PDA

View Full Version : Iverson leaves Grizzlies for personal reasons

Game_Over
11-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Allen Iverson has left the Grizzlies to attend to a personal matter and it is unknown when he will rejoin the team.
While it's possible Iverson has a true personal emergency to deal with, he met with owner Michael Eisley on Friday night and Saturday morning before leaving the team. He's already caused problems by complaining about his role and playing time, and hasn't even had a face-to-face conversation with his new coach. There's no telling how this will end, but if you dropped Mike Conley, it would probably be wise to go back and get him. Nov. 7 - 6:02 pm et
Source: Memphis Commercial Appeal
Rotoworld:facepalm:

ProdigyI
11-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Iverson to the Bulls

DamnGoat
11-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Iverson to the Bulls
:puke:

AI should just go ahead and retire.

Hustla23
11-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Iverson to the Grizz was a fail move from the beginning

gocubs2118
11-07-2009, 09:07 PM
More like for ego problems.

nyanks79
11-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Iverson for Jared Jeffereis.

king4day
11-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Iverson to the Bobcats :).
Get a deal done. He can certainly start there and I'm sure Brown would tell him right from the start what his role would be anyway.

KBfrom8to24
11-07-2009, 09:30 PM
He should retire, he's a cancer to any team.

bagwell368
11-07-2009, 09:34 PM
He went home to ask his mirror "Mirrror, who is the greatest player of all?" Sadly for him, he's down in about 381st place on the current list at the moment and dropping fast.

Poor mirror, AI is going to harangue it to death...

ko8e24
11-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Iverson to Pluto

KH12
11-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Why would any team want this guy? What a joke.

ko8e24
11-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Updated Injury Report: Iverson out for rest of career with bruised ego.

DerekRE_3
11-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Iverson to the Bobcats :).
Get a deal done. He can certainly start there and I'm sure Brown would tell him right from the start what his role would be anyway.

We don't want that guy on our team.

1-800-STFU
11-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Awwww poor Iverson. What a champ.

Toenail Clipper
11-07-2009, 10:07 PM
send him to the lakers and let him play as a starting point guard.

Hellcrooner
11-07-2009, 10:23 PM
iverson to cleveland

Hellcrooner
or miami

ink
AI should just go ahead and retire.

I agree. It's about the only ending I can see coming out of this.

ink
11-07-2009, 10:24 PM
iverson to cleveland

or miami

Nobody needs a headache like this. Too much of a distraction.

Hellcrooner
11-07-2009, 10:30 PM
well clevelandis not doing as good as they thought they woudl be so they coudl be stupid enough to add tha tproblem in the end they already added the big ProbleCTUS.

GodsSon
11-07-2009, 10:32 PM
and so it begins...lol

ink
11-07-2009, 10:35 PM
well clevelandis not doing as good as they thought they woudl be so they coudl be stupid enough to add tha tproblem in the end they already added the big ProbleCTUS.

They should have known that Shaq was not going to be the answer. **** these big ego players are a pain in the butt.

Litchris12
11-07-2009, 10:42 PM
he's a cancer

Raph12
11-07-2009, 10:46 PM
AI on the Bobcats would be awesome, they are a team in desperate need of a scorer and they have good defenders to hide AI's flaws on that end.

Bruno
11-07-2009, 11:03 PM
If you don't act like a leader, then you don't deserve to take the starting job of two young up and comers.

AI, yea, weve all checked your resume, it tells us you're 34, you've lost a step and you're still as immature as people ten years your junior. get real brother.

The Cavs should make a move for him.

Gators123
11-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Send AI to D-league! :laugh:

Lost Art
11-07-2009, 11:12 PM
Wow, this guy's career is over. Just retire already.

Kyben36
11-07-2009, 11:28 PM
Personal reasons, he didnt want to sit his *** on the bench.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-07-2009, 11:35 PM
Iverson to Cavs.

C-Shaq, Ilgauskas
PF-Varajao, Hickson, Powe
SF-Lebron, Moon
SG-Iverson, Parker
PG-Williams, West

daleja424
11-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Chad Ford reporting that is seems like Iverson will hang it up

Wonder if they're the same "personal reasons" he left Detroit last season. Lots of folks in the league think he won't be back.

Continuing to hear "this is it" from league sources on AI. However, NO word from the only sources that matter: Grizzlies, AI or his agent.
http://twitter.com/chadfordinsider

Zefflin
11-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Why would any team want this guy? What a joke.

^^^

mzgrizz
11-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Well, I'll be ! I think the new movie about Sean Tuohy's family and Michaeal Oher sums it up
The Blind Side !!!!!!!!!!!!

Gators123
11-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Chad Ford reporting that is seems like Iverson will hang it up

http://twitter.com/chadfordinsider

If Iverson is done, Its kind of sad. I wish he could of ended his career on a good note. He is/was a great player but he only cared about himself.

marlinsfan24
11-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Why can't anyone believe that Iverson actually left for personal reasons?

Jaji
11-07-2009, 11:54 PM
You guys are crazy. A 27 ppg career scorer who carried an entire franchise on his back for over a decade doesn't belong in the league? He's no longer a player to build a team around but he should certainly be a starter in this league.

blastmasta26
11-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Let's see, he was just complaining about his role on the team....

marlinsfan24
11-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Let's see, he was just complaining about his role on the team....

So he has no other life at all? He can't have personal reasons?

championships
11-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Send his cancer *** to the Celtics. So I can watch them slowly be torn apart

nipo10847
11-07-2009, 11:59 PM
AI was one of my favorite players in his philly days. It hurts me when I see his present situation that he is making himself a bum and he definately is destroying his leagacy and a HOF career.

Hellcrooner
11-07-2009, 11:59 PM
im glad after all this year the truth has been exposed.

he was NEVER good

only a dude that hyped himself by shotting shot after shot after shot untill he scored 50 points withouth even have a good percentage.

Kakaroach
11-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Sad, but ya never know maybe he does personal reasons. I sure hope its that...

JordansBulls
11-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Iverson to the Bulls

To play SG?

daleja424
11-08-2009, 12:05 AM
You guys are crazy. A 27 ppg career scorer who carried an entire franchise on his back for over a decade doesn't belong in the league? He's no longer a player to build a team around but he should certainly be a starter in this league.

the fact that only memphis offered him a deal (and off the bench at that) seems to contradict that... just a little :rolleyes:

daleja424
11-08-2009, 12:05 AM
To play SG?

no... to ruin ur franchise...

mzgrizz
11-08-2009, 12:09 AM

OMG I hope you are right..........I think. Right now I don't know what to hope for re: AI.

LAKERMANIA
11-08-2009, 12:10 AM
I can see Iverson going to the Cavs, but other than that he should retire. Im glad I called from the 2001 finals that Iverson wont win a ring..

69centers
11-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Iverson should retire and go make really awkward videos with Marbury, where they can make fun of their former teams, and talk about a comeback in 2010-11.

CowboysKB24
11-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Iverson to the Bulls

And why would you want this guy on your team?

CowboysKB24
11-08-2009, 12:34 AM
I don't think Iverson is going anywhere. He could have went anywhere this off-season and no one wanted him. Memphis signed him so he would get more people to buy tickets, not because they thought he would be a good piece to the team.

CowboysKB24
11-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Iverson should retire and go make really awkward videos with Marbury, where they can make fun of their former teams, and talk about a comeback in 2010-11.

I agree.

mzgrizz
11-08-2009, 12:39 AM
Well, we definitely wanted tickets sold, but with that came some love for the guy, and maybe now, he will never feel what the fans felt for him.
I am so confused................:(

ink
11-08-2009, 12:39 AM
I can see Iverson going to the Cavs, but other than that he should retire. Im glad I called from the 2001 finals that Iverson wont win a ring..

The league has just changed so much since 2001 too. Players are waaay more team-oriented. What AI was like then was expected. Now it's bizarre.

Look at a player like Chris Paul. IMO he's a lot better than AI ever was, and at the same time he's a great team player. The systems have changed radically and the game isn't all ISOs called for the "superstar" anymore.

jimbobjarree
11-08-2009, 12:40 AM
he can come play for my local team, since he doesnt pass we wouldnt have to work as hard . All we have to do is tell him we are championship contenders and we're a shoe in.

daleja424
11-08-2009, 12:44 AM
his personal reasons are that he, personally, refuses to take a bench role...

ink
11-08-2009, 12:44 AM
he can come play for my local team, since he doesnt pass we wouldnt have to work as hard . All we have to do is tell him we are championship contenders and we're a shoe in.

:laugh2:

Well played.

mzgrizz
11-08-2009, 12:51 AM
:laugh2:

Well played.

Let's be fair, guys........NO ONE here told him we were championship contenders. We are not drinking the koolaid.......if he thought that, well................it wasn't a rational thought for 2009.

ink
11-08-2009, 12:54 AM
Let's be fair, guys........NO ONE here told him we were championship contenders. We are not drinking the koolaid.......if he thought that, well................it wasn't a rational thought for 2009.

I don't think he was making fun of the Grizz at all or their fans. Sorry if it came off that way.

It was just a funny comment about AI. I really think the issue is that the league has changed and left AI's type of player behind. The Grizz gambled by signing him this year and already he's acting out. I'm sure that's why no one wanted to touch him this year.

mzgrizz
11-08-2009, 01:01 AM
^^^^^^^^^ My feelings are pretty raw right now. I was stunned when I turned on the Clips /Griz game tonight and heard it from the commentators. I feel a bit betrayed when I came to his defense over Conley who is a great guy as well as an improving player. My mind is just toast.

EdGein812
11-08-2009, 01:20 AM
Iverson is becoming a joke. He's delusional and stubborn. He's not good enough to even start for the Grizzlies. He want's to blame everyone rather than admit it might have something to do with his game. This is becoming sad. Put a fork in him. I honestly didn't understand the move in the first place other than the obvious ticket boost.

EdGein812
11-08-2009, 01:21 AM
I'd be much happier with Conley and Mayo.

ink
11-08-2009, 01:22 AM
^^^^^^^^^ My feelings are pretty raw right now. I was stunned when I turned on the Clips /Griz game tonight and heard it from the commentators. I feel a bit betrayed when I came to his defense over Conley who is a great guy as well as an improving player. My mind is just toast.

I'm sorry to hear that. I think the Grizz still have a ton of talent and should bounce back from this. Just believe in the talent you already have.

mzgrizz
11-08-2009, 01:29 AM
^^^^^^^^^I do and I will but I feel like SCREAMING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My husband already thinks I'm too much of a basketball nut, so I have to pull it up and quit agitating over this one.

JasonJohnHorn
11-08-2009, 01:29 AM
The best option for the Grizzlie is to just buyout Iverson or see if he is down for simply being released from his contract. Iverson is simply not as good as he was three or four seasons ago, and even when he was playing his best he was a liability on defense (not because he didn't work hard or play with passion, but just because he often played shooting guard and always gave up a few inches). Now that his game doesn't bring as many benefits, having him on the court for 36 minutes a game is going to hurt more than it hurts. Playing for teams that have slighyly taller point guards (like the Pistons -Stucket-, Denver -Billups and perhaps Miami -if they played Wade at point), can work because Iverson can pick up the point guard on the other team while the taller point guard defends the shooting guard. But regardless, Iverson seems to be short on team spirit. He wants to be the man, he wants to start, he wants the ball in his hand, and A.I. 2010 is not the same as A.I. 2001, and he just can't seem to realize it. Some of the greatest players took smaller roles as they got older, Bird, for example, realized he had back problems, and that the Celtics had young talent (Reggie Lewis) and helped to groom them by taking a back seat. Magic likewise, even while he was still at an all-star level, shared the ball with Worthy, and later Vlade Divac, while helping young players like A.C. Green and Byron Scott. Duncan shares the ball with Ginobili and Parker, and encourages them to share with new teammates. Iverson just seems incapable of doing this. He's got a huge heart, and passion and talent and work ethic, but he lacks humility and until he gets some of that, he's not going to be getting any rings. Grizzlies need to cut their losses and save theior team chemistry. They got some great young talents and the need to look to their future. They aren't going to win it this year, but they'll make progress, and keeping Iverson around will only hurt their progress.

mzgrizz
11-08-2009, 01:35 AM
I didn't know he had been released. All I heard was he was out indefinitely for personal reasons and he went back home to Atlanta.

I Am Awesome-O
11-08-2009, 01:53 AM
All I heard was he was out indefinitely for personal reasons and he went back home to Atlanta.

That's all that has been reported so far.

allvalleychamp
11-08-2009, 01:55 AM
Iverson for Stephen Jackson!

Team*Chicago
11-08-2009, 02:28 AM
Man, these Allen Iverson bull-hits will never come to an end and I already hate this guy. First nobody told him about rebuilding and now a personal situation problem, what's next? he didn't come to practice! I know that the Nuggets and Pistons fans are glad he's gone off their teams and now it looks really bad for the Grizzlies and their fans.

Iverson to the Bulls

:crazy:Are you a Bulls fan or a Bulls hater?

Send his cancer *** to the Celtics. So I can watch them slowly be torn apart

-amn, why do you want to see Allen Iverson destroy the Celtics, you want to see the Celtics collapse just like the Pistons.

Raph12
11-08-2009, 02:36 AM
Iverson should just retire, too many critics to try and silence them all. Just let it go and move on with your life.

Maybe try Minor League Baseball (MJ) or the NFL (Glen Davis) lol.

Toenail Clipper
11-08-2009, 02:38 AM
Irrelevant to the thread, but why do people consider Iverson as a shooting guard and Arenas as a point guard?

Shady66
11-08-2009, 02:45 AM
^^
I have actually wondered that too
Imo their both SGs

Raph12
11-08-2009, 02:46 AM
Irrelevant to the thread, but why do people consider Iverson as a shooting guard and Arenas as a point guard?

Because AI usually isn't the primary ballhandler on his team.

swagga81
11-08-2009, 03:10 AM
Iverson to the Bulls:facepalm: no hes going to retire!

La11
11-08-2009, 03:29 AM
This is iverson news conference to memphis Grizz

The bench...your talking about the bench, the bench, not only in practice but in the real game I have to come off the bench. Really not the game but the bench..Check my resume and i've never come off the bench. I've never won a title, win gold medal or made my teammates better and you want me to come off the bench? I won scoring titles, MVP, Allstar Mvp and all the other ME ME ME awards and you want me to come off the bench. There is no I in team but there is I in Iverson and you want me to come off the bench? You got to be kidding me I dont belong clued to the bench...Im outta here..give me my permission to leave the team. F the bench

La11
11-08-2009, 03:34 AM
best case scenerio for the Grizz. Lose and get the first overall pick next summer pick john wall. A team of john wall,Oj mayo,rudy gay, zach, marc gasol, thabeet, and mike conley would be dirty.

CPtrailblazer
11-08-2009, 06:02 AM
hope he does go to bulls

JayW_1023
11-08-2009, 06:05 AM
Iverson should call it a career. Before he causes further embarassment to himself.

NZ_Lakers!
11-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Surely no one will want him now...

Strumpy
11-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Iverson for a McChicken and a small coke.

JWO35
11-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Allen Iverson to the Retirement Home...

floyd!!
11-08-2009, 04:16 PM
**** that i'll take his *** on the knicks. in fact while we're at it, call up dennis rodman, j.r. rider and former net jayson williams....maybe we could even get the ghost of wilt chamberlain.....he's gotta be even tougher than jared jeffries' soft ***.

shep33
11-08-2009, 04:38 PM
The guy can still play, in all honesty i don't know why the Grizz even signed him in the first place... what a strange organization. The trade Gasol, to get rid of cap space and get some young talent... but then they eliminate their cap space by trading for Randolph. The Iverson thing was just to sell tickets, but if he's not playing he's not gonna sell tickets... I know everyone is knocking AI, but there should be more heat on the Grizzlies for making such decisions. That being said, AI has to realize that he's not gonna start for many teams, if any. Honestly, he could be a difference maker for a championship team... if the guy went to the Lakers, he could play a ton of minutes, and get his shots in their weak 2nd unit. Don't see him fitting in Cleveland with West and Moe already there.. even Gibson. Maybe New Orleans would fit since they need some scoring punch.. even Boston, comming off the bench. If he doesn't want to do that... then he should go to Europe.

bigvdebo86
11-08-2009, 05:48 PM
He has 1 bad year and he is washed up wow you guys are real funny

TheWatcher34
11-08-2009, 06:12 PM
The guy can still play, in all honesty i don't know why the Grizz even signed him in the first place... what a strange organization. The trade Gasol, to get rid of cap space and get some young talent... but then they eliminate their cap space by trading for Randolph. The Iverson thing was just to sell tickets, but if he's not playing he's not gonna sell tickets... I know everyone is knocking AI, but there should be more heat on the Grizzlies for making such decisions. That being said, AI has to realize that he's not gonna start for many teams, if any. Honestly, he could be a difference maker for a championship team... if the guy went to the Lakers, he could play a ton of minutes, and get his shots in their weak 2nd unit. Don't see him fitting in Cleveland with West and Moe already there.. even Gibson. Maybe New Orleans would fit since they need some scoring punch.. even Boston, comming off the bench. If he doesn't want to do that... then he should go to Europe.

good points..but europe? iverson? i can't imagine him wanting to play for any other league other than the BEST league in the world!

shep33
11-08-2009, 06:45 PM
good points..but europe? iverson? i can't imagine him wanting to play for any other league other than the BEST league in the world!

Honestly, the only reason I would think that he might play in Europe, is that he can maybe pull a Dominque Wilkins. He'll get paid a lot, while being able to play a ton of minutes for good teams in Greece, Spain, or Italy. Hah, can you imagine a back court of Rubio and Iverson, that'd be kinda sweet. In a way he can promote himself and the NBA if he goes to Europe, really everyone wins if he feels like he wants to play there. I mean, the guy can help a team win a championship (good team), if he decided to come off the bench.. if he feels he can't do that, and doesn't want to retire, why not go to Europe, make money and spread your image, while also playing high quality ball where he can play a lot. I get what your sayin though, Europe aint the NBA and never will be, but I think its a viable option for him.

davg31
11-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Knicks time!

Team*Chicago
11-08-2009, 09:12 PM
hope he does go to bulls

Lets see him go to the TrailBlazers first since they are 3-3 and they desprately grabbed Andre Miller.

mzgrizz
11-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Look guys; he is NOT out of Memphis .......yet. The Commercial Appeal article clearly states Heisley said it had nothing to do with the team, but is a personal problem for him. Guess maybe it's time to give it a rest before we actually KNOW more?

Deezy Dee 24.
11-08-2009, 10:26 PM
^agreed

what the hell, calm down people

DeadMemories
11-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Rumor has it he's considering retirement. Hilarious.

pippsux
11-09-2009, 03:36 PM
I think he will sit out the rest of this season and try and convince somebody to sign him in 2010. Cavs might bite and trade for him, seeing that they are struggling out of the gate.

DLeeicious
11-09-2009, 03:47 PM
^^^^^^^^^I do and I will but I feel like SCREAMING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My husband already thinks I'm too much of a basketball nut, so I have to pull it up and quit agitating over this one.

I didn't know women like you existed! You probably wouldn't mind and even encourage my watching of every nba game I possibly could eh? There is hope!

As far as AI goes, I hope it doesn't end like this for him. He has to swallow his pride and realize he isn't a top tier player anymore, if he is lucky enough to have another chance he has to just accept the role given to him.

mzgrizz
11-09-2009, 11:31 PM
^^^^^ I guarantee you , women like me DO exist! And I love watching the League Pass, TNT, attending the games and yelling my head off.....I especially like to yell at the referees by their shirt numbers, and my hubby asks me to calm down way too much.
So yes, there is hope for you! BTW our first date was fishing for big mouth bass.
I am hoping( I guess.......) that AI can save face and come out of wherever he's hiding;that Hollins gets his head out of his *** and gives him the starting job. There is plenty of time for Conley to be a wonderful player, but man, he is NOT Allen Iverson.