PDA

View Full Version : What's happening to the Slam Dunk Contest?!

Toenail Clipper
11-06-2009, 07:29 PM
To me, it has been boring recently because Dwight Howard and Nate Robinson are constantly entering with mediocre dunks that receive 50 points. You cannot compare these dunks to the dunkers of the 2000 contest (Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter, and Steve Francis). They are losing creativity and the NBA is in need of better dunkers! How is it that Dwight Howard wearing a cape is considered a great dunk?

Ebbs
11-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Agreed man I'd say last 4 or 5 years the dunks have been really lame. Andre Igoudala put up some nice dunks when he was in it 4 years ago? Since then it seems pretty week. LOL dwight is seven feet tall...... People just going nuts when he puts down his avg dunks, I like the one with the sticker hahaha

KG2TB
11-06-2009, 07:47 PM
The one with the sticker was pretty damned impressive. It might be my favorite dunk of his. That one, and the one where he throws it off the side of the backboard and dunks with his left. The 'Superman' dunk was so overhyped.

bctgg27
11-06-2009, 07:48 PM
I believe they are bringing a non NBA player into this years dunk contest. So maybe Howard vs. Lebron vs. _____ vs. Guy Dupuy?

Drew2317
11-06-2009, 07:58 PM
No different, perception altering, groundbreaking dunks since Carter. LeBron doesn't have anything new either, he just jumps higher, which is why he hasn't ever entered. He's afraid it won't be remembered like MJ, VC, Kobe, Nique....

roshan3ai
11-06-2009, 07:59 PM
To me, it has been boring recently because Dwight Howard and Nate Robinson are constantly entering with mediocre dunks that receive 50 points. You cannot compare these dunks to the dunkers of the 2000 contest (Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter, and Steve Francis). They are losing creativity and the NBA is in need of better dunkers! How is it that Dwight Howard wearing a cape is considered a great dunk?

What? :shrug: Didn't LeBron say last dunk contest that he was going to do it this year??

Gators123
11-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Will Bynum should be should be in the dunk contest! He said hes only 5'10

http://www.nba.com/pistons/video/2009/10/26/bynumdunks091026-1100750/index.html :clap:

BluejaysFan08
11-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Its hard to find new dunks these days so now they just youtube the old dunks and try and mix it to there own dunks but they just come out 10x worse.

Tymer
11-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Last good DC was the one with Jrich and Desmond Mason

those two put on a real show
shannon brown should be in this years

FlakeyFool
11-06-2009, 08:10 PM
the "superman" dunk wasn't even a dunk :facepalm:

ugadawgsfan17
11-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Since this has been going on for 20+ years, people are just flat out running out of ideas. There are only so many things the human body can do, even if that body almost doesn't seem human

nipo10847
11-06-2009, 08:18 PM
No different, perception altering, groundbreaking dunks since Carter. LeBron doesn't have anything new either, he just jumps higher, which is why he hasn't ever entered. He's afraid it won't be remembered like MJ, VC, Kobe, Nique....

WTF!!! Kobe never dunks better than Lebron!!!.Get a life b4 u say that...LeBron is the best dunker in the league and probably one of the best power dunkers of all time if not the best.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Get Derozan in there.

Shady66
11-06-2009, 08:22 PM
I would like to see former winners play vs each other.

J rich
VC
Iggy( should have won)
J smooth

Slimsim
11-06-2009, 08:23 PM
they need to make it LBJ vs Melo Vs D wade Vs Nate

Zefflin
11-06-2009, 08:41 PM
WTF!!! Kobe never dunks better than Lebron!!!.Get a life b4 u say that...LeBron is the best dunker in the league and probably one of the best power dunkers of all time if not the best.

That's a matter of opinion sir. Lebron is a beastly power dunker...he throws down left and right towahawk dunks all day...yippey. I'll take Kobe's style, finness and flair dunks mixed with power over Lebron's everyday. Kobe isn't the dunker he once was and he'd still put up a show in the Dunk Contest.

Toenail Clipper
11-06-2009, 08:51 PM

Can LeBron put the ball between his legs and dunk it? Does he have a slam dunk trophy award? no

dodie53
11-06-2009, 08:59 PM
i would like to see LBJ participating in this year's dunk contest

vash9
11-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Vince Carter. He has shown us he can still dunk at the age of 32 with a 1 hand windmill alley-oop.

JRich. He's still a great dunker.

JSmith. Beast.

DWade. I think he could be creative. Insane dunker nonetheless.

If Lebron can do something other than a tomahawk, enter him too.

asandhu23
11-06-2009, 09:27 PM

Kobe has won one slam dunk contest... Kobe 1 LeBron 0

Ethix11
11-06-2009, 09:45 PM
put nate robinson on a trampoline and its a rap

NPH
11-06-2009, 09:46 PM

1st off you always say things that show your a Kobe hater.

And to your post :facepalm:

Maybe you've never heard of Shawn Kemp of Daryll Dawkins.

Or even a prime Shaq......

Wilson
11-06-2009, 09:56 PM
I thought the '08 one was the best in a while.

There's an age limit on the contest at the moment isn't there? I can't remember what age it is, but once you reach it you're not allowed in anymore, which is pretty dumb.

One last thing: Shannon Brown for 2010 dunk contest :clap:

Ebbs
11-06-2009, 10:08 PM
:facepalm:

http://www.nba.com/pistons/video/2009/10/26/bynumdunks091026-1100750/index.html :clap:
No I have had enough of little guys attempting dunks.

:facepalm: You fail as a NBA fan if you think Lebron is a better dunk artist then Kobe.....

Can LeBron put the ball between his legs and dunk it? Does he have a slam dunk trophy award? no

:clap: Lebron fans piss me off they say the dumbest things there like eagles fans in the NFL

Punkindrublic03
11-06-2009, 10:10 PM

YEAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Dunk contest needs a million dollar first prize to da winner with the $1,000,000 at center court during the contest for all the contestants to see. Then they should make the contest open entry. That could bring out some sick competition. VC, Kobe, Lebron, D-wade, Desmond Mason, Dwight, J smooth, Iggy etc... that would be worth watching.

KayNti
11-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Demar Derozan hopefully will be in the Slam Dunk Contest

NJrockPD
11-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Kirk Hinrich needs to show his stuff.

asandhu23
11-06-2009, 10:37 PM

CHOCOLATE THUNDER!!!!!! add Connie Hawkins. 'nique was a power dunker as well. David Thompson

GunFactor187
11-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Jason Richardson needs to get back into the dunk contest.

EaglesJackson10
11-06-2009, 10:47 PM
The Fact that Nate Robinson won it twice is a joke he didn't deserve to win either.

deuces
11-06-2009, 10:57 PM
it's a shame that the dunks are more about props nowadays, like gerald greens birthday cake dunk where he blew out a cupcake, that was not hard it was a regular simple dunk and all he had to do was take a puff, not impressive. Then dwight puttng on a superman cape and because of that getting 50s? please some of his dunks were nice but not worth 50. Also nate robinson was a joke when he won it, last year he didn't even fully jump over dwight, but he was wearing green and looked like a friggin leprichon. The last nice dunker i seen was iggy, even jamario moon when he dunked in his rookie year wasn't to bad, it's just that he wasn't hyped so he didn't get the points

we need new creative dunkers fast because the dunk contest is a joke now

Toenail Clipper
11-06-2009, 11:01 PM
What? :shrug: Didn't LeBron say last dunk contest that he was going to do it this year??

Read my post again. LeBron does not have creativity. All he does are hard tomahawk dunks.

Toenail Clipper
11-06-2009, 11:05 PM
it's a shame that the dunks are more about props nowadays, like gerald greens birthday cake dunk where he blew out a cupcake, that was not hard it was a regular simple dunk and all he had to do was take a puff, not impressive. Then dwight puttng on a superman cape and because of that getting 50s? please some of his dunks were nice but not worth 50. Also nate robinson was a joke when he won it, last year he didn't even fully jump over dwight, but he was wearing green and looked like a friggin leprichon. The last nice dunker i seen was iggy, even jamario moon when he dunked in his rookie year wasn't to bad, it's just that he wasn't hyped so he didn't get the points

Yet who won? Nate freakin' Robinson! sigh*

EaglesJackson10
11-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Yet who won? Nate freakin' Robinson! sigh*

after like 15 attempts on one dunk it was ridiculous he won.

jrodmesche
11-06-2009, 11:38 PM
they need to make it LBJ vs Melo Vs D wade Vs Nate

agreed

dtmagnet
11-06-2009, 11:55 PM
3 guys I'd like to see in the contest, Iguodala Outlaw and DeRozan.

albertc86
11-07-2009, 12:21 AM
You know they're human, right? There's only so much creativity that can be displayed. I think the dunk contest has run its course, though.

dee279
11-07-2009, 12:34 AM
i still like to watch it. all da rest of the saturday shiid is pretty boring compared to the dunk contest.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-07-2009, 12:56 AM

HAHA so failed post

Lebron can do only one dunk

Kobe can do everything

allvalleychamp
11-07-2009, 01:16 AM
Why does everyone forget the ridiculous J-Rich years when he reverse windmilled, reverse through the legs and off the backboard through the legs...to me he rivals vince's 2000

_KB24_
11-07-2009, 01:17 AM
I give a lot of credit to some of these dunks we have seen in the past years. I mean the contest has been on for what 30-40 years? And even till this day more and more dunks are being created. Who would have honestly imagined that we would one day see a dunk while blowing out your birthday candle on your cake....while in MIDAIR!

topdog
11-07-2009, 01:27 AM
Last year's was the worst in years. It seemed so theatrical what with KryptoNate, Dwight and the phone booth.

My favorite recent dunk was Gerald Green's "B-day cake" (though you did have to see the replay to appreciate that) and before that it was Iguodala's off the back of the backboard dunk. That's what I watch for.

Honestly, I don't care if the Dunk Contest discriminates by height, I'm just not interested in short guys having mediocre dunks that I'm supposed to think are awesome just because they're short or Dwight Howard showing off his hops at 7' tall. Give me something original and spectacular!

Also, get new judges. The old guys suck. They're too caught up in how it was back in their day or what they could do. Get some current players or media guys to judge.

allvalleychamp
11-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Dwight dunked on a 12 foot rim! How is that not exciting? Thats better than any dunk Jordan or Nique pulled off

bctgg27
11-07-2009, 02:15 PM

I think the fact that someone of Nate's height can almost jump over a guy who is about 7 feet is pretty impressive.

nstojic
11-07-2009, 02:39 PM

Yo Nipo, i'm happy for you and i'ma let'chu finish but nique was the best power dunker of all time... OF ALL TIME!

faridk89
11-07-2009, 03:10 PM

get a life before you say that....i cant believe i just saw some1 respond to a comment like that...

topdog
11-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Dwight dunked on a 12 foot rim! How is that not exciting? Thats better than any dunk Jordan or Nique pulled off

It's uber forgettable. Just another dunk where Dwight tries to show he has as much athleticism in his 7' body as 6'7" guys do. Cool, yeah, but something I already forgot about.

I want to see some new dunkers too. There are only 4 participants so let's not have the same guys every year.

MackSnackWrap
11-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Demar derozan vs Lebron vs Dwight hopefully that happens this year

nstojic
11-07-2009, 03:15 PM
james white!!!

watch the super slo mo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8yHQ15TdHU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHLJ0T2eOvM&feature=PlayList&p=51287B07F3DA19BE&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=41

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt_iYkLgkPk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfEi_DVzvFU&feature=PlayList&p=51287B07F3DA19BE&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=43

randomness
11-07-2009, 03:23 PM
I wanna see:

Carter + James + DeRozan + White

but what's probably gonna end up happening is..

James + Robinson + DeRozan + ??? (regular person)

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Shannon Brown needs to participate also

FlakeyFool
11-07-2009, 03:45 PM
lebron will win the dunk contest even though DeRozan will probably have better dunks.

Theanswer76
11-07-2009, 03:54 PM

we are trieing to save the nba dunk contest not embarass it.

Zefflin
11-07-2009, 04:18 PM
I'd like to see Lebron, Dwight, Iggy, and Dwade this year. That would actually bring some credibility back.

Zefflin
11-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Put Shannon Brown to replace Dwight. Dwight already has his. Iggy got robbed so he should get another chance.

Ballah0liC1
11-07-2009, 04:50 PM
THIS MAN SHOULD BE IN IT AS THE REGULAR PERSON
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBe1s3GSnaw
make sure u look at the the dunk at 2;18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt001pBcwjM

hes 6'2

SA5195
11-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Just wait...Demar Derozan is coming!

SA5195
11-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Yo Nipo, i'm happy for you and i'ma let'chu finish but nique was the best power dunker of all time... OF ALL TIME!

:clap:

Cubs Win
11-07-2009, 05:03 PM
I'd like to see LeBron, D-Wade, D-Rose, and Andre Iguadolla Dolla Bills yall.

Raph12
11-08-2009, 02:45 AM

The one where Dwight hits the ball against the board with one hand and then dunks with the next was nice. Iggy had some stylish jams as well, but they screwed him and now he won't ever return.

Tmac and Francis were a bit overrated IMHO; Carter was awesome, as was J-Rich.

TheWatcher34
11-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Melo can't dunk for *******

Raph12
11-08-2009, 10:26 PM

FAIL! The best dunker in the league is James White, hands down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA4L-_Wic78

Lebron is a power dunker, but style-wise, Lebron is Top 5 at best.

Toenail Clipper
11-08-2009, 10:28 PM

Where's James White now?

Gators123
11-08-2009, 10:31 PM

I'm Sorry man, but James white is trash compared to this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DQ50JWuVlo

JasonJohnHorn
11-08-2009, 10:54 PM
I agree, the dunks the last couple of years have been getting worse. There are better dunks put on by highschool and college players on youtube. This happens though. There are some talented players that set the bar high, like Jordan and 'Nique, and then guys like Dee Brown and Cedric Cebollis win with average and/or gimic dunks. Around that time they removed the dunk contest and brought it back several years later when some talented athletes like McGrady, Carter, Rider and Bryant came along. Right now there are some solid athletes, but usually as the players get older they skip the contest because they take their careers more seriously and don't want to risk injury over a contest, so the talent pool is limited.

Here's to hoping it gets better this year. Perhaps if players were allowed to use props.