PDA

View Full Version : How good is Chris Paul?

Nexus
11-07-2009, 12:19 PM
We know he's elite. We know he's arguably the best point guard. But I actually think Paul deserves more respect. I hear a lot of "D Will is better", a lot of "Rose will be better soon". I never hear him mentioned in the top 3, sometimes in the top 4. Have you seen how much his shot has developed over this past off-season? He's shooting .639 FG%, .722 from three, .872 FT%. He's essentially 29/10. You have to try and go over the screen defending him now. Where's the flaw? I don't see it. Maybe he's not perfect on defense but I'm just confused here.

CowboysKB24
11-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Who do you read and talk about sports with? They must be all idiots.

Nexus
11-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Who do you read and talk about sports with? They must be all idiots.

I got into an argument yesterday with someone who said Rose is already better. That was the straw that broke the camel's back.

clutchski
11-07-2009, 12:28 PM
CP3 is hands down the best point guard. Some of the shots/plays he makes are unreal.

RaptorizedKevin
11-07-2009, 12:36 PM
deron william is better in my opinion. they have more scorers on that team. the hornets barely have scoreres..

Sly Guy
11-07-2009, 12:46 PM
such wasted talent on NO. Either spend money and build a team, or trade him off. Let him show Rondo what he'd be able to do with actual PLAYERS surrounding him.

MackSnackWrap
11-07-2009, 12:46 PM
He has enough respect

jimbobjarree
11-07-2009, 02:05 PM
do you have your head buried in the sand or something?

magichatnumber9
11-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Chris Paul is the next Bruce Lee Bowen. Him and Rondo are the two dirtiest point guards in the league.

Ni55anpat
11-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Cp3 > Rondo by a mile

SirCalvin81
11-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Cp3 > Rondo by a mile

x2

Ebbs
11-07-2009, 02:46 PM
He has enough respect... Everyone knows hes good.

tdunk21
11-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Cp3 > Rondo by a mile

not a mile...its thousands of miles..

kayface
11-07-2009, 03:53 PM
his shot has gotten that much better making him even more of a threat, but i think he gets enough recognition, although he probably would get even more if he played on a more mainstream team like the lakers, celts, etc..

abe_froman
11-07-2009, 04:08 PM
its not arguably the best,he just is

FOBolous
11-07-2009, 04:10 PM
call me crazy but i'll take Chris Paul over Dwight Howard and Kobe ANY day. The ONLY player i wouldn't take over Chris Paul is Lebron James. Why?

1. big men are valued because they're more efficient scorers than guards and wing players. this doesn't apply to Chris Paul though. He's a VERY efficient scorer...he averaged 23 points on 50% shooting last year and he's averaging 29 points on 64% shooting this year. How many big man can say they're a more efficient scorer? not many...not Dwight Howard, not Tim Ducan, not Yao. I'll also go as far as saying that Chris Paul's playmaking ability is more valuable than Dwight Howard's rebounding ability. TONS of players can rebound but not very much players have good playmaking abilities.

2. Chris Paul is a more efficient scorer than Kobe Bryant. There. I said it. Yea Kobe averages more points per game but not by much. In addition to that...Chris Paul shoots at a waaay better percentage than Kobe Bryant. Every miss shot is an offensive opportunity for the opposing team and Kobe Bryant takes more shots than Chris Paul and misses more thus Kobe creates more offensive opportunities for the opposing team than Chris Paul. Chris Paul is also a superior playmaker than Kobe...that combined with CP3's efficiency in scoring makes CP3 a better offensive player than Kobe Bryant. Yea Kobe's a good defender...so is Chris Paul sooo :shrug:

imo...if Chris Paul has the right team around him, he could possibily win multiple championships.

Nexus
11-07-2009, 04:25 PM
call me crazy but i'll take Chris Paul over Dwight Howard and Kobe ANY day. The ONLY player i wouldn't take over Chris Paul is Lebron James. Why?

1. big men are valued because they're more efficient scorers than guards and wing players. this doesn't apply to Chris Paul though. He's a VERY efficient scorer...he averaged 23 points on 50% shooting last year and he's averaging 29 points on 64% shooting this year. How many big man can say they're a more efficient scorer? not many...not Dwight Howard, not Tim Ducan, not Yao. I'll also go as far as saying that Chris Paul's playmaking ability is more valuable than Dwight Howard's rebounding ability. TONS of players can rebound but not very much players have good playmaking abilities.

2. Chris Paul is a more efficient scorer than Kobe Bryant. There. I said it. Yea Kobe averages more points per game but not by much. In addition to that...Chris Paul shoots at a waaay better percentage than Kobe Bryant. Every miss shot is an offensive opportunity for the opposing team and Kobe Bryant takes more shots than Chris Paul and misses more thus Kobe creates more offensive opportunities for the opposing team than Chris Paul. Chris Paul is also a superior playmaker than Kobe...that combined with CP3's efficiency in scoring makes CP3 a better offensive player than Kobe Bryant. Yea Kobe's a good defender...so is Chris Paul sooo :shrug:

imo...if Chris Paul has the right team around him, he could possibily win multiple championships.

There's the post I was looking forward to seeing. An opinion for top 2 in the league.

Zefflin
11-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Yea Kobe's a good defender...so is Chris Paul sooo :shrug:

Kobe's a great defender, CP's barely a good defender. Just saying.

magichatnumber9
11-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Chris Paul is not just the greatest point guard to ever play in the NBA. He is the greatest man to ever walk the earth. He is a million times better the Stockton or any point guard I can think of. Deron Williams tapes all of the Hornets games and cries himself to sleep wishing he could only make that jump to perfection.

LeBron2NYK
11-07-2009, 05:06 PM
he's going to be the best point guard in NBA history not named Magic Johnson, in fact he may end up being the best guard in NBA history without the initials MJ (I think it'll be between him and Kobe) now obviously some new guy may show up and blow everyone away, but with what we have now and what we have had I think those are/will be the top four in NBA history.

FOBolous
11-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Kobe's a great defender, CP's barely a good defender. Just saying.

I concede that Kobe Bryant's is a better defender than Chris Paul but Chris Paul is a good defender in his own right.

Jaji
11-07-2009, 05:57 PM
I'd say "very good to great."

ARMIN12NBA
11-07-2009, 06:14 PM
We know he's elite. We know he's arguably the best point guard. But I actually think Paul deserves more respect. I hear a lot of "D Will is better", a lot of "Rose will be better soon". I never hear him mentioned in the top 3, sometimes in the top 4. Have you seen how much his shot has developed over this past off-season? He's shooting .639 FG%, .722 from three, .872 FT%. He's essentially 29/10. You have to try and go over the screen defending him now. Where's the flaw? I don't see it. Maybe he's not perfect on defense but I'm just confused here.

You answered your question. Chris Paul straight up plays bad defense.

Although, he has easily been the best offensive player thus far in the young season. In fact, his offensive statistics are mind-boggling.

JDizzle
11-07-2009, 07:39 PM
when its all said and done will be regarded as one of the best to ever play the postion

Toenail Clipper
11-07-2009, 07:44 PM

Haha yeah right!
Kobe Bryant is the best scorer ever, maybe behind Wilt Chamberlain. The only thing Kobe lacks is FG percentage because he doesn't drive more to the lane like Chris Paul.
DUH

FOBolous
11-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Haha yeah right!
Kobe Bryant is the best scorer ever, maybe behind Wilt Chamberlain. The only thing Kobe lacks is FG percentage because he doesn't drive more to the lane like Chris Paul.
DUH

uhhh...lol...:laugh2: that's all i can do man...laugh. you're one of those crazy kobe bryant homer/fan boys that think he's better than MJ huh? yea..if so, you're not worth having a discussion with and this is going to be the ONLY time i respond to you. good day.

Wilson
11-07-2009, 08:01 PM
It is weird that people don't see him as top three in the league. It feels kind of absurd to say that either Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Paul or Dwight Howard isn't a top three player in the NBA though. They're all great, but somebody has to be left out. It's going to get even harder with Carmelo improving his defense, I think by the end of the season he's going to be in this conversation.

Chris Paul is great and could be on the way to an MVP award I doubt he maintains his .722 3P%, but he's an amazingly offensively talented player.

dee279
11-07-2009, 08:06 PM
hes not good, hes great. ONe of the best PGs EVER, and only getting better.

Toenail Clipper
11-07-2009, 08:29 PM
uhhh...lol...:laugh2: that's all i can do man...laugh. you're one of those crazy kobe bryant homer/fan boys that think he's better than MJ huh? yea..if so, you're not worth having a discussion with and this is going to be the ONLY time i respond to you. good day.

First, I never said he was better than MJ did I? hm. Why did you bring that up? Second, I was never being a homer because Kobe is one of the all-time greats and I'm just appreciating his talent. Third, saying that Chris Paul is a better scorer than Kobe Bryant is stupid. Has Chris Paul ever scored above 50? Fourth, I never said anything bad about Chris Paul to tick your *** off so why are you mad? He's a great point guard, yes, but he won't be remembered in 50 years, will he? Derrick Rose is already outshining Chris Paul in terms of popularity growth.

_KB24_
11-07-2009, 08:42 PM
I see him being a Top 5 PG of all-time. He's going to be lightyears ahead of D-will when its all said and done. Unfortunately, I don't see him winning a ring until maybe when he's 30+ and not as elite.

JasonJohnHorn
11-07-2009, 08:54 PM
There aren't too many flaws in his game. One thing people don't give him credit four is being tough. I saw Eric Dampier intentionally push him (during the 08 playoff series with Dallas) hard enough to knock him down on the ground on a fast break where Dampier had no chance in hell of catching up with him. the refs didn't even call it as a flagarant. CP3 just popped back up off the ground and stared the guy down. I've seen Dwight Howard, Artest and Bryant make bigger deals out of smaller plays, and CP3 gets hit hard by a 7 fotter that has 13 inched on him about about a 150 pounds and he just picks himself up and keep playing.

That said, there are flaw. He's easy to defend when the ball isn't in his hand, and as good as he is on defence, he is still onyl 6 feet so taller point guards like Billups have an easy time posting up on him, but he still makes them work. He relies on quickness, so I can't see him posting a 20 year career like Stockton, and though he is the best passer in the league right now, on a historical view he doesn't rack up as many assists as Nash and Stockton have in the past, but he's got a different game from them so its not fair to compare.

The most impressive aspect of his game is the fact that he can score while making plays. He isn't a "score-first" point guard like Francis and MArbury were, but he score as much or more than them, but he's just doing his job when he does it, working the pick and roll and taking shots when he's left open, or driving to the basket to draw a double team and kick it out to teammates, but he's gotta shoot when he's open to keep defences honest and open up the floor for his teammates. His scoring average will go down by seasons end because he will get double-teamed more, but that will send his assit numbers up. I think Williams and Rose may be better than him in the future, because they have games that don't rely on quickness as much and will age better, but right now there is no question in my mind: CP3 is the best point guard in the league and will be a top-3 point guard in this league for the next ten years easy (baring injury of course).

Cheers!

Shady66
11-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Haha yeah right!
DUH

So why did kobe never just drive the lane all day if it meant he would shoot a higher % :shrug:

Kyben36
11-07-2009, 09:00 PM
The Rose is going to be better is just bulls fans speculating and having hope. D will is arguably better, however, I think that I would take CP3 over him. CP3 is proven to make players preform better than they are, Im not sure that D Will has.

masalex1205
11-07-2009, 09:28 PM
answer: really, really, really good

theuuord
11-07-2009, 11:34 PM
he is the third best player in the NBA.

daleja424
11-07-2009, 11:41 PM
best pg in the game... with a couple titles and continued good play he could be top 5 all time when it is all said and done...but we are a long way away from that

Chronz
11-08-2009, 12:04 AM

I dont necessarily agree with what you just said, but thats got to be the best post youve ever written.

First, I never said he was better than MJ did I? hm. Why did you bring that up? Second, I was never being a homer because Kobe is one of the all-time greats and I'm just appreciating his talent. Third, saying that Chris Paul is a better scorer than Kobe Bryant is stupid. Has Chris Paul ever scored above 50? Fourth, I never said anything bad about Chris Paul to tick your *** off so why are you mad? He's a great point guard, yes, but he won't be remembered in 50 years, will he? Derrick Rose is already outshining Chris Paul in terms of popularity growth.
Like I said earlier, I dont agree with everything he said, but its clear your lost. Where in that post did he say CP3 was a better scorer than Kobe. Cmon dude your a Clippers fan, you should know better, whats worse is that you bolded the damn thing.

Hawkeye15
11-08-2009, 12:10 AM
Paul is the best PG in the world currently. His efficiency, with his age and future ability, make him the PG to catch, period. He is the best pure PG since Stockton to play. Its too bad he doesn't have anything around him to help him get some playoff recognition.
When his career is done, if he stays healthy, he will be looked at as a top 5 PG ever.

MiamiHeat
11-08-2009, 12:12 AM
chris paul is good...real good

Toenail Clipper
11-08-2009, 12:13 AM
I dont necessarily agree with what you just said, but thats got to be the best post youve ever written.

Like I said earlier, I dont agree with everything he said, but its clear your lost. Where in that post did he say CP3 was a better scorer than Kobe. Cmon dude your a Clippers fan, you should know better, whats worse is that you bolded the damn thing.

Sir, I am not lost. On his second paragraph, it clearly states "Chris Paul is more of a efficient scorer than Kobe." Doesn't "more efficient" imply being better at something?

JordansBulls
11-08-2009, 12:16 AM

CP3 is great and all, but he has already lost with HCA and only has had 2 series with it.

Toenail Clipper
11-08-2009, 12:17 AM
So why did kobe never just drive the lane all day if it meant he would shoot a higher % :shrug:

i don't know. go ask Kobe!

kjoke
11-08-2009, 12:25 AM
hes aight

CowboysKB24
11-08-2009, 12:40 AM
I got into an argument yesterday with someone who said Rose is already better. That was the straw that broke the camel's back.

So he was a Chicago fan. Why do you even bother? You can't talk to anyone about sports on this forum unless it is about a team neither of you are a fan of.

CP3 is the best PG in the league. His team isn't that good, but that is not his fault. He needs another super star on his team. There is no way his team can compete with teams like Magic, Lakers, Celtics. I mean just look at the matchups.

Chronz
11-08-2009, 01:06 AM
Sir, I am not lost. On his second paragraph, it clearly states "Chris Paul is more of a efficient scorer than Kobe." Doesn't "more efficient" imply being better at something?

I guess I shouldnt speak on his behalf, FOB has made some really dumb statistical queries in the past but to me it could simply imply hes more efficient, its why he summarized his entire post by saying hes a better offensive player. He has a good argument in that regard but not concrete.

In terms of scoring and putting up point totals, well I doubt anyone would take that crown from Kobe so I dont think Fob was implying that at all.

Chronz
11-08-2009, 01:07 AM
CP3 is great and all, but he has already lost with HCA and only has had 2 series with it.

Did he lose to a better team?

Chronz
11-08-2009, 01:08 AM
i don't know. go ask Kobe!

But your the one making excuses for him remember?

Raph12
11-08-2009, 02:39 AM
CP3 is the best PG in the league, put him on any of his competitor's teams and he will do better than they currently are (except maybe D-Will, his only true competition at the point).

Run&Gun
11-08-2009, 03:32 AM
CP3 is by far the best PG in the league. He plays great defense for his size, he just has trouble with screens and posting pg's. But he has great anticipation and quick hands for those steals. He might play better D if his team wasn't so crappy and he didn't have to do everything. As far as D-will and Rose, both are beast but they are not better yet. With D-will he's a better man on man defender because of size but not a very good pick pocket, gets more TO's, not a very good rebounder despite size and even though he has a great jumpshot, his 3 point shooting is streaky, may be just because he doesn't take that many though. And in some sense I feel Rose is little overhyped right now. I mean Rose is talented, but I have a feeling he'll take some time to develop. He's got a pretty good mid range game right now and he can break just about anybody to the rim, but I haven't seen that great playmaking that I see in Nash, CP3, Kidd or D-will yet. At least not on a consistant basis, and he still tries to force things out there. A lot of it I think he just needs to polish on his offensive and defensive skills, and work on his basketball IQ No doubt though he's got a lot of raw talent, super athletic, super fast and strong may just be the PG version of Lebron. But as of now, he's at least 2 years away from Chris Paul or D-will.

Lakersfan2483
11-08-2009, 03:49 AM
Chris Paul is a top 5 player, he's right behind Kobe, Lebron and Wade.

ecorrea
11-08-2009, 03:54 AM
i think paul is overhyped

hes great... but he is too small to make the impact an elite player makes

he cant impose his will with his size and thats that

spacemandave
11-08-2009, 03:59 AM
i like watching d-will try to look cool dribbling, guy could barely put it between his legs and cp3 can do those old school nike dribbling commercials in his sleep. guys work and pray their whole lives to shoot a decent j..."dear god if u listenin just gimme an ok j, pleeeease", cp3 sets out one year to work on mid range j and his brilliant, and its only been a couple games but his 3 is looking pretty good too...also bulked up from what ive heard so tougher to push around as well...

my girlfriend and i were laughing that every time i put the game on i say ooo cp3s gonna have a big game, he doesnt like ______(mavs, spurs, vujacic, nate robinson, etc)...and other pgs aint lining up to take shots at any other guy but him bc they know hes the best....ps i rly think tony parker is number 2, can do it all and is crazy quick.

cro_2pac
11-08-2009, 09:36 AM

u joking right?

1.PG CP3

2.Dwill

3.Parker
4.Nash (still got it)
5.kidd (still got it)

daisuke4cy
11-08-2009, 09:52 AM
chris paul is rajon rondo with 3 point range.

Nexus
11-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Did he lose to a better team?

In seven, averaging 24-11.

MiamiHeat
11-08-2009, 01:52 PM
chris paul is rajon rondo with 3 point range.

:facepalm:
so you're saying if Rondo developed a 3 point shot he would be equal to CP3?

HiphopRelated
11-08-2009, 02:32 PM
so you're saying if Rondo developed a 3 point shot he would be equal to CP3?
Rondo's jumper is the only thing keeping him from being an elite pg

Litchris12
11-08-2009, 02:46 PM
its not him its the team

Patsfreak1776
11-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Chris Paul is VERY VERY VERY GREAT! AI great. He'll put up the numbers but in hsi career he won't ever win a title.

As for him being the best PG. Chauncey Billups says hello.

KnicksorBust
11-08-2009, 03:17 PM
best pg in the game... with a couple titles and continued good play he could be top 5 all time when it is all said and done...but we are a long way away from that

A lot of things have to go right for Chris Paul to become a Top 5 player of All-Time. Right now, THIS SEASON, he is a more effecient and better Oscar Robertson. Keep in mind, Oscar put up 30-10-10 in his prime and is one of the top 10 players of all-time. Paul's shooting percentages put him right there. The problem is you can't have a PG average 30-10 and expect to succeed in the postseason which will ultimately keep him out of the greatest players discussion.

I do believe Chris Paul is in the mold of the great PGs. You look at a guys like Isiah Thomas and Magic (#1) Johnson who mastered the PG position. Their career averages are eerily similar.

Magic Johnson - 19.5ppg, 11.2apg, 7.2 rpg, 1.9spg
Isiah Thomas - 19.2ppg, 9.3apg, 3.6rpg, 1.9 spg

These are guys that could make the big plays, take over when necessary, and elevated their teammates. Right now Paul is in a situation where his team is losing and he has no choice but to carry too much of the load. While his numbers are exploding, the Hornets will never go anywhere if Chris Paul has to do this much for his team to succeed. Also there is no logical reason for Paul's defensive rating to jump from a very respectable 103 last season to a horrendous 115 this season. He can't go off for 26 but also let Tony Parker go 6-9 for 17 points on him. Those kind of performances won't take him to where he needs to go.

theuuord
11-08-2009, 05:57 PM
These are guys that could make the big plays, take over when necessary, and elevated their teammates. Right now Paul is in a situation where his team is losing and he has no choice but to carry too much of the load. While his numbers are exploding, the Hornets will never go anywhere if Chris Paul has to do this much for his team to succeed. Also there is no logical reason for Paul's defensive rating to jump from a very respectable 103 last season to a horrendous 115 this season. He can't go off for 26 but also let Tony Parker go 6-9 for 17 points on him. Those kind of performances won't take him to where he needs to go.

defensive rating is probably the most flawed APBRmetric, individual defense is almost impossible to measure accurately due to the countless amount of nuances involved. having a DRtg of 115 6 games in is most likely due to a) the overall team defense lacking and b) it being six games into the season.

KnicksorBust
11-08-2009, 07:12 PM
defensive rating is probably the most flawed APBRmetric, individual defense is almost impossible to measure accurately due to the countless amount of nuances involved. having a DRtg of 115 6 games in is most likely due to a) the overall team defense lacking and b) it being six games into the season.

I said he's playing better than Oscar Robertson and you spin the one negative I point out? Really? Just because it's flawed doesn't mean it isn't worth mentioning especially considering how accurate it is in pinpointing strong and weak defenders. The KGs and Bruce Bowens end up with the lowest ratings and the Nate Robinson's and Hakim Warrick's end up with the high ratings. Besides, if we want to rave about his incredible offensive performance in 6 games then the other side of the ball should be fair game as well. How about the fact that in 5 of those 6 games the opposing PGs all played at or above their offensive abilities?

NYYankeesWin#27
11-08-2009, 07:25 PM
hes amazing

theuuord
11-08-2009, 07:28 PM
I said he's playing better than Oscar Robertson and you spin the one negative I point out? Really? Just because it's flawed doesn't mean it isn't worth mentioning especially considering how accurate it is in pinpointing strong and weak defenders. The KGs and Bruce Bowens end up with the lowest ratings and the Nate Robinson's and Hakim Warrick's end up with the high ratings. Besides, if we want to rave about his incredible offensive performance in 6 games then the other side of the ball should be fair game as well. How about the fact that in 5 of those 6 games the opposing PGs all played at or above their offensive abilities?

I already said he was the third best player in the NBA. people here who have argued with me know i'd take him over Kobe. relax dude. I was just clarifying that using DRtg as an argument for his defensive ability when it is such a varied stat, especially so early in the season, isn't the best argument you can make.
even the creator of DRtg (Dean Oliver) acknowledges that in its current manifestation it can't be used effectively to gauge individual defense, just team defense.

AllTheWay
11-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Chris Paul should go down as the second best PG to ever play the game.

alexander_37
11-09-2009, 12:10 AM
If he was 6'2 - 6'4 he could very well be the best PG of all time, but as of now he is just very good. He lacks the height to defend taller guards. Anyone 6'4 of taller can shoot right over him no problem. He may be the bets offensive PG in the NBA but his defense is lacking enough to keep him out of the great category. Stop calling him HOF already wait till the man has like 8 seasons under his belt then we can talk.

barreleffact
11-09-2009, 03:54 AM
There aren't too many flaws in his game. One thing people don't give him credit four is being tough. I saw Eric Dampier intentionally push him (during the 08 playoff series with Dallas) hard enough to knock him down on the ground on a fast break where Dampier had no chance in hell of catching up with him. the refs didn't even call it as a flagarant. CP3 just popped back up off the ground and stared the guy down. I've seen Dwight Howard, Artest and Bryant make bigger deals out of smaller plays, and CP3 gets hit hard by a 7 fotter that has 13 inched on him about about a 150 pounds and he just picks himself up and keep playing.

That said, there are flaw. He's easy to defend when the ball isn't in his hand, and as good as he is on defence, he is still onyl 6 feet so taller point guards like Billups have an easy time posting up on him, but he still makes them work. He relies on quickness, so I can't see him posting a 20 year career like Stockton, and though he is the best passer in the league right now, on a historical view he doesn't rack up as many assists as Nash and Stockton have in the past, but he's got a different game from them so its not fair to compare.

The most impressive aspect of his game is the fact that he can score while making plays. He isn't a "score-first" point guard like Francis and MArbury were, but he score as much or more than them, but he's just doing his job when he does it, working the pick and roll and taking shots when he's left open, or driving to the basket to draw a double team and kick it out to teammates, but he's gotta shoot when he's open to keep defences honest and open up the floor for his teammates. His scoring average will go down by seasons end because he will get double-teamed more, but that will send his assit numbers up. I think Williams and Rose may be better than him in the future, because they have games that don't rely on quickness as much and will age better, but right now there is no question in my mind: CP3 is the best point guard in the league and will be a top-3 point guard in this league for the next ten years easy (baring injury of course).

Cheers!

i agree mostly, but i have sum key problems. 1 when does cp3 ever NOT have the ball in his hand? his team is so bad that he is the only guy on it capable of doing anything for himself. so personally if he isnt the best slasher, idc. what pg is?

2nd. nash?...:facepalm:
nash was in the leage 8 seasons before he averaged more than 8 apg. cp3 has somewhere near 9 for his career. with no marque guy like a dirk to pass to. when nash went to the suns he couldve dropped the ball and picked up an assist. the suns may not have had players that could create for themselves but they did have a vast number of finishers.

ChiSox219
11-09-2009, 04:06 AM
i'll say he's better than Kobe

Not sure about Lebron since he's Paul has such a size disadvantage.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-09-2009, 04:56 AM
i'll say he's better than Kobe

Not sure about Lebron since he's Paul has such a size disadvantage.

rocky4104
11-09-2009, 05:49 AM
unfortunate that he cannot live to his potential playing in NO - no disrespect to the other guys but put Paul in Boston for example and Celts will be unbeatable

ChiSox219
11-09-2009, 06:06 AM

I expect nothing less from a fan who thinks Kobe will 70 games this season

Giants-49ers-Ws
11-09-2009, 06:30 AM
he's really good

Vinny642
11-09-2009, 10:25 PM
He is amazing, I agree some people underrated him but he is easily a top 5 player in the NBA, he is easily right now the best point guard, the gap between him and DWill got alot wider this season. His shooting got alot better. I dont think he is really that dirty at all.

Vinny642
11-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Chris Paul should go down as the second best PG to ever play the game.

+1 Thats what I think

Confusion
11-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Top three, and he's getting better and better.

69centers
11-10-2009, 10:50 AM
I can't believe people are even mentioning Paul in the same breath as Stockton. Give me a break. Until Paul averages over 10APG for 10 straight years, and average 10+APG over 19 years, you can't even talk about them on the same page.

While granted he may have cracked the all time top 10 point guard list, no way is he top 5 yet. All are better career wise: Robertson, Johnson, Stockton, Cousy, Thomas, Frazier, J-Kidd, Nash, and Archibald. I'd say CP3 just slips in at number 10 behind them.

unwantedplayer
11-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Cp3 > Rondo by a mile

And you have nothing to back that up with. Everybody is like "Oh Rondo wouldn't do good if he wasn't on a team with good players surrounding him." That is completely wrong. Rondo has the quickness and strength to drive to the basket and kick it out to a wide open man, no matter what team it is. Rondo is a gifted player, and we all saw how he played against CP3 this year.

CP3 might be the better offensive player, but Rondo is the better defensive player. Sometimes it amazes me how people always put Rondo down just because he is on a winning team. CP3 is great player no doubt, but give Rondo some credit.

KnicksorBust
11-10-2009, 12:04 PM
I can't believe people are even mentioning Paul in the same breath as Stockton. Give me a break. Until Paul averages over 10APG for 10 straight years, and average 10+APG over 19 years, you can't even talk about them on the same page.

While granted he may have cracked the all time top 10 point guard list, no way is he top 5 yet. All are better career wise: Robertson, Johnson, Stockton, Cousy, Thomas, Frazier, J-Kidd, Nash, and Archibald. I'd say CP3 just slips in at number 10 behind them.

Career wise I agree completely. Your list is extremely accurate (although if it's put in order than Magic should be ahead of the Big O). People are mostly looking at this question in terms of talent and his current season. What he's doing right now offensively is better than any single season Stockton has ever had.

jim51990
11-10-2009, 12:29 PM
He's great but d will is better

ElMarroAfamado
11-10-2009, 01:28 PM
i hope u guys aremt basing this on the game he had against THE CLIPPERS

ragee
11-10-2009, 02:35 PM
He is the best pg in the league but if you are talking about deserving respect, he is getting more love than D-Will... Another thing, although he is the best pg in the league, I would rather get D-Will on my team though because of his size and strength...

psdking
11-10-2009, 02:39 PM
how good is chris paul?---> ask rondo
how good is chris paul?---> 1000x better than rondo

theuuord
11-10-2009, 05:26 PM

I agree, but isn't it wild that he's so good already that there are only 9 point guards who have had a better career than him, and he's only in his fifth year in the league?

He really has the chance to be regarded as one of the greatest players ever to play basketball. he's really, really special.

kEviN21
11-10-2009, 05:54 PM
not a mile...its thousands of miles..

wrong millions

MakaSizzle
11-10-2009, 06:05 PM
he's going to be the best point guard in NBA history not named Magic Johnson, in fact he may end up being the best guard in NBA history without the initials MJ (I think it'll be between him and Kobe) now obviously some new guy may show up and blow everyone away, but with what we have now and what we have had I think those are/will be the top four in NBA history.

His name is John Wall

jwn0303
11-10-2009, 07:19 PM
His name is John Wall

The guy that led his high school team to an outstanding 17-15 record. Let the guy play a college game first please. Against a decent team before you make statements like that.

Vinny642
11-10-2009, 07:21 PM
I think CP will end up as a top 5 PG, its a little early but he is on the right track, he is the only PG to have led the league in both assists and steals for 2 seasons, also he is a better scorer then Stockton.

GreenMan305
11-10-2009, 07:35 PM
i hate chris fall.. i just cant stand the sight of him.. all he does is run up and down the court flopping around.. hes the vlade divas of point guards

btw d will and nash>> paul

paul is a stat padder

nash makes everyone around 100 times better

d will is better than paul.. just paul gets all the press

*Superman*
11-10-2009, 07:48 PM
If anything Nash needs more credit, having 2 20 assist games already. Wow, and he is helping Phx to that great record.

AI4MVP
11-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Hes prolly the best overall point guard in the nba, but the best offensive point guard in the nba Steve Nash and whoever disagrees just htes on Nash because he isnt black and full of swagg and hip-hopped. but hes the best shooter, passer, ball handler, court leader, best court vision, ect. Steve Nash is by far the best offensive point guard in the league

Vinny642
11-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Nash is close to being equal on the offensive end as Paul but he isn't. If you watched any Hornets game, you see CP drastically improved his 3 point shooting and overall shooting.

AI4MVP
11-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Nash is close to being equal on the offensive end as Paul but he isn't. If you watched any Hornets game, you see CP drastically improved his 3 point shooting and overall shooting.

i have watched and i know he has, but to say hes anywhere as close to a good shooter as Nash is foolish

Vinny642
11-11-2009, 07:30 AM
i have watched and i know he has, but to say hes anywhere as close to a good shooter as Nash is foolish

Im not saying that now lol, he is a better scorer though, and a better leader.

IntrovertedJoka
11-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Keep in mind New Orleans play at a slow pace, if they played at a much faster pace, like the pace Pheonix plays at for example, his numbers would inflate very significantly. This is why he is still underrated. Here's another thing to keep in mind, Michael Jordan is the all time leader of PER, Player Efficiency Rating, with a score of 27.9. The last 2 seasons Cp3 registered a PER of 28.3 and 30. And then to think he's still improving.. he's not just good, he's Scary good.