
11-17-2009, 02:19 PM
No. Mauer is fantastic, don't get me wrong. But it's not like Albert is a black hole at 1st base either. He's an elite fielder at first. I'm not comparing Pujols defensively with Mauer, but face it, in 5 years Mauer is most likely playing a different position. Not to mention Pujols has pretty much been a one man wrecking crew since the 06 WS. Sure the Cardinals have good hitters around Pujols but they aren't enough scary enough to stop the intentional walks. Pujols is the best in baseball without a doubt. Put Pujols and Mauer on the same team and you'll have WS rings coming out of the wazoo. Pujols > Mauer
I think it's without question that as of now, Mauer is more "valuable".

Definitely if you look at the big picture, i.e. their entire careers , then it's Pujols without a question.

But as of now, and not the past or the future, Mauer is more valuable.

flea
11-17-2009, 02:31 PM
No I totally buy the positional value argument, just not so much when you talk about historic players. Or at least it's pretty low on my list of concerns, since games played, defense at respective position, and longevity are higher concerns when trying to squeeze the most value out of your position player.

The interesting discussion would be who would be more valuable, A-Rod or Pujols if A-Rod had stayed at SS. I'd still say Pujols since he's been worth more since 2002 (when Fangraphs starts WAR) than A-Rod who was in his prime. But who knows, the defensive numbers might be different if A-Rod were still playing at his natural position. All I know is that it's going to be fun watching Pujols for the next 4 or 5 years while he makes his case for best hitter.

bagwell368
11-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Yes, historic hitter exceed the norms by so much that you have to adjust the view.

When I look at Pujols he reminds me of what Musial must have looked like in his prime - with an extra 16 HR's a year, and less 3B's.

I have a pretty steep bias against pre-1930 hitters personally. I'd say off the top of my head that on the field with 2000 era rules and equipment that only Ted and Bonds would be greater, and that Mantle, Musial, and Gehrig if you take him (I do) might be a close comp. And that those 6 would sit over anyone and everyone (not considering position, just hitting). Over Mays, Thomas, DiMaggio, Manny, FRob, etc.

Fancy company indeed.

ZHAKIDD532
11-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Where ever Mauer ends up (I hope he stays in Minnesota), if he can be on a team where he doesn't have to catch 150 games a year, and he can play some 1B or DH to keep him rested and able to play C for the majority of the time for longer, he's going to go down as one of the best C's ever. I think I'd take him.

atl_braves_fan
12-08-2009, 07:18 PM

Mauer had Morneau for 72 more games than Pujols had Holliday (and has had him for his entire career). Really the only argument (and it is a compelling argument, I admit) is the value of his position - however, I would still take Pujols as he will likely last longer at 1B than Mauer will at C.

yanks19791024
12-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Albert Pujols

RatedRKO
12-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Mauer because that kind of production at C is rare

CharlesW
12-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Albert Pujols.