PDA

View Full Version : Whats the more impressive feat for a young phenom?

Chronz
11-09-2009, 02:15 AM
Winning a national championship in college
or
Playing at a near All-Star level in the pros?

Say the player is 20 years old....

Jonathan2323
11-09-2009, 02:20 AM
Playing at a near All-Star level in the pros

_KB24_
11-09-2009, 02:25 AM
Winning is everything. College title IMO.

abe_froman
11-09-2009, 02:27 AM
at 20? think it'd be the ncaa title

ChiSox219
11-09-2009, 02:54 AM
I don't pay as much attention to College as I do the NBA, but it seems every year there are multiple teams that lose to inferior competition in the tournament.

Playing at a near all-star level over 82 games is more impressive in my book because it's much more dependent on the individual as opposed to the team and competition required to win a NCAA title.

Though there's Melo who won the title at 18 and was a playing at a ~near all-star level at 19.

madiaz3
11-09-2009, 02:57 AM
I don't pay as much attention to College as I do the NBA, but it seems every year there are multiple teams that lose to inferior competition in the tournament.

Playing at a near all-star level over 82 games is more impressive in my book because it's much more dependent on the individual as opposed to the team and competition required to win a NCAA title.

Though there's Melo who won the title at 18 and was a playing at a ~near all-star level at 19.

College as long as they truly carried their team to the championship.

Raph12
11-09-2009, 03:01 AM
IMO it depends on whether he is carrying his team to the championship vs his team is stacked so they win because they're just that good.

DerekRE_3
11-09-2009, 03:26 AM
Winning is everything. College title IMO.

Eh I'd take a guy performing at a high level at the highest level in sports.

I mean Sean May played at a high level in college, and won a title...look at him now.

madiaz3
11-09-2009, 03:59 AM

I mean Sean May played at a high level in college, and won a title...look at him now.

His second season had him averaging 12 ppg at 50% at 22mpg. He just fell into some bad circumstances but I wouldn't say it was because he couldn't hack it in the pros.

Becks2307
11-09-2009, 04:39 AM
more impressive feet ?

shaq..those things are huge.

Chronz
11-09-2009, 04:58 AM
Yes forgive the stoner moment

DenButsu
11-09-2009, 05:17 AM
Fixed. :cool:

D-Leethal
11-09-2009, 06:19 AM
I think any NBA player will tell you it is playing at all star level.........if your doing that you have yourself at least a good 50-60 million bucks headin your way sometime soon ........ you can win the NCAA never make it in the pro's and coach high school bball the rest of your life

Raph12
11-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Fixed. :cool:

Well since we're on the topic of correcting the spelling in Chronz's thread title, maybe you could fix the grammar as well... It should say “Which feat is more impressive for a young phenom?” ;)

Chronz
11-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Is this guy serious?

Anyways, I shouldve listed the comparison. Whats more impressive what Melo did at Syracuse, or what Kobe did for the Lakers at age 19-20 off the bench?

Gibby23
11-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Is this guy serious?

Anyways, I shouldve listed the comparison. Whats more impressive what Melo did at Syracuse, or what Kobe did for the Lakers at age 19-20 off the bench?

I have to go with Melo. He won the title and had better numbers than Kobe when he was in his 1st and 2nd year in the NBA.

DLeeicious
11-09-2009, 03:37 PM
A college title is a team title as much as one player may influence it it's not soley his. Playing at an all star level is his doing, so for that reason I say it's more impressive.

Chronz
11-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Just to be clear Im not talking full fledge all-star just a fringe all-star level, think Hedo Turkoglu or something of that nature.

DenButsu
11-09-2009, 08:21 PM

I think that's helpful to give those specific examples. A lot of college championships are won by great team play rather than mostly carried by one individual, so I think putting a good clear example of a player who really carried his team (Melo) to the win clarifies things. I was just about to post that "It depends..."

----------

That said, I'll still say it. It depends.

Big variables on both the college and NBA sides of the equation are teammates. Like I think Lawson's going to end up with great numbers this season. Maybe not huge production, due to limited minutes and a limited role as Billups' backup, but great efficiency. But if he does, there will be a very good argument to be made that the fact that he's playing with Billups, Melo, and J.R. takes a lot of the pressure off of him to be a primary producer. What Jennings is doing right now is pretty damn impressive in that way, jumping straight into a starter's role and seizing it by the horns.

SteveNash
11-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Being an allstar/Kobe over Melo.

I don't get too impressed with players dominating weaker competition.

_KB24_
11-09-2009, 10:39 PM

Read the title bro. "impressive feat for a young phenom". So that would mean a Kobe or a Lebron winning a title in College or near All star ball in the pros. That's where my "Winning is everything" motto comes in.