PDA

View Full Version : Definition of Bust

LeBron2NYK
11-07-2009, 02:28 AM
I keep hearing two different definitions of bust and I think there should only be one. Is it the Darko Milicic top pick who did nothing version? Or is it the Tyrus Thomas did something but hasn't validated himself as a top pick? I think there needs to be a set definition of the word bust because I think it's unfair to group guys like Darko with guys like Tyrus because at the very least Tyrus is a good rotation player while Darko is an 11th or 12th man. Therefore I think that the term bust should be reserved for guys like Darko, while guys like Tyrus should just be said to have not met expectations but have still made something of themselves. Thoughts?

Kyben36
11-07-2009, 02:34 AM
All Foreign players have a High Bust factor, nobody knows how there game will translate. Players like Tyrus are players drafted on potential, so calling someobody a bust when they arnt even proven to do anyting yet, I just dont like that.

IMO, a bust would be a player like Blake Griffin or Beasley ( somebody who is expected to be good ) and ends up being a bench player ( not saying anything about Blake or Beasley, just saying, they where expected to be good, and if they dont become starters, they would be the def of bust.

I just dont like Calling players drafted under potential ( and realy not proving anything ) bust.

Raph12
11-07-2009, 02:35 AM
Bust is when a prospect does not meet expectations. PERIOD.

Gibby23
11-07-2009, 02:37 AM
Kendrick Perkins

blazerman
11-07-2009, 02:45 AM
Kendrick Perkins

Whatever, he isnt a bust.

Gibby23
11-07-2009, 02:47 AM
Whatever, he isnt a bust.

Ok, then I pick Greg Oden.

Kyben36
11-07-2009, 03:01 AM
Ok, then I pick Greg Oden.

Cant say that yet, Greg has time still and hasnt been given up on.

But as I stated earlier, a player drafted as a project IMO cant be a Bust, becasue of the fact they are a project. A player like Oden ( suposed to be the next big C ) and turns out into Tyson chander, that would be a bust.

Gibby23
11-07-2009, 03:08 AM
Cant say that yet, Greg has time still and hasnt been given up on.

But as I stated earlier, a player drafted as a project IMO cant be a Bust, becasue of the fact they are a project. A player like Oden ( suposed to be the next big C ) and turns out into Tyson chander, that would be a bust.

Ok, Tyrus Thomas.

Bulls_fan90
11-07-2009, 03:13 AM
Kwame Brown. Close thread/

Wilson
11-07-2009, 03:15 AM

:nod: And since teams always have different expectations of their draftees, you can't have a set definition of a bust...

Cash
11-07-2009, 03:16 AM
Definitely wouldn't call Tyrus Thomas a bust, since he always was labeled as a long project, and is actually capable of starting. Adam Morrison definitely comes to mind as a bust. Everyone thought this guy was the next Larry Bird, but the guy really does suck.

ldc62
11-07-2009, 03:19 AM
I would say Oden. People are going to argue how he has only played 1 year, but during that year he has done nothing special. His stats were terrible and if he played more than 30 mins he would foul out. People are calling Sam Bowie a bust, but Sam Bowie has respectable stats. Cannot say the same for Oden.

abe_froman
11-07-2009, 03:27 AM
I keep hearing two different definitions of bust and I think there should only be one. Is it the Darko Milicic top pick who did nothing version? Or is it the Tyrus Thomas did something but hasn't validated himself as a top pick? I think there needs to be a set definition of the word bust because I think it's unfair to group guys like Darko with guys like Tyrus because at the very least Tyrus is a good rotation player while Darko is an 11th or 12th man. Therefore I think that the term bust should be reserved for guys like Darko, while guys like Tyrus should just be said to have not met expectations but have still made something of themselves. Thoughts?

thats the definition of bust,a guy who didnt live up to expectations

metsfan316
11-07-2009, 03:30 AM
Kwame brown 1st pick
Bargz 1st pick(good but not as good as expected)
Tyrus Thomas 4th pick
Kevin Love 5th pick(had OJ Mayo and Traded him for Love:pity:)
Yi Jianlian 6th pick
Corey Brewer 7th pick
Sheldan Williams 5th pick
Adam Morrison 3rd pick
Martell Webster 6th pick
Shaun Livingston 3rd pick
Rafael Araujo 8th pick
Mike Sweetney 9th pick
Darko Milicic 9th pick(could of had Melo, Wade, Bosh):pity:

All people expected to be starters and maybe even stars.

bigsams50
11-07-2009, 06:31 AM
You cant call Kevin Love a bust. This is his second year

raptor fan
11-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Kwame brown 1st pick
Tyrus Thomas 4th pick
Yi Jianlian 6th pick
Corey Brewer 7th pick
Adam Morrison 3rd pick
Martell Webster 6th pick
Rafael Araujo 8th pick
Mike Sweetney 9th pick (could of had Melo, Wade, Bosh):pity:

i get your point about sweetney, but how could the knicks have had melo, wade or bosh? they were all selected before #9

Also, i wouldn't say that bargnani, or love are busts.

MackSnackWrap
11-07-2009, 11:19 AM

thats seems to be right

mark1125
11-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Two players immediately come to mind.

Kwame Brown
Michael Olawokandi

LanceUpperCut
11-07-2009, 11:44 AM
People who still call Bargnani a bust should be shot.

BkOriginalOne
11-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Kwame brown 1st pick
Tyrus Thomas 4th pick
Yi Jianlian 6th pick
Corey Brewer 7th pick
Adam Morrison 3rd pick
Martell Webster 6th pick
Rafael Araujo 8th pick

I wouldn't call Barg, Tyrus, Webster busts, Yes, they were drafted high, but they are still good players.
Also, guys like YI and Brewer don't deserve it either because they have yet to find a consistent minutes in a system where this no excuse for the lack of contribution.

Livingston?!? Dude broke his leg.
Sweetney, Araujo, Morrison and Williams - okay, those are busts

MakaSizzle
11-07-2009, 12:05 PM
mets fan is probably a 12 year old mamas

Mrphilly
11-07-2009, 12:05 PM
You can only be a bust, if you were given a sufficent oppertunity to play and you proved you could not.

Tyrus Thomas can play, plus he is still very young.

Bargz is off to a great start. Cavz dont want to see him again.

Same goes for Yi, Brewer and Love.

I think people love to put the bust label on a player when he is not a obvious superstar, like CP3, or Durant, But you can have a great career without being a superstar.

I got a question, are you a bust if nobody in the world thought you can play except for the team that drafted you. Like a Sheldon Williams or an Rafeal Araujo?

RaptorizedKevin
11-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Kwame brown 1st pick
Tyrus Thomas 4th pick
Yi Jianlian 6th pick
Corey Brewer 7th pick
Adam Morrison 3rd pick
Martell Webster 6th pick
Rafael Araujo 8th pick

how could yu have melo wade of bosh? the 9th pick is far from 5th pick. so dont say yu could have hade melo wade or bosh.

bargs isnt a bust. hes averings 20 pts 7 rebs. how the hell is that a bust?

MrFastBreak
11-07-2009, 01:55 PM
When a player does not live up to their expectations. Whatever they did in college, people expect them to translate it to the NBA. If they dont do that, they're considered a bust to my eyes.

Hellcrooner
11-07-2009, 02:01 PM
bust is when you were selected on the lottery and after 4 or 5 years you are eiher out of the legue or playing 4 minutes a game,

or if you are a top 5 pick and are not a starter ot 5th man at worst

magichatnumber9
11-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Kendrick Perkins
Andrew Dynoflat Bynum

magichatnumber9
11-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Why do people post before they do some research. Michael Sweetney, come on man Melo was drafted a lot higher then the 9th spot in that draft.

BlinkManJan02
11-07-2009, 02:35 PM
How about players like Darko = Super Bust
Players like Tyrus = Bust
?

ink
11-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Bust (definition): the obsession of fans who get more out of talking about failure than success.

Wilson
11-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Bust (definition): the obsession of fans who get more out of talking about failure than success.

:laugh2:

tdunk21
11-07-2009, 03:39 PM
kwame brown, greg oden

abe_froman
11-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Kwame brown 1st pick
Tyrus Thomas 4th pick
Yi Jianlian 6th pick
Corey Brewer 7th pick
Adam Morrison 3rd pick
Martell Webster 6th pick
Rafael Araujo 8th pick

how are bargs and love busts?
bargs is averaging 20/7
love is only in his 2nd year(injured) and was awesome as a rookie

FlakeyFool
11-07-2009, 03:43 PM
bargnani haters UNITE!

he isn't a bust btw

metsfan316
11-13-2009, 03:36 AM
i get your point about sweetney, but how could the knicks have had melo, wade or bosh? they were all selected before #9

Also, i wouldn't say that bargnani, or love are busts.

i ment to put darko milicic under sweetney, then put that next to it

badkins1121
11-13-2009, 04:42 AM
LOL at Love as a bust. He averaged 11/9 as a rookie in like 24 MPG. Yeah we had OJ but we also dumped 3 bad contracts that we would still be paying thru 2011 plus we already had a combo guard in Foye :sigh:

Kevj77
11-13-2009, 04:52 AM
Andrew Dynoflat BynumWhat? He has had two knee injuries where his own team blew out his knee in a collision and is averaging 20/10 this year. Dudes going to be a All Star this year unless he gets hurt again.

DitchDat
11-13-2009, 05:07 AM
How about Patrick O'Bryant

wasn't he picked #13
He's a towel boy with 6 fouls

DetroitRipCity
11-13-2009, 06:57 AM
Bust
Noun - Kwame Brown

bal_ravens
11-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Len Bias

thesparky33
11-13-2009, 01:51 PM
I think of bust only when a guy is a "sure thing" coming into the league, and then we figure out the guy isnt at all... in any way.

Darko, Olowakandi, Kwame Brown all come to mind. But some of the guys that have been mentioned here are far from busts IMO. I think the term is thrown around too loosely. Just because a guy is drafted in the lottery doesnt mean that he should be an allstar caliber player. There are some drafts that are very weak, so a guy that goes #6 overall would maybe not even be a lottery pick in a different draft, so judging a guy based on the position he was drafted is erroneous as well.

If you're going to consider Ty Thomas a bust, then you might as well consider the majority of the 2006 lottery a bust, except for Aldridge, Roy, and Rudy Gay.

ldc62
11-13-2009, 07:27 PM
I think of bust only when a guy is a "sure thing" coming into the league, and then we figure out the guy isnt at all... in any way.

Darko, Olowakandi, Kwame Brown all come to mind. But some of the guys that have been mentioned here are far from busts IMO. I think the term is thrown around too loosely. Just because a guy is drafted in the lottery doesnt mean that he should be an allstar caliber player. There are some drafts that are very weak, so a guy that goes #6 overall would maybe not even be a lottery pick in a different draft, so judging a guy based on the position he was drafted is erroneous as well.

If you're going to consider Ty Thomas a bust, then you might as well consider the majority of the 2006 lottery a bust, except for Aldridge, Roy, and Rudy Gay.

Bargnani is better than Gay and Aldridge...

Ollie Tabooger
11-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Kwame brown 1st pick
Tyrus Thomas 4th pick
Yi Jianlian 6th pick
Corey Brewer 7th pick
Adam Morrison 3rd pick
Martell Webster 6th pick
Rafael Araujo 8th pick
Mike Sweetney 9th pick
Darko Milicic 9th pick(could of had Melo, Wade, Bosh):pity:

Martell Webster is not even close to being a bust. He was injured all year last year.

sciferguy
11-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Greg Oden is not a bust...dude is averaging 16/9 with 2 blocks a game in 23 minutes the last few games, he has been better every game he plays so far this year..the last 2 years have definately been a disappointment but he is right on track with his microfracture recovery and is now focused on really lighting it up.....now if he gets a season ending injury again in the next year or 2...then i will say the hype surrounding him is a bust...but if not..then he is the legitamate option for the Blazers as the first pick of the draft

Yankee Lifer
11-13-2009, 08:28 PM

Darko is a bust for sure. If your grading it that way Tyrus is the slot right under bust.

baseball321
11-13-2009, 08:47 PM
if you look up the definition of bust in a modern day dictionary you will see a picture of adam morrison missing a slamdunk...

Korman12
11-13-2009, 10:55 PM
A bust is a player drafted relatively high (lets say top 20) and have been given a sufficient amount of time to prove whether or not their draft selection merits their position in the NBA.

Andrea Bargnani, while some people have been relatively disappointed with his play so far in the league (arguing he did not deserve the #1 slot), he's still a sure-fire starter in the league. No, his play hasn't equated to a number one overall selection, but he is still by far better than average. Again, not a number one, but not a bust either.

Kevin Love was very good in his rookie year and got hurt. Not a bust.

Greg Oden missed his first season, played mediocre in his first "full" season, and has been improving. Not showing #1 status yet, but then again not a full-fledged failure either.

A bust is a high-priced failure. Nikolaz Tskitishvili, drafted fifth overall in 2005, is the most true bust I can think of. While Darko is bad, Nikolaz was never even fit to play in a uniform. So beyond bad that most NBA fans outside of Denver will never remember him.

Hellcrooner
11-13-2009, 11:46 PM
im not a nuggets fan and clearly rmeber nikoloz, but dont foret clippers korolev.

Turtle55
11-13-2009, 11:59 PM
You cant call Kevin Love a bust. This is his second year

Kevin Love was a walking double double as a rookie. It's pretty crazy to even mention him as a potential bust.

JWO35
11-14-2009, 12:02 AM
Len Bias

/thread

Shaddix
11-14-2009, 12:04 AM
The term "bust" has to start and end with Len Bias, biggest bust of all time. Call me a homer or whatever but when you get a guy with he number 2 overall pick who never even plays a game for you(no matter the reason), then that is a bust.

Turtle55
11-14-2009, 12:09 AM
Roy Tarpley? Or does anyone remember Felipe Lopez? Ed Obannon. Ryan Leaf (wrong sport but the word bust should almost be changed to Leaf).

Gambeezy
11-14-2009, 12:11 AM
All Foreign players have a High Bust factor, nobody knows how there game will translate. Players like Tyrus are players drafted on potential, so calling someobody a bust when they arnt even proven to do anyting yet, I just dont like that.

IMO, a bust would be a player like Blake Griffin or Beasley ( somebody who is expected to be good ) and ends up being a bench player ( not saying anything about Blake or Beasley, just saying, they where expected to be good, and if they dont become starters, they would be the def of bust.

I just dont like Calling players drafted under potential ( and realy not proving anything ) bust.

Apparently you don't watch Heat games :facepalm:

Beasley starts for the Heat. He's only a 2nd year player so I wouldn't pull the trigger on the bust label anytime soon. He's not one-dimensional like Tyrus.

Turtle55
11-14-2009, 12:15 AM
Apparently you don't watch Heat games :facepalm:

Beasley starts for the Heat. He's only a 2nd year player so I wouldn't pull the trigger on the bust label anytime soon. He's not one-dimensional like Tyrus.

In his defense I don't think he was calling Beasley a bust. I think he was talking about hype at the level that guys like Beasley and Griffin had on them coming in. I think he was just referencing their hype level and not those two actual players. But you're right it's way too early to know how good Beasley will be and he probably won't be a bust.

JasonJohnHorn
11-14-2009, 12:44 AM
Darko is a bust. Danny Ferry was a bust. Michael OlawaCandy was a bust. Shawn Bradley was a bust. Kwambe Brown was a bust. These guys were all picked top or near the top and expected to be huge impact players. When Thomas was drafted the draft was viewed as a little weak. Some drafts are seen a deep and there are high expectation on players drafted 1-6 or 7. Othe drafts there are only one or two players with high expectations. So a number six guy could be a bust if there were high expectations, or they could be a project, depending on the hype around the player. But any first round pick that never gets to starts and is bumped out of the league inside three years is a bust in my book.

Thomas was a high pick, but people weren't expecting him to be the next Karl Malone or anything, so he, like Noak, Eddie Curry and Tyson Chandler and Andrew Bynum were all seen as projects, where as Elton Brand had high expectations coming in and performed for the Bulls.

As for guys like Greg Oden, he's on the fence. He's a dominant rebounder who plays hard on defence, but commits a lot fo fouls and has seemingly no offence. If he gets the fouls down he could be the best rebounder in the league, but he could turn out to be a bust like Kwambe Brown if he can't reign in the fouls because keeping him on the floor would hurt the team too much. He is certainly a bit of a bust right now, but may yet prove his value.

There is another type of bust as well, the free agent bust. Guys who've played well, get huge contracts and then such: Elton Brand (sorry, I love the guy but he just isn't playing the ball he used to play), Larry Hughes (sorry again, I was really looking forward to seeing him provide LBJ with that second scoring option, but he just didn't) and Marbury.

But what about the opposite of bust? The boom? Boozer and Millsap were both late picks and played great and surprised many. Ginobili and Parker as well. Billups was a free agent boom for the pistons and a boom for the nuggets. Lets give a little love to go along with the hating.

Ironman5219
11-14-2009, 12:52 AM
In the NFL it means two words Jamarcus Russell
NBA... Andrew Bynum

jimbobjarree
11-14-2009, 01:50 AM
a high priced failure. Someone who doesnt live up to the expectations of their pick number, and definatly someone who doesnt have an as good a career as someone picked lower than them.

29$JerZ
11-14-2009, 02:04 AM
A Bust is someone who was drafted high (Top 14 pick) and didn't meet expectations.

A lottery team needs players to help them, so one who is drafted with that hope and doesn;t meet it should be calles a bust.

Of course there are factors like wrong team, wrong system, wrong time,etc that could make the bust talk legit and not really fair but the fact is your selected there so bust.

Korman12
11-14-2009, 02:21 AM
I think for those who qualify Bias as bust simply because he never stepped on the court are looking at the definition a little too loosely.

Bias, and for that matter guys like Jason Williams, should be excluded from the "bust" discussion because of freak occurances. Since when did the definition include "death"?

Hellcrooner
11-14-2009, 12:09 PM
tarpley was not a bust, he was astounding.

Drugs got in his way , but that does not make him a bust

Giantwarrior
11-14-2009, 12:36 PM
bust

1. Slang
a. To smash or break, especially forcefully: "Mr. Luger worked it with a rake, busting up the big clods, making a flat brown table" (Garrison Keillor).
b. To render inoperable or unusable: busted the vending machine by putting in foreign coins.
2. To cause to come to an end; break up: an attempt to bust the union.
3. To break or tame (a horse).
4. To cause to become bankrupt or short of money: "Too often, the promise of a high-tech design leads to a weapon that busts the budget" (Business Week).
5. Slang To reduce in rank. See Synonyms at demote.
6. To hit; punch.
7. Slang
a. To place under arrest.
b. To make a police raid on.
v.intr.
1. Slang
a. To undergo breakage; become broken.
b. To burst; break: "Several companies have threatened to bust out of their high-wage contracts by the dubious technique of declaring bankruptcy" (Washington Post).
2. To become bankrupt or short of money.
3. Games To lose at blackjack by exceeding a score of 21.
n.
1. A failure; a flop: "The home-style bean curd is a bust, oily and rubbery" (Mark and Gail Barnett).
2. A state of bankruptcy.
3. A time or period of widespread financial depression: "Bankers consider the region's diversified economy to be good protection against a possible real estate bust" (American Banker).
4. A punch; a blow.
5. A spree: a fraternity beer bust.
6. Slang
a. An arrest.
b. A raid.
Idiom:
bust (one's) butt/*** Vulgar Slang
To make a strenuous effort; work very hard.