PDA

View Full Version : Would the Cavs Trade Lebron?

jmastert
11-11-2009, 12:34 PM
"My loyalty is to Akron. I'm looking forward to this upcoming season, but I'm looking forward to the summer of 2010, too, to see what may happen," James said in an ESPN interview while promoting his movie in Akron. "No matter what happens that summer, you know, I'm still here. I've got a nice big house here that I'm always coming back to. You know, I love this city and I'll always give back to this city no matter what my profession…. if it takes me somewhere else."--Lebron James

Would the Cavs Trade Lebron (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-lebron-magic-cavs-1112,0,2982488.story)
SOME SCENARIOS FROM ARTICLE

--- LeBron to New Jersey for Devin Harris. Hmmm, an oldie-but-goody rumor involving the Nets. You'd hate to trade James to an East team, but at this point, it's a matter of self-preservation and you'd receive a young star point guard. The Nets could throw in Tony Battie's expiring deal to make the trade work. If LeBron was ever serious about joining buddy/rapper/Nets minority owner Jay-Z, well, this is his chance. And with a Russian billionaire owner apparently securing the team's move to Brooklyn, the Nets would be the NBA's most intriguing team.

--- LeBron to Orlando for Vince Carter. (Sorry Vince). It's far-fetched, as the Cavs wouldn't want to turn Orlando into a title favorite from the East for the next decade. But they would receive an eight-time all-star whose contract expires after next season. The Magic would have to dump some serious salary down the line to sign James and pair him with Dwight Howard. (Here's the Rashard Lewis contract albatross at work). This could be a terrific route for James --- and Orlando --- to a title if he'll play for 89 cents. What if the Magic threw in center Marcin Gortat with Carter and. say, took on another Cavs' contract to complete a deal for LeBron? Hmmmm?

--- LeBron to Denver for Carmelo Anthony. This would be a superstar-for-superstar swap.. . . probably in a fantasy basketball league. 'Melo would be about as close to an equal talent exchange as the Cavs could get. But the Nuggets couldn't make the trade without being assured James would stay. Sounds like a tough sell, even if Denver threw in the Rocky Mountains.

--- LeBron to Atlanta for Joe Johnson. Yeah, a buzz-kill. Salaries virtually match, although Johnson also can become a member of the star-laden free-agent class of 2010. Would this be a fly-by or would James remain a Hawk?

Could it make sense for the Cavs to trade Lebron James?

Raidaz4Life
11-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Lol not for any of those trades... the Melo one is the only one that makes even the slightest bit of sense.

faridk89
11-11-2009, 01:00 PM
i could see a sign and trade go down

arkanian215
11-11-2009, 01:01 PM
melo would hate to leave denver.

ManRam
11-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Only way he's getting traded is if at the deadline it is clear Cleveland is out of playoff contention. That wont happen so no.

pacofunk64
11-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Will it happen - no...should it happen - yes. Fact of the matter is I just don't think there is enough 1 team could trade to get him & yet be better. Unfortunately the Cavs will lose him without getting anything back.

Pharoe18
11-11-2009, 01:17 PM
No chance because the Cavs are going to be a playoff team. Also, I don't think LeBron would go forward with a sign-and-trade and no team would give up what it would take to get LeBron for half a season without the guarantee of signing up long term.

JOSKOMANG4
11-11-2009, 01:17 PM
1. Blazers & Cavaliers

- Blazers acquire SF/SG Lebron James & Daniel Gibson

- Cavaliers acquire C Greg Oden, PG Steve Blake, SF Travis Outlaw, SF/SG M. Webster, and SG Rudy Fernandez

Cavs Lineup:

Most likely, with trade: Cut Kurz Trey Johnson, Eyegna

C: Shaquille O'Neal/Greg Oden/ Zydrunas Ilgauskas#
PF: Anderson Varejao/Leon Powe/J.J. Hickson/Darnell Jackson
SF: Travis Outlaw/Jamario Moon/Danny Green*
SG: Rudy Ferandez/Martell Webster/Delonte West/Anthony Parker
PG: Mo Williams/Steve Blake

Blazers:

C: JLaMarcus Aldridge / Joel Pryzbilla
PF: Jeff Pendergraph*/Victor Claver*/ J.Howard
SF: Lebron James/Nicolas Batum/Dante Cunningham*
SG: Brandon Roy/Boobie Gibson
PG: Andre Miller/Jerryd Bayless / Patty Mills*

orrr..

2. Grizzles & Cavaliers

- Grizzles acquire SF/SG Lebron James

- Cavaliers acquire PG Mike Conley JR, SF/SG Rudy Gay, SF/Marko Jaric, and 2010 1st rd pick.

Cavaliers lineup:

C: Shaquille O'Neal/ Zydrunas Ilgauskas#
PF: Anderson Varejao/Leon Powe/J.J. Hickson/Darnell Jackson
SF: Rudy Gay/Jamario Moon/Danny Green*/Robert Kurz
SG: Delonte West/Anthony Parker/Trey Johnson/Marko Jaric
PG: Mo Williams/Mike Conley JR. Daniel Gibson /Christian Eyegna*

Grizzles:

C: Marc Gasol/Steven Hunter#/Hamed Haddadi / H Thabeet*
PF: Zach Randolph/Darrell Arthur/Trey Gilder
SF: Lebron James/ D. Carroll*
SG: O.J. Mayo/Sam Young*
PG: Allen Iverson/Marcus Williams

TO Rapz
11-11-2009, 01:18 PM
The only people that know closely on how Lebron feels are the Cavs organization and a few of his close teamates. If they feel that Lebron will leave in 2010, AND they get blown away by an offer then they may consider it. If they even have the slightest doubt that Lebron will resign, then No they wont trade him because MEGAsuperstars like him are hard to come by.

theuuord
11-11-2009, 01:20 PM
If he gets traded, it won't be for an established superstar.

It is definitely interesting that he said his loyalty was to Akron and not Cleveland.

MiamiHeat
11-11-2009, 01:27 PM
they won't trade the Akron Hammer

WITZ
11-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Hahaha Lebron for vince that would be one dumb trade.
Lebron for Brandon Roy or Carmello seem fair maybe even that joe johnson one but add a couple other pieces to it.

SchyGuy11
11-11-2009, 01:33 PM
If he comes right out and tells the cavs he is not going to resign this summer then they should trade him. I think if it happens, which i doubt, it will be for some 1st rounders and young rising stars

DbOyZ_ILiVe4DIs
11-11-2009, 01:53 PM
I think if LJ showed signs of leaving the team you would absoluely have to look at it. I believe he's going to leave. There is just too many other sexy locations for him to play in and if he plans on winning a championship he's going to have to be on a team better then Boston or LA. He's not going to get that type of squad playing there.

Hustla23
11-11-2009, 02:37 PM
If he gets traded, it won't be for an established superstar.

It is definitely interesting that he said his loyalty was to Akron and not Cleveland.
The only thing that makes sense for the Cavs is a sign and trade, in which case they don't have much leverage anyway.

No team is going to trade an established superstar for a rental ( if a trade occurs before the deadline ) and no team is going to trade an established superstar in a sign and trade anyway, it's almost counterproductive to do that.

I can see a team trading a few young players or picks in a sign and trade if the Cavaliers wish to go that route, just so they don't leave with nothing.

Badluck33
11-11-2009, 02:45 PM
There is NO trade that would have value in the league that would equate LEBRON JAMES. However, if you know he's gonna bolt, you might as well rape whoever has interest.

jetsforever
11-11-2009, 02:48 PM
They probably should to avoid getting nothing for one of the best players in the league. It would seriously suck if they are forced to let him go.
But at the same time, winning is all that matters. He gives them the best shot at a championship this year. Unless (lke said earlier) they are out of the playoffs by the trade deadline, they would throw away a chance at a championship by trading him and probably would not take that risk

jrenz31
11-11-2009, 03:13 PM
If Lebron goes somewhere for more money thats one thing, but I can't see the Cleveland fans being too happy if Lebron gets traded.

RaiderLakersA's
11-11-2009, 03:14 PM
If I were the Cavs, yes, I'd put word out that we'd entertain offers for LeBron. It's just good business.

Now whether or not a team could package a deal for him -- or 2 or more teams got involved to concoct a deal -- that's up for debate.

RaiderLakersA's
11-11-2009, 03:16 PM
If Lebron goes somewhere for more money thats one thing, but I can't see the Cleveland fans being too happy if Lebron gets traded.

This is where you find out who the Cleveland fans are and who the LeBron fans are. Most are going with him wherever he goes. But Cleveland, at least historically, has always had a decent fanbase.

DCB/LAL
11-11-2009, 03:20 PM
If I were the Cavs, yes, I'd put word out that we'd entertain offers for LeBron. It's just good business.

Now whether or not a team could package a deal for him -- or 2 or more teams got involved to concoct a deal -- that's up for debate.

The thing with that would be that it would RUIN ANY chance of him resigning with the Cavs there is NO CHANCE they even think or even allow a RUMOR to go around about them listening to TRADE OFFERS I think Cleveland rides this out and in the END might come away with nothing.

king4day
11-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Sadly, the Cavs are going to have to ride this out. Unless LBJ tells them straight up, he's not staying, then you have try to retain him at all costs.

The trade ideas in the article above were terrible too. Harris and an expiring for Lebron? Seriously?
I think the Blazers one was pretty damn good considering it's impossible to get equal value

artest_kobe
11-11-2009, 03:24 PM
weed is legal in denver. locally speaking, not exactly federally, however, melo is staying put.

Ty Fast
11-11-2009, 03:33 PM
how about the clips? they have a lot of good young talent and they are in the west so they would only have to face lebron twice a year.

NyCsPoRtS1
11-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Lebron is never leaving cleveland dont you guys get it!!!!! I wish he did cuz that means hes on the knicks no other team is getting him its knicks or clev and its gonna be clev

J4KOP99
11-11-2009, 03:44 PM
If the Cavs were to do this, they would first have to have a meeting with Lebron where he gauranteed the organization that he would not be coming back.

If he were to say that, which I doubt he would, then you definitely should trade him.

It would be a lot like when the Oilers traded Gretzky to the Kings. Obviously there is no talent that you can get back for equal value and I am sure the cleveland faithful would never trust the front office again but business wise, it would be the correct thing to do.

The only players I think that would be off-limits would probably be:
Kobe
Duncan
Wade
Howard
Possibly 'Melo

-Basically, if you are gauranteed to lose him anyway, why not try and get something in return? This would be a tough question to swallow for cav's fans though.

RaiderLakersA's
11-11-2009, 03:45 PM
The thing with that would be that it would RUIN ANY chance of him resigning with the Cavs there is NO CHANCE they even think or even allow a RUMOR to go around about them listening to TRADE OFFERS I think Cleveland rides this out and in the END might come away with nothing.

Not necessarily. If I were the owner, I'd meet with LeBron and tell him my intentions man to man. I'd like to have him sign an extension now, and I'd certainly like him to retire a Cav. But if it's a sound business for him not to sign an extension now, it's equally sound business for me to protect my interests and ensure that my franchise remains competitive and keep butts in the seats when and if LeBron leaves. It's a calculated risk, but not nearly as costly as him walking at the end of the season and not getting anything at all.

And consider the ripple effect of that for a minute. The best player available won't be playing for you, which means the other top tier free agents will snub you as well. You'll have mid-level skill people to man your franchise for the next year, and possibly long after.

I'm not saying other teams would go for it, but imagine if you could get a package deal from the Suns or the Mavs or even the Trailblazers for LeBron. That makes your team competitive in the East by a country mile. Any top tier free agent that couldn't follow LeBron would next look to your team on the basis of talent and potential playoff possibilities alone.

Lakerfan8032
11-11-2009, 04:01 PM
If he comes right out and tells the cavs he is not going to resign this summer then they should trade him. I think if it happens, which i doubt, it will be for some 1st rounders and young rising stars

This is the only way I could see this happenning. If Cleveland absolutely knows it won't resign him then that is the only way it will happen and I don't see it happening at all this season.

DCB/LAL
11-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Not necessarily. If I were the owner, I'd meet with LeBron and tell him my intentions man to man. I'd like to have him sign an extension now, and I'd certainly like him to retire a Cav. But if it's a sound business for him not to sign an extension now, it's equally sound business for me to protect my interests and ensure that my franchise remains competitive and keep butts in the seats when and if LeBron leaves. It's a calculated risk, but not nearly as costly as him walking at the end of the season and not getting anything at all.

And consider the ripple effect of that for a minute. The best player available won't be playing for you, which means the other top tier free agents will snub you as well. You'll have mid-level skill people to man your franchise for the next year, and possibly long after.

I'm not saying other teams would go for it, but imagine if you could get a package deal from the Suns or the Mavs or even the Trailblazers for LeBron. That makes your team competitive in the East by a country mile. Any top tier free agent that couldn't follow LeBron would next look to your team on the basis of talent and potential playoff possibilities alone.

I can agree with that BUT this is Lebron James your talking about and I just dont believe Cleveland will DO ANYTHING that might upset LBJ like entertaining trade offers for Lebron UNLESS he Comes out and FLAT out says he is NOT gonna resign with Cleveland I dont think Cleveland does anything that will upset him FACT is they have all their marbels riding on Lebron.

fishfan79
11-11-2009, 08:28 PM
lebron for beasley, oneal (big expiring contract), 3 1sts (2 next year), whatever else they want not named wade

miami could and would resign him unlike most other named locations :)