PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Nuggets not getting the love?

coloradobuff
11-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Team goes to the Western Conference finals last year, adds a point guard like Ty Lawson to back up Billups and yet they are still arent considered one of the top two teams in the West.

Spurs made a couple nice acquisitions in Richard Jefferson and the rook Dejuan Blair from Pitt.

This Denver team is doing something they arent used to in the past, and thats winning playoff series, and winning on the road.

I will take the Nuggets over the Spurs no problem, because Denver is deeper and frankly more talented than the Spurs

b_rad23
11-05-2009, 12:27 PM
:love:

IRUAM #21
11-05-2009, 12:29 PM

KG2TB
11-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Nobody should be getting love a week into the season. Who cares what the 'experts' and clowns at ESPN say anyways? This is why the season is played. The Nuggets will get love late in the season when\if they're a powerhouse, and all those other teams that are getting love now, will either be stabbed in the back or play up to expectations and receive even more love.

LakersOrNothing
11-05-2009, 12:33 PM

Raph12
11-05-2009, 12:42 PM

Sorry I had to continue the pattern lol... if they can keep this up for the full season and beat elite teams when they play them, then the Nuggets will get the respect they deserve. Sort of like with the Magic, right now they are still a bit unproven, if they keep up the dominance for the season and beat teams like the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Cavs and Nuggets during the season, then they will get the respect they deserve.

thephoenixson28
11-05-2009, 12:50 PM

Same goes for the phoenix suns

DerekRE_3
11-05-2009, 12:54 PM

Sorry I had to continue the pattern lol... if they can keep this up for the full season and beat elite teams when they play them, then the Nuggets will get the respect they deserve. Sort of like with the Magic, right now they are still a bit unproven, if they keep up the dominance for the season and beat teams like the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Cavs and Nuggets during the season, then they will get the respect they deserve.

I wouldn't call the Nuggs unproven...they went to the WCF last year and had Billups with them in training camp this year. People forget they did that trade during the season, when you can't have a lot of practices to adjust. Lawson was a huge upgrade at the backup point spot and Afflalo is pretty much a younger Dahntay Jones. JR Smith hasn't even played a game yet and they've been dominating.

Raph12
11-05-2009, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't call the Nuggs unproven...they went to the WCF last year and had Billups with them in training camp this year. People forget they did that trade during the season, when you can't have a lot of practices to adjust. Lawson was a huge upgrade at the backup point spot and Afflalo is pretty much a younger Dahntay Jones. JR Smith hasn't even played a game yet and they've been dominating.

Orlando went to the Finals but they are still unproven, last season's playoffs don't account for too much seeming as how the Nuggets had an easy route to the WCFs. Many don't believe in them yet because they don't believe in Melo. If Melo can play like a leader on both ends for the whole season then, and only then, will people believe in him.

PHX2daDEATH
11-05-2009, 01:14 PM
If Denver would of beaten L.A. they would gotten all the love at the begining of the year.. Nobody deserves love this early anyways, not even my 4-1 Suns because they havent beaten anybody yet..

Wilson
11-05-2009, 01:25 PM
I've had a lot of love for Denver ever since they traded for Chauncey.

Like Derek said they've had a full training camp with him this season, Arron Afflalo does everything Dahntay Jones did but is younger, they added Ty Lawson and they haven't had JR Smith yet this season.

Besides that there is the growth of Carmelo Anthony. He had his first deep play-off run last season, and played great defense on Kobe Bryant before Coach Karl inexplicably put Jones on him instead. Carmelo has always been clutch on the offensive end, and this summer he worked more on his defense - these are signs you look for in a young player you hope to win a championship with.

They have a few other young guys that should improve as well, including Nene and JR Smith.

Raph12
11-05-2009, 01:30 PM

Like Derek said they've had a full training camp with him this season, Arron Afflalo does everything Dahntay Jones did but is younger, they added Ty Lawson and they haven't had JR Smith yet this season.

Besides that there is the growth of Carmelo Anthony. He had his first deep play-off run last season, and played great defense on Kobe Bryant before Coach Karl inexplicably put Jones on him instead. Carmelo has always been clutch on the offensive end, and this summer he worked more on his defense - these are signs you look for in a young player you hope to win a championship with.

They have a few other young guys that should improve as well, including Nene and JR Smith.

Melo was starting to show fatigue from playing really hard on both ends, so Karl put Jones on him so Melo can have a breather on defense and then tear it up on offense.

Wilson
11-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Melo was starting to show fatigue from playing really hard on both ends, so Karl put Jones on him so Melo can have a breather on defense and then tear it up on offense.

That makes sense. It's a shame, it was fun watching Kobe and 'Melo going at it.

a sol
11-05-2009, 01:51 PM
they're not getting love because birdman and kmart are the biggest trash in the league

cbs134679
11-05-2009, 01:58 PM
I won't believe in them until they get a bigman that can draw double teams in the post, spurs and lakers have gasol and duncan, I think thats the key to winning championships.

Wilson
11-05-2009, 02:01 PM
I won't believe in them until they get a bigman that can draw double teams in the post, spurs and lakers have gasol and duncan, I think thats the key to winning championships.

A lot of that comes down to Nene. He averaged 15 PPG last season, a career high. If he can maintain (or preferably increase it to around 17/18 PPG) the Nuggets will be fine.

Raph12
11-05-2009, 02:13 PM
That makes sense. It's a shame, it was fun watching Kobe and 'Melo going at it.

Agreed, that was alot of fun, but watching Kobe light up Dahntay Jones while Jones harasses him was fun as well.

Highlight
11-05-2009, 02:33 PM

Completely Agree with Derek and Wilson. They are an elite team. People haven't even seen this team at it's best. The only issue this team really has is size. Their big men are not as big as teams like LA, Orlando, etc. but they can still hang with anyone in a 7 game series. Since coming back last year, Nene has been quite phenomenal and Birdman is a nice back up.

Size is still their one weak point, but that doesn't mean they can't win it all. In all honesty, Boston is quite small too, but they still dominate on the defensive end.

b_rad23
11-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Size is still their one weak point, but that doesn't mean they can't win it all. In all honesty, Boston is quite small too, but they still dominate on the defensive end.

Their 3 main bigs are 6'10", 6'11", 6'11"....

PLAYERS FAN
11-05-2009, 03:30 PM
I personally like them to see how they do against the lakers and especially the spurs because last year the spurs reserve as starters almost beat them in a game.

cmellofan15
11-05-2009, 06:45 PM
I don't know what Nuggets you guys are watching. You can't count out our bigs when we have K Mart and Nene almost averaging double doubles. And we still have one of the most intimidating defenders in the league with Birdman off the bench.

avsman05
11-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Their 3 main bigs are 6'10", 6'11", 6'11"....

That's actually PF size not Center by NBA standards. But i completely agree Boston is a powerhouse and could win with a smaller lineup.

I personally like them to see how they do against the lakers and especially the spurs because last year the spurs reserve as starters almost beat them in a game.

I cant wait til Friday the 13th. LA vs Denver woot woot. But honestly both teams are vastly different especially the Spurs. But that will definately be a good test.

Ebbs
11-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Stop whining...... Your team has gotten love...... And Spurs are deeper then Nuggets ps.

DenButsu
11-05-2009, 08:36 PM
they're not getting love because birdman and kmart are the biggest trash in the league

There's always someone. :rolleyes:

---------------------------------------

Anyways, after 5 consecutive years of going down in the first round, the Nuggets got a "pretenders, not contenders" label pinned on them that's hard to shake even with last season's success. Also, Denver not being the most high profile city, sports market, or team in the league, I think a lot of fans take a peripheral view to the team, and may not understand them in a deep or up-to-date way. Even now I still see people posting things like "they're all offense, no defense", and "Melo is a great scorer, but that's all he can do." It's like they entered a time capsule in 2007 and just walked out of it yesterday.

I don't think it will be too much longer before it's just crystal clear that this really is a new and improved team over the old one that too many people still use as their model for what kind of impression they have of the Nuggets - and that too many people seem to think they will revert to this season (they're an NBA fan favorite pick for "most likely to drop off"). 5-0 is only five games, but J.R. Smith hasn't even started playing yet, Ty Lawson appears to be a real deal NBA player who is giving Denver a big offensive boost already (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/lawsoty01.html) (he has a PER of 24 after his first 5 games), and Afflalo/Graham are doing a perfectly adequate job of filling the holes left by Jones'/Kleiza's departures. In fact, I think we may have gotten the best of both worlds in Afflalo, because he can hit some of those 3s that Kleiza did, while actually playing good defense like Jones did, so both elements can come with a single player on the floor and it's not an either/or for Karl.

Basically, the way I see it is that since about 1996 or so, nobody has really been in the habit of giving the Nuggets any respect or love. So it's gonna take them some getting used too, that's all. :cool:

Litchris12
11-06-2009, 12:49 AM
carmelo anthony is the truth

_KB24_
11-06-2009, 01:09 AM
:up: Hope we don't have to see you in the playoffs!

ldc62
11-06-2009, 01:39 AM
Who hasn't been giving the Nuggets love? Some experts chose project Melo as this years MVP.

iggypop123
11-06-2009, 01:59 AM
i saw dj mbenga dominate nene in preseason. its early wait till the all star break to make these threads

Wilson
11-06-2009, 02:05 AM
i saw dj mbenga dominate nene in preseason. its early wait till the all star break to make these threads

That was one pre-season game though. With the Nuggets we have everything that's happened after the Billups trade to look at, which is a much larger sample size.

DenButsu
11-06-2009, 02:23 AM
Mbenga did play shockingly well in that game. I'd be surprised if that happened again, though. It kind of strikes the same tone with me as "the night Linas Kleiza got 41 points". A once in a career phenomenon.

NZ_Lakers!
11-06-2009, 07:50 AM
because its 5 games in at 10-0 people will start talking...

GoatMilk
11-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Miami-76
Denver-50

thats why.

lol. like everyone has been saying. it's still too early.