PDA

View Full Version : Luol Deng the Lebron stopper?

D Roses Bulls
11-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Matt Mchale of by the Horns for ESPN called Luol Deng in his Daily Dime chat during the Bulls-Cavs game the lebron stopper. It seems though every time Lebron plays against Deng he doesnt have a Lebron type of game. Ive noticed it before, but someone in the Media actually said it. so what do you think?

link to the chat where he said it.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-091105

JordansBulls
11-06-2009, 12:04 AM
I said it yesterday as well.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11294560&postcount=13

chicago lulz
11-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Regardless, this should have been kept in the Bulls forum, because all it's going to do is make you seem like you seem like you're gloating about the Bulls win, or that you're trying to insult him. Childish argument will then ensue.

1-800-STFU
11-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Sucks he isn't playing like **** this year, I cant call him Poo-Haul Deng.

Nice job Deng :clap:

CZA
11-06-2009, 12:07 AM
Stopper?

25/7/6

Hardly a bad game

D Roses Bulls
11-06-2009, 12:08 AM

yeah ive been saying it for a while, but good call man.

CZA
11-06-2009, 12:08 AM
I mean, I know he wasnt dominant. But he was hardly "stopped."

D Roses Bulls
11-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Regardless, this should have been kept in the Bulls forum, because all it's going to do is make you seem like you seem like you're gloating about the Bulls win, or that you're trying to insult him. Childish argument will then ensue.

if people wanna argue over an opinion then they need to grow up. it is a realistic question. deng has always had success on lebron. also, i wanna know other peoples opinions besides bulls fans

D Roses Bulls
11-06-2009, 12:10 AM

but neither did kobe back in the day with ppatterson, bowen, and such, but he was contained. without deng, lebron could of had 50 tonight.

stawka
11-06-2009, 12:11 AM
LOL @ stopper.

I'd call him the LeBron stopped if he was held to 15/3/3 on 30% shooting, but I don't know if you're being serious or not...

D Roses Bulls
11-06-2009, 12:12 AM
LOL @ stopper.

I'd call him the LeBron stopped if he was held to 15/3/3 on 30% shooting, but I don't know if you're being serious or not...

im just telling you what someone from espn called him

chicago lulz
11-06-2009, 12:15 AM
if people wanna argue over an opinion then they need to grow up. it is a realistic question. deng has always had success on lebron. also, i wanna know other peoples opinions besides bulls fans

All you're doing is adding fuel to the fire, essentially. Still, how exactly the Deng 'stop' Lebron? 25 points on 52% shooting is pretty good no? Anyways, Deng plays defense well, but to call him the Lebron stopper is a bit of a stretch.

Highlight
11-06-2009, 12:16 AM
LOL @ stopper.

No one can stop Lebron that much. No matter how much you love or hate Lebron, we all know that not even the Boston Celtics defense can hold Lebron to those numbers, so at least be realistic.

Regardless of what stawka said, I think the Bulls defense did well against Cleveland as a whole. I'm sure Deng had something to do with Lebron not scoring 30+, but you have to credit the Bulls defense rather than just Deng's.

Sly Guy
11-06-2009, 12:16 AM
still, if the foul was called at the end of the game, no one would be calling him a LeBron stopper. And given a second, third, and 4th look at the play, I think the Bulls got away with one.

Kenny
11-06-2009, 12:18 AM
lol its funny to me when people think guys like Lebron, Kobe, Wade can be stopped by 1 guy.. It cant and wont happen, yes you can have bad shooting nights but nobody can stop these guys.

Highlight
11-06-2009, 12:19 AM
still, if the foul was called at the end of the game, no one would be calling him a LeBron stopper. And given a second, third, and 4th look at the play, I think the Bulls got away with one.

No they did not. That would have been a horrid call. Lebron clearly lost the ball and no player should get a call with such little contact in the end of a basketball game. I don't care if it was Jordan, Magic, Wade, or Kobe, that play was a good no call.

PSD would have at least 5 threads on how horrible the refs were had they made that call.

And don't forget the play before. That ball hit the rim and it should have been Chicago's ball.

CZA
11-06-2009, 12:20 AM

Probably so. But the shot clock violation was a missed call too.

Dont tell me refs dont have make-up calls...

Kyben36
11-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Deng is one of the few players who can slow ( NOT STOP ) Lebron. He is in no way the lebron stoper, maybe we can Lebron Slower.

Highlight
11-06-2009, 12:21 AM
lol its funny to me when people think guys like Lebron, Kobe, Wade can be stopped by 1 guy.. It cant and wont happen, yes you can have bad shooting nights but nobody can stop these guys.

Agreed.

It's even a long shot to say 1 person can contain these guys. It's collective defense that stops superstars like those 3.

CZA
11-06-2009, 12:21 AM
I should clarify...

I dont think it was a foul, but LeBron typically gets that call.

chicago lulz
11-06-2009, 12:22 AM

Eh, I think they made the right call in the end. Even so, they were more so making up for the 24 second shot clock penalty called on the Bulls, when it was pretty clear on the replay that it hit the rim.

Kyben36
11-06-2009, 12:24 AM

Argue as you may, lebron lost the ball B4 noah hit his arms, in fact, Lebron threw his arms into Noah, so either way, its not a foul.

As for calls, did you see the 4 step Lebron travel in the first half. Thats a call worth reviewing. Hinrich slightly fouls him ( no problem with the call ) but then he takes 2 more steps and gets the continuation, WTF.

D Roses Bulls
11-06-2009, 12:27 AM
All you're doing is adding fuel to the fire, essentially. Still, how exactly the Deng 'stop' Lebron? 25 points on 52% shooting is pretty good no? Anyways, Deng plays defense well, but to call him the Lebron stopper is a bit of a stretch.

again.... i didnt call him the lebron stopper. the guy from ESPN did. look at the chat. i just said that luol has success against lebron. better then most people in this league

GunFactor187
11-06-2009, 12:28 AM

lulz @ your sig! HAHA!!!

BTownTeamsRKing
11-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Pierce has stated in the past that Deng gives him trouble.

maybe Deng is just a really good defender that no know one talks about

D Roses Bulls
11-06-2009, 12:32 AM
I should clarify...

I dont think it was a foul, but LeBron typically gets that call.

yeah i was surprised he didnt get the call even though it wasnt a foul. good D by noah.

chicago lulz
11-06-2009, 12:33 AM
again.... i didnt call him the lebron stopper. the guy from ESPN did. look at the chat. i just said that luol has success against lebron. better then most people in this league

I wasn't saying you were calling him that. It was more so in response to the fact that someone called Deng the Lebron stopper. He does well defensively against him. There's no doubt about it. But whoever said that is kind of exaggerating it a bit.

Kyben36
11-06-2009, 12:33 AM

Bulls fans know he is a good defender, I dont know if he is top defender, but he is def above average, Deng is an overlooked player ( while he isnt great, he isnt as bad as some think, especialy for his age )

D Roses Bulls
11-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Bulls fans know he is a good defender, I dont know if he is top defender, but he is def above average, Deng is an overlooked player ( while he isnt great, he isnt as bad as some think, especialy for his age )

his long arms gives defensive players fits

Litchris12
11-06-2009, 12:38 AM
lmao ne didnt do anything special against lebron

clutchski
11-06-2009, 12:39 AM
but neither did kobe back in the day with ppatterson, bowen, and such, but he was contained. without deng, lebron could of had 50 tonight.

Respect to Deng, but looking at what you said..if there wasn't a stopper on almost every team Lebron would be averaging 50 points a game.

D Roses Bulls
11-06-2009, 12:42 AM
Respect to Deng, but looking at what you said..if there wasn't a stopper on almost every team Lebron would be averaging 50 points a game.

the thing i will give deng is out of every team ive seen lebron play, no one plays lebron better then deng. im not calling him a stopper, but he can contain lebron from being lebron.

Statik1
11-06-2009, 12:47 AM
This is sure to ruffle some feathers

JordansBulls
11-06-2009, 12:51 AM

I believe Hinrich gives Pierce and Wade trouble.

D Roses Bulls
11-06-2009, 12:54 AM
I believe Hinrich gives Pierce and Wade trouble.

yeah wade has said hinrich gives him trouble

dodie53
11-06-2009, 01:00 AM
stopper?

JNA17
11-06-2009, 01:06 AM
Not 1 player can stop kobe, lebron or wade. Their are very little players however that can "slow them down". Like Battier on Kobe, and now deng on lebron

Cash
11-06-2009, 01:12 AM
He did a good job against LeBron, but didn't stop him. He gives Paul Pierce nightmares though.

abe_froman
11-06-2009, 01:14 AM
no such thing

but he usually does a nice job against him and pierce

Raph12
11-06-2009, 01:18 AM
Kobe is the Lebron stopper... Deng was solid.

Litchris12
11-06-2009, 01:37 AM
no such thing

but he usually does a nice job against him and pierce

agree with assesment but there is no such thing

championships
11-06-2009, 02:04 AM
Everyone has their tough match ups. Even LeBaby

Kyben36
11-06-2009, 02:07 AM
Kobe is the Lebron stopper... Deng was solid.

realy, you want to go there, I guese if Kobe is the only stoper in the league, then Rose can just break that **** down to the hoop with ease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NiVfG_Wrcw

D breaks him down at least 4 times this game.

I personaly love the one at 2:56, Kobe is all up in his grill and he still breaks him down off the dribble left and gets to the rim. Kobe looks around and says Where my help, Gasol looks over and says, you said you got this. :laugh2:

Im just giving **** dude,

Kyben36
11-06-2009, 02:10 AM
his long arms gives defensive players fits

What does Dengs long arms have to do with giving other defensive players fits, can he just like drible around them eiseir or whaat. :eyebrow:

Just kiding, I know what you mean, his long arms give other players fits. but I think his added strength over the offseason helps as well, so he doest get knocked off the ball so easlily

tbo41fan
11-06-2009, 02:19 AM
agreed with everyone else..there is no such thing as a "Lebron stopper"...Deng just plays good defense

tr4shb0t
11-06-2009, 02:23 AM
Lebron still had a good FG% so at least he played smart. I think he only made 1 jumpshot though. What's crazier is Lebron hasn't committed a foul in 2 games.

zambo4president
11-06-2009, 02:25 AM
Stopper?

25/7/6

Hardly a bad game

86-85 sounds like a stopper to me :up:

Raph12
11-06-2009, 02:47 AM
realy, you want to go there, I guese if Kobe is the only stoper in the league, then Rose can just break that **** down to the hoop with ease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NiVfG_Wrcw

D breaks him down at least 4 times this game.

I personaly love the one at 2:56, Kobe is all up in his grill and he still breaks him down off the dribble left and gets to the rim. Kobe looks around and says Where my help, Gasol looks over and says, you said you got this. :laugh2:

Im just giving **** dude,

Here is Lebron's offensive stat line against the Lakers last season:
14-45(31.1%)FGs 3-13(23.1%)Threes 8-16(50%)FTs 41.0MPG 19.5PPG

Both games in losing efforts, by far his worst offensive performances against any team last season...

Btw Rose just outran Kobe, didn't really "break him"... Rose is arguably the quickest/fastest in the NBA and Kobe is 31... nuff said.

zambo4president
11-06-2009, 03:03 AM

Both games in losing efforts, by far his worst offensive performances against any team last season...

Btw Rose just outran Kobe, didn't really "break him"... Rose is arguably the quickest/fastest in the NBA and Kobe is 31... nuff said.

Kobe can't hang is what your trying to say right ;)?

Raph12
11-06-2009, 03:10 AM
Kobe can't hang is what your trying to say right ;)?

No lol, Kobe just doesn't want to move too quick so that Rose could feel good about himself... we all know Rose is pretty slow lol ;)

D Roses Bulls
11-06-2009, 06:24 AM
No lol, Kobe just doesn't want to move too quick so that Rose could feel good about himself... we all know Rose is pretty slow lol ;)

you surely are one of the smart ones on psd. being series too

Sly Guy
11-06-2009, 11:30 AM
No they did not. That would have been a horrid call. Lebron clearly lost the ball and no player should get a call with such little contact in the end of a basketball game. I don't care if it was Jordan, Magic, Wade, or Kobe, that play was a good no call.

PSD would have at least 5 threads on how horrible the refs were had they made that call.

And don't forget the play before. That ball hit the rim and it should have been Chicago's ball.

Personally I think the call was the right one, but what I'm saying, is that there was contact with his right arm on the body, and since noah wasn't going straight up [he was following him towards the rim], he loses out on the 'law of verticality'. Given the way stars are treated in the NBA, and the notion that if it were any other point during the game, and the contact, this is something that'd normally be called.

I'm not saying it's something I like to see called, it's a weak call no matter what point in the game, but it's a very fortunate call for the bulls.

And the rest of you are right too, it very well could have been a makeup call for that shot clock violation [which with the benefit of replay was an incorrect one], but then again, that shot clock call is a very easily missed one, cuz it was so damned close.

JasonJohnHorn
11-06-2009, 12:21 PM
An LBJ-Stopper? Last night he score 25, handed out 6 assists and grabbed 7 rebounds, while shooting a higher percentage from the floor than his average. Individually he played great last night (anybody who averaged numbers like that would be an All-NBA First Team selection), despite his team's loss and overall sub-par play. Deng got numbers nowhere near what James put up. The only player I've seen slow LBJ down was Tayshuan Prince in the '07 conference finals, but once LBJ had a couple games under his belt agianst Detroit in that series, he went on to dominate, and even the games where he socred fewer points, he still served as a great play maker, grabbed rebounds and played solid defence. Not even Pierce could shut James down in the '08 playoffs (though the Celtics as a team clearly out played the Cavs).

Deng is not a James stopper, but the Bulls as a team played well agains the Cavs.

Players like James and Bryant, have been slowed down by some players, and the player most likely to be able to do that is Tayshaun Prince. In his rookie year, when Detroit was down 3-1 against Orlando and saw McGrady dominating, then coach Rick Carlisle (under the instruction of team president Joe Dumars) gave starting minutes to Prince who promptly shut down McGrady. In the finals against Bryant, Prince's defence again proved stiffling throughout the five game series for Bryant, who'd be playing great in the playoffs up until that point. And Prince was responcible for holding James to ten points in game one on 5-15 shooting, and 19 points on 7-19 shooting in game two. Bruce Bowen has also shown a knack for slowing guys down, as has Artest. But Deng? I just don't see it.

CP3 The Great
11-06-2009, 12:27 PM

Please stop, "the bulls" got away correct?
your not the brightest of the bunch, lebron got away with one also
he clearly traveled in the 2nd and then on top of that they called a foul on
kirk. You have to call the game both ways and the bulls won fair with rough defense, and not even playing as good offense as they can. another proof DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.

clutchski
11-06-2009, 01:09 PM
the thing i will give deng is out of every team ive seen lebron play, no one plays lebron better then deng. im not calling him a stopper, but he can contain lebron from being lebron.

True, and in the end that's all you really need. Contain players like Lebron and CP3 and your team has a much higher chance to win the game.

My Raps play the Hornets tonight, and if Calderon could just contain
Chris Paul we have a good chance of winning. Fat chance though. :eyebrow:

ILLN355
11-06-2009, 01:32 PM
You guys need to get off Deng's dick, damn.

mjt20mik
11-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Great players can not be stopped. They can only be slowed down.

Jay22Redd
11-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Stopper?

25/7/6

Hardly a bad game

Great point! :clap:

kozelkid
11-06-2009, 02:25 PM

2 games, terrific sample size. :rolleyes:
Kobe is one of the more overrated defenders in the league. He can play great, but has gotten lazy at that end at times.
As for this thread, this is coming from a Bulls fan, no Deng isn't a "Lebron stopper". He's a very underrated defender though, and is certainly above average. Funny how people forget that Lebron had a triple double all 4 games against the bulls last season and scored over 30 in all of them iirc.

Raph12
11-06-2009, 02:44 PM
2 games, terrific sample size. :rolleyes:
Kobe is one of the more overrated defenders in the league. He can play great, but has gotten lazy at that end at times.
As for this thread, this is coming from a Bulls fan, no Deng isn't a "Lebron stopper". He's a very underrated defender though, and is certainly above average. Funny how people forget that Lebron had a triple double all 4 games against the bulls last season and scored over 30 in all of them iirc.

No, Lebron is one of the more overrated defenders in the league. He can play great, but is always lazy until the end of the game.

Kobe is a great defender and the only guy who stopped Lebron last season, maybe a small sample size, but it's recent and true. No one can actually stop Lebron in a 7-game series anymore, but Kobe is the best at making his life difficult.

Pierzynski4Prez
11-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Lebron still had a good FG% so at least he played smart. I think he only made 1 jumpshot though. What's crazier is Lebron hasn't committed a foul in 2 games.

Exactly. Tim Donaghy said it best about the superstar treatment in this league.

chisox..YES!
11-06-2009, 03:06 PM
I think it's a strech to say Deng "stopped" Lebron last night. Lebron still had a good game.

Chronz
11-06-2009, 03:13 PM

Yet you somehow also voted Gay as a better player even though their statistics are comparable yet Deng was an infinitely better defender.

SchyGuy11
11-06-2009, 03:28 PM
i don't know if i'd necessarily call him a "stopper," but i do see where you are coming from. Deng has had more success against Lebron than most people. Maybe Lebron "container" is a better word.

kozelkid
11-06-2009, 03:36 PM
No, Lebron is one of the more overrated defenders in the league. He can play great, but is always lazy until the end of the game.

Kobe is a great defender and the only guy who stopped Lebron last season, maybe a small sample size, but it's recent and true. No one can actually stop Lebron in a 7-game series anymore, but Kobe is the best at making his life difficult.

Both are lazy. That's generally how superstars are.
It's a small sample size, simple as that. And I can think of a few defenders who are better at stopping Lebron than Kobe. Starting with a player who happens to be on kobe's team.

JordansBulls
11-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Yet you somehow also voted Gay as a better player even though their statistics are comparable yet Deng was an infinitely better defender.

You and I have disagreed a lot lately on many things. I think it started this last summer for some reason.

Ray_R
11-06-2009, 03:44 PM
I think it's a strech to say Deng "stopped" Lebron last night. Lebron still had a good game.

yea i agree it should be like "Tamer" he still gonna get his point its just how many is he gonna get?

Ace33Bone
11-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Stopper? no not at all i mean LBJ still had 25... I mean just because LBJ did not give them 50 doesnt mean that the other player necessarily stopped him... and he ended the game with 25-7-6... so what about we put an end to all this madness and clarify a few things there should never be a stopper associated with Kobe, LeBron, Melo, or DWade they have people in the game that can make it harder on them but no1 in the game can stop any of these players

king4day
11-06-2009, 04:22 PM

agreed

Chronz
11-06-2009, 04:33 PM
You and I have disagreed a lot lately on many things. I think it started this last summer for some reason.

Your the most opinionated person on here, its only a matter of time before we disagree on a great deal of them.

Dont take it personal bro, we agree on alot of things too, I just dont post about it when we do.

KayNti
11-06-2009, 04:40 PM
The Cavs watch Lebron too much; He shoulda had 15 assists that game; he drew in the D and kicked the ball out... CAN SOMEONE ELSE SCORE PLEASE? LOL

D Roses Bulls
11-06-2009, 05:26 PM

ive noticed it too. are you guys like step brothers and one received better treatment from mom and pops? :)

MrFastBreak
11-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Deng is a great defender, don't get me wrong. But the only thing he stopped is that layup Bron was about to go up with in the last play of the game, but he got help from Noah. He might of slowed him down a bit, but with 25/6/7, he wasnt stopped. Deng's defense prolly had something to do with Bron struggling with his jumper. But he didnt stop him from getting 25 points, 6 assists, and 7 rebounds. I don't think anybody could do that.

GodsSon
11-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Not sure how you can call him the Lebron stopper...Lebron had 25, 7, 6, 1, 1 while shooting over 50% from the field...thats a damn good statline

D Roses Bulls
11-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Deng is a great defender, don't get me wrong. But the only thing he stopped is that layup Bron was about to go up with in the last play of the game, but he got help from Noah. He might of slowed him down a bit, but with 25/6/7, he wasnt stopped. Deng's defense prolly had something to do with Bron struggling with his jumper. But he didnt stop him from getting 25 points, 6 assists, and 7 rebounds. I don't think anybody could do that.

i think in general you cant stop a great player from scoring. you can only slow them down. there was never anyone who could stop jordan, kobe, and wade. just slow them down, but they are still called stoppers for some reason.

Kenny
11-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Lebron was in pass mode last night because he will try to go for 50 tongith at the garden

MrFastBreak
11-06-2009, 06:01 PM
i think in general you cant stop a great player from scoring. you can only slow them down. there was never anyone who could stop jordan, kobe, and wade. just slow them down, but they are still called stoppers for some reason.

I coulda swore I just said that in my post. Can you read? I was just playin. But srsly, I agree man. And I wanna give your team's defense credit, they really stopped Bron from getting that layup in that last play, it totally was a deserving win. But you Bulls fans don't need to boast about it. :)

Cubs Win
11-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Lebron was in pass mode last night because he will try to go for 50 tongith at the garden

He doesn't save points for certain nights which you seem to be implying. While it is quite possible he goes for 50 against the Knicks (because they play D'Antoni style), he was probably passing more because Luol Deng and strong team D from the Bulls forced him to realize he couldn't get his shot off as cleanly and consistently as he can most nights.

Chronz
11-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Guys, your taking the term stopper too literally, when a team gos out and signs a stopper, they do so knowing he wont completely literally shut down the scorer. Over the course of the 5000 possessions or so that he partakes in defensively in a season he will help your teams defensive efficiency.

Taking that into account I dont think Deng is full blown stopper status, atleast not based on his entire body of work, but if there was a stage for him to get there now would right about be the time for it to happen so who knows. Ive always liked his defense, Skiles taught him well, the foundation he built is flourishing now, I see similar qualities in Mbah-Moute

xmoney328
11-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Good team D... Same thing what Paul P and The Celtics Does to him force him to their bigs.

D Roses Bulls
11-06-2009, 06:54 PM
I coulda swore I just said that in my post. Can you read? I was just playin. But srsly, I agree man. And I wanna give your team's defense credit, they really stopped Bron from getting that layup in that last play, it totally was a deserving win. But you Bulls fans don't need to boast about it. :)

did you read my original post? can you read? lol.... im kiddin as well, but no ones bolstering the team. some writer from espn was. thats what made me think of the topic to see what others thought outside of bulls fans.

mikantsass
11-06-2009, 07:11 PM
GO BULLS!!!!!!!!! Congrats! You beat the most overrated team in the league. Bulls are going all the way!!! Rose is God!!!! Noah is the best Center to ever play!!! Hinrich is 6th man of the year!!!! Ty Thomas is a stud!!! Deng is better than LeBron, Kobe, Melo, J Johnson, Pierce, and every other great wing player put together!!! Vinny Del Negro is waaayyyyyy better than Phil Jackson and Red Auerbach!

Toenail Clipper
11-06-2009, 07:16 PM
GO BULLS!!!!!!!!! Congrats! You beat the most overrated team in the league. Bulls are going all the way!!! Rose is God!!!! Noah is the best Center to ever play!!! Hinrich is 6th man of the year!!!! Ty Thomas is a stud!!! Deng is better than LeBron, Kobe, Melo, J Johnson, Pierce, and every other great wing player put together!!! Vinny Del Negro is waaayyyyyy better than Phil Jackson and Red Auerbach!

lmao. such a jerk!
hahahaha

K1NG
11-06-2009, 07:29 PM
i dont think kobe would agree,dat nigguh is stubborn as hell

Stunner
11-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Thought is was time to bumb this thread up again. Is Deng the most underrated defender in the NBA he jus held Melo to 20 points.

kozelkid
11-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Always knew Deng is a good defender. Very underrated. Doesn't have the best lateral speed, but is smart and very lengthy.

Raph12
11-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Both are lazy. That's generally how superstars are.
It's a small sample size, simple as that. And I can think of a few defenders who are better at stopping Lebron than Kobe. Starting with a player who happens to be on kobe's team.

Artest hardly stops Lebron, in fact I watched both games they played against one another last season and Lebron was guarded by Battier for most of the game, not Artest.

Kobe did a better job of making Lebron struggle than anyone I've ever seen, since the 2007 NBA Finals that is.

Badluck33
11-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Stopped? DEFINITELY NOT.

Slowed down....? maybe.

DaBUU
11-11-2009, 03:26 PM

When it comes to Lebron, him not dominating is being stopped. And a lot of his points came late in the game when he started chuckin up shots and going to the foul line. To back up this argument, Loul kept another high scoring SF down last night, Mello didnt do much damage either yesterday (we were robbed). Deng is a very underated defensive player in this league.

kozelkid
11-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Artest hardly stops Lebron, in fact I watched both games they played against one another last season and Lebron was guarded by Battier for most of the game, not Artest.

Kobe did a better job of making Lebron struggle than anyone I've ever seen, since the 2007 NBA Finals that is.

He was guarded by Battier since Artest was the main offensive weapon on that team and they didn't want to tire him out. He has a different role on the Lakers. Again 2 games is a small sample size. And as a perimeter defender, I'll take Artest over kobe anyday.

Raph12
11-11-2009, 03:58 PM
He was guarded by Battier since Artest was the main offensive weapon on that team and they didn't want to tire him out. He has a different role on the Lakers. Again 2 games is a small sample size. And as a perimeter defender, I'll take Artest over kobe anyday.

Artest is not the same defender he once was, he isn't even a shadow of the guy that won the DPOY award back in the 2003-04 season. Now since they play on the same team, I'd get Artest to guard Lebron, but if Kobe wasn't Kobe on offense, then I'd want him to guard Lebron. Putting Artest on the best offensive wing on the opposing team, let's Kobe save his energy so he could dominate on offense. But if Kobe and Artest were both role players, at this point in their careers, I'd take Kobe over Artest to guard the opposing team's best wing player.

Raph12
11-11-2009, 04:04 PM

I wouldn't, not at this point in their careers anyways.

Artest is a shell of the player he was in the 2003-04 season, he is nowhere near as good on that end anymore.

Since they are on the same team, I'd rather give Artest the more difficult defensive assignment so Kobe could focus more on offense.

The 2009 Kobe is better than the 2009 Artest defensively IMO.

king9er
11-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Artest's defense > Bryants defense.

I haven't followed him since he went to the knicks but I know that jared jeffries, when he was on the wiz, also did a great job on lebron even in the playoffs.

kozelkid
11-11-2009, 04:36 PM
I guess we agree to disagree.