PDA

View Full Version : Could Nancy Lieberman Become the NBA's First Female Head Coach?

DenButsu
11-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Could Nancy Lieberman Become the NBA's First Female Head Coach?

The D-League today. The NBA tomorrow.

Why not?

If there ever will be a female NBA head coach in my lifetime, I'm thinking Nancy Lieberman has got a shot. Lieberman took the first step toward that Thursday when she was named head coach of the Dallas Mavericks' D-League team in Frisco, Texas, that will begin play next season.

"If I am successful, I'm sure that I will be looked at (by the NBA),'' Lieberman, while on her way to her press conference to be introduced, told FanHouse by phone. "If I'm not successful, I won't be.''

Lieberman, the first woman ever to be a head coach in the D-League, is thinking primarily about that stint now. But she doesn't deny an eventual goal is to be the first woman to coach an NBA team.

"I'm aspiring to be the best ...fanhouse (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/11/05/could-nancy-lieberman-become-the-nbas-first-female-head-coach/)

ZebraCity916
11-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Interesting.....

It could happen. Anything is possible.

But I wonder if the players would respect her?? Coaches have to have their players respect.

Vinny642
11-05-2009, 10:17 PM
I hope so

Shady66
11-05-2009, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=/QUOTE]

:facepalm:

avsman05
11-05-2009, 10:28 PM
that is awesome hope she does well.

clutchski
11-05-2009, 10:30 PM
I hope so, sounds funny but I've never even considered it :confused:

daleja424
11-05-2009, 10:31 PM
interesting...Im not against it

Wilson
11-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Interesting.....

But I wonder if the players would respect her?? Coaches have to have their players respect.

I wouldn't have thought respect would be a question. These are grown men in the NBA, and if she knows her basketball players would respect her I think.

Good luck to her. Perhaps if the Lakers sign her as an assistant, we'll finally have a coach who can relate to Sasha Vujacic...:p

Jacob K.
11-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Interesting.....

if she knows her basketball and is running good schemes they will, but i think it would need to be a verteran team

GoatMilk
11-05-2009, 10:39 PM
^respect does matter

I heard Eric Mussleman on radio today.
he said that Ron Artest was hard on him in Sacramento because he was a young coach with not enough wins, etc.

he said thats why Artest respected Addleman and has so far, Phil Jackson

i know he's not the only one

Ragun
11-05-2009, 10:54 PM
congrats to her. hope she does well and reaches her dream.

_KB24_
11-05-2009, 11:07 PM
I hope she can ACTUALLY coach and this isn't some big publicity stunt. However, I don't think women belong in the NBA, they have their own WNBA for that, and I know I may seem harsh, but I would strongly oppose this.

Young and Stupid
11-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Hate to be sexist, but it would never work. Period point blank.

Dol-Fan
11-05-2009, 11:31 PM
I hope she can ACTUALLY coach and this isn't some big publicity stunt. However, I don't think women belong in the NBA, they have their own WNBA for that, and I know I may seem harsh, but I would strongly oppose this.

I agree. On surface this looks like a good idea, but there's a certain 'atmosphere' in the locker rooms and such that I don't know a female coach would be able to replicate. I don't know, when I played sports in high school I wouldn't have been as comfortable having a female coach. I could see an assistant, because she would be relied upon heavily for schemes and systems, but as the lead motivator I'm just not sure.

DenButsu
11-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Hate to be sexist, but it would never work. Period point blank.

Well, whether you're sexist or not, we'll soon get a chance to see if it works in reality in the D-League. And if it works there, there's no reason it couldn't work in the NBA.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-05-2009, 11:40 PM
I wouldn't mind.

She isn't going to get the respect from Iverson or Randolph type of players though.

_KB24_
11-05-2009, 11:44 PM
I agree. On surface this looks like a good idea, but there's a certain 'atmosphere' in the locker rooms and such that I don't know a female coach would be able to replicate. I don't know, when I played sports in high school I wouldn't have been as comfortable having a female coach. I could see an assistant, because she would be relied upon heavily for schemes and systems, but as the lead motivator I'm just not sure.

Right on bro. I know for my own high school experience that our pre-game prep talk in our lockers really pumped me up. Our coach was really good at pumping us and getting us in "game mode". I don't know how a women would look like banging lockers and clinching fists. But I have no problem with the whole assistant role. If it is basketball related, I'm all in.

SA5195
11-05-2009, 11:47 PM
That would be cool, good luck to her.

Wilson
11-05-2009, 11:47 PM
Right on bro. I know for my own high school experience that our pre-game prep talk in our lockers really pumped me up. Our coach was really good at pumping us and getting us in "game mode". I don't know how a women would look like banging lockers and clinching fists. But I have no problem with the whole assistant role. If it is basketball related, I'm all in.

That's not what makes a coach good though. How often does Phil Jackson do stuff like that?

There are many ways to communicate with your team and get them motivated, and I think you can be a succesful coach just by knowing the game and being able to teach it well.

td0tsfinest
11-06-2009, 12:03 AM
there was already a female head coach in the nba, they even made a movie about her with Whoopi Goldberg playing the lead role :p

BroSweets
11-06-2009, 12:06 AM
I hope she can get through, always gotta pull for ODU alum.

_KB24_
11-06-2009, 12:06 AM
That's not what makes a coach good though. How often does Phil Jackson do stuff like that?

There are many ways to communicate with your team and get them motivated, and I think you can be a succesful coach just by knowing the game and being able to teach it well.

True. Can't argue there. But I still can't picture a woman getting the job done. I don't even the great Pat Summit would have any success in the NBA.

Sly Guy
11-06-2009, 12:14 AM
[QUOTE=/QUOTE]

:facepalm:

nice, glad someone got to read it before it was deleted. haha

Wilson
11-06-2009, 12:19 AM
True. Can't argue there. But I still can't picture a woman getting the job done. I don't even the great Pat Summit would have any success in the NBA.

Well we'll likely find out soon like DenButsu said.

I don't see why it wouldn't work though. As long as the coach in question can communicate with her players, has a solid gameplan and is mentally tough there's no reason she couldn't succeed.

I mean, women have risen to very high positions in management in extremely competitive business situations, which puts into practice very similar skills I mentioned above.

GunFactor187
11-06-2009, 12:32 AM
If there was a female head coach in the NBA, I'd go for either Pat Summitt or C. Vivian Stringer. I don't know what Lieberman's coaching style is at ALL.

Litchris12
11-06-2009, 12:46 AM
I actually wouldnt mind her being a head coach one day in the nba

chicago lulz
11-06-2009, 12:48 AM
If Whoopi Goldberg can do it, she can as well.

still1ballin
11-06-2009, 12:48 AM
I hope not, she is annoying

LAKERS 24/7
11-06-2009, 01:34 AM
If Whoopi Goldberg can do it, she can as well.

your sig is hilarious. as a laker fan, i can't beleive i have't seen that before

Raph12
11-06-2009, 01:36 AM
Coach-players chat in the lockeroom maybe a bit different then lol.

Wilson
11-06-2009, 01:36 AM
your sig is hilarious. as a laker fan, i can't beleive i have't seen that before

It cracks me up all the time as well :laugh2: