PDA

View Full Version : NBA ReDraft Playoffs: 1 Dallas Mavericks vs. 5 Phoenix Suns

Catfish1314
11-08-2009, 01:17 AM
Once or a twice year, PSD holds an NBA ReDraft. In this game played by PSD users, all the players in the NBA go into a draft pool. A lottery is held to determine the order and in 12 rounds of drafting and trading the GMs try to create the best team possible.

This second round match-up features the top seeded Dallas Mavericks versus the 5th seeded Phoenix Suns. The Mavericks have homecourt advantage. Their respective rosters are listed below:

Keep in mind these are not the real life teams.

Mavericks:

C: Al Horford - Ryan Hollins
PF: Dirk Nowitzki - Nick Collison - Kris Humphries
SF: Wilson Chandler - Jared Dudley
SG: Joe Johnson - Quinton Ross - Rashad McCants
PG: DJ Augustin - Chris Duhon

Suns:

PG: Mike Bibby/Jamaal Tinsley/Goran Dragic
SG: J.R. Smith/ Daequan Cook
SF: Gerald Wallace/Antonie Wright/Brandan Wright
PF: Charlie Villaneuva/Chris Wilcox
C: Dwight Howard/Mikki Moore

Neither team sent in a write-up.

black1605
11-08-2009, 01:20 AM
tough one, went with the Mavs

theimortalone
11-08-2009, 01:21 AM
Gonna be a tough game for the Suns to win.

BlondeBomber41
11-08-2009, 04:38 AM
I think the Mavs would have a big advantage in this series. The Mavs have a player capable of making things hard on Howard, but the Suns dont have anyone who can even come close to slowing down Dirk Nowitzki. Howard doesnt exactly have the greatest offensive game and he isnt gonna blow up against a great defender like Horford while Dirk would have absolutely no problem with Charlie Villanueva.

Bibby isnt very good anymore, DJ Augustin is outplaying him off the Bobcats bench. Then when you add in the fact that Tinsley, who isnt even in the league is backing up Bibby then PG would be a huge issue for them. We have a starting PG on our bench...

Smith and Chandler is basically a wash, and Joe Johnson has a definite advantage over Gerald Wallace.

I would like to hear the reasoning for anyone voting for the Suns. So far its a Suns fan, a Gerald Wallace homer and a GM who really doesnt wanna see me in the next round so I understand why they voted for PHX.

thephoenixson28
11-08-2009, 09:12 AM
I would say the suns al horford can't guard dwight,villinuava can't guard nowitzki,chandler can't guard wallace,jr smith can't guard joe johnson, augistine can't guard bibby. For the bench its a toss up. But I kind of like the mavs bench but phoenix wins in 7

blujaysrock
11-08-2009, 11:42 AM
This would be a good matchup and like the guy above me said,

Howard>Horford
Villanueva<Nowitzky
Wallace>Chandler
Smith<Johnson
Bibby=Augustin
Suns Bench>Mavs Bench not by much though

Kakaroach
11-08-2009, 11:51 AM
This is a really tough match-up, it could easily go 6 or 7 games. Howard can guard Dirk, but Horford can guard Howard, so it really depends on how much Horford and Charlie Vill score, so I'll take the Suns in the front-court. Wallace will take care of Chandler easily on both ends and Joe Johnson would do the same against Smith. I would think Duhon starting would look better for this Mavs team, but I like Bibby more than both anyway.

Suns bench is better outside of Tinsley and Moore, so I think in very close series that comes down to the interior defense and offense the Suns take it.

Ollie Tabooger
11-08-2009, 11:53 AM
dwight howard + gerald wallace = great rebounding team. i still would take the mavs with the more experienced point guard play and the suns simply wouldnt have a go-to guy in the end of the game like the mavs would like dirk.

KnicksorBust
11-08-2009, 01:37 PM
This is a really tough match-up, it could easily go 6 or 7 games. Howard can guard Dirk, but Horford can guard Howard, so it really depends on how much Horford and Charlie Vill score, so I'll take the Suns in the front-court. Wallace will take care of Chandler easily on both ends and Joe Johnson would do the same against Smith. I would think Duhon starting would look better for this Mavs team, but I like Bibby more than both anyway.

Suns bench is better outside of Tinsley and Moore, so I think in very close series that comes down to the interior defense and offense the Suns take it.

I know DJ hasn't been playing well but Duhon is the worst starting PG in the NBA. He plays 36+ mpg and is averaging 7.4ppg on 25% shooting with horrible defense. You have no idea how brutal he is to watch on a daily basis. This is an interesting matchup. Mavs PG situation is pitiful but Bibby isn't exactly the type of guy who is going to take advantage. Looks like he's losing minutes in Atlanta. Wilson Chandler has been horrible too. My initial reaction is Mavs but they have two weak positions right now and obviously they lose Center to Dwight. I'm gonna have to think about this one.

BlondeBomber41
11-08-2009, 03:03 PM
I would say the suns al horford can't guard dwight,villinuava can't guard nowitzki,chandler can't guard wallace,jr smith can't guard joe johnson, augistine can't guard bibby. For the bench its a toss up. But I kind of like the mavs bench but phoenix wins in 7

Al Horford can certainly guard Dwight Howard. Lets not act like Howard has an amazing offensive game, teams that have big strong centers who can body up on Howard have had success guarding him. Horford can certainly do that.

Hoford can slow down Dwight Howard, no way Charlie Villanueva or Dwight Howard can slow down Dirk. Dirk would just tear CV up, and Howard is a great post defender but he cant handle Dirk when he goes to his perimeter game.

Augustin CAN most certainly guard Bibby, are you serious? Bibby is no more than a glorified Daniel Gibson at this point in his career, just a spot up shooter. Bibby would have alot more of a problem guarding Augustin, who is very fast.

As far as the swingmen, Chandler is a solid defender and he has much much more of a chance of slowing down Gerald Wallace then JR Smith would have slowing down Joe Johnson... so overall I dont see how you can possibly say they have a better chance of guarding us.

Gambeezy
11-08-2009, 06:10 PM
This one is extremely tough to call. I had to think about it for a while and I wish both teams would have sent in write-ups. I would have liked to see what both GM's had to say. I gave the edge to the Mavs. Both teams have plenty of firepower and the benches are relatively even. I don't think Dwight would man-handle Horford like some are saying. Bibby can explode on some nights but hasn't in a while so I have to give this to the Mavs when taking the Home-court advantage into consideration. Great job by both GM's though and Good luck to both teams.

st3voness
11-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Edge to the Mavs.

KnicksorBust
11-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Interesting note: Dwight Howard has crushed Horford head to head in all 8 of their career matchups but shockingly Dirk only outplayed CV his first three seasons. In fact, Villanueva outscored Dirk in both head to head matchups last season by a total of 57 to 44 in two games.

Mavrix
11-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Mavs in 6

VCaintdead17
11-08-2009, 07:41 PM
That mavs line up is intense

thephoenixson28
11-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Al Horford can certainly guard Dwight Howard. Lets not act like Howard has an amazing offensive game, teams that have big strong centers who can body up on Howard have had success guarding him. Horford can certainly do that.

Hoford can slow down Dwight Howard, no way Charlie Villanueva or Dwight Howard can slow down Dirk. Dirk would just tear CV up, and Howard is a great post defender but he cant handle Dirk when he goes to his perimeter game.

Augustin CAN most certainly guard Bibby, are you serious? Bibby is no more than a glorified Daniel Gibson at this point in his career, just a spot up shooter. Bibby would have alot more of a problem guarding Augustin, who is very fast.

As far as the swingmen, Chandler is a solid defender and he has much much more of a chance of slowing down Gerald Wallace then JR Smith would have slowing down Joe Johnson... so overall I dont see how you can possibly say they have a better chance of guarding us. Horford can not guard and I repeat can not guard dwight. I don't care if he is not offensivley gifted if he is 2 feet away from the basket he is dunking it. Just throw the ball up he will dunk it. Your right dirk will own both charlie v. and dwight on the offensive end. I think the suns have to much defense for the mavs to win.

BlondeBomber41
11-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Interesting note: Dwight Howard has crushed Horford head to head in all 8 of their career matchups but shockingly Dirk only outplayed CV his first three seasons. In fact, Villanueva outscored Dirk in both head to head matchups last season by a total of 57 to 44 in two games.

:pity:

22, 23, 16, 21 last year.

15, 11, 26, 14 two years ago.

Equals 18.5 PPG.

Highest point total was 26, and had several low teen games.

Your definition of crushed is apparently pretty bad.

Gambeezy
11-08-2009, 11:57 PM
^ Yea I was going to say compared to Dwight those numbers may pale in comparison, but it's not like Horford doesn't exist when they play. Guys who can't move, like Brad Miller, get eatin up. Horford doesn't just role over and die. He's a tough kid. Dwight will certainly win the match-up, but think of how many starting Centers in the league simply can't hold a candle to Dwight.

ManRam
11-09-2009, 12:06 AM
I think it's the Mavs...and I am actually surprised the voting is this close.

theimortalone
11-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Suns are only down by 3?!?! :speechless:

Edit: Damn, we are gonna lose by that much. :sigh:

Well what a hell of a run by me and blujaysrock.

I tip my hat to BB, you got one hell of a team man! Congrats!

BlondeBomber41
11-09-2009, 02:49 AM

That was a close one, congrats to you as well for putting together a very good team. :)

KnicksorBust
11-09-2009, 07:39 AM
:pity:

22, 23, 16, 21 last year.

15, 11, 26, 14 two years ago.

Equals 18.5 PPG.

Highest point total was 26, and had several low teen games.

Your definition of crushed is apparently pretty bad.

Why don't you put the fact that his fg% was never under 50% for any of those games? Or that Horford never scored more than 13 against him? THIRTEEN? That's the BEST GAME Horford has managed to put on Howard in 8 games. Just looking at scoring:
Game 1: 14 - 7 Dwight
Game 2: 26 - 9 Dwight
Game 3: 11 - 11 Even
Game 4: 15 - 8 Dwight
Game 5: 22 - 10 Dwight
Game 6: 23 - 9 Dwight
Game 7: 16 - 7 Dwight
Game 8: 21 - 13 Dwight

More rebounds - 130 to 66 (each game - 8 wins to 0 losses)
More steals - 18 to 6 (each game - 6 wins, 0 losses, 2 ties)
More blocks - 19 to 7 (each game - 7 wins, 1 loss)

Recap: Horford has never outscored him in any game, never outrebounded him, never gotten more steals, and has only blocked more shots in one game of 8 career head to head matchups.

That's crushed.

Becks2307
11-09-2009, 07:43 AM
any team with chris duhon will not win a 7 game series...even winning an NBA is tough with Doo doo on your team (or within a 30 mile radius)

jimbobjarree
11-09-2009, 12:55 PM
boooooo we wanted suns

BlondeBomber41
11-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Why don't you put the fact that his fg% was never under 50% for any of those games? Or that Horford never scored more than 13 against him? THIRTEEN? That's the BEST GAME Horford has managed to put on Howard in 8 games. Just looking at scoring:
Game 1: 14 - 7 Dwight
Game 2: 26 - 9 Dwight
Game 3: 11 - 11 Even
Game 4: 15 - 8 Dwight
Game 5: 22 - 10 Dwight
Game 6: 23 - 9 Dwight
Game 7: 16 - 7 Dwight
Game 8: 21 - 13 Dwight

More rebounds - 130 to 66 (each game - 8 wins to 0 losses)
More steals - 18 to 6 (each game - 6 wins, 0 losses, 2 ties)
More blocks - 19 to 7 (each game - 7 wins, 1 loss)

Recap: Horford has never outscored him in any game, never outrebounded him, never gotten more steals, and has only blocked more shots in one game of 8 career head to head matchups.

That's crushed.

Well if thats what you meant than any ****** could of figured that out. Of course Dwight is always gonna have the better stats. Horford is no Howard, but he has done a great job limiting him on the offensive end. When you say he crushed Horford you imply that he torched him and its simply not true... yet thats what anyone who read your comment would come out of it thinking.

blujaysrock
11-09-2009, 04:53 PM

Only lost by a few man, it was a great run and congrats to BB, we need to team up for the next NBA RD now that we both know what to expect.

asmarks18
11-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Mavs

theimortalone
11-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Only lost by a few man, it was a great run and congrats to BB, we need to team up for the next NBA RD now that we both know what to expect.

I agree man! We should team up in the NBA RD again!

thephoenixson28
11-11-2009, 11:50 AM
I agree man! We should team up in the NBA RD again! I want to be in a RD or at least help

king4day
11-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Not because I'm a Suns fan, but if I saw this thread, I woulda picked Phoenix.
Not sure how I missed this one though.