PDA

View Full Version : Can we salvage our hopes for the season after 1-5 start?

mzgrizz
11-08-2009, 01:14 AM
Until tonight, I thought changing the lineup to AI starting at PG might be the catalyst to getting some wins going. I never thought he was the whole answer, but it seemed like the way Hollins had lined it up was a dismal failure, and a shakeup would help.
Now I have NO idea what Hollins can do to get the team winning...other than trading for a player who can play defense!!!!!!!:mad: That and Portland coming in here on Tuesday is giving me a pounding headache.

I Am Awesome-O
11-08-2009, 01:55 AM
I say we just sit back, relax, let the season play itself out, and get ready to pray for John Wall on lottery night.

Deezy Dee 24.
11-08-2009, 11:47 AM
awesome this time i dont agree.
im tired of accepting losing seasons
and hoping for another lebron or kobe in the draft.
this year we drafted thabeet over way better players.
thabeet isnt worth the #2 pick.
we should be 4-3 right now
we lost to sacremento, golden state, and the clippers.
im pissed and i dont understand why we cant play defense and take care of the ball.

why cant we win like we did 03-04 04-05 and 05-06
maybe its the Curse Of Rudy Gay.
we traded Battier for him in the 06 draft
and ever since we have been a losing team.

bein a grizzlies fan isnt easy but ill always be a die hard fan.
i just hope we dont move cities cause we cant sell seats anymore.

I Am Awesome-O
11-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Don't get me wrong, I am so freaking sick of looking forward to the lottery in November every year, really I am. But the way I see it, this team is never going to be relevant until it lands the next LeBron in the lottery or Heisley sells the team. Otherwise, we are always going to be horrible or at the very most mediocre.

I yearn for the day that I read a report that states that Fred Smith has bought majority ownership of the Grizzlies. I guarantee you he wouldn't make these asinine moves that freaking Heisley has constantly made and he will actually be willing to open up his wallet to improve this roster.. Sadly, Smith is not a basketball fan, but I'll keep my hopes up.

mzgrizz
11-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Waiting on another lottery pick would be like you guys kissing your sisters. I HAVE to think that we can get something out of this season......I'm way more positive than I was late last night. The AI thing blew my mind. But all is not lost. We haven't even played our 3rd home game yet and miracles do happen. Were you guys on board during the 2003 season when we came out of nowhere and made the playoffs?
Oh crap, Awesome! You're sig is eerily predictive !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deezy Dee 24.
11-08-2009, 10:30 PM
yes i was. man what a season. my favorite was 03 04
everybody was holding up pictures and signs with the #50
on it for 50 wins and we won to go 50-32. i was young but still remember every second of that season

mzgrizz
11-08-2009, 11:06 PM
My favorite memory was hearing Don Poier shout "The Grizzlies are 500" on the radio broadcast.

NBA-GMaster
11-11-2009, 01:22 AM
Let Allen plays Starting Point Guard position over Mike!!
And also let Hasheem(the 2nd overall draft pick) have more reliable minutes!!
We need to play DEFENSE!!

If Lionel doesn't change his way of coaching, He's got to GO!!

NBA-GMaster
11-11-2009, 01:23 AM
period.......................

mzgrizz
11-11-2009, 01:31 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^ Agree with both of your posts GMAster''''''''except for Thabeet who will be out indefinitely with a fractured jaw.......might be 6 weeks, but I think it'll be more like 2-3 months.
BTW my inside sources say AI REALLY has a personal situation he's trying to handle. Just looked bad on the timing.

I Am Awesome-O
11-11-2009, 02:29 AM
The early word was a fractured jaw, but upon further review the injury doesn't appear to be too bad. Thabeet has a "ridgeline fracture of the mandible" and did not make the trip to Houston for tomorrow night's game, but as of tonight his absence is expected to be counted in days, not weeks.
http://www.memphisflyer.com/BeyondtheArc/archives/2009/11/10/trailblazers-93-grizzlies-79-post-game-three-pointer#more

mzgrizz
11-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Good. Hairline fracture is a WHOLE lot different than a fracture. WIsh him well.

NBA-GMaster
11-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Hasheem Thabeet the next Greg Oden...

Hellcrooner
11-11-2009, 04:58 PM
1 give the reings of the team to oj mayo

2 give the second in charge role and touches to marc gasol

3 keep conley.

4 tell zach to limit his shots

5 out with ai

6 out with gayhog, if he wants to showcase and shoot birkcs all nite long to inflate his stats let him do it somwerese else that would ring a DEFENSIVE minded sf back.

mzgrizz
11-12-2009, 12:25 AM
Respectfully disagree with you, HC
1-8 start is WITH Conley running the show
?? What would it have been if Hollins had started AI at Golden State; Conley off the bench??
Keep AI and use Conley off the bench; Marcus Williams as a spare
Marc should be second option but he was kicking it back out too much without taking his shots last night;;;;needs to be greedier!
Out with Rudy........BUT not at a loss to us . I'd keep him before I'd trade him for peanuts.
Make it OJ Mayo's team and build around him

and last, but not least

FIRE HOLLINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Hellcrooner
11-12-2009, 01:40 PM
starting conley is a need because he is more a distributr wich si nedd when you have several starters that like taking shots.

I dont have any problem with Iverson as a player my concers are his personality and the bad example he can give with his behaviour to grizz young players.

As for gay, well he didnt resign so teams will lowbal grizz id be more than happy to get Battier back alongside a future 1st

NBA-GMaster
11-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Hire Byron Scott as our new head coach!!

3RDASYSTEM
11-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Damn MZGRIZZ gave yall the biz, i agree...they should have given AI keys just like SUNS did with NASH ...how can you not give a 10 allstar/former league MVP with game left keys to the BENZ after you basically sold your whole season on acquiring him along with ZACH...They can get back in it if a move is made on HOLLINS, and it might just happen cuz of the SCOTT firing..the domino effect is about to begin,in the end no matter how much NBA/media/whoever dont like AI, he means and has done far more for it than HOLLINS and i dont care that he won a CHIP with that PORTLAND team back in the day....

mzgrizz
11-17-2009, 01:32 AM
Now that all this **** has happened, I can see that we went into the 5 game road trip with a 1-1 record; the AI drama train took off with his complaining about his minutes; we tanked badly for the 5 away games; came back and got punked by Portland ; lost to Houston then beat Minnesota. He left town and the team(no "I" in team for sure) and now Memphis for good.
I don't know how this will play out for AI. but IMO Memphis will re-start their season and it was all just a bad, bad dream.

mzgrizz
11-21-2009, 01:33 AM
And how they have re-started their season! 4 and 8 now since AI was cut. Milwaukee here tomorrow night and it looks winnable from the outset.......pretty sweet right now:)

mzgrizz
11-23-2009, 12:21 AM
Bump.......Milwaukee COULD have been a win; instead they resorted to streetballin'
Waiting on OJ and Rudy to throw up shots; Marc and ZBo barely got touches in the 2nd half and Hollins looked like he was in a trance ..........AGAIN!
Half the guys need to take the me out of MEmphis!!!!!!!!!!

Deezy Dee 24.
11-26-2009, 12:55 AM
Blown out in Phoenix.
I was hopin for a little more of a game but we blew our lead at the end of the first and at halftime down by 11. Went on to lose badly.

It was ugly

JasonJohnHorn
11-27-2009, 12:46 PM
I think Memphis fans actually have a lot to be excited about. They have several very talented young players in; Mayo, Conely, Gay and Marc Gasol, some great potential in Thabeet (even though he hasn't played very well so far), a proven veteran in Zach Randolph, who though not a great playmaker/passer for his position, is a very talented scorer in the post who gets his share of rebounds, and some depth at the gaurd spots with Jaric and Tinsley. On paper this line up is great, the only problem is the fact that the West is so tough and deep, but if Memphis can hang onto this core I think when these players mature they will have one of the elite teams in the league. Maybe Mayo and Gay are up to where LBJ and Kobe are (obviously), but they are solid players and with the young front court and another high draft pick headed to Memphis next year, this team will have a lot of what it needs to really contend. The only problem with a young roster is inconsistency and a great coach can help improve that situation. I'm not familiar with Hollins and his ability, so I can't offer much in that respect, but if a truly great coach like Larry Brown, or Riley, or Jackson or Lenny Wilkens had this roster I'm sure Memphis would have a few more wins by seasons end.

But even though this squad has gotten off to a slow start, expect them to finish strong. They may miss the playoffs in a deep wester conference (look at the records of some perenially solid teams like The Spurs and Jazz right now), but the future is bright for the talented young roster the Grizzlies have right now.

Deezy Dee 24.
11-27-2009, 01:37 PM
I think Memphis fans actually have a lot to be excited about. They have several very talented young players in; Mayo, Conely, Gay and Marc Gasol, some great potential in Thabeet (even though he hasn't played very well so far), a proven veteran in Zach Randolph, who though not a great playmaker/passer for his position, is a very talented scorer in the post who gets his share of rebounds, and some depth at the gaurd spots with Jaric and Tinsley. On paper this line up is great, the only problem is the fact that the West is so tough and deep, but if Memphis can hang onto this core I think when these players mature they will have one of the elite teams in the league. Maybe Mayo and Gay are up to where LBJ and Kobe are (obviously), but they are solid players and with the young front court and another high draft pick headed to Memphis next year, this team will have a lot of what it needs to really contend. The only problem with a young roster is inconsistency and a great coach can help improve that situation. I'm not familiar with Hollins and his ability, so I can't offer much in that respect, but if a truly great coach like Larry Brown, or Riley, or Jackson or Lenny Wilkens had this roster I'm sure Memphis would have a few more wins by seasons end.

But even though this squad has gotten off to a slow start, expect them to finish strong. They may miss the playoffs in a deep wester conference (look at the records of some perenially solid teams like The Spurs and Jazz right now), but the future is bright for the talented young roster the Grizzlies have right now.

I agree with most of it.
While we do have a good young talented roster, we're tired of waiting for them to start winning. So much about how we have a bright future, i think i can speak for us Grizz fans in saying we really thought that bright future would be around this time, not another full losing season, but we can still turn it around.

mzgrizz
11-28-2009, 01:38 AM
Oh yeah!!! They ARE salvaging our hopes!! Beat Portland in Portland and the final margin didn't even come close to the blowout that hit 'em for most of the game.
WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW

Deezy Dee 24.
11-28-2009, 04:21 PM
6-10 and if we beat the Clips then 7-10.
Not bad at all since the A.I. cut but i still want A.I. to go play for Philly.

EdGein812
11-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Good to see guys. It'll be tough out West, but playing much better ball of late. :)

mzgrizz
11-28-2009, 11:28 PM
^^^^^^^^^ Thanks Ed. Hopefully they can take the Clips tomorrow. Sunday day games always seem to be hard on the HOME teams....we'll see.