PDA

View Full Version : Gerald Wallace leading the NBA in rebounding

DerekRE_3
11-10-2009, 03:01 PM
No surprise the NBA's rebounding leader would be on the floor for tonight's Bobcats-Magic game: Orlando center Dwight Howard has led the league the past two seasons.

Huge surprise that Howard isn't the one leading the league. That would be Bobcats small forward Gerald Wallace, averaging at least two more rebounds than anyone else.

The kicker is Wallace, a 6-foot-7 wing player, believes he can sustain this 13.8-rebound pace.

"Why not?" he asked Monday, sounding matter-of-fact rather than boastful. "God willing, if I stay healthy, I think I can."

Wallace would be the first man his size to win a rebounding title since Dennis Rodman in 1998. Rebounding titles go to the big men - Howard, Kevin Garnett, Ben Wallace, Dikembe Mutombo.

The thing is Gerald Wallace doesn't see himself as a little guy.

"Up until I got into 10th or 11th grade, I was a big. I know how bigs think," Wallace said. "I'm used to playing with my back to the basket and banging."

Maybe so, but never to this degree. Wallace's career rebounding average, over eight previous NBA seasons, is 5.4. Last season was his career-best at 7.8.

So what suddenly got into him, to more than double his career output? Circumstance. He sized up his team's needs and his abilities and this was the best way to help.

"Our two starting bigs (Tyson Chandler and Boris Diaw) are trying to get back in game condition," after ankle injuries, Wallace said. "I knew I could do it if I just kept my mind on rebounding. It's easier from the wings because the bigs block out bigs. There are a lot of guards who could rebound more if they wanted to."

The other factor is Wallace hasn't shot well this season - 32 percent from the field - and he sees rebounding as a way to atone for the misses.

Coach Larry Brown appreciates that, not only for how rebounding helps, but what it stands for. Rebounding isn't fun the way shooting is. And the opportunistic way Wallace does this - sprinting from the perimeter and lunging for everything - is risky business.

It's the ultimate measure of "want-to."

"Players who are unbelievable rebounders are usually also unbelievable teammates," Brown said. "So many of those guys who I've had - Buck Williams, Dale Davis, Tony Davis, Bobby Jones - were guys who wouldn't take possessions off."

The irony in this is Brown is a compulsive teacher - that rare coach who'd rather be at practice than games. And there's almost nothing about rebounding that is a function of coaching.

"You can't teach rebounding - that's an instinct," Brown said.

"You can teach a guy to block out or maybe how to roll out of (an opponent's) block-out. But at the end of the day, you've just got to be relentless in your pursuit of balls.

"He's got that, he's a great athlete, he jumps and he doesn't assume the ball is going in the basket."

Source: Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/bobcats/story/1046841.html)

GreatMustachio1
11-10-2009, 04:59 PM
this is great to see. We are very fortunate to have him on our team

bigsams50
11-10-2009, 07:53 PM
The thing is Gerald Wallace doesn't see himself as a little guy.

"Up until I got into 10th or 11th grade, I was a big. I know how bigs think," Wallace said. "I'm used to playing with my back to the basket and banging."

This explains alot lol.Im really happy he's on our team man, he is the true professional, he goes out there every night and gives it his all. Greatest Bobcat off all time(not much but hey lol) and an extremely underrated player

asmarks18
11-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Mavs fans on PSD want Dirk in the starting lineup for the All-Star Game and I am sure you guys would love to see Wallace start next to bron so how about us Mavs fans vote for Wallace (even though I was already planning to vote for him) and you guys vote for Dirk? If not it's cool don't worry about it. Good luck to you guys.

Chateamsfan
11-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Mavs fans on PSD want Dirk in the starting lineup for the All-Star Game and I am sure you guys would love to see Wallace start next to bron so how about us Mavs fans vote for Wallace (even though I was already planning to vote for him) and you guys vote for Dirk? If not it's cool don't worry about it. Good luck to you guys.

Actually I already voted for Dirk!

asmarks18
11-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Actually I already voted for Dirk!

Well if you could keep that up that would be great! lol. I made 5 accounts on NBA.com so I could vote a lot so Gerald will get my 5 votes every day until the polls close on Jan. 22nd.

DerekRE_3
12-09-2009, 05:22 AM
Gerald Wallace is still leading the NBA in rebounding, at 12.4 rebounds a game. Pretty amazing that he is still getting this many a game now that we are a quarter of the way through the season. He hasn't tapered off at all yet, and has actually averaging an impressive 14.5 RPG in December so far.

bigsams50
12-09-2009, 06:29 AM
Its very impressive. especially since he's a SF