PDA

View Full Version : Will it ever end?

davg31
11-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Baseball being America's true past-time has been played at the professional level for around 150 years. So I have a question that obviously nobody has the answer to but everyones opinion will be interesting.

Will MLB ever fold? How could such a thing ever happen? Will any of the other top sports such as football, hockey or basketball suffer?

MooseWithFleas
11-11-2009, 08:13 PM

Jimmy Shine
11-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Its ended already. What we have now is something new entirely. Call it Moneyball if you like.

donnie23
11-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Baseball is the greatest team sport man has ever created, it will survive everything!

unwantedplayer
11-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Baseball is the greatest team sport man has ever created, it will survive everything!

not steroids

vladdy#27
11-11-2009, 08:59 PM
it survived steroids what are you talking about

commonsense12
11-11-2009, 09:03 PM

Football is bigger in the US
Soccer is bigger Worldwide
Hockey is a better team Sport

Baseball is full of a bunch of whiny sissys who are all about themselves, there is no team involved

donnie23
11-11-2009, 09:03 PM
not steroids

You're right steroids have ruined it! Revenue went up in the middle of an economic depression. Damn you steroids!

donnie23
11-11-2009, 09:04 PM

Baseball is full of a bunch of whiny sissys who are all about themselves, there is no team involved

Still a better game then all of them put together!

davg31
11-11-2009, 09:06 PM

Baseball has more history.

oak2455
11-11-2009, 09:07 PM

Hockey:confused::confused::confused::confused::con fused::confused::confused: BLOWS

marlinsfan24
11-11-2009, 09:11 PM

My guess is that you don't even watch baseball

Buckwheat
11-11-2009, 09:13 PM
The Yankees will buy every team and just win automatically every year. That's when it'll officially decline and eventually end.

donnie23
11-11-2009, 09:16 PM
The Yankees will buy every team and just win automatically every year. That's when it'll officially decline and eventually end.

Boo ****ing who!

DaPrimeTime21
11-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Baseball has more history.

Soccer has a huge history world wide. :confused:

donnie23
11-11-2009, 09:21 PM

So does famine! This is America god damnit!

Zaunnie
11-11-2009, 09:22 PM
it will evolve into blernsball by the 31st century.

Jimmy Shine
11-11-2009, 09:25 PM
So does famine!

I disagree with you on this issue but damn, that was funny.

Buckwheat
11-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Boo ****ing who!

Yes, I'm crying.. even though I was rooting for the Yankees to win in the World Series. Take a joke..

smith&wesson
11-11-2009, 09:27 PM
baseball is americas favourite "passtime" not sport.

its in the same class as golf, bowling, darts, pool, fishing,

i mean for god sakes they wear tucked in shirts with belts on. lol
this is just a joke.

ciaban
11-11-2009, 09:30 PM
one of the big things baseball has going for it is the fact that it dosent have to compete with any other sport durring the summer, and when the other major sport start gearing up, baseball hits the postseason!

ciaban
11-11-2009, 09:35 PM
So does famine! This is America god damnit!
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: I hope to god your not Jeter behind that computer screen but THANK YOU so much for that!

it will evolve into blernsball by the 31st century.

thank you very much for the futurerama quote

donnie23
11-11-2009, 09:41 PM
baseball is americas favourite "passtime" not sport.

its in the same class as golf, bowling, darts, pool, fishing,

i mean for god sakes they wear tucked in shirts with belts on. lol
this is just a joke.

Baseball is life, it takes the perfect blend of skill and luck. Football is violent and great for commercials but it is a stupid game. Baseball will always be America and America will always be baseball. You'll see the NFL is a dying product. Baseball has endured fads before and it will do it again. Kids don't dream about being an offensive lineman or a nose tackle, they dream about hitting a HR off of Josh Beckett. Baseball is the only game where the defense controls the action. It is poetry without the gayness!

ciaban
11-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Baseball is life, it takes the perfect blend of skill and luck. Football is violent and great for commercials but it is a stupid game. Baseball will always be America and America will always be baseball. You'll see the NFL is a dying product. Baseball has endured fads before and it will do it again. Kids don't dream about being an offensive lineman or a nose tackle, they dream about hitting a HR off of Josh Beckett. Baseball is the only game where the defense controls the action. It is poetry without the gayness!

donnie ur killing me, stop it, or ill forrget your a yanks fan

RamsfanNY
11-11-2009, 10:06 PM
If it were to ever happen, it wouldn't be in this or many generations after this, so were good. ;)

donnie23
11-11-2009, 10:07 PM
donnie ur killing me, stop it, or ill forrget your a yanks fan

That's my only fault, if you forget that then I'm perfect and the world can't handle a perfect me.

davg31
11-11-2009, 10:50 PM

Of course it does. Im from a place where football(soccer) is THE sport but which other sport has a player like Babe Ruth that everyone in the world has heard of? Could anyone here name a footballer in the 1920s without having to look it up that everyone in the world knows?

Football is worldwide and doesn't have the same issues as the US sports. Take hockey for example, the union has enough pull that it can just cancel or not play a season. If that happened with say the Premier League then the games would still continue with just lesser or amatuer players if need be.

I think that for the above reasons that certain US sports could come under a threat of disbanding their top professional leagues. The NHL or NFL would probably be most likely for that to happen. I mean certain NHL stars are already skipping off to Russia to play in the league over there.

Jamiecballer
11-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Boo ****ing who!

it's boo hoo. you're not actually boo-ing somebody.

donnie23
11-11-2009, 11:05 PM
it's boo hoo. you're not actually boo-ing somebody.

Good call.

AllTheWay
11-11-2009, 11:23 PM

You're not very smart, are you? :)

misterd
11-11-2009, 11:34 PM
The heat generated by fusing hydrogen atoms into helium creates an outward pressure that prevents gravity from collapsing the sun in on itself. While the sun contains 99.99% of the mass of the entire solar system, most of it hydrogen, at some point, roughly 4 billion years from now, it will run out of its fuel. This will cause the sun to cool, and lose its fight with gravity.

As the sun collapses, the resulting heat and pressure will allow the sun to begin fusing helium atoms. Once this begins, the cascade reaction will dramatically raise the core temperatures, causing the sun to rapidly expand into a red giant. At this point, the sun's surface will either come close enough to the Earth to burn it to a cinder, or simply swallow it whole.

Either way, the Earth is screwed.

It is safe to assume that MLB, if it still exists at that point, will also end.

bagwell368
11-11-2009, 11:46 PM
According to a Star Trek: the Next Generation baseball stops being played in the 23rd century, so that's what I'll say.

metsfan316
11-11-2009, 11:49 PM

Here's 2 good questions for you:
If football is bigger in the US than baseball, then y do baseball players make a hell of alot more money than football players?
Who in the NFL makes 29 mil a year like A-Rod does?

Baseball is the best sport ever created and the hardest to play.

abe_froman
11-12-2009, 03:11 AM
If football is bigger in the US than baseball, then y do baseball players make a hell of alot more money than football players?

your logic amazes me..:facepalm:

but as to the topic.as we will keep getting fatter and lazier mlb will be forced to disband as they will be unable to field teams,as no one will know how to play(as we cant bring ourselves to go outside to actually try and play and thus learn how to,in the first place)

GoatMilk
11-12-2009, 03:15 AM
baseball will end when Derek Jeter says so.

mystro810
11-12-2009, 03:26 AM
Didnt hockey already end?

Every from of entertainment will end in 2012. there may be humans left on earth but there wont be sports or tv or rockstars or anything that we know and love and take for granted today.we had a good run though didnt we? us humans.... At least the when the lights go out the Yanks will be the best franchise in human history. hell mankind could end in 3012 and the Yanks would still probably have the most titles. If you pro-rate it They would have won about 275 Championships

davg31
11-12-2009, 08:56 AM
The heat generated by fusing hydrogen atoms into helium creates an outward pressure that prevents gravity from collapsing the sun in on itself. While the sun contains 99.99% of the mass of the entire solar system, most of it hydrogen, at some point, roughly 4 billion years from now, it will run out of its fuel. This will cause the sun to cool, and lose its fight with gravity.

As the sun collapses, the resulting heat and pressure will allow the sun to begin fusing helium atoms. Once this begins, the cascade reaction will dramatically raise the core temperatures, causing the sun to rapidly expand into a red giant. At this point, the sun's surface will either come close enough to the Earth to burn it to a cinder, or simply swallow it whole.

I hope that by this time we all have spaceships that can travel at lightspeed and we have a 7 foot tall furry pet that goes "arrrgh"

todu82
11-12-2009, 09:35 AM
I doubt you'll ever see baseball fold, it may not be as interesting to watch as the other 3 major pro sports leagues but it still has a really strong fanbase.

phillyeaglesman
11-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Still a better game then all of them put together!

i really don't think you're in a good state of mind to answer this question. think if your team didn't just win a championship.

i've said it before i'm gonna say it again: there needs to be some type of restriction on salaries, because it's gonna get to the point where players are gonna be askin for $50 million a year, or something that owners actually won't be able to pay. it keeps the average players from scoring big in FA and the great players from scoring too big.

and don't give me soccer as an argument cuz that's a worldwide phenomenon.

Steelers>NFL
11-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Football is the greatest American sport. Hands down!!!

DJYankee
11-12-2009, 09:55 AM
I think baseball will never fold!!!!!

DJYankee
11-12-2009, 10:06 AM

They also said something about the Y2K... Still alive nine years later :eyebrow:

Ron!n
11-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Of course it does. Im from a place where football(soccer) is THE sport but which other sport has a player like Babe Ruth that everyone in the world has heard of? Could anyone here name a footballer in the 1920s without having to look it up that everyone in the world knows?

Football is worldwide and doesn't have the same issues as the US sports. Take hockey for example, the union has enough pull that it can just cancel or not play a season. If that happened with say the Premier League then the games would still continue with just lesser or amatuer players if need be.

I think that for the above reasons that certain US sports could come under a threat of disbanding their top professional leagues. The NHL or NFL would probably be most likely for that to happen. I mean certain NHL stars are already skipping off to Russia to play in the league over there.

I wouldnt say that Babe Ruth is known worldwide. Try going to Asia or Africa and im pretty sure they wont know him.
On the other hand pretty much everyone in the world has heard of Pele. (1960 instead of 1920, but taking into account the difference in when organized soccer came about compared to the MLB)

Another point is that soccer is a worldwide sport compared to baseball which was basically in the US and Japan till recent influxes in other countries. So you have a whole lot of players, a whole ton of teams making it quite a bit different to compare history.

YankeeFan28
11-12-2009, 10:57 AM
i really don't think you're in a good state of mind to answer this question. think if your team didn't just win a championship.

i've said it before i'm gonna say it again: there needs to be some type of restriction on salaries, because it's gonna get to the point where players are gonna be askin for $50 million a year, or something that owners actually won't be able to pay. it keeps the average players from scoring big in FA and the great players from scoring too big.

and don't give me soccer as an argument cuz that's a worldwide phenomenon.
The figures players are asking for is an amount most owners CAN pay. Players deserve their fair share of the revenue they help generate.

GHGHCP
11-12-2009, 11:00 AM

The Earth will be burned up far before we are swallowed up by the Sun. Current est. is about 1 billion years or so. I doubt we exist as a species by that time anyway. :D

I hope that by this time we all have spaceships that can travel at lightspeed and we have a 7 foot tall furry pet that goes "arrrgh"

Probably won't be able to travel at light-speed, the whole needing a ship to handle that speed and needing infinite energy and all among other things. :D If we do eventually become a spacefaring species it would have to be done with huge ships loaded with supplies prepared to last hundreds of thousands of years just to make it to the nearest stars.

They also said something about the Y2K... Still alive nine years later :eyebrow:

"They" weren't scientist with things like evidence. :D

Confusion
11-12-2009, 11:01 AM
I doubt it will fold any time soon.

misterd
11-12-2009, 11:21 AM

I am more than willing to meet with you in four billion years to discuss the accuracy of my prediction.

donnie23
11-12-2009, 12:19 PM
I am more than willing to meet with you in four billion years to discuss the accuracy of my prediction.

In 4 billion years my 401(k) will be worth double what it is today!

pedrofan45
11-12-2009, 12:30 PM
i feel as if it keeps going as it's going, fans will eventually stop watching because of the dominance the yankees have in the market, just my take

dinopap
11-12-2009, 12:32 PM
baseball fold???? there might not be a true mlb in 50 years... but an international league is coming.... baseball is gaining revenue in the states despite less kids playing it. Latin Amer. has soccer w/ baseball not too far behind. We know what is going on in Japan. Oh, then there's China; theyre learning the game pretty quickly.... baseball will be fine

Driven
11-12-2009, 12:45 PM
When I get enough money I'm going to buy the MLB and change all the rules and **** and make it extreme baseball, not this ***** ****. No helmets, no catcher protection. Then I'm going to get sued and I will fold the league.

So yes.

donnie23
11-12-2009, 12:46 PM
i feel as if it keeps going as it's going, fans will eventually stop watching because of the dominance the yankees have in the market, just my take

That's funny because from a revenue standpoint no team brings more revenue to the league, so somebody must be watching the Yankees. Check the ratings this year, baseball is quite happy with the Yankees.

infernoscurse
11-12-2009, 12:50 PM
when the yankees win 20 straight WS because they get halladay and king felix and holliday and curtis granderson and joakim soria and people arround the world hate it so much that baseball gets only played in NY

misterd
11-12-2009, 03:41 PM
when the yankees win 20 straight WS because they get halladay and king felix and holliday and curtis granderson and joakim soria and people arround the world hate it so much that baseball gets only played in NY

1. That only works if those players play for 20 years at or near their current level of ability.

2. I hope those who believe in their souls that the Yankees are getting all those players are willing to admit they were wrong, and be more reasonable in their future predictions.

3. I suspect #1 is more likely to come true than #2.

Big Zo
11-12-2009, 03:57 PM

I bet if it was the Giants or Jets buying championships, you'd be singing a different tune...

donnie23
11-12-2009, 04:18 PM
I bet if it was the Giants or Jets buying championships, you'd be singing a different tune...

I like how you think this statement somehow reflects poorly on anyone but you. :)

davg31
11-12-2009, 06:11 PM
I wouldnt say that Babe Ruth is known worldwide. Try going to Asia or Africa and im pretty sure they wont know him.
On the other hand pretty much everyone in the world has heard of Pele. (1960 instead of 1920, but taking into account the difference in when organized soccer came about compared to the MLB)

Another point is that soccer is a worldwide sport compared to baseball which was basically in the US and Japan till recent influxes in other countries. So you have a whole lot of players, a whole ton of teams making it quite a bit different to compare history.

First football team was Notts County in 1862 and I think the football league formed in 1888 or '89(off of the top of my head) so football has been around as long as baseball. Baseball had its first superstar before football.

I will say that I agree that Pele is a bigger name but not from the time period I was talking about. I would probably also say that David Beckham is worldwide known

Jimmy Shine
11-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Baseball wont end but we all got the first whiff of contraction a few years ago and i think we're headed towards that. As the payroll disparities continue to increase, smaller fan bases will simply not believe their team has a competitive chance and simply stay home. Initially teams will try moving to other cities, but there simply arent 30 markets in the country large enough to stay competitive once the norm for the high spenders inches towards the 250 mil mark. I give it 20 years, tops.

rocowear21
11-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Baseball will start to fold when players start getting 600 million dollar contracts.

rocowear21
11-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Oh also when fans stop paying large amounts of money for seats. The old timers (as in guys that have been going to games for 40 years are starting to well die off) People in there 20s and 30s cant afford to pay that much money to go to games.

rocowear21
11-12-2009, 07:22 PM
David beckham is world wide known for the fact that he got 200 million dollars to come to america lol.

FLYER-FAN
11-12-2009, 07:24 PM

i for one totally agree,this is just getting rediculous how the new york yankees organization will just go out and buy championships this needs to be stopped or baseball will just become not even fun to watch or a complete joke.every year as soon as a good free agent becomes available the yankees just go and out bid everyone for him which then sets a whole new market for that position or for that level of player and you wonder why baseball players are so over paid? blame the yankees organization they started the payroll snowball affect in mlb.pretty soon one by one teams like the pittsburgh pirates will be forced to fold because of how much bench players will soon be making all because of the yankee organization and their greed !!

11-12-2009, 07:31 PM
i for one totally agree,this is just getting rediculous how the new york yankees organization will just go out and buy championships this needs to be stopped or baseball will just become not even fun to watch or a complete joke.every year as soon as a good free agent becomes available the yankees just go and out bid everyone for him which then sets a whole new market for that position or for that level of player and you wonder why baseball players are so over paid? blame the yankees organization they started the payroll snowball affect in mlb.pretty soon one by one teams like the pittsburgh pirates will be forced to fold because of how much bench players will soon be making all because of the yankee organization and their greed !!

:violin: The Phillies lost and your still depressed, get over it already.

trifive67
11-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Baseball likely will fold at some point in time, depends on how long this country survives. The first indications of no more mlb will be when we see records become meaningless with constant rule changes, cheating, etc. Hall of Fame inductions will become less and less deserved, and the great history of baseball will be greatly diminished. As people realize that the mlb lacks integrity, its fan base will shrink, and teams will fold. The Yankees will monopolize the league, there will be noone left to play, and the government will step in and have to break up the Yankees franchise. Hopefully then, someone will realize a salary cap is necessary.

infernoscurse
11-12-2009, 08:11 PM
1. That only works if those players play for 20 years at or near their current level of ability.

2. I hope those who believe in their souls that the Yankees are getting all those players are willing to admit they were wrong, and be more reasonable in their future predictions.

3. I suspect #1 is more likely to come true than #2.

the thing is since the yanks will have an allstar at every position in 10 years they wont sign anybody else and invest their money buying super draft picks from venezuela, dominican republic, japan and they will play in the minors getting ready for when those other 10 year guys get old they come up and everyone will say OHHh damn you yankees! and we will all laugh at psd and our childrens children will laugh at psd at everyone for making 30 threads about yankee hate

davg31
11-12-2009, 11:00 PM

Here we go again with this crap. Tell me a team in the history of professional sports that hasn't bought a championship technically?

The Yankees make the most money so they put the most money into their team to keep the revenues up. Smart business and nothing in the rules prevents them from doing it. We pay high luxury tax already.

This is the first time we have won a championship in 9 years so we hardly have a dynasty going. If you want to cry about unfairness then get into the AL/NL arguement.

Teams like the Pirates are where they are because they choose to trade their best players away and poor scouting has resulted in them losing for so long. Teams like the Rays, Rockies and Marlins proved that you can be competitive on a small budget.

pedrofan45
11-12-2009, 11:09 PM
Do yankee fans realize that you guys are the only ones defending the payroll? you're saying, why can't you guys be like us? owners have the money... well no, they can't be like the yankees, teams like the pirates and royals can't afford a 200 million dollar payroll.. the only reason you guys are defending this is because the yankees are your team, if you were a fan of any other team you'd be saying the same stuff as everyone else... FACE IT, you guys are jokes, when you lose, you're the laughing stocks of the league, when you win, who the **** cares? -cool you can spend 210 million dollars and win a championship, big Whoop

michigansports8
11-12-2009, 11:26 PM
Soccer wow what a great sport! You kick a ball into a net what diverse game! And then you even have to kick the ball away. People I was an all star In both sports and baseball is simply more beautiful and classic there's no fans like baseball fans believe of or not idfc because I do.

michigansports8
11-12-2009, 11:37 PM
LOL poetrry without the gayness donnie you're a riot. I agree we've never needed baseball more than now. I've got a feeling a large wars ahead.

misterd
11-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Here we go again with this crap. Tell me a team in the history of professional sports that hasn't bought a championship technically?

The Yankees make the most money so they put the most money into their team to keep the revenues up. Smart business and nothing in the rules prevents them from doing it. We pay high luxury tax already.

This is the first time we have won a championship in 9 years so we hardly have a dynasty going. If you want to cry about unfairness then get into the AL/NL arguement.

Teams like the Pirates are where they are because they choose to trade their best players away and poor scouting has resulted in them losing for so long. Teams like the Rays, Rockies and Marlins proved that you can be competitive on a small budget.

And the last 4 championships were hardly "bought". The Yanks didn't have the highest payroll in 96 or 98. They moved to the #1 slot in 99 and 00 mostly because they had to pay those players who had just won them two rings.

However, while you cannot, and the Yankees did not, buy a championship, a large payroll makes it far easier to buy a competitive team, and have a higher chance of making the playoffs year after year.

michigansports8
11-12-2009, 11:44 PM
You see everything will have a lay off soon. For 3 years everything will hut down mlb NBA NHL NFL ect. You see I've seen it in a dream us and Russia are the first to create rays possible of moveing an imtore planet. The moons falls out of place heads for earth but we and Russia save it and live peace eating donuts together. And then we save us from the son with gods golden piss. Yes very logical just like the salary cap.

mystro810
11-13-2009, 02:06 AM
Do yankee fans realize that you guys are the only ones defending the payroll? you're saying, why can't you guys be like us? owners have the money... well no, they can't be like the yankees, teams like the pirates and royals can't afford a 200 million dollar payroll.. the only reason you guys are defending this is because the yankees are your team, if you were a fan of any other team you'd be saying the same stuff as everyone else... FACE IT, you guys are jokes, when you lose, you're the laughing stocks of the league, when you win, who the **** cares? -cool you can spend 210 million dollars and win a championship, big Whoop

Red Sox fans that know what they are talking about dont cry about the payroll of the Yankees. I bet you think that the Yankees have the richest owner(s) in baseball dont you? You think that because you do not know of which you speak.... FACE IT the only reason people cry about the Yankees payroll is because they are jealous. People wish they had an ownership that cared as much about winning as fans do. They wish that their favorite team reinvested the fan's money back onto the field for the fans to enjoy

sexicano31
11-13-2009, 02:15 AM
Soccer :facepalm: :laugh::facepalm: :laugh::facepalm: :laugh::facepalm: :laugh::facepalm: :laugh::facepalm: :laugh::facepalm: :laugh::facepalm: :laugh::facepalm: :laugh::facepalm: :laugh:

davg31
11-13-2009, 07:44 AM

Yes because every other fan in the league are exact clones of each other and can't think for themselves.

A team like the Pirates could exceed $100M payroll no problem. They play in a city that bleeds sports and have a long long history. If they got their act together then they could do well.

I do admit that having a large payroll helps but the reason we have it is down to being successful in the late 90s with our young players who we now have to pay big $$$.

DasBoot
11-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Soccer :facepalm: :laugh::facepalm: :laugh::facepalm: :laugh::facepalm: :laugh::facepalm: :laugh::facepalm: :laugh::facepalm: :laugh::facepalm: :laugh::facepalm: :laugh::facepalm: :laugh:

haha, Joe Rogan put it best: "We evolved because of opposable thumbs... PICK UP THE DAMN BALL!!! I refuse to watch a bunch of guys in short shorts run around chasing a ball rolling on the ground. Let's put it this way, you have a 6 foot 4 dude standing on a mound of dirt hurling a ball 95 mph at another dude with a 2 by 4 trying to hit it. He has a quarter of a second to react. Let's not forget the 50 thousand fans screaming, cameras going off and the blonde behind the left field wall flashing her t**ies."

awww looks like somebody's got a case of the Mondays... except 8 days later.

Ron!n
11-13-2009, 09:45 AM
First football team was Notts County in 1862 and I think the football league formed in 1888 or '89(off of the top of my head) so football has been around as long as baseball. Baseball had its first superstar before football.

I will say that I agree that Pele is a bigger name but not from the time period I was talking about. I would probably also say that David Beckham is worldwide known

I was speaking mainly about FIFA which was first formed in 1910 or something like that.

Also the fact that soccer is so spread out across the world makes keeping history as a whole quite a bit harder.

But yeah baseball's roots are probably a bit deeper than soccer until recent years where soccer has started to gain some direction.

And you all idiots harping about soccer, thats exactly what the rest of the world thinks about American Football.

ricomactaco
11-13-2009, 10:15 AM
The figures players are asking for is an amount most owners CAN pay. Players deserve their fair share of the revenue they help generate.

You couldn't be a Yankee fan could you?

ricomactaco
11-13-2009, 10:19 AM

It is becoming a joke I agree. 2011 we can hope baseball will be repaired. Of most Yankee fans will disagree.

thefeckcampaign
11-13-2009, 10:37 AM
So does famine! This is America god damnit!To quote Ken Burn's Baseball series: "There are 3 things America is going to be remembered for: The Constitution, Jazz music and Baseball."

I'd have to agree.

Rylinkus
11-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Wow, another thread turned into a Yankees buy their championships thread. :rolleyes:

Fred
11-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Wow, another thread turned into a Yankees buy their championships thread. :rolleyes:

well let's look at the stats:

2008 - no playoffs
2008 off season - spend $450m (ish)
2009 - championship; your WS first two starters and your 3rd in the batting order 1st baseman who led the league in HR's....

yeah, you didn't buy a thing....

Rylinkus
11-13-2009, 01:30 PM

2008 - no playoffs
2009 - championship; your WS first two starters and your 3rd in the batting order 1st baseman who led the league in HR's....

My point is that every thread is getting horribly offtopic or is nothing more than a tongue in cheek attempt to further attack NY.

Jimmy Shine
11-13-2009, 02:18 PM
My point is that every thread is getting horribly offtopic or is nothing more than a tongue in cheek attempt to further attack NY.

Sorry, but discussing the end of baseball without talking about the Yankees is like discussing an avalanche without mentioning the snow.

donnie23
11-13-2009, 02:23 PM

2008 - no playoffs

All without increasing payroll. Unlike Philadelphia, who did increase their payroll, I guess had you won you would have bought your championship too? Your first 2 starters weren't even on your opening day roster.

Jimmy Shine
11-13-2009, 02:27 PM
All without increasing payroll.

Yes, the Yanks are to be commended for holding tight at the 200 million mark. :)

donnie23
11-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Yes, the Yanks are to be commended for holding tight at the 200 million mark. :)

It's called fiscal conservatism, we learned it from congress. :)

FLYER-FAN
11-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Sorry, but discussing the end of baseball without talking about the Yankees is like discussing an avalanche without mentioning the snow.

ha-ha-ha ,good one.

FLYER-FAN
11-13-2009, 03:41 PM
It's called fiscal conservatism, we learned it from congress. :)

with what the yankees are and have been doing over paying for players weather it be to keep them under contract or through free agency year after year they continue to just over pay these players by offering whomever they want 25%+ more then the last offer which causes a ripple effect,i mean each time they over pay a player by the large amount that they do they set a new standard in what the next player or next position player will expect to be paid all be it a starting pitcher,outfielder etc... which means any other team looking to fill a void with a quality player now has to pay above & beyound whatever the yankees just paid which causes a snowball effect in payroll and so now the payroll standard is set for such a player so now the only team in the market for the best players are the only team with the biggest revenue which is the same team who set the price for all the players to be paid in the first place,its unfair,its a pretty smart scam,its also a conflict of interest in the mlb the way they are going about it and if nothing changes it will also eventually doom baseball to some degree..

donnie23
11-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Eh, but the Yankees are also what currently drives baseball from a revenue standpoint. You can't have it both ways.

davg31
11-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Eh, but the Yankees are also what currently drives baseball from a revenue standpoint. You can't have it both ways.

Very good point. Teams either sell out or almost sell out everytime the Yankees come to town and all of these teams complain when we spend, yet we get ***** in their seats.

sep11ie
11-14-2009, 01:04 PM

Stop crying, comes with the territory

whitesoxfan83
11-14-2009, 11:09 PM
It would be my guess America or the World would have to be ending and Baseball would just go with it.

Or the league would have to go bankrupt in which case there would probably be so few baseball fans left it wouldnt matter that it was folding, it would die a slow death like boxing. One day it would just be gone and no one would really care.

Seamhead
11-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Soccer wow what a great sport! You kick a ball into a net what diverse game! And then you even have to kick the ball away. People I was an all star In both sports and baseball is simply more beautiful and classic there's no fans like baseball fans believe of or not idfc because I do.

You do realize you can simplify every sport and make it sound really stupid, right? In fact, it works the best with baseball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om_yq4L3M_I

:laugh2:

ILikeThePhils
11-15-2009, 04:14 PM
People that don't like baseball are usually morons. Baseball is the thinking man's game and if you grow up watching football you'll never get it because baseball goes deeper than just big hits.

hoggin88
11-15-2009, 04:57 PM
People that don't like baseball are usually morons. Baseball is the thinking man's game and if you grow up watching football you'll never get it because baseball goes deeper than just big hits.

Ok, I'm primarily a baseball fan but I would say it's pretty obvious that football is more complex. I go to a DIII college and I can't believe the size of the playbook those guys have to memorize. I can't imagine what it's like for an NFL team.

To say that football is nothing but big hits is just ignorance to the game.

YankeeFan28
11-15-2009, 05:00 PM
with what the yankees are and have been doing over paying for players weather it be to keep them under contract or through free agency year after year they continue to just over pay these players by offering whomever they want 25%+ more then the last offer which causes a ripple effect,i mean each time they over pay a player by the large amount that they do they set a new standard in what the next player or next position player will expect to be paid all be it a starting pitcher,outfielder etc... which means any other team looking to fill a void with a quality player now has to pay above & beyound whatever the yankees just paid which causes a snowball effect in payroll and so now the payroll standard is set for such a player so now the only team in the market for the best players are the only team with the biggest revenue which is the same team who set the price for all the players to be paid in the first place,its unfair,its a pretty smart scam,its also a conflict of interest in the mlb the way they are going about it and if nothing changes it will also eventually doom baseball to some degree..
Which of these salaries started this snow ball effect you speak of?

YankeeFan28
11-15-2009, 05:01 PM
You couldn't be a Yankee fan could you?

Please look up the percentage of revenue players are getting.

It has nothing to do with me being a Yankees fan.

ILikeThePhils
11-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Ok, I'm primarily a baseball fan but I would say it's pretty obvious that football is more complex. I go to a DIII college and I can't believe the size of the playbook those guys have to memorize. I can't imagine what it's like for an NFL team.

To say that football is nothing but big hits is just ignorance to the game.

Baseball is pretty complex as well. My boy's in High School and he has to memorize 15 signs from his 3rd base coach.

Also, maybe the fact that I'm an Eagles fan makes football hard to watch :p

jlohm1
11-15-2009, 06:03 PM
it will never end

zambo4president
11-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Maybe some lockout in the future. But I really don't see it happening.

MnTwins
11-15-2009, 10:44 PM

I LOVE BASEBALL, although I think it might be a tiny bit harder to go on ice with a 1/4 inch of steel, a six foot stick, and pancake for a ball?