1st: Mark Texiera
2nd: Placido Polanco
SS: Derek Jeter
3B: Evan Longoria
OF: Adam Jones
OF: Torri Hunter
OF: Ichiro
P: Mark Buehrle

Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091110&content_id=7645222&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

McJoe
11-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Scutaro was ripped off at short. Hill at 2nd too. Jones is kind of a strange pick...

Dark Donnie
11-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Andrus would have been my pick....and Gutierrez over Jones

donnie23
11-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Andrus is a better fielder than Jeter but Jeter did have a very fine year and this award usually has gone to the better hitter for some unexplained reason, errors also hurt Andrus.

Dark Donnie
11-10-2009, 04:41 PM
I don't really have a problem with Jeter getting it. Just thought Andrus played very well.

Tragedy
11-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Jeter was a given. They gave him the award when he didn't deserve it, so when he performed better defensively, it was a no brainer he'd get it again.

Oh well.

Jetsguy
11-10-2009, 04:46 PM
guttierez go the shaft pretty hard IMO, other than that I am pretty ok with everything

GoatMilk
11-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Jeter was a given. They gave him the award when he didn't deserve it, so when he performed better defensively, it was a no brainer he'd get it again.

Oh well.

agree with everything you said

infernoscurse
yeaj other than jones the rest were on the money

JDIsMyGod23
Franklin Gutierrez should go murder anyone that votes for gold gloves. **** Torii Hunter.

DaSox_05
11-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Mark Buehrle!

:clap:

miller74
11-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Scutaro was ripped off at short. Hill at 2nd too. Jones is kind of a strange pick...

When you dont have range to get to alot of balls, you wont have as many opportunities for errors.
Andrus should have won if not, i have no problem with Jeter winning. It will piss off alot of people though

Ron!n
11-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Now to see how badly theyre going to F up the NL awards.

J4KOP99
11-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Here come's the Jeter hate.

Congratulations to them all though

Teix and Mauer are really the only two guys on that list that cannot be argued.

j-bay
11-10-2009, 05:10 PM
wow no red sox this year i though i would see at least 1

YankeeFan28
11-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Next up, Derek Jeter for MVP

oak2455
11-10-2009, 05:15 PM

Ortiz

dodgernation
11-10-2009, 05:18 PM
when do we find out about NL????? lol jeter isnt winning MVP....

Dark Donnie
11-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Next up, Derek Jeter for MVP

Joe Mauer better get the MVP:mad:

long ball
11-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Gold gloves are all reputation. A nice award to win, but doesn't necessarily show the best fielders for that season.

Mell413
11-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Here come's the Jeter hate.

Congratulations to them all though

Teix and Mauer are really the only two guys on that list that cannot be argued.

I could probably argue Morales deserved it over Teix but I don't have a huge problem with him winning it.

DieHardColtsfan
11-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Tex was a shoe in!

2009mvp
11-10-2009, 05:33 PM
When you dont have range to get to alot of balls, you wont have as many opportunities for errors.
Andrus should have won if not, i have no problem with Jeter winning. It will piss off alot of people though

Scutaro showed excellent range this year...

Overall, who cares? Don't really have a problem with Jeter getting it. The only real egregious call was Hunter over Gutierrez.

YankeeFan28
11-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Joe Mauer better get the MVP:mad:

I wonder, had this been Jimmy Rollins instead and he had put up 2007 numbers, would it still be Mauer? :p

Tragedy
11-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Eh, but who?

Gold gloves are all reputation. A nice award to win, but doesn't necessarily show the best fielders for that season.
Rafael Palmeiro absolutely agrees.

Zmaster52
11-10-2009, 05:54 PM
wow. jeter? what bull ****. scutaro or andrus at short... that proves that gold gloves is just a stupid popularity contest

infernoscurse
11-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Kevin Youkilis won the golden dildo though

and david ortiz won the golden thong from his previous winner Jason Giambi

congrats to all fo them :D

TragicallyHip
11-10-2009, 06:00 PM

Spoken like a true Yankees fan...

infernoscurse
11-10-2009, 06:02 PM
how was elvis andrus going to win a golden glove with 22 errors his uzr was 10. though

marco scutaro had 10 errors and his uzr 0.9

jeter had 8 errors and a 6.6 uzr

ciaban
scutero is hand and away a better defensive ss than jeter and so was bartlett

infernoscurse
Spoken like a true Yankees fan...

:rolleyes:

NYK|NYY
11-10-2009, 06:03 PM
These awards mean nothing, rarely do the right guys win them.

1sg1977
11-10-2009, 06:08 PM
scutero is hand and away a better defensive ss than jeter and so was bartlett

Bartlett??? The guy with a slightly higher range factor than Jeter, a lower UZR, and made 20 errors in 100 less innings?
ok

infernoscurse
11-10-2009, 06:11 PM
lol i bet if jeter won the GG with 22 errors in that year everybody here would be throwing a fit, to me this is the first legit GG he has won and deserved it

Strike89
11-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Gold Gloves are not great awards to determine best defensive fielders. However Teixeira and Mauer both deserved to be labeled as the best at their positions this year so good for them

ciaban
11-10-2009, 06:20 PM
lol i bet if jeter won the GG with 22 errors in that year everybody here would be throwing a fit, to me this is the first legit GG he has won and deserved it

BLASPHEMY!:speechless: are you trying to say that players like vizquel had better defensive stats at one point, the real problem here is that they didnt give jeter the gg for 2nd base to!

ciaban
11-10-2009, 06:21 PM
also aybars numbers were better at ss than jeters, but angels players rarely get any love for the glove, the reason hunter got the gg is perception, there were better cf in the al

infernoscurse
11-10-2009, 06:26 PM
actually franklin gutierrez numbers were better in CF and he didnt win

ciaban
11-10-2009, 06:27 PM
to all the yankee fans that want to cry out sour grapes to everyone, i would like to point out that no one is complaining about tex getting the glove, that is pretty reasonable

YankeeFan28
11-10-2009, 06:27 PM
to all the yankee fans that want to cry out sour grapes to everyone, i would like to point out that no one is complaining about tex getting the glove, that is pretty reasonable

Jeter deserves the GG more the Teixeira. I understand Jeter isn't the best choice. But Teixeira was an even worse choice.

ciaban
11-10-2009, 06:31 PM
actually franklin gutierrez numbers were better in CF and he didnt win

yeah i mentioned that, not him by name but the fact that hunter didnt deserve it, and i mentioned that HUNTER got it because of preception just like jeter but he was once the best CF unlike jeter who was never the best ss

infernoscurse
11-10-2009, 06:36 PM
and angel players get love too

in my life time these angels have won GG

jt snow (2)
darin erstad 3
orlando cabrera 1
torii hunter
jim edmonds 2
devon white 2
gary pettis 2
bob boone 4
mark langston 5
bengie molina 2

bringinwood
11-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Jeter deserves the GG more the Teixeira. I understand Jeter isn't the best choice. But Teixeira was an even worse choice.

At first, Konerko, Overbay, Kotchman and probably Morales were better than Teixeria this year defensively...

At short, the list is even worse...

Scutaro, Aybar, Andrus, Izturis, Cabrera, Betancourt...

Take your pick... They were all better....

Catcher...

Gerald Laird got absolutely robbed... Barajas was better than Mauer, as were Kurt Suzuki and you can make a case for Ivan Rodriguez...

jrenz31
11-10-2009, 06:45 PM

How are you going to make the argument that Teixiera was a worse choice than Jeter?

infernoscurse
11-10-2009, 06:47 PM
again, if jeter won the GG with 22 errors how would you feel? why is andrus even on consideration after 22 errors

kotchman played with the braves when the season started so how was he going to beat teix http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2479/thlaugh.gif

jrenz31
11-10-2009, 06:48 PM
At first, Konerko, Overbay, Kotchman and probably Morales were better than Teixeria this year defensively...

Catcher...

Gerald Laird got absolutely robbed... Barajas was better than Mauer, as were Kurt Suzuki and you can make a case for Ivan Rodriguez...

Your looking too deeply at it, first of all Cabrera's fielding percentage was way worse than Jeter's and there is no way that Betancourt would ever get the award over Jeter.

YankeeFan28
11-10-2009, 06:49 PM

Catcher...

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=ss&stats=bat&lg=al&qual=y&type=6&season=2009&month=0

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=1b&stats=bat&lg=al&qual=y&type=6&season=2009&month=0

Just a quick run down though. Jeter was 3rd. While Tex was in negative territory.

bringinwood
11-10-2009, 06:49 PM
How are you going to make the argument that Teixiera was a worse choice than Jeter?

The gold glove is an absolute sham....

They might as well have given it to my daughter, she was just as deserving...

This award is just another way to give the stars publicity and have other players who are more deserving get robbed every year...

The way I look at it is, if Jeter was on the Pirates would he have won the gold glove .... :laugh:

He doesn't compare to half the shortstops in baseball defensively...

infernoscurse
11-10-2009, 06:55 PM
hey, the pirates win GG's also

bringinwood
11-10-2009, 06:55 PM
http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=ss&stats=bat&lg=al&qual=y&type=6&season=2009&month=0

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=1b&stats=bat&lg=al&qual=y&type=6&season=2009&month=0

Just a quick run down though. Jeter was 3rd. While Tex was in negative territory.

Well, this is a little more accurate...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_/league/al/sort/rangeFactor

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_/position/ss/league/al/sort/rangeFactor

Jeter had the worst range factor in baseball for American League shortstops...

Tex had the 3rd worst for 1st baseman...

Last time I checked... Those are pretty bad stats for " gold glove " winners....

Throw out zone factor when you only cover two feet to either side of you...

bringinwood
11-10-2009, 06:57 PM
hey, the pirates win GG's also

I'm a Phillies fan and I will tell you that Jack Wilson has been robbed for three years running now...

J-Roll has never deserved a gold glove.... Period...

Jack Wilson is the best defensive shortstop in baseball and has finished runner up three times....

It's highway robbery...

infernoscurse
11-10-2009, 06:58 PM
maybe he didnt have 22 errors like elvis andrus

bringinwood
11-10-2009, 06:59 PM
maybe he didnt have 22 errors like elvis andrus

If he tried to cover half as much ground as Andrus... He would have 50...

jrenz31
11-10-2009, 07:04 PM
The gold glove is an absolute sham....

They might as well have given it to my daughter, she was just as deserving...

This award is just another way to give the stars publicity and have other players who are more deserving get robbed every year...

The way I look at it is, if Jeter was on the Pirates would he have won the gold glove .... :laugh:

He doesn't compare to half the shortstops in baseball defensively...

Thats exactly what Im saying...you made the point that guys like Yuniesky Betancourt were more deserving, but he is never going to win. They are going to give the award to guys like Jeter and Teixiera because they are superstars. Everyone knows that they dont have the best defensive numbers.

YankeeFan28
11-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Well, this is a little more accurate...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_/league/al/sort/rangeFactor

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_/position/ss/league/al/sort/rangeFactor

Last time I checked... Those are pretty bad stats for " gold glove " winners....

What makes RF more accurate over someones total defensive value?

infernoscurse
11-10-2009, 07:05 PM
i was talking about jack wilson

natepro
11-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Sad to see Kendry get robbed, though Torii rather undeservedly got one.

Jeter, of course, didn't deserve it.

Longoria was at least the right pick, though I have to admit that the little homer living somewhere inside of me would've enjoyed seeing Figgins win it, just cause that little dude gets overlooked so much. They also got Polanco right, which was surprising.

Anyway... whatever. No shock that they got most of them wrong, sadly.

yankschamps09
11-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Teixera & Jeter Deserve It/No Red Sox LOL

jrenz31
11-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Sad to see Kendry get robbed, though Torii rather undeservedly got one.

Jeter, of course, didn't deserve it.

Longoria was at least the right pick, though I have to admit that the little homer living somewhere inside of me would've enjoyed seeing Figgins win it, just cause that little dude gets overlooked so much. They also got Polanco right, which was surprising.

Anyway... whatever. No shock that they got most of them wrong, sadly.

Are you an Angels fan orr wut? Can't tell.

Jamiecballer
11-10-2009, 07:29 PM

Well I don't agree with most of the winners I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock into range factor.

Hypothetically, a shortstop on a team full of fly ball pitchers is bound to have a subpar range factor regardless of how outstanding he actually is. If said shortstop plays next to a third baseman with outstanding range he is further penalized.

It's about as flawed a premise as you can get.

And Aaron Hill is the best second baseman in the AL. Long live the Fielding Bible.

natepro
11-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Are you an Angels fan orr wut? Can't tell.

Are you an English speaker?! :confused:

I guess you skipped over the parts where I said Torri didn't deserve it, and Longoria did?

Jeter didn't lead the AL in UZR, Cesar Izturis did.

Tex didn't lead the league in UZR, Kendry Morales did.

Torri Hunter wasn't even in the top-10 in UZR.

Longoria led the AL in UZR. Figgins was 2nd.

I know you're used to dealing with ridiculous homers, and probably are one yourself, but don't for a moment think I just randomly decided Yankees players didn't deserve it and Angels players did. That would just make you post things that caused you to look... less than bright, shall we say?

YankeeFan28
11-10-2009, 07:48 PM
When does Jeter's MVP award come out?

GoatMilk
11-10-2009, 07:49 PM
When does Jeter's MVP award come out?

maybe in 2010 because he sure as hell isnt getting 2009's

natepro
11-10-2009, 07:49 PM
They're actually creating a new one.. MVP of Baseball.. for him. It'll be announced last, of course, so it is the one people can focus on the most.

YankeeFan28
11-10-2009, 07:50 PM
maybe in 2010 because he sure as hell isnt getting 2009's
Don't be so sure.

J4KOP99
11-10-2009, 07:52 PM
If Jeter wins the MVP award I will laugh my *** off. That will be the happiest day of my life. Could you imagine the responses we would see on this site?

TheRuckus
11-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Hopefully never.

They got Polanco and Longoria right. Jeter wasn't too terrible a choice and was pretty predictable. Tex had an off year but his reputation preceded him.

Gutierrez was straight up robbed- Ichiro wasn't a bad choice, but Hunter and Jones were.

infernoscurse
11-10-2009, 07:56 PM
if jeter won the mvp i would go and hide because of the chaos and the riot cause by posters would be too much of a hassle, it would be like Armageddon in the forum

i think i should prepare a forum bunker just in case, maybe make a new screen name as a Reds fan, no one ever makes fun of the reds

natepro
11-10-2009, 07:58 PM
I enjoy how Jeter winning isn't bad because he'd be what is clearly the wrong choice... it's bad because people would be upset about it. :laugh2:

PSD, you never fail me.

bringinwood
11-10-2009, 08:01 PM
They're actually creating a new one.. MVP of Baseball.. for him. It'll be announced last, of course, so it is the one people can focus on the most.

Or how about the most valuable player in the Bronx...

MVPB...

They can have 10 of em every season... They can automatically go to the hall of fame, win every gold glove, and the CY Young just for winning this award...

Of course, only the Yankees get to vote on those awards ( since they have the most to gain financially from it all )...

You don't think the writers understand the Yankees need publicity for them to still have a job... lol...

I wouldn't be sore if it wasn't so damn obvious that other players in this league are farrrrrrrrrr and awayyyyyy better and more deserving....

Ian.
11-10-2009, 08:12 PM
The lack of responses over Franklin Gutierrez's robbed GG are sickening.

This is officially the biggest snub I've witnessed.

When I say witnessed I mean "cared about."

:laugh2:

Gutz, you're ****ing amazing and still my hero even if you were robbed by Torii ****ing Hunter.

Is there a way to find out who votedfor Hunter and Adam Jones? If so, I will personally write a letter to every single person explaining how big of a ****ing moron they are.

BigGuy951
11-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Aybar deserved it at SS, but i'm not complaining. It's just an award, as long as he helps my team out it doesnt matter if he's wearing a little medal around his neck like an honor-roll student or not. Kendry did great as well, especially since his nick name used to be "hands of stone", but Teixeira was a lock no matter what. Hunter's style of play and legacy won his award. He plays with more heart than anyone and i'm glad he got to add another award to his case.

rachco
11-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Jeter? come on range? barely a radius

tmacsc2
11-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Andrus would have been my pick....and Gutierrez over Jones

thank you! Gutierrez was way better than jones in center

tmacsc2
11-10-2009, 08:33 PM
The lack of responses over Franklin Gutierrez's robbed GG are sickening.

Gutz, you're ****ing amazing and still my hero even if you were robbed by Torii ****ing Hunter.

Is there a way to find out who votedfor Hunter and Adam Jones? If so, I will personally write a letter to every single person explaining how big of a ****ing moron they are.
im with you man

Confusion
11-10-2009, 08:33 PM
It's good to see Mauer and Hunter get another one.

j-mart
11-10-2009, 08:35 PM
And Aaron Hill is the best second baseman in the AL. Long live the Fielding Bible.

Aaron Hill should have won the Gold Glove. Hill led AL 2Bs in chances (798), assists (484), double plays (129) and range factor/game (5.07).

Ian.
11-10-2009, 08:40 PM
:mad:

Ian.
11-10-2009, 08:41 PM
It's good to see Mauer and Hunter get another one.

:mad: GTFO

natepro
11-10-2009, 08:50 PM

Gutz, you're ****ing amazing and still my hero even if you were robbed by Torii ****ing Hunter.:laugh2: I do agree, though. I didn't think Hunter would even win one this year.

Aybar deserved it at SS
Aybar was definitely good, but Cesar Izturis deserved it more.

swagga81
11-10-2009, 08:51 PM
elivs andrus should of won hands down but yet this is why MLB is so corrupt! Derek maybe the mvp of the league but hes fielding is average!! and if all of you yankee fans disaree with me than all off you get a :facepalm:

natepro
11-10-2009, 08:53 PM
He's not the MVP.

Jamiecballer
11-10-2009, 09:06 PM
He's not the MVP.

now that Jeter has been given (and I do mean given ) the gold glove I'm not so sure he won't win it. and it scares me.

jrenz31
11-10-2009, 09:08 PM

I guess you skipped over the parts where I said Torri didn't deserve it, and Longoria did?

I know you're used to dealing with ridiculous homers, and probably are one yourself, but don't for a moment think I just randomly decided Yankees players didn't deserve it and Angels players did. That would just make you post things that caused you to look... less than bright, shall we say?

Allright to be honest I misread your post saying that Torri Hunter didnt deserve it, but I was just making a little joke no need to freak out. To be honest I obviously want Yankees to win all of the awards, and don't particularly think Jeter deserved a Gold Glove this year. However, its pretty obvious that they dont give the award to the best defensive player, they give it to players that get the most attention. And by the way I do speak english.

Ian.
11-10-2009, 09:12 PM
I'd like to say this again.....

**** you voters. ****ing morons.

ruckus16969
11-10-2009, 09:14 PM
been a while sense there was no BoSox on the list

ciaban
11-10-2009, 09:20 PM

you would be surprised how many good fielders outside of the eastern seaboard, i mean there are only 9 gg in the league and 14 teams, its not that surprising

NYK|NYY
11-10-2009, 09:22 PM
I love how everyone gets out raged when these awards come out. The voters clearly do not take it seriously, so we shouldn't.

MooseWithFleas
11-10-2009, 09:34 PM
It's about time Buehrle won one.... He should probably have 4 or 5 by now.

MnTwins
11-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Homer Pick = Nick Punto....That is a man who can pick the ball. Most of his errors come when he is sliding halfway to centerfield gets the ball, and throws high.

Ian.
11-10-2009, 09:38 PM

Gutierrez deserved one as an infant.

That's how big of a sham this thing was.

donnie23
11-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Gutierrez is a snub, the rest are fine. Jeter is not a better fielder than Andrus but he had a better defensive year. They don't give errors to guys with great range, they give them to guys who make a mistake. 22 errors is alot. Jeter did not deserve the first 3 but he had a fine year this year. Get mad when somebody has an outstanding year like Viz or when somebody who doesn't have a good year wins. None of these are that case outside of Gut.

bosox3431
11-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Polanco, Mauer, and Longoria were all deserved.

There were better options every where else. Teix wasnt deserving, there were 2-3 more guys more deserving. Jeter isnt a bad pick, but there were more deserving players. Adam Jones is a horrible pick, and there was more deserving players then both Hunter and Ichiro

bomber0104
11-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Andrus is a better fielder than Jeter but Jeter did have a very fine year and this award usually has gone to the better hitter for some unexplained reason, errors also hurt Andrus.

Which is why i'm pissed Hill didnt win

bomber0104
11-10-2009, 10:55 PM
How Hill didnt win is beyond me? He was already one of the best defensive 2B in the AL and stats prove that. Not to mention all the offence he provided. The same reason Jeter has been winning GG for years

Jack of Blades
11-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Jeter only got it because he's the MLB's pretty boy, just like Tom Brady. Elvis Andrus is by far the best defensive SS in the majors.

Havoc Wreaker
11-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Jeter only got it because he's the MLB's pretty boy, just like Tom Brady. Elvis Andrus is by far the best defensive SS in the majors.
THIS (http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=6303765) should prove it.

Ridiculous, and I mean his range, not the fact that he did not get the GG.

YankeeFan28
11-10-2009, 11:55 PM
THIS (http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=6303765) should prove it.

Ridiculous, and I mean his range, not the fact that he did not get the GG.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=7043507&c_id=nyy&topic_id=7221298

:shrug:

Havoc Wreaker
11-11-2009, 12:32 AM
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=7043507&c_id=nyy&topic_id=7221298

:shrug:
:confused:

So I show Andrus' fenomenal range and you show me......Andy Pettite?

EaglesJackson10
11-11-2009, 12:35 AM
Andrus is certainly better than Jeter but I wouldn't say he is the best. Every scout in baseball will tell you that Marco Scutaro is the best defensive SS in baseball.

Imperial
11-11-2009, 12:44 AM
C: Joe Mauer
1st: Mark Texiera
2nd: Placido Polanco
SS: Derek Jeter
3B: Evan Longoria
OF: Adam Jones
OF: Torri Hunter
OF: Ichiro
P: Mark Buehrle

Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091110&content_id=7645222&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

For the first time in his career, Jeter got a gold glove in a year where he was actually above average defensively. He again wasn't the best defensive shortstop, but I consider this progress as far as the voting goes lol

Mr. October
11-11-2009, 01:00 AM
:confused:

So I show Andrus' fenomenal range and you show me......Andy Pettite?

You have to clip the 3rd video (I believe) of the series at the bottom.

Havoc Wreaker
11-11-2009, 01:04 AM
All right.

While that was a very nice defensive effort by Jeter, who I have no problem with at all. that ball was bouncing high, in Andrus' play the ball is rolling all the way and notice the distance to the second base side of the bag where the ball passes by.

MooseWithFleas
11-11-2009, 01:42 AM
Andrus is god-like. Him and Guti definitely deserved one this year.

Sean McG
11-11-2009, 02:04 AM
With the way this season was, I was pumped to see Longo get it. Hopefully this is the start of a long chain of GG's for him.

bmurphy28
11-11-2009, 04:13 AM
Jones deserved it and so did Nick Markakis

ciaban
11-11-2009, 08:34 AM
For the first time in his career, Jeter got a gold glove in a year where he was actually above average defensively. He again wasn't the best defensive shortstop, but I consider this progress as far as the voting goes lol

this isnt progress jueter had a very good offensive year, thats all, jeter makes heads up plays and thats confused for good d, the only difference between this year and others is he was more deserving, he still didnt deserve it though!

Matt-the-great
11-11-2009, 09:22 AM
if an award cannot accurately and realistically award the appropriate players, then it should not exist.

Life'sABrees
11-11-2009, 10:34 AM
if an award cannot accurately and realistically award the appropriate players, then it should not exist.

Well then no awards would exist since they're all subject to voting and I've never seen an award not debated after the fact... If we went by your standards we would just have awards for specific stats like most RBIs or Least errors... Things we could know instantly who the recipient is. So far reading these posts I've found that in the opinions of PSD posters there were six or seven shortstops worthy of gold gloves and each has come with a slew of statistical backing and arguments against. There are some players on this list I would change if I were the lone voter and statistically back up but in the end these weren't terrible picks and I'm happy for all the players named as AL Gold Glovers.

thefeckcampaign
11-11-2009, 10:37 AM
I didn't even read the thread, but after knowing this forum as well as I do, I can almost guarantee a majority of the post include how the award is nonsense and Jeter winning proves it.

EDIT: I was halfway there. ;)

thefeckcampaign
11-11-2009, 10:53 AM

So basically to you UZR is the be all, end for the Gold Glove? You lead in UZR you should win the GOLD GLOVE? It's that simple then.

I guess why even have a voting process. I am being serious, by the way.

King P
11-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Both of them earned it. Tex played great at 1st, and some of the plays he made were unbelievable. I cringe thinking how we would have done if Giambi was still at 1st.

Jeter earned his too. Even though I will admit he's an average defender, I don't consider him horrible like everybody else does. He has great hands and a good arm, he just lacks range. However, he has been playing better over the last few years at short. And I believe it's because he's playing between A-Rod and Cano (2 great defenders), which allows him to play further back, eliminating the range problem.

donnie23
11-11-2009, 11:53 AM
All right.

While that was a very nice defensive effort by Jeter, who I have no problem with at all. that ball was bouncing high, in Andrus' play the ball is rolling all the way and notice the distance to the second base side of the bag where the ball passes by.

But if Andrus throws the ball away that is an error and thus the 22 errors.

miller74
11-11-2009, 12:11 PM

nothing to sneeze at there, quite the honor

infernoscurse
11-11-2009, 12:20 PM
theres no way to justify a player to win a GG with 22 errors, if hes a great defensive ss he will get better in time and win so i dont see why the hard feelings cause he didnt win

VRP723
11-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Izturis is my boy, I remember watching him in Los Angeles, his defense was unreal.

I hear so much about Gutierrez but I've never seen him play, maybe that's why a lot more people aren't complaining, because we don't see Seattle play very much.

tbone2171
11-11-2009, 12:41 PM

LOL........If you ever watch the Twins you would know that Nick Punto is the worst base runner in the history of baseball. Not a great play by Jeter..just dumb baserunning by Punto

runnermjr1296
11-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Gold Gloves are nice, MVP's are nice,Batting Tittles are nice,No Hitters are nice,Silver Sluggers are nice, Cy Young's are nice. The YANKEES WON THE WORLD SERIES THAT'S FANTASTIC!!!!! And that is the only award I care about!

runnermjr1296
11-11-2009, 12:46 PM
LOL........If you ever watch the Twins you would know that Nick Punto is the worst base runner in the history of baseball. Not a great play by Jeter..just dumb baserunning by Punto

Nick Punto worst baserunner in history???? I guess you have never seen Jorge posada run the bases have you?

ShockerArt
11-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Franklin Gutierrez was robbed. By all accounts (experts and defensive metrics) he had a historically great year in CF.

Tragedy
11-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Franklin Gutierrez was robbed. By all accounts (experts and defensive metrics) he had a historically great year in CF.
Yep.

But as long as Hunter is playing major league baseball, he's getting Gold Gloves..Even if he shifts to DH.

Pretty terrible. Jones shouldn't have gotten that award.

bringinwood
11-11-2009, 02:17 PM
theres no way to justify a player to win a GG with 22 errors, if hes a great defensive ss he will get better in time and win so i dont see why the hard feelings cause he didnt win

It's not just Andrus...

There were, at least, 5 shortstops more deserving than Jeter...

Your argument is so flawed it's ridiculous...

Errors aren't a good metric when calculating the gold glove... Errors in accordance with range factor is a great metric...

Zone factor means nothing when your range is two feet to either side...

By your argument, all Jeter should do from now on is cement himself to one position, never move and only play balls hit directly to him...

He would never get an error, be the best defensive shortstop in baseball, and all he would have to do is go do another mastercard commercial to seal the deal so we'd talk about him a little more... ;)

donnie23
11-11-2009, 02:28 PM
It's not just Andrus...

Errors aren't a good metric when calculating the gold glove... Errors in accordance with range factor is a great metric...

By your argument, all Jeter should do from now on is cement himself to one position, never move and only play balls hit directly to him...

He would never get an error, be the best defensive shortstop in baseball, and all he would have to do is go do another mastercard commercial to seal the deal so we'd talk about him a little more... ;)

An error is a mistake that leads to an extra base. 22 errors is alot. Nobody is saying Andrus isn't a better fileder but Jeter had a fine overal defensive year and is as deserving as any. His 1st three were a joke this one is well deserved.

1-800-STFU
11-11-2009, 02:31 PM

Yeah this is what I was going to say, it's a crock of ****.

Rad_Racing
11-11-2009, 03:18 PM

Ortiz was given the GG for DHs...don't ask me how that one happened though.

bringinwood
11-11-2009, 03:29 PM
An error is a mistake that leads to an extra base. 22 errors is alot. Nobody is saying Andrus isn't a better fileder but Jeter had a fine overal defensive year and is as deserving as any. His 1st three were a joke this one is well deserved.

Ask Elvis Andrus, Cesar Izturis, Orlando Cabrera, Erick Aybar, Marco Scutaro, and Yuniesky Betancourt...

They all deserved it before Jeter...

His range factor was almost a point lower than Izturis :laugh:

He might as well bury his feet in the dirt while playing out there and just put his glove on the ground because he sure as hell doesn't move...

But, the writers need a job and New York needs the publicity or baseball doesn't get national tv contracts...

The day that baseball realizes they don't need New York as much as New York needs baseball, that will be the day baseball can fully flourish...

They need to maximize their marketing potential...

YankeeFan28
11-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Ask Elvis Andrus, Cesar Izturis, Orlando Cabrera, Erick Aybar, Marco Scutaro, and Yuniesky Betancourt...

He might as well bury his feet in the dirt while playing out there and just put his glove on the ground because he sure as hell doesn't move...

But, the writers need a job and New York needs the publicity or baseball doesn't get national tv contracts...

The day that baseball realizes they don't need New York as much as New York needs baseball, that will be the day baseball can fully flourish...

again, you're defining your argument by using RF. Which is not a tell all defenisve stat.

Jeter was a plus defender by most sabermatrics this season. Not deserving of the award. But it's not as bad as it was when he won 3 in a row.

YankeeFan28
11-11-2009, 04:22 PM
How is anyone not crying that Ben Zobrist was not awarded?

donnie23
11-11-2009, 04:42 PM

This is just yankee hate, Jeter's range was fine this year, uzr +6.6.

Ian.
11-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Jones deserved it and so did Nick Markakis

I'm all ears man. Please give your argument, we would like to hear it.

:nod:

Havoc Wreaker
11-12-2009, 12:19 AM
How is anyone not crying that Ben Zobrist was not awarded?
He played too many different positions to qualify at any of them :shrug:

I am crying here, yes in the AL Gold Glove Thread, about Orlando-****ing-Hudson winning the GG over Chase Utley. :pity:

philab
11-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Franklin Gutierrez might be the best fielder in all of baseball. It's criminal that he didn't get the Gold Glove.

Instead of complaining about Gold Gloves every year, some sect of the media should just create their own award for fielding. After a few years, maybe it will catch on and the Gold Glove voters will learn to pay more attention. It really is the worst award in all of sports.

donnie23
11-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Don't managers vote for the GG? Somebody should look up exactly who votes.

infernoscurse
11-12-2009, 02:08 PM
It's not just Andrus...

ok then by your argument all a ss has to do is get to the ball, ill put the fast players at ss and just have them get to the ball , knock them down even if they make 22 errors on throws or bobbles

the award isn't about who has the most range or who has the fewest errors is a balance of overall performance

Ian.
11-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Franklin Gutierrez might be the best fielder in all of baseball. It's criminal that he didn't get the Gold Glove.

Instead of complaining about Gold Gloves every year, some sect of the media should just create their own award for fielding. After a few years, maybe it will catch on and the Gold Glove voters will learn to pay more attention. It really is the worst award in all of sports.

The fielding bible. (http://www.fieldingbible.com/)

bmurphy28
11-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Nick Punto worst baserunner in history???? I guess you have never seen Jorge posada run the bases have you?

or Jack Cust?

philab
11-13-2009, 03:30 PM
The fielding bible. (http://www.fieldingbible.com/)

I meant the national media, particularly the newspapers.

Obviously someone somewhere gives out fielding awards outside of the Gold Gloves. The Fielding Bible is clearly not big enough to accomplish what I described, though.

Ian.
11-13-2009, 09:18 PM
or Jack Cust?

Are you going to give an argument as to why Adam Jones was deserving?

infernoscurse
11-14-2009, 12:02 AM
because franklyn gutierrez is a republican and adam jones is not

VikingsPeterson
11-14-2009, 01:04 AM
A-rod :clap:

bagwell368
11-14-2009, 10:14 PM
This is just yankee hate, Jeter's range was fine this year, uzr +6.6.

I'm not way upset he got it this year (metrics say like 3rd or 4th), but, tell me IYO how many of his other GG's did he have coming?

bagwell368
11-14-2009, 10:16 PM

As usual the voters go on rep - nobody can tell me Kaat or Maddux deserved every GG they got... NFW