PDA

View Full Version : Allen Iverson "Nobody ever said anything about rebuilding."

JordansBulls
11-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Source: Commercialappeal (http://blogs.commercialappeal.com/the_memphis_edge/2009/11/iverson-doesnt-want-to-be-a-reserve-or-distraction.html)

Q. Did Griz brass tell you the franchise was rebuilding?

Iverson: No. Nobody ever said anything about rebuilding. You know I wouldn't have come to a team, at 34 years old, that was in a rebuilding process. I'm trying to win a championship. I thought I would have won a championship by now. I didn't come here for no money. I didn't come here for another scoring title or an All-Star game. I've done all that stuff. I want to win. If we are not trying to win, I have a problem. I'm assuming we are trying to win."

He thinks they were contenders?

Maybe with Pau Gasol around still they would have been.

clutchski
11-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Well almost everyone says they're in it to win a championship, so I don't think Iverson believes they have a legitimate shot of winning one. Although he could be serious as his career is slowly expiring. Either way, he's in a bad spot right now.

I don't understand why they signed him if they were going to limit his minutes; they should obviously have known his personality beforehand...

*Superman*
11-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Wow, what a ******.

b_rad23
11-05-2009, 06:33 PM
What the hell are they doing really?

They're not rebuilding obviously since they brought in Z-Bo and AI. They're not contending....

This is exhibit a on how not to run a team.

bleedprple&gold
11-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Is Iverson really that dumb? He thought they would have a chance at a championship? :laugh:

sp1derm00
11-05-2009, 06:51 PM
OJ and Marc Gasol are pretty good, AI makes the team better. Zach Randolph can ball, but not well enough for his level of retardation.

It's not hard to assume that AI came into the team thinking they could possibly contend one day with further development from OJ and Gasol.

Looking at their production this year:

OJ is putting up 20/3/5
Marc is putting up like 17/12 on 60% shooting
Randolph is putting up 20/10(almost) on 56% shooting

Add AI into the mix and you've got what on paper, looks like a good team. The team would look like a beast of a contender a few years back.

I don't think he's completely ********, but at the same time, his statement and the current talent level of actual contenders makes his statement a little bit ********.

conway429
11-05-2009, 07:01 PM
^ Yeah, I was gonna say there team is kinda nice, on paper at least.
There's Iverson, then Mayo's sick, Gasol's been really good, and Randolph will put up big numbers.
Add that to Rudy Gay, and that's a decent starting 5. And they've got Mike Conley off the bench, with Thabeet, and Sam Young, and Jaric. (bonus points for having a smoking hot wife).

conway429
11-05-2009, 07:04 PM

Toenail Clipper
11-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Then he should have went to an elite team like the Spurs, Magic, Lakers, or Celtics?

Sportfan
11-05-2009, 07:28 PM
OJ and Marc Gasol are pretty good, AI makes the team better. Zach Randolph can ball, but not well enough for his level of retardation.

It's not hard to assume that AI came into the team thinking they could possibly contend one day with further development from OJ and Gasol.

Looking at their production this year:

OJ is putting up 20/3/5
Marc is putting up like 17/12 on 60% shooting
Randolph is putting up 20/10(almost) on 56% shooting

Add AI into the mix and you've got what on paper, looks like a good team. The team would look like a beast of a contender a few years back.

I don't think he's completely ********, but at the same time, his statement and the current talent level of actual contenders makes his statement a little bit ********.
You're forgetting last year's leading scorer; Rudy Gay

NiTEFuRY
11-05-2009, 07:38 PM
I look forward to hearing more of this nonsense throughout the year until he gets cut or traded because he is "not a bench player."

He is nothing but a cancer and its unfortunate people only blamed last year on the management of the pistons. He will set the grizzlies further back - than forward.

I would keep your young all-stars away from him and his attitude as they will be around for much longer than this year..

kntresistheheat
11-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Maybe when he saw Gasol on paper he thought it was Paul????:D

marvILLous
11-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Maybe when he saw Gasol on paper he thought it was Paul????:D

i don't think so.. unless pau and marc have another brother named paul who also plays on the grizzlies?

braveniler58
11-05-2009, 08:11 PM
:pity:

Just retire, Allen.

JWO35
11-05-2009, 08:16 PM
November Fools?

DenButsu
11-05-2009, 08:17 PM

Just retire, Allen.

It's sad to say, but if he's going to take this kind of attitude with him to every team he joins, I think he may not have a very lengthy final chapter of his career.

He almost seems to be Latrell Sprewelling himself at this point.

dodie53
11-05-2009, 08:38 PM
AI is weird

bleedprple&gold
11-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Then he should have went to an elite team like the Spurs, Magic, Lakers, or Celtics?

Yea if he is going to come off the bench, why not come off the bench for a good team? He is wasting whats left of his career, coming off the bench for a mediocre team. He must have went there thinking he was gonna be the starter, when in reality he should have known there was no guarantee of that. If he doesn't want to swallow his pride and accept a lesser role, then he can keep playing for losers and never get his ring...

When he first signed with Memphis, I thought it was very puzzling he would choose to go there. Then I figured, he must be trying to prove to other teams that he can put his ego aside and not be a distraction, so that a good team will take a chance on him next season. Well, I'm now convinced that is clearly not the case...

HiphopRelated
11-05-2009, 09:04 PM
last year in the league

The market on a 35 yr old 6 foot sg was already limited. Why bring drama?

ink
11-05-2009, 11:51 PM
That's pretty funny. A Michael Heisley-owned team a contender? Wow. How did AI convince himself that this team was within a generation of a championship?? No offense Grizz fans, but this is the same ownership and the same franchise that failed in Vancouver so I have no clue how Iverson thought he was going to a contender. Unbelievable.

SA5195
11-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Just sad, really really sad, doesn't he know that Memphis is not a contender? Doesn't he check the players on a team before going there?

WTH is wrong with him. If you wanna win a championship, you have to be a team player and accept a certain role.

AI's not getting a ring with this atitude.

Chronz
11-06-2009, 12:05 AM
This confirms it, AI is as dumb as his worshipers. What the **** did he think a constantly floundering franchise that has to keep a close eye on salary restrictions has been doing all these years? Cmon AI, of course they were rebuilding and your suppose to help speed that up? I dont see it

Litchris12
11-06-2009, 12:50 AM

Just retire, Allen.

me and you both. allen iverson u suck

ko8e24
11-06-2009, 01:02 AM
bye bye allen iverson.

Raph12
11-06-2009, 01:31 AM
I think he means that he believes they are still trying to win... either way, pretty sure even Iverson believes that he can't win the title in Memphis.

championships
11-06-2009, 01:56 AM
i don't think so.. unless pau and marc have another brother named paul who also plays on the grizzlies?

LOL....... I wonder why so many people call Pau Paul

blastmasta26
11-06-2009, 01:56 AM
I thought this was the season where AI would redeem himself after what happened in Detroit. Guess not.

bballfan12
11-06-2009, 02:21 AM
I feel that the majority of the users on this board simply read a thread, figure out the general consensus of the users, and then jump along and agree with everyone. Are you guys serious, Iverson should obviously be starting for that team. The guy can still ball, he put up 18 points and 7 assists tonight in limited minutes, put him out there with starter minutes and the guy will be putting up at least 22 and 6. With him mayo gay randolph and gasol this team can make the playoffs. Keep him on the bench and not only will you continue losing but you'll also have to deal with a constant headache from Iverson. This seems like a complete no brainer, start Iverson or give him his money and waive him.

The_Mac22
11-06-2009, 02:29 AM
He'll get traded to the Cavs.

DenButsu
11-06-2009, 02:31 AM
I feel that the majority of the users on this board simply read a thread, figure out the general consensus of the users, and then jump along and agree with everyone. Are you guys serious, Iverson should obviously be starting for that team. The guy can still ball, he put up 18 points and 7 assists tonight in limited minutes, put him out there with starter minutes and the guy will be putting up at least 22 and 6. With him mayo gay randolph and gasol this team can make the playoffs. Keep him on the bench and not only will you continue losing but you'll also have to deal with a constant headache from Iverson. This seems like a complete no brainer, start Iverson or give him his money and waive him.

AI and Mayo have the same agent. And as this TrueHoop writeup indicates (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/10326/is-allen-iverson-just-now-learning-his-role), it appears highly unlikely that AI was not informed he'd probably be coming off the bench before he even signed the contract:

Many thanks to TrueHoop reader Tyler for remembering what the Commercial Appeal's Ronald Tillery wrote on July 13 (http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jul/13/heisley-sees-memphis-grizzlies-last-resort-allen-i/):

Heisley reiterated that Iverson must come off the bench for the Griz. Interestingly enough, Iverson and Griz shooting guard O.J. Mayo share the same agent.

“Allen is motivated to have a great year,” Heisley said. “He would be a real factor for us. But if he comes to us he’d have to understand that he would be playing on the second team. We need him to really add scoring punch to that group.”"

Who knows what was promised to Iverson in private, but for the record that was in the newspaper a couple of months before Iverson decided to sign with the Grizzlies.

Hustla23
11-06-2009, 02:33 AM
LMAO

This whole Iverson debacle just gets better and better.

It's like a bad soap opera.

:laugh:

MegaFauna
11-06-2009, 02:49 AM
i'm with Iverson on this one. I think that you need to put your best talent on the floor to start the season. Every team should at least begin the season trying to compete. If they play half the season and are out of the playoff race, then start Conley to develop him.

Raph12
11-06-2009, 02:57 AM
Iverson has played pretty well so far and as long as he gets around 30mpg, I think he is in good shape to win SMOY, as long as he doesn't go crazy first.

Raidaz4Life
11-06-2009, 03:16 AM
Just when I thought AI couldn't be any dumber

Team*Chicago
11-06-2009, 03:20 AM
I already don't like Allen Iverson I'll admit that but the reason that nobody told him about rebuilding the team is that he wont come to practice.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-06-2009, 03:33 AM
Who would tha cavs trade 4 him tho???

PLAYERS FAN
11-06-2009, 03:35 AM
This confirms it, AI is as dumb as his worshipers. What the **** did he think a constantly floundering franchise that has to keep a close eye on salary restrictions has been doing all these years? Cmon AI, of course they were rebuilding and your suppose to help speed that up? I dont see it

You always crack me up with your post's comments on Allen Iverson :laugh:

xabial
11-06-2009, 04:24 AM
I have a feeling he will be JustinTV's Next Star

WadeCounty
11-06-2009, 04:49 AM
thats a total b.s statement, didnt he once say when he was a free agent "i'm just looking for a happy situation where I can settle in until I retire" well more or less of what he said and then chose Memphis

NZ_Lakers!
11-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Who cares? AI was done as soon as he left philly. Grizzlies on the other hand are a pretty handy team on paper, gotta love their core of Rudy, OJ and Gasol, shame there management has no interest in winning a championship.

caseyv415
11-06-2009, 08:11 AM
AI is delusional and should retire.. He couldn't find a team to start on! Griz was his only shot cause every other team simply wanted him as a backup PG
his days as a SG are long gone.. WoW
This guy and his Ego never cease to amaze

Tom81
11-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Is Iverson really that dumb? He thought they would have a chance at a championship? :laugh:

yeah

FarOutIos
11-06-2009, 08:35 AM
I'm not a Griz fan, but I gotta say that everyone is jumping to conclusions a little too soon with this team. The season has barely begun and the team hasn't had time to gel. Now, I don't think AI thought that he was going to an elite team, but the Griz can compete.

I don't see any reason for them not being able to make the playoffs. Depending on Thabeet's progression, they could also become a tough matchup in the playoffs.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-06-2009, 08:36 AM
I have a feeling he will be JustinTV's Next Star

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hellcrooner
11-06-2009, 10:03 AM
thet hting here is Memphis now has too many SCORERS Iverson, Mayo, Gay, Randoph and Gasol and almost NO defenders ( marc is the only that actually tries)

also Mayo, Gay, Iverson and Randolph are preety gredy and hog the ball too much and take bad shots instead of lookign for the open man so they blow good scoring options with bad decisions.

that is what is holding them back, because in paper they shoudl ahve a shot at a low seed.

BUT

Gay has not resigned.

if they somehow could Turn AI and Gay into a trade for a good DEFENSIVE minded SF in order only Mayo, Marc and Zach , in that order are the scorers they could still have that 8th seed shot.

tcav701
11-06-2009, 10:16 AM
thet hting here is Memphis now has too many SCORERS Iverson, Mayo, Gay, Randoph and Gasol and almost NO defenders ( marc is the only that actually tries)

also Mayo, Gay, Iverson and Randolph are preety gredy and hog the ball too much and take bad shots instead of lookign for the open man so they blow good scoring options with bad decisions.

that is what is holding them back, because in paper they shoudl ahve a shot at a low seed.

BUT

Gay has not resigned.

if they somehow could Turn AI and Gay into a trade for a good DEFENSIVE minded SF in order only Mayo, Marc and Zach , in that order are the scorers they could still have that 8th seed shot.

Good point. If Gay is leaving, why not start AI. Playing Gay is only gonna cause Memphis to match an overpayed offer.

Hellcrooner
11-06-2009, 10:23 AM
^ mayo is too short to play sf

tcav701
11-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Yea just noticed that.....they arent winning anything tho so who cares haha

todu82
11-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Iverson thought the Grizzlies where contenders? :facepalm:

I've always liked Iverson the player but if he thought the Grizzlies where contenders this year then he was wrong.

Raph12
11-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Poor guy, he thought the Grizz were title contenders?... he must have went to Derrick Rose's school.

Just playing, don't get your panties wet ladies lol.

mjt20mik
11-06-2009, 12:37 PM
iverson thought the grizzlies where contenders? :facepalm:

I've always liked iverson the player but if he thought the grizzlies where contenders this year then he was wrong.

+1

Team*Chicago
11-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Poor guy, he thought the Grizz were title contenders?... he must have went to Derrick Rose's school.

Just playing, don't get your panties wet ladies lol.

:laugh2:That was funny as hell.

Pierzynski4Prez
11-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Iverson is officially the biggest moron in the NBA. You don't go to a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 5 years and think you're going to win a title there. He could have signed on with so many other playoff teams for minimum money if money wasn't an issue.

Yes Grizzlies will be good, but in a few years. Not yet. They are light years away from the Lakers, Spurs, Nuggets, C's, magic, Cavs.

JordansBulls
11-06-2009, 01:20 PM
I just can't believe no one in the league wanted to pick him up.

Jay22Redd
11-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Source: Commercialappeal (http://blogs.commercialappeal.com/the_memphis_edge/2009/11/iverson-doesnt-want-to-be-a-reserve-or-distraction.html)

He thinks they were contenders?

Maybe with Pau Gasol around still they would have been.

:laugh2:

DenButsu
11-06-2009, 08:17 PM
I just can't believe no one in the league wanted to pick him up.

Well, if he wanted to prove that they were wrong, he's doing a pretty poor job of it so far.

The CrucifiXioN
11-06-2009, 08:31 PM
I don't understand why AI wouldn't know Memphis' situation before he even chose to negotiate with them. Surely you can't think they're ready to compete just yet.

RaptorizedKevin
11-06-2009, 08:39 PM
my advice for iverson. get new york to sign yu for the vets minumum. team up with lebron and even mlore free agents, and yu'll win a championship LOL

smith&wesson
11-06-2009, 08:47 PM
I think now that iverson is signed and to a small deal he can very well be traded by trade deadline. his contract is a bargain.

Becks2307
11-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Iverson should have come to NY he would have lead the league in scoring

Ebbs
11-06-2009, 10:37 PM
:facepalm: Thats just shameful........ I dont think he is actually that stupid. I think this just about him sitting on the bench again.

mzgrizz
11-07-2009, 01:09 AM
For a "recruit", you are pretty damn smart.
IMO, he will be the starter by Nov 10

mzgrizz
11-07-2009, 01:12 AM
i'm with Iverson on this one. I think that you need to put your best talent on the floor to start the season. Every team should at least begin the season trying to compete. If they play half the season and are out of the playoff race, then start Conley to develop him.

Another voice of reason!

mzgrizz
11-07-2009, 01:23 AM

BUT

Gay has not resigned.

We need a defender...period.....but not at the expense of giving up AI . Crap, he's only been back playing 5 days...it just amazes me how basketball fans can't see that he is being worked into the rotation very quickly! AI is obviously a vocal person, and I am glad he speaks up. He needs to speak his mind and not be ridiculed all the time .
Heisley has got to figure out whether to pull the trigger on Rudy, but I haven't seen the right trade for him that would give us the defensive presence we need.

JordansBulls
11-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Another voice of reason!

:)

Jaji
11-07-2009, 09:33 AM
I'm surprised too. I didn't know the Grizzlies were rebuilding. Seems like they've been "building" since their days in Vancouver. How do you rebuild something that's never been built?

Hellcrooner
11-07-2009, 10:49 AM
yesterdays games is a perfect example about wy grizz si a tam tatshoudl make playoffs but their EGOS wont allow them.

You ahve a center that sbeing the ost efective scorer in the leauge and the oe making most points in less shots.

THe oppsng team has pau gasol and bynum injured.

so basically they are thrwoing at you Odom or poweel at center.

they are in an OBVIuS disadvantage in that position.

Do Hollins tel the gys to pass theball to Your center to take advantage of the situation? NO

do the stupid bal hogs think by themselves , uh maybe it woudl be a good idea to feed the big guy....

NO

they only allow him 7 shots and start shooting Brick after brick and en up losing he game.

Memphis wont get qanwhere until they get rid of 3 of this four balhogs, Mayo, Gay, i verson and Randolph and gets TWO starting like Defensive focused players one of them ebin able to score some.

MackSnackWrap
11-07-2009, 11:00 AM
loolll :facepalm:

Kakaroach
11-07-2009, 11:10 AM
C'mon Iverson just stay patient for now. Fresh off an injury and he wants to start right away. Why he didn't go to Charlotte I'm still amazed.

mzgrizz
11-07-2009, 03:59 PM
yesterdays games is a perfect example about wy grizz si a tam tatshoudl make playoffs but their EGOS wont allow them.

You ahve a center that sbeing the ost efective scorer in the leauge and the oe making most points in less shots.

THe oppsng team has pau gasol and bynum injured.

so basically they are thrwoing at you Odom or poweel at center.

they are in an OBVIuS disadvantage in that position.

Do Hollins tel the gys to pass theball to Your center to take advantage of the situation? NO

do the stupid bal hogs think by themselves , uh maybe it woudl be a good idea to feed the big guy....

NO

they only allow him 7 shots and start shooting Brick after brick and en up losing he game.

Memphis wont get qanwhere until they get rid of 3 of this four balhogs, Mayo, Gay, i verson and Randolph and gets TWO starting like Defensive focused players one of them ebin able to score some.

Another solution is to get rid of the coach.........

"Jigsaw"
11-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Hello Allen,

You may not know me, but I know you. You have been a terrible role model to kids, and a cancer to your last 2 teams, which leads me to question whether or not you value your life. You are being tested, and so far you have failed. Now you have 1 month to pull yourself together, or be gone from basketball forever. Live or die Allen, Make your choice!

IRUAM #21
11-07-2009, 05:23 PM
^ Epic

BkOriginalOne
11-07-2009, 05:38 PM
I find that people can't wait for players to take dips in numbers so they can jump on the hate truck.
The guy is 2 season removed from dropping 26 a game. His season with the Pistons was doomed from the start, and the Grizzlies times are looking Bleek.
However, I believe that AI will work into the starting lineup and eventually be dropping 20 plus a game.

I still think that Iverson could be an effective, 23ppg, 6apg, 2spg player, given he plays at least 35 mins a game. I think their are NBA teams who can offer him 35 min in a three guard rotation. Why not?

Iverson is a great player and his legacy will never be forgotten. I find the people are adamantly urging a sure fire HOFer to retire, what's that about?!?

Yes, the Grizzlies have a lot of scorers and not much "mesh", but we all know that the GM is not the brightest (giving away gasol, getting Zach, and arguably drafting Thabeet over almost any top 10 player.
If AI was playing in a winning climate (HEAT) or a team on the threshold for winning with a comfort zone (BOBCATS) this bashing would not exist.
Get off of the man for landing in bad situation for the past two seasons.

He will be a FA next summer and teams will bite, and he will give them something nice to chew on!

smith&wesson
11-07-2009, 05:58 PM
iv'e been saying this for a while now.

iversons been in the league for a long time and has paid his dues. earned his respect. yet he gets torn apart on here, why ?

Kakaroach
11-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Hello Allen,

You may not know me, but I know you. You have been a terrible role model to kids, and a cancer to your last 2 teams, which leads me to question whether or not you value your life. You are being tested, and so far you have failed. Now you have 1 month to pull yourself together, or be gone from basketball forever. Live or die Allen, Make your choice! Okay I'm a huge fan of the Saw series but that was really lame.

blackjack_119
11-07-2009, 06:06 PM
I find that people can't wait for players to take dips in numbers so they can jump on the hate truck.
The guy is 2 season removed from dropping 26 a game. His season with the Pistons was doomed from the start, and the Grizzlies times are looking Bleek.
However, I believe that AI will work into the starting lineup and eventually be dropping 20 plus a game.

I still think that Iverson could be an effective, 23ppg, 6apg, 2spg player, given he plays at least 35 mins a game. I think their are NBA teams who can offer him 35 min in a three guard rotation. Why not?

Iverson is a great player and his legacy will never be forgotten. I find the people are adamantly urging a sure fire HOFer to retire, what's that about?!?

Yes, the Grizzlies have a lot of scorers and not much "mesh", but we all know that the GM is not the brightest (giving away gasol, getting Zach, and arguably drafting Thabeet over almost any top 10 player.
If AI was playing in a winning climate (HEAT) or a team on the threshold for winning with a comfort zone (BOBCATS) this bashing would not exist.
Get off of the man for landing in bad situation for the past two seasons.

He will be a FA next summer and teams will bite, and he will give them something nice to chew on!

He was a free agent this summer teams didn't bite. He will be a free agent next summer and teams won't bite.

In his prime, AI was a phenomenal player, but in order to be successful, you had to build a team around him. AI is no longer good enough that any team has the desire to build around him so it is up to him to either adjust to becoming a role player or continue to lament the fact that he should be a star when he is isn't anymore... his choice.

daleja424
11-07-2009, 06:07 PM

he could be in miami right now living large and being 5-1...instead he's in memphis...loser

BkOriginalOne
11-07-2009, 06:09 PM
He was a free agent this summer teams didn't bite. He will be a free agent next summer and teams won't bite.

In his prime, AI was a phenomenal player, but in order to be successful, you had to build a team around him. AI is no longer good enough that any team has the desire to build around him so it is up to him to either adjust to becoming a role player or continue to lament the fact that he should be a star when he is isn't anymore... his choice.

A lot more teams would have been biting had they had the money.
He would probably be playing for the bobcats right now if they had the cash.

Hellcrooner
11-07-2009, 10:22 PM
he is gone.
probably to join Lebron

JC_
11-07-2009, 10:41 PM

hahaha

GodsSon
11-07-2009, 10:43 PM

he could be in miami right now living large and being 5-1...instead he's in memphis...loser

who's to say the heat would have that record had they signed him?

mzgrizz
11-07-2009, 11:56 PM
I am speechless right now. I cannot believe he has left before he started.
My Grizzlies' nightmare is continuing.

Hellcrooner
11-08-2009, 12:01 AM
^ dont cry my lady.

I grant you this is a good thing.

Haivng a dsigruntled veteran greedy ball hog aroudn young players developing is not the best example for them.

Now if grizzlies coudl get rid of Randolph and Gay and bring a apir of EXCELENT deffenders for Sf and PF position i grant you Mayo and Marc coudl lead them to Playoffs.

ink
11-08-2009, 12:01 AM
I'm going to close this one since we have another AI thread.

Let's keep the bashing to a minimum OK guys. Even if you don't like the way he has conducted himself please show a little respect for an NBA player who will likely be in the HOF.

This is NOT directed at any one post or poster btw.