PDA

View Full Version : Roy Halladay for Cole Hamels Trade Coming?? Update: Amaro denies

Mile High Champ
11-11-2009, 03:45 PM
The future of Roy Halladay in Toronto was a hot button topic at the annual baseball general manager meeting in Chicago.

While no major trades are expected at the shorter-than-usual annual meeting, Halladay was mentioned in potential winter moves to either New York or Philadelphia. The Blue Jays ace finished the 2009 season with a record of 17-10 and a 2.79 ERA.

Philadelphia reached the World Series in consecutive years, but failed to repeat as champions when the Yankees dethroned them in six games. One report out of Philadelphia linked 2008 World Series MVP Cole Hamels as a player that would head to Toronto. Hamels went 10-11 in 2009, with a 4.32 ERA and a 1.29 WHIP. In 193 innings, he struck out 168 batters and walked 43.

Hamels was the centre of controversy during the World Series after his "I can't wait for it to end" comments were interpreted as throwing in the towel

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2009/11/11/halladay_trade_rumours/#

Your Thoughts?

YankeeFan28
11-11-2009, 03:48 PM
That would be ridiculous if the Phils traded Hamels for Halladay...

Tragedy
11-11-2009, 03:50 PM
I'd have to LOL the Phillies if they do that.

Why trade away a guy that has shown flashes of being a leagues top pitcher (with his age) for a guy who is over 30 and doesn't have 10+ years left in him the way that Cole does?

Would be a bad idea, but in the short term, makes the Phillies a better team.

Dark Donnie
11-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Amaro Denies Hamels for Halladay (http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20091111_On_Baseball__Amaro_denies_Hamels_trade_sp eculation.html)

"We have no thoughts of trading Cole Hamels," Amaro said at baseball's general managers meetings yesterday. "I don't know where those rumors are coming from, but that's exactly what they are. Cole Hamels is our pitcher and we're keeping him, and I'm glad to have him."

Tragedy
11-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Amaro Denies Hamels for Halladay (http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20091111_On_Baseball__Amaro_denies_Hamels_trade_sp eculation.html)
LOL, got to love the offseason.

theLgndKllr35
11-11-2009, 03:54 PM
I'd have to LOL the Phillies if they do that.

Why trade away a guy that has shown flashes of being a leagues top pitcher (with his age) for a guy who is over 30 and doesn't have 10+ years left in him the way that Cole does?

Would be a bad idea, but in the short term, makes the Phillies a better team.

Cole has two years left on his current deal, and one year of arbitration after that. So at the most, we're probably going to see Cole for 3 more years in Philadelphia.

Tragedy
11-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Cole has two years left on his current deal, and one year of arbitration after that. So at the most, we're probably going to see Cole for 3 more years in Philadelphia.
What, if he matures and gets better, you don't think the Phillies re-sign this kid?

Dark Donnie
11-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Yeah rumors fly non stop :clap:

If Cole is lights out we aren't letting him walk. Last year was an anomaly.

NCBoSoxfan21
11-11-2009, 03:58 PM
I saw something about a Beckett for Cole trade.

Zaunnie
11-11-2009, 03:58 PM
the offseason makes my head hurt.

theLgndKllr35
11-11-2009, 04:00 PM
What, if he matures and gets better, you don't think the Phillies re-sign this kid?

I think it's going to be tough to resign Hamels, while signing Lee, Werth, Howard, Blanton, and a 3rd baseman. This is while already having Lidge, Rollins, and Utley on the books.

Tragedy
11-11-2009, 04:03 PM
I think it's going to be tough to resign Hamels, while signing Lee, Werth, Howard, Blanton, and a 3rd baseman. This is while already having Lidge, Rollins, and Utley on the books.
Lidge is a non factor three years down the road, don't you think? Same can be said for Blanton, and it's not like there are any big name 3B's coming around, so you won't have to worry about that.

The Phillies will absolutely have the room to bring back Cole Hamels three years down the road. That's so far away and so many things can happen between now and then.

Zmaster52
11-11-2009, 04:03 PM
just send him to the mets and we'll all be happy

donnie23
11-11-2009, 04:04 PM

Get rid of Rollins if you can.

Dark Donnie
11-11-2009, 04:08 PM

Hamels, Utley and Werth would be priority one on who to re-sign. Howard is gonna have some outrageous asking price that I don't think we'll be able to meet.

3 years time it's likely that Lidge, Blanton and Rollins wold be gone as well.

theLgndKllr35
11-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Lidge is a non factor three years down the road, don't you think? Same can be said for Blanton, and it's not like there are any big name 3B's coming around, so you won't have to worry about that.

The Phillies will absolutely have the room to bring back Cole Hamels three years down the road. That's so far away and so many things can happen between now and then.

There's rumors the Phillies will sign Figgins this offseason, who wants around 10 mil per. Blanton will more than likely be resigned. Lidge probably won't be a factor as his deal runs out a year prior.

Dark Donnie
11-11-2009, 04:12 PM
There's rumors the Phillies will sign Figgins this offseason, who wants around 10 mil per. Blanton will more than likely be resigned. Lidge probably won't be a factor as his deal runs out a year prior.

At what Blanton might get awarded (7 Million was rumored) I might look elsewhere.

MooseWithFleas
11-11-2009, 04:20 PM
7 million is a bargain for a solid number 3 who can give you 200 innings of 4 ERA ball.

More-Than-Most
11-11-2009, 04:21 PM
At what Blanton might get awarded (7 Million was rumored) I might look elsewhere.

7 million is a good price for a guy like blanton... He really does not get the credit he deserves and was the phillies most consistent pitcher last year.

PapelbonLester
11-11-2009, 04:28 PM
I saw something about a Beckett for Cole trade.

Strange i just say a small article saying maybe Lowell/Beckett (traded for hanley) get traded for Cole Hamels

TheRuckus
11-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Hamels isn't going anywhere.

T.O. Fan
11-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Some would say Hamels' 2009 4.32 ERA is inflated.

Fangraphs had his FIP at 3.72.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4972&position=P

Mile High Champ
11-11-2009, 06:19 PM

What is he suppose to say?? Of course he would say that, this could be as much fact as it is fiction.

MooseWithFleas
11-11-2009, 06:24 PM
As could your thread title. I'm going to bank on this never happening. ever. ever. ever.

bringinwood
11-11-2009, 07:44 PM
I don't think you trade Hamels until next year, if at all...

Unfortunately, if you looking at trading him next season, his value is in the tank at that point as he has not returned to form...

We all have to remember that Hamels came off an 08 campaign where he threw so many innings that he couldn't have possibly came into 09 at 100 %...

2010 will be more of a test to see if he can return to form...

On the other hand, Hamels has never put together a full season of dominance...

He carried the Phillies to the crown in the 08 playoffs, but aside from that, he has been inconsistent... I wonder if Amaro is looking at maximizing his value out of a return for him...

It's kind of the scenario where the Phillies could have had Tim Lincecum for Brett Myers years ago but were reluctant to because they didn't know Myers ceiling... What they didn't factor in was Linces ceiling...

davg31
11-11-2009, 08:04 PM
I just can't see us landing Roy. We are just in there to drive up the price for the Phills. Trying to make sure the Santana situation doesnt happen again.

TheShock45
11-12-2009, 05:16 AM

honestly no i've said it all along the only long term player i think we will have is chase utley and now im adding cliff lee
i think ryan howard will go when he starts to make too much the phillies will go we can find production like that for cheaper
Cole Hamels likes philly but the man rather be a yankee or a dodger
jayson werth will probly get the same answer as ryan we can find some1 to do it for cheaper

i seriously think the only players the phillies ever consider resigning is Chase Utley and Cliff Lee everyone else i can see them just letting there contracts go or trading them in there last years

smellsam44
11-12-2009, 02:56 PM
I would trade Hamels for Roy Halladay, no questions asked

Cole Hamels is such a headcase right now and wants to be a celebrity more than he wants to be a baseball player. He's an awful influence on not only himself but also other pitchers around him, then we also have the fact that he's never been fully great in a season like Halladay has. Halladay would give us a pitcher that can also act like a Jamie Moyer, one who could teach all the very good young pitching talent we have coming through the minor leagues how to play in the bigs, and how to act. If we could resign Halladay and Lee they could probably be great for another 4-6 years too, a great opportunity to pick up a few more world series while we still have our main core all in their prime.

Also, for anymore naysayers to this deal, just look at what happened with the phillies once we got Aaron Rowand. Our outfield was lazy, our team had no swagger, and we weren't making the playoffs, once Rowand came out you saw Burrel start to play better, you saw all our young outfielders start to gain that swagger, you saw guys like Utley and Howard, and Rollins start to gain that swagger. Even after Rowand left you still saw that passion for baseball with all the outfielders after him, i've never seen Werth or Victorino ever take a play off, and I've never seen them falter after doing something bad. Look at the White Sox when they had Rowand, they knew they were going to win the world series, they had that swagger, and look at the giants now, they were supposed to be a bottom wrung team, and then once they got Rowand they looked like a team that would fight to the bitter end and would never give up. (The only reason why i think they didn't make the playoffs is because I feel the manager is mentally deficient.)

Having that passion for baseball wins championships, and i just don't see Hamels having that passion anymore.

CityofTreez
11-12-2009, 03:16 PM

but, it's so fun though :D

uwish1127
11-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Yanks I hope get Halladay, I prefer him over Lackey and, even if Lackey signs somewhere else I think Bedard would would still be a better fit

RamsfanNY
11-15-2009, 02:02 AM
Yeah, that'd put the Phillies in a great position to win another title, but they would have to do it soon, and they would also be trading away a young starter who already has the experience and should only get even better than he already is.

Zagbulldogs
11-15-2009, 03:00 AM
Hamels sucked last year and Halladay had one of the best years of his career. He hasnt shown any sign of aging and threw for 240 innings. He is the best pitcher in baseball. He pitches in the AL east and still won 17 games for Toronto. His 2.79 Era would be even lower in the national league. I would do that trade in a heartbeat. Halladay wants to win. I bet he would resign with the Phillies and between him and Cliff Lee they would win multiple world series.

Jahari Kavi
11-15-2009, 04:59 AM
*hopes this doesn't happen*

Zmaster52
11-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Hamels sucked last year and Halladay had one of the best years of his career. He hasnt shown any sign of aging and threw for 240 innings. He is the best pitcher in baseball. He pitches in the AL east and still won 17 games for Toronto. His 2.79 Era would be even lower in the national league. I would do that trade in a heartbeat. Halladay wants to win. I bet he would resign with the Phillies and between him and Cliff Lee they would win multiple world series.

best pitcher? no
one of the best? yes

Jays52
11-15-2009, 02:28 PM
I am sure AA is going to drive up the price between the yanks and sox and Roy will end up pitching against his former team 4-5 times a year.

Sox and Yanks Fans, what would you offer for Halladay if you were GM.

Just curious.

hurdler388
11-17-2009, 12:23 AM

This all sounds great but there is no way we would be able to resign halladay and lee. i don't know if we would be able to resign either one. both will want huge long term deals and that is not the phills style with pitchers.

devinv1117
11-17-2009, 12:50 AM
some of you guys are clearly intoxicated...Rollins is the best defensive infielder in baseball and just won the MVP award a couple years ago, you know the award that the most valuable player in the league recieves. And the man who posted the Hamels for Beckett absolutely fabricated that.