PDA

View Full Version : Giants, Orioles Pursuing Dan Uggla

YankeeFan28
11-11-2009, 03:34 PM
The two teams showing the most interest in Marlins second baseman Dan Uggla would move him to third base.

The Giants and Orioles are the clubs in strongest pursuit of Uggla, according to major-league sources.

The Red Sox also have inquired, envisioning Uggla as a potential replacement for free agent Jason Bay in left field.

Uggla, 29, projects to earn approximately $8 million in arbitration. But in four major-league seasons, he has averaged 30 homers and 90 RBIs.

For the Giants, he would represent a more affordable addition than Bay or Matt Holliday. The Giants would play Uggla at third, Edgar Renteria at shortstop, Freddy Sanchez at second and Pablo Sandoval at first.

If Uggla went to the Orioles, he could replace free agent Melvin Mora at third base and also fill in at first base and DH.http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10353396/Wednesday's-buzz-from-the-GM-meetings

Tragedy
11-11-2009, 03:52 PM
The Red Sox also have inquired, envisioning Uggla as a potential replacement for free agent Jason Bay in left field.
Not so sure how that'd work out.

We'll see what the Marlins do here. They'd be wise in trading Uggla; That's not "selling the team" mode, that's just being smart and selling this guy when they should.

YankeeFan28
11-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Not so sure how that'd work out.

We'll see what the Marlins do here. They'd be wise in trading Uggla; That's not "selling the team" mode, that's just being smart and selling this guy when they should.

Youk to LF and Uggla to 3b :clap:

Zmaster52
11-11-2009, 04:05 PM
please send him to the giants

The_Mac22
11-11-2009, 04:10 PM
I wonder what we (Giants) would have to give up for him...

Jonathan Sanchez?

Tragedy
11-11-2009, 04:16 PM
:speechless:

StevenStrasburg
11-11-2009, 04:17 PM
The Nationals have also expressed interest, however I doubt we'll get him.

As a replacement for Bay? Ehhh....as much as I hate Jason Bay, I shudder to think of how that would go down with Uggla in LF.

WSU Tony
11-11-2009, 04:29 PM
I hope Bill Smith (Twins GM) at least makes a call. To go from a terrible middle infield to Hardy and Uggla would be an amazing off season.

As a Twins fan that Hardy trade should be enough to keep me excited going into next season. :) (lol)

iggypop123
11-11-2009, 04:35 PM
3rd base? wow might as well make him a dh if you can

marlinsfan24
11-11-2009, 05:08 PM
I wonder what we (Giants) would have to give up for him...

Jonathan Sanchez?:puke:

The Ooh Child
11-11-2009, 05:26 PM
The Orioles are still a baseball team?

dodgersuck
11-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Bring him to the Giants!

cuttygiantsfan
11-11-2009, 08:20 PM
:puke:

u deserve a :facepalm:

marlinsfan24
11-11-2009, 09:15 PM

Because he threw one no-hitter?

Uggla is far superior. 30 homers in 3 straight seasons. 90+ RBI's in 3 of his first 4 seasons. Marlins have younger guys in their rotation with more talent, ie. Andrew Miller, Chris Volstad, Sean West, and Rick Vanden Hurk...don't give me that :facepalm: ********

MLBFLA
11-11-2009, 09:34 PM
I hope Bill Smith (Twins GM) at least makes a call. To go from a terrible middle infield to Hardy and Uggla would be an amazing off season.

As a Twins fan that Hardy trade should be enough to keep me excited going into next season. :) (lol)

I would like to see the Marlins trade Uggla for liriano.

Lincecum4CY
11-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Because he threw one no-hitter?

Uggla is far superior. 30 homers in 3 straight seasons. 90+ RBI's in 3 of his first 4 seasons. Marlins have younger guys in their rotation with more talent, ie. Andrew Miller, Chris Volstad, Sean West, and Rick Vanden Hurk...don't give me that :facepalm: ********

You say fans are ignorant on these boards because they don't keep up with your marlins, yet in this post, you show ignorance by not knowing jackshiet about sanchez or in that matter other players not on the marlins. Well played my man, well played.

fishfan79
11-11-2009, 09:45 PM
You say fans are ignorant on these boards because they don't keep up with your marlins, yet in this post, you show ignorance by not knowing jackshiet about sanchez or in that matter other players not on the marlins. Well played my man, well played.

we dont need an older then 25 year old lefty that is developing while in the big leagues still. We have a few potential players like that already.

the marlins would not be looking for a player like that, they would be looking for younger cheaper talent. Sanchez does not fit our primary needs sorry.

I dont think the giants are a good fit, the player that made sense you gave away for a lesser player in Sanchez already. Because Posey and Bum are going nowhere and I dont see a package about Sanchez or Lewis being a fit at all either.

The O's talent fits better for pitchers if we went that direction their depth there is amazing.

CQSox305
11-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Uggla would easily become the worst defensive 3B in baseball. Play him at 1st or DH

Confusion
11-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Uggla will be a huge addition for any team right now.

StevenStrasburg
11-11-2009, 10:53 PM
we dont need an older then 25 year old lefty that is developing while in the big leagues still. We have a few potential players like that already.

the marlins would not be looking for a player like that, they would be looking for younger cheaper talent. Sanchez does not fit our primary needs sorry.

I dont think the giants are a good fit, the player that made sense you gave away for a lesser player in Sanchez already. Because Posey and Bum are going nowhere and I dont see a package about Sanchez or Lewis being a fit at all either.

The O's talent fits better for pitchers if we went that direction their depth there is amazing.

Any word on the Nationals down in Florida? All we're hearing is that "the Nationals have expressed interest in/contacted the Marlins about Dan Uggla" and "expect the Nationals to be players for Dan Uggla", no specifics or anything.

marlinsfan24
11-11-2009, 11:34 PM

Sanchez is 27, he's no longer even considered a prospect. Hes going through arbitration right now. I know plenty about him hence I have no interest in him. I'd rather have Anibal Sanchez over him as well...Uggla is under team control for 2 more seasons and the Marlins DON'T have to deal him right now if they don't want to. They'll get much better offers than 27 year-old unproven Sanchez

swagga81
11-11-2009, 11:51 PM
hey hey hey thats my line! :pity::facepalm:

fishfan79
11-12-2009, 12:25 AM
Any word on the Nationals down in Florida? All we're hearing is that "the Nationals have expressed interest in/contacted the Marlins about Dan Uggla" and "expect the Nationals to be players for Dan Uggla", no specifics or anything.

to be honest with you I really dont know what they would want to even start with. zimmerman (jordan) had TJ so doubt him for a package about. Marrero is a 1st baseman so dont see him being there, mock looks like a reliever not a starter dont see him being a fit either.

I really dont see what florida would want to be honest that would be reasonable.

Halladay
11-12-2009, 01:17 AM
Not sure how much value Uggla has to be honest. His power numbers are great for a second basemen but he'd probably be moved to first, third or DH where in baseball reality, he wouldn't be much above league average for those positions. The lack of quality hitters may mean someone overpays though. Love to have him on the Jays...not sure exactly what we'd give up but we do have as much pitching depth as anyone in MLB.

MDfootball36
11-12-2009, 01:24 AM
i think uggla to the dodgers is a real possibility at this point

swagga81
11-12-2009, 01:35 AM
i think uggla to the dodgers is a real possibility at this point

i gotta agree! i dont see Orlando Hudson Resigning plus Msnny needs protection like he had in boston

iggypop123
11-12-2009, 01:38 AM
the price will be too high in my view, they dont want 2b and thats it, they have 2 needs so going all in for uggla probably isnt an option

bmurphy28
11-12-2009, 04:00 AM

wow that's funny

btownwhatitdo
11-12-2009, 04:39 AM
my dad is good friends with bill neukom and he had a phone call from bill saying that the giants were trying to sign juan uribe to a contract extension to be an everyday player and play 3B, he had 16 hr being a utility player which prooves he's an everyday player. Bill said if anything the giants want to bring Matt Holliday in he's familiar with the NL west and feels it be the giants best bet to be in the race for Holliday

TheShock45
11-12-2009, 05:06 AM

THANK GOD your name is yankee fan haha wheni first seen this i was gonna say what the **** kind of fan are you saying you rather have uggla at 3rd than youk then i seen yankee and was like ooooooooo i got ya haha your funny

The_Mac22
11-12-2009, 08:23 AM
my dad is good friends with bill neukom and he had a phone call from bill saying that the giants were trying to sign juan uribe to a contract extension to be an everyday player and play 3B, he had 16 hr being a utility player which prooves he's an everyday player. Bill said if anything the giants want to bring Matt Holliday in he's familiar with the NL west and feels it be the giants best bet to be in the race for Holliday

:rolleyes:

Westbrook36
11-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Giants could use the offense from Uggla

caseyv415
11-12-2009, 11:24 AM

at least we know he'll be clutch at Coors Field:rolleyes:

yankkiller
11-12-2009, 11:43 AM

how about
marlins get
SS Navarro
SP Sanchez
3B Frandson
C Whiteside

Red Sox
Uggla
Johnson

Giants
Lowell
Drew

CAIN=FUTURE
11-12-2009, 12:21 PM
how about
marlins get
SS Navarro
SP Sanchez
3B Frandson
C Whiteside

Red Sox
Uggla
Johnson

Giants
Lowell
Drew

So the Giants give up a starter with some of the best swing and miss stuff in baseball and we get a dirt old 3rd baseman, and a P.O.S ex dodger? That sounds like a Sabean move.

cibaoyanks
11-12-2009, 12:54 PM
the marlins are pretty good at making trades with the red sox (hanley ramirez and annibal sanchez) boston will probably give up there best prospects for uggla to use him at 3rd. lowell is not the same if you move youk to 3rd and martinez to 1st then varitex catches and im pretty sure bosotn dosent want to see him behind the plate anymore

Lincecum4CY
11-12-2009, 02:21 PM
how about
marlins get
SS Navarro
SP Sanchez
3B Frandson
C Whiteside

Red Sox
Uggla
Johnson

Giants
Lowell
Drew

LOL :facepalm:

Dark Donnie
11-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Uggla's Value (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/ugglas-value)

Uggla’s Value

by Dave Cameron - November 12, 2009 - Share this Article

There are a few signposts that let us know winter has arrived – the leaves change, the grocery stores try to sell us pumpkin everything, and the Florida Marlins begin trading off arbitration eligible players. This year, the annual fire sale has already claimed Jeremy Hermida, and the expectation is that Dan Uggla will be the next to go.

I wonder, though – did the Marlins wait too long to deal him?

There was significant interest in Uggla a year ago, when he was coming off a +5 win season and was still quite the bargin; he made just $5.35 million in 2010. However, given another year of service time, Uggla is going to be looking at a ~$9 million arbitration award. That salary makes him a little pricey for small payroll clubs.

He also turns 30 in May, and his defense is considered poor enough that he’s likely to be moved off of second base by whoever acquires him. So, the Marlins are essentially marketing a third baseman who is going to get a one year salary about equal to what they would have to pay to sign a comparable free agent – in this case, Adrian Beltre or Chone Figgins.

The upside is that Uggla doesn’t require a long term commitment, but given the rate of raises in arbitration, he’s a non-tender candidate next winter. The Marlins are really only selling one year of value, and as a 30-year-old third baseman in this economy, he’s not that much of a bargain.

A year ago, Uggla would have brought a solid return of prospects from a team looking for a power hitting second baseman. Now, though, I think the Marlins will have to settle for a mediocre package just to get him off the books. Was keeping Uggla in Florida for 2009 really worth the reduction in his trade value to the Marlins?

It sure doesn’t seem like it to me. This appears to be a case of selling a year too late.

Dave is a co-founder of USSMariner.com and contributes to the Wall Street Journal.

fishfan79
11-13-2009, 07:08 PM
how about
marlins get
SS Navarro
SP Sanchez
3B Frandson
C Whiteside

Red Sox
Uggla
Johnson

Giants
Lowell
Drew

lmao no way in hell from the marlins perspective

i wouldnt do that for uggla let alone johnson

If we did a trade with josh johnson it would have far far more then that, 2 years of a 25 year old ace would mean very very expensive in prospects specially we are signing him long term :facepalm:

fishfan79
11-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Uggla's Value (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/ugglas-value)

yes becuase a follower of the mariners that most likely knows little of the marlins except hoping to be able to point to miami on the map knows alot :)

StevenStrasburg
11-13-2009, 07:13 PM
how about
marlins get
SS Navarro
SP Sanchez
3B Frandson
C Whiteside

Red Sox
Uggla
Johnson

Giants
Lowell
Drew

LOL

Horrible deal for both the Giants and the Marlins.

bmurphy28
11-13-2009, 09:44 PM
According to Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports, Dan Uggla does not want to move from second base, even in the event of a trade.
"There should be no reason to consider a position change at this time," said Uggla's agent, Jeff Borris. The Braves, Orioles and Giants are thought to have some interest in acquiring the 29-year-old slugger, but it sounds like he's only willing to play the position he's familiar with. It'll be interesting to hear if that factors into potential trade negotiations this winter.

roto

fishfan79
11-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Since you have Hanley Ramirez in your signature, I'll take it as a sign that your baseball knowledge is infinitely more useful than someone who writes on the subject for a living.

as a blogger
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
thank you but I will stick to the writers down here compared to someone on the far side of the country that is a blogger. I can promise you I have seen far more marlins games in person then that writer has ever seen.

goldenstater
11-14-2009, 01:20 AM
roto

the giants could move sanchez to short and let uggla play second. freddie can play short no problem i think.

Lincecum4CY
11-14-2009, 02:41 AM
the giants could move sanchez to short and let uggla play second. freddie can play short no problem i think.

We have that beast named Edgar Renteria at SS. I can see Sanchez moving to 3b. I wouldn't move Uggla to 3b IMHO, if we acquired him, i'd keep him at 2b or move him to LF.

Giants27
11-14-2009, 02:50 PM
If anyone would move to 3rd base it would be Freddy Sanchez. Not Uggla

gfixer33
11-14-2009, 04:45 PM

actually they are. i think giants could really use him. they need all kinds of offensive help.

marlinsfan24
11-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Since you have Hanley Ramirez in your signature, I'll take it as a sign that your baseball knowledge is infinitely more useful than someone who writes on the subject for a living.

So if a Yankees writer writes that Tim Lincecum is available and as a Giants fan you know thats false you believe that the Yankees writer is right?

cuttygiantsfan
11-14-2009, 09:51 PM
So if a Yankees writer writes that Tim Lincecum is available and as a Giants fan you know thats false you believe that the Yankees writer is right?

it depends how reliable the source is.

I would trade lincecum in the right package :rolleyes:

just dont think we will be offered the right package

giants9ers
11-14-2009, 10:53 PM
what would it take the giants to get uggla. a package around pucectas and fransden??

RamsfanNY
11-15-2009, 02:00 AM
He'd be a nice addition for the Giants.
They could sure use him in that lineup...

todu82
11-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Getting Uggla would be a good pickup for any team. I'm hoping the Red Sox get him.

Zaunnie
11-15-2009, 02:31 PM
how about
marlins get
SS Navarro
SP Sanchez
3B Frandson
C Whiteside

Red Sox
Uggla
Johnson

Giants
Lowell
Drew
:facepalm:

Humongo
11-15-2009, 03:36 PM
yes becuase a follower of the mariners that most likely knows little of the marlins except hoping to be able to point to miami on the map knows alot :)

Yeah, Dave Cameron created one of the most popular and intelligent baseball blogs on the planet, was hired to write for Fangraphs.com, probably the most mainstream of all sabermetric statistic sites, and writes baseball blurbs for the Wall Street Journal, and he doesn't know jack **** about baseball.

It doesn't matter how many times he's seen Uggla play. You could've seen Uggla play thousands of times, and I, along with any baseball executive in the game are going to take Cameron's evaluation above yours.

Uggla's UZR was -10.1 last season. As a defender, Uggla isn't very good, and he's at an age where he's not likely to be getting better. He's a good hitter, especially for a second baseman, but he's a 3-3.5 WAR player, who'll be making almost $10 million next year.

No team is going to give up a package of decent prospects for a 30 year old second baseman who plays bad defense, is due to make ~$10 million, and only has one year of team control left.

Just because you can't seem to see that Uggla's value isn't very high doesn't mean that Cameron is wrong.

fishfan79
11-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Yeah, Dave Cameron created one of the most popular and intelligent baseball blogs on the planet, was hired to write for Fangraphs.com, probably the most mainstream of all sabermetric statistic sites, and writes baseball blurbs for the Wall Street Journal, and he doesn't know jack **** about baseball.

It doesn't matter how many times he's seen Uggla play. You could've seen Uggla play thousands of times, and I, along with any baseball executive in the game are going to take Cameron's evaluation above yours.

Uggla's UZR was -10.1 last season. As a defender, Uggla isn't very good, and he's at an age where he's not likely to be getting better. He's a good hitter, especially for a second baseman, but he's a 3-3.5 WAR player, who'll be making almost $10 million next year.

No team is going to give up a package of decent prospects for a 30 year old second baseman who plays bad defense, is due to make ~$10 million, and only has one year of team control left.

Just because you can't seem to see that Uggla's value isn't very high doesn't mean that Cameron is wrong.

yet most of the mainstream papers down here and writers following the team have said the opposite. I am not saying uggla will not be traded, I have said he will be traded most likely. Yet, his average salary next year projects less then 10 million according to most projections out there closer to 7-8 million. He is not a FA to be but controlled for 2 years of value for his abilities as well. His average war is around a 3.5 yes, and his UZR has been over his career a -2 range not a -10.1. Lets not overate the affect of 1 year when he played part of the year on a bum ankle. Which will negatively effect his defensive play side to side.

Again it is a blogger vs writers that have local knowledge of the team and their standpoint. Not to mention the marlins rarely will "dump" for very low return their talent unless it is talent that cant move at all. See Olsen last year where the player had DUI/fighting issues with the team repeatedly. Or willingham where he had chronic back issues. Typically they will demand and get their value they look for. Again, when a single blogger is stating something everyone else is, and he is on the opposite side of the country I will stick with the local writers story. Not the team that isnt even related to the possible trade.

again this isnt directed as a shot at that writer or anyone else on here. I really dont care much either way the opinions of most when it comes down to it. He will be gone by next year (begining or during midseason) and his return will be something around the area of the Freddy Sanchez to SF trade most likely.

Overall we will see what happens and whatever it is, so be it. I personally trust in beinfest/hill's abilities much more so then all of the GM's of the teams he might be trading with. Could the writers here be wrong? Possible. But, again I simply trust their insights and the beat writers better then I trust the opinion of a blogger on the far side of the country

yankkiller
11-15-2009, 06:58 PM
:speechless:

how about uggla to 1st, youk to 3rd, kotchman late defense guy for uggla

lowell, Delcarmen, Richardson and couple mid level prospects trade to phillies for Werth, Phillies sign Bay

fishfan79
11-15-2009, 07:20 PM
how about uggla to 1st, youk to 3rd, kotchman late defense guy for uggla

lowell, Delcarmen, Richardson and couple mid level prospects trade to phillies for Werth, Phillies sign Bay

florida has 2 1B in the minors that look to be studs that are almost or are ready no need for another

we will get pitching prospects back in a trade most likely

The_Mac22
11-16-2009, 08:03 AM
^ Man I hope we trade for him.