PDA

View Full Version : 2011 #1 Pick Jeremy Tyler Becoming A Team Cancer In Europe

Fresno
11-09-2009, 12:22 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/sports/basketball/08tyler.html?_r=4&ref=sports

Some quotes:

His coach calls him lazy and out of shape. The team captain says he is soft. His teammates say he needs to learn to shut up and show up on time. He has no friends on the team. In extensive interviews with Tyler, his teammates, coaches, his father and advisers, the consensus is that he is so naÔve and immature that he has no idea how naÔve and immature he is. So enamored with his vast potential, Tyler has not developed the work ethic necessary to tap it.

It is too early to declare Tyler a bust, but it is safe to say that he has transformed from a canít-miss prospect into a project.

Tyler still talks openly about retiring with $200 million in the bank after a 15-year N.B.A. career. He also talks about modeling, the documentary being made about him, and how he and his girlfriend, Erin Wright, the daughter of the rapper Eazy-E, will grow up to be an American power couple.

:facepalm:

Gibby23
11-09-2009, 12:28 PM
#1 pick for who?

Pensx3
11-09-2009, 12:31 PM
???????

Hellcrooner
11-09-2009, 12:34 PM
not surprisig.

Euro basket mentalitty is WAY different tha Nba Mentaility.

Fresno
11-09-2009, 12:42 PM
#1 pick for who?

Likely the New York Knicks.:)

Gibby23
11-09-2009, 12:46 PM
He wasn't even ranked #1 at his position.

unwantedplayer
11-09-2009, 12:48 PM
I don't know who he is, but sounds like he is a complete douchebag.

kikeyanez
11-09-2009, 12:55 PM
he sounds like the next jamarcus russell

Fresno
11-09-2009, 01:04 PM
He wasn't even ranked #1 at his position.
What are you talking about?

Hes been consistently ranked among The Top 5 players in the class of 2010 since rankings have been kept on the 2010 class.

Hes not ranked anymore because hes a professional now.:facepalm:

SA5195
11-09-2009, 01:13 PM
I saw a mix of him right now, and he can only dunk, and thats about it lol.

He does seem lazy, when he does a spin move it looks like he's falling down lol, ya he's tall, but even when fowards in the NBA spin they don't look like they're falling down.

theuuord
11-09-2009, 01:13 PM
they hated Brandon Jennings over there, too. It's becoming clear that taking the Euro road isn't a particularly nice one on star players.

MTone8788
11-09-2009, 01:36 PM
He is disrespecting the great country of Israel, he sounds like a piece.

lakerboy
11-09-2009, 02:06 PM
He'll learn from this.

what54!?
11-09-2009, 02:10 PM
:pity:

bet he wishes he finished high school now

azkarraga
11-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Sorry to sound like a parent, but kids should stay in school

topdog
11-09-2009, 03:01 PM
they hated Brandon Jennings over there, too. It's becoming clear that taking the Euro road isn't a particularly nice one on star players.

Talent doesn't translate to "great guy" though. I mean everyone can talk about how great Jennings is playing or how much potential Tyler has, but there are the Marbury's and Francis's of the world who don't give a **** about anyone but themselves and their giant egos.

AI4MVP
11-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Jeremy Tyler is the next Zach Randolph. Although i think Zach is one of the best bigmen in the league(automatic 20 10), he has all the prolems that dont make him a first option, star player type player.

jeremy tyler will be just that

Gibby23
11-09-2009, 03:18 PM
What are you talking about?

Hes been consistently ranked among The Top 5 players in the class of 2010 since rankings have been kept on the 2010 class.

Hes not ranked anymore because hes a professional now.:facepalm:

Even when he was in highschool he was the 6th ranked center. He is not even going to be a top 5 pick and you say #1 pick.:facepalm:

Trouble87
11-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Ive never heard of this kid before today....

Fool
11-09-2009, 03:32 PM
And THIS is the reason they should have to go to college.

Brew Crew
11-09-2009, 03:34 PM

You go tell that to BJ then and see what he thinks because everything that he's been quoted on indicates to most people, that he believe he made a great choice and that he felt at home in Italy...

No practice restrictions like the NCAA has, personal coaches, playing with professionals at the age of 19....Going Europe hasn't hurt him to bad in his rookie season either huh?

Hellcrooner
11-09-2009, 04:45 PM
beig a star in h school does mean jack.

Americans really underate the level of the game in europe.

_Supreme_
11-09-2009, 05:05 PM
I had never heard of this guy before.

smith&wesson
11-09-2009, 05:42 PM
LOL who ?
and also
who cares ?

let him make the nba first then we can critisize him.
he already sounds ignorant.

philab
11-09-2009, 05:51 PM
If he really acts as it says, Europe may have been the best choice for him.

Maybe the tougher competition and lack of worshippers will teach the kid some humility and he'll come back a more mature, complete player.

At this point he really has no other options besides maturing or failing. He can't play in college or the NBA and he's got TWO years in Europe. If he's worth the hype at all, he'll mature both as a player and in the more general sense.

theuuord
11-09-2009, 05:58 PM
You go tell that to BJ then and see what he thinks because everything that he's been quoted on indicates to most people, that he believe he made a great choice and that he felt at home in Italy...

he most certainly did not feel comfortable there. He was quoted as saying that he was frustrated with both the playing time he received (or should I say didn't receive) and the overall feel. He is different from Tyler in that he was much more mature in his stint there as a person, but early on the same type of things were being said about Jennings.

No practice restrictions like the NCAA has, personal coaches, playing with professionals at the age of 19....Going Europe hasn't hurt him to bad in his rookie season either huh?

He stunk it up in the Euroleagues and has begun to play excellently now that he's back in the US. That doesn't help your argument.

Hellcrooner
11-09-2009, 06:10 PM
is difficult for americnas kids ( and not the smartest ones) who ha e not been teached fundamentals and ae to high on the hype of the star player thing and about being falshy and showbowating to adjust to palying with plyersrs that have been developing basket iq and have a lot of fundamentals, that play in systems where team is more imortant than indivduals, where you have to saher the ball and give the touches to the open man or to the man doing god that day.

JasonJohnHorn
11-09-2009, 06:36 PM
It sounds like Tyler is taking the same route to the NBA as Brandon Jennings. Surprisingly enough, Jennings, who is playing very well in the NBA right now and leading all rookies in scoring, did not play well in Europe last season (where he played one season instead of going to college). The evidence presented seems to suggest that Tyler is very inmature and arrogant, but there is no secret that players like Kobe, McGrady and Iverson all shared the same arrogance that Tyler is reportedly projecting. They others though all had a strong work ethic and talent. I haven't seen Tyler play, but not putting up big numbers or getting minutes in Europe doesn't mean he won't play well in the NBA. There are many players who get lots of minutes in Europe and play very well in international play (even against the American team) that just don't play well in the NBA (Sarunas Jasikevicius for example).

I have no problem with highschool players jumping to Europe though. Colleges make more money than you can imagine via sports programs and its the kids on the court, or on the field that are doing most of the work, yet they are not allowed to be paid, and other sports, such as tennis and golf, allow anybody who is ready to compete to do so. People have a right to earn a living. If a factory is allowed to pay 17 and 18 year olds money to work on the assembly line, no reason a guy who can ball shouldn't be allowed to make money doing what he's good at. The NBA should let the guys come to the league out of highschool, and allow teams to spend whatever they feel is needed to buy-out European contracts. I'm not a big fan of high-school kids skipping college (only a few were ready to play at the NBA level as a rookie), but they should be allowed to.

TheWatcher34
11-09-2009, 06:38 PM
dream on, dream on ...

Jonathan2323
11-09-2009, 06:40 PM
never heard of him

dodgersuck
11-09-2009, 06:50 PM
what a tool

Bulls_fan90
11-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Why not just stay in school? And he is not rated as the no1 pick...

http://www.nbadraft.net/2011mock_draft

b_rad23
11-09-2009, 07:18 PM
He was projected 10th in the last mock draft I saw with him on it.

Lost Art
11-09-2009, 07:20 PM
never heard of him.......probably never will

Brew Crew
11-09-2009, 07:45 PM
he most certainly did not feel comfortable there. He was quoted as saying that he was frustrated with both the playing time he received (or should I say didn't receive) and the overall feel. He is different from Tyler in that he was much more mature in his stint there as a person, but early on the same type of things were being said about Jennings.

He stunk it up in the Euroleagues and has begun to play excellently now that he's back in the US. That doesn't help your argument.

See...You don't get it. League games are our only indication of whether or not he played well there? No. This wasn't like a college basketball season to him. He thought he was ready and that is the reason he went to Europe to SEASON his game and get better by playing with pros. That's why he was still a lottery pick even with the way he played (or didn't play for that matter). Jennings, although upset he didn't get good playing time, worked on his game twice a day every day against actual professionals, not just college players. He had an ex-professional PG coach telling him what to do every day. I wish I could find the goddamn article I was looking for where I got all my information from but I can't. Jennings still says he would encourage anybody to go play overseas, he called and calls Italy a home to him still, and he said it was the best learning experience he could've gotten. He also says it taught him to be more modest, and gives that reason as to why he doesn't live in a busy area, why he doesn't try and be flashy outside the court, and why he's matured so much.

Not exactly what I was looking for but good enough.

"Maturity-wise, there's no doubt about it," Bogut said. "He played for one of the toughest coaches in Europe, a guy who takes no flak and doesn't let down against guys who come in with a lot of hype. [Jennings] had no choice but to learn, play the game the European way. He's got that good mix now -- he knows we have to play a half-court game sometimes but obviously, his strength is in the open floor."

The no-nonsense coach in Italy, Jasmin Repesa, resigned during the season. In Jennings' first game under replacement Nando Gentile, he got 23 minutes and scored 12 points.

Said Boylan: "I don't know if people knew that he had a good solid work ethic. I don't know if that was helped along by spending the year in Italy. They practice twice a day almost every day. But I think it was something that probably was already there."

Jennings' gamble is seen by many now as a referendum on Eurpoe not as some joy ride for a semester in a fortunate college kid's four-year curriculum but as a jobs program for aspiring NBA players.

(Maybe, maybe not. It hasn't gone so well to date in Israel for Jeremy Tyler, the 18-year-old from San Diego who skipped his senior year in high school and signed a $140,000 deal with Maccabi Haifa with his eye on the 2011 draft. A New York Times story Sunday reported that Tyler reported out-of-shape and teammates question his work habits and maturity.)

It is an awfully small sample size. But in Jennings' case, it seems to have paid off.

"If kids do want to go over there, I don't think it will be bad for them at all," Jennings said. "You'll come back more ready, I'm telling ya. Everything you'll learn over there, you'll see when you get back over here. I had fun the whole year. It humbled me a lot, too, just to sit on the bench for a whole year and realize, sometimes you've got to wait your turn. A lot of things I learned over there I never would have learned in college."

The best thing about being overseas: Focusing only on basketball, no mid-terms involved. The biggest challenge?

"Not the language," Jennings said. "Not the food, the food is wonderful. And the women are beautiful. It was just being away from home. Being that far, that long ... I didn't get to come back to the United States at all, the whole year. Christmas or anything. It was tough, I grinded it out, but I'm back now."

NYY NYJ NYK
11-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Likely the New York Knicks.:)

Don't have a first round pick :o

King P
11-09-2009, 08:04 PM
I love it how people say "he should have stayed in school, he's too young." How do you explain these 15-18 year old players in soccer? 18 is not too young, at that age you can join the military. let him go out and make his own decisions.

Hopefully this decision will help him in the long run, not only as a player but as a person. Only time will tell

Bulls_fan90
11-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Don't have a first round pick :o

Did you trade your 2011 pick as well? :speechless:

Kakaroach
11-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Oh yeah the guy who skipped his senior year of high school to go play in Europe right? What else did ya expect?

Raps18-19 Champ
11-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Dipshit.

pete_one
11-10-2009, 12:28 AM
College isn't that bad of an experience.

IndiansFan337
11-10-2009, 03:04 AM
He never was expected to be the #1 pick. Everything that I have seen has him going from anywhere from 15-25th (mostly after #20) in 2011.

bigsams50
11-10-2009, 04:23 AM
What an idiot, why wouldnt he just finish high school and then go to college. He's not ready for the european game.

yanks19791024
11-10-2009, 11:30 AM
I hope he never gets drafted. High school basketball star cant even graduate High School thats sad.

Raph12
11-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Kwame Brown 2.0

king4day
11-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Kwame Brown 2.0

Not nice to insult Kwame like that. He at least matured and has fun hair. This kid reminds me of Maurice Clarette. Maybe he won't shoot people but he thinks he's the **** when he's not.

Raph12
11-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Not nice to insult Kwame like that. He at least matured and has fun hair. This kid reminds me of Maurice Clarette. Maybe he won't shoot people but he thinks he's the **** when he's not.

:laugh:

IndyRealist
11-10-2009, 12:22 PM
See...You don't get it. League games are our only indication of whether or not he played well there? No. This wasn't like a college basketball season to him. He thought he was ready and that is the reason he went to Europe to SEASON his game and get better by playing with pros. That's why he was still a lottery pick even with the way he played (or didn't play for that matter). Jennings, although upset he didn't get good playing time, worked on his game twice a day every day against actual professionals, not just college players. He had an ex-professional PG coach telling him what to do every day. I wish I could find the goddamn article I was looking for where I got all my information from but I can't. Jennings still says he would encourage anybody to go play overseas, he called and calls Italy a home to him still, and he said it was the best learning experience he could've gotten. He also says it taught him to be more modest, and gives that reason as to why he doesn't live in a busy area, why he doesn't try and be flashy outside the court, and why he's matured so much.

Not exactly what I was looking for but good enough.

He went to Europe to get paid, and because he wasn't likely going to get the grades and SAT scores to go to college. It wasn't to "season his game". It's hard for NBA teams to scout Euro ball, and so he's still projected as a lottery pick based on his potential and what he did in high school.

And yeah, I've never seen him projected #1 over John Wall, and I don't see him going before Cole Aldrich, Derrick Favors, or Willie Warren seeing as he can't be accurately scouted.

On a wider note, I don't see this trend continuing. Euro teams are doing this for publicity now, but if it starts to become common place I don't think they want to become a farm league for the NBA. They ultimately want players who are going to stay with their programs.

Fresno
11-11-2009, 06:54 PM
He went to Europe to get paid, and because he wasn't likely going to get the grades and SAT scores to go to college. It wasn't to "season his game". It's hard for NBA teams to scout Euro ball, and so he's still projected as a lottery pick based on his potential and what he did in high school.

And yeah, I've never seen him projected #1 over John Wall, and I don't see him going before Cole Aldrich, Derrick Favors, or Willie Warren seeing as he can't be accurately scouted.

On a wider note, I don't see this trend continuing. Euro teams are doing this for publicity now, but if it starts to become common place I don't think they want to become a farm league for the NBA. They ultimately want players who are going to stay with their programs.

What in the hell are you talking about, 2011 not 2010.

Tyler is without much debate the #1 pick in 2011 because he has amazing potential at the C position with legit height & athleticism. The 2010 recruiting class is so weak I'd be shocked if anyone other than Knight went Lottery in 2011 after their Freshman season.

Tyler's game reminds me of Tyson Chandler. He'll earn a great living and become overrated by everyone if he winds up on a team with a PG that can throw a good alley oop.

Wow @ this thread being #2 when you google Pro Sports Daily. :speechless:

kozelkid
11-11-2009, 07:09 PM

builds character though

thrilla11
11-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Hes a project
Everyone has him at number one
but we havent really seen anything from him yet
i do think that the Euro League restricts players though with their style of play