PDA

View Full Version : NBA ReDraft Playoffs: 1 Dallas Mavericks vs. 8 Utah Jazz

Catfish1314
11-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Once or a twice year, PSD holds an NBA ReDraft. In this game played by PSD users, all the players in the NBA go into a draft pool. A lottery is held to determine the order and in 12 rounds of drafting and trading the GMs try to create the best team possible.

This first round match-up features the top seeded Dallas Mavericks versus the 8th seeded Utah Jazz. The Mavericks have homecourt advantage. Their respective rosters and write-ups are listed below:

Keep in mind these are not the real life teams.

Mavericks:

C: Al Horford - Ryan Hollins
PF: Dirk Nowitzki - Nick Collison - Kris Humphries
SF: Wilson Chandler - Jared Dudley
SG: Joe Johnson - Quinton Ross - Rashad McCants
PG: DJ Augustin - Chris Duhon

Jazz:

PG: Chris Paul/Luke Ridnour
SG: Shane Battier/CJ Miles/Chris Douglas-Roberts
SF: Francisco Garcia/CJ Miles/Donte Greene
PF: Elton Brand/Kosta Koufos/Sean May
C: Marc Gasol/Roy Hibbert/Kosta Koufos

Mavericks write-up:

Its time for the playoff journey to begin, and we have a good matchup against Chris Paul and the Utah Jazz in the first round.

While Chris Paul is an explosive player and the best PG in the NBA, the Jazz lack the type of players who can capitalize off his great playmaking ability and while he will have some big games, it wont be enough to push the Jazz past the Mavs.

I'll go over the matchups, but this series is more than just matchups. Its about how the teams would work, with the Mavs having a MVP Caliber big in Dirk Nowitzki, a top 3-5 SG in Joe Johnson and several very talented young guns in Al Horford and Wilson Chandler to capitalize off their pressure. DJ Augustin will definently improve off his promising rookie season with all the weapons he has at his disposal.

DJ Augustin vs Chris Paul - Not gonna try and sugar coat this, Paul is much better than DJ Augustin. He is gonna get his numbers, but I do feel because of Augustin's speed and ability to guard fast players that he will be able to do a pretty decent job guarding Paul. Augustin is a very good 3 point shooter, as he shot 44% last year from downtown and we feel he can really benefit from all the attention Dirk and JJ get to become a huge threat from downtown for us. With all the looks he will get, we are confident he can put up 12-15 a game along with 5-8 assists and definently help the team.

Joe Johnson vs Francisco Garcia - I'm sure Battier will be defending JJ, but as far as player position this is the matchup. Production wise JJ will kill Garcia, even if Battier is guarding him. JJ is one of the top players in the entire league and the Jazz really have no answer for him. Even if they do manage to slow JJ down, they still dont have anyone who can match what he brings by a long shot.

Wilson Chandler vs Shane Battier - Chandler is on his way to becoming one of the best small forwards in the NBA and is a key building block in NY. Here, he provides a excellent compliment between Dirk and JJ and will be a excellent third option. With Garcia guarding him he should be able to put up good numbers. His true SF counterpart Shane Battier wont put up anymore than he usually does, which is hit a couple threes and thats about it.

Dirk Nowitzki vs Elton Brand - Big matchup for us here, with Dirk being a MVP caliber player in his prime and Elton Brand a shell of his former self. Elton Brand has never had the speed or height to give Dirk much trouble and he isnt the player he use to be, so he wont give Dirk alot of trouble offensively. Unlike David West he isnt a great shooter so Paul wont be able to feed him all game. His offensive game was all post scoring, and he seems to have lost that.

Al Horford vs Marc Gasol - Solid matchup here, with both guys bringing defense, rebounding, and some scoring when needed. I think due to the fact that Horford is the type of defender that can slow down Brand while Gasol being so big and slow has no chance of slowing Dirk we are in a better position here.

Bench vs Bench I think is also a win for us due to the fact that we have more players that can consistently contribute to games. Chris Duhon and Nick Collison are great bench pieces who have started a ton of games in their careers, and they can be counted on to consistently give a solid effort off the bench. Then we have three players who bring great defense to their positions in Ross, Dudley and Ryan Hollins.

On the other hand CJ Miles is a quality player but the rest of their bench hasnt proven they can bring much to the table. Ridnour wont play much at all behind Paul so he by default wont bring much.

The Jazz can cause some problems, just not enough to have a chance in the series truthfully. Good luck to the Jazz.

Jazz write-up:

Ok, first I want to say well done to BB41 and MHC, another great effort from both GMs, and they definatly made the trade of the redraft getting Dirk.

PG- This is the most one sided match up that we win, and I think it could well be enough to carry us through. Chris Paul, top point guard and who many regard as a top 5 elite player in this league goes up against a sophmore shooter who doesnt even start. Paul should score as many as he wants, dish it to whomever he likes, he should run the show, most likely to be player of the series. Its wayyy too early for DJ Augustin to be going up against Chris Paul in a playoff series, and I question if he has the ball distribution needed to win this series and to feed the Dallas big guns. I think all of you will agree we win this match up by a landslide, actually I'd say our back up PG Luke Ridnour would probably come in and win the match up too.

SG- ok, I have big respect for Joe Johnson, all around player and a potent scorer. We will be throwing Shane Battier at him this series, probably the most respected defender in the league, and he is sure to make it tough on Joe Johnson. He did an excellent job on Brandon Roy in last years playoffs just frustrating him, and it was key to progressing. We think he can do the same here, obviously we dont expect him to fully shut JJ down, but we think Shane can give him a few off games, force a few turnovers etc to put JJ off his game. Shane also brings that 3 point shot that is vital to opening up the inside game for Elton Brand. JJ will still get his points, and will most likely win the match up, but Shane will make him sweat for every point.

SF- ok, honestly, dont know too much about Wilson Chandler, but Knicks fans seem to love him. He seems like a solid all around. He's having a rough year with the 3 pointer and playing alot of minutes for his points, so I'm questioning his efficiency. Cisco Garcia I'd like to think is a trusty veteran now in the stage of his career he's at and can be alot more steady than Chandler throughout this series. He's always been a spark plug off the bench for the Kings, he can shoot, score and play some good D. We need him to chip in with some points to help, and we see him averaging 15ppg throughout the series, which playing with an elite point guard for the first time in his career is pretty likely. I think we win this match up, Cisco will be more effective on both ends of the floor than Chandler.

PF- Interesting match up, the big German against the traditional back to the basket 4. Dirk will get his points, but has never been the reliable team leader a top seed has needed, and not been as clutch as required. Hopefully Shane Battier's D on JJ will force him to play a bigger role, his shot will have to be consistant from the outside, as Brand is a solid post defender he wont be coming inside as much as he'd want. On the other end, Brand, now with an elite point guard for the first time in his career will return to that 20-10 play. Look what Paul has done with TC and West, Brand is better than West, and with Dirk being a sub par defender (agreed he's underrated) Brand should have his way inside. He's also a much better rebounder than Dirk, so we expect him to grab a good deal of offensive rebounds and extra possessions for us. His presence inside will help our outside game too. Dirk is the big name, but don't underrate Brand+top PG.

C- Now, Marc Gasol has started the season with an incredibly large bang. He has averaged 20-11 with 1.3 blocks. At 7-1 and 265 pounds he will be an absolute beast this series, book it. He will either be guarded by Dirk, or the undersized Al Horford. I really like Horford, but he is 3 inches smaller than Gasol and 20lbs lighter, Gasol will beast! Horford should be a non factor on the offensive end, getting his usual 10-12ppg with that post game, but it will be physical, and Marc Gasol's size will trouble him. Gasol's 20ppg start makes him our 3rd scoring option in an inside oriented offense, and we really feel that with Paul feeding the ball in to our two post players, we have too much strength and size for the Mavs. We win this match up.

Bench- Usually a non factor in these sort of things, but I'll talk you though our bench. Luke Ridnour a solid and reliable back up point to Chris Paul. CJ Miles and CDR are young and always improving. CDR is already a solid player brimming with potential. CJ Miles has beefed up ALOT this summer, and was expected to start with a bang for the real Jazz this year. He averaged about 10ppg last year in 20 odd minutes, and should provide a potent punch off of ours. Again these guys shooting are important to Brands game.

Overall I really think we match up very well with the Dallas Mavericks. I think we were unfairly voted the 8th seed, with some even voting us out of the playoffs, but we can give the Mavs a good working over with our toughness and the briliance of CP3.

sofargone
11-03-2009, 11:28 PM
jazz

RocketsRule
11-03-2009, 11:40 PM
This is a lot closer than a 1-8 matchup should be. Still have to go with the Mavs in 6 though. Just too much for the Jazz to handle with both Johnson and Dirk.

bahama0811
11-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Jazz

thesparky33
11-04-2009, 02:25 AM
I agree with RocketsRule... this is a very close matchup for a 1-8 series.

I really want to vote for the Jazz, but I have to say Mavericks here.

Do Brand, Gasol, and Battier really fit in with Chris Paul's running style?

BlondeBomber41
11-04-2009, 02:58 AM
This isnt close at all. They have to score points, and their #2 option is a washed up Elton Brand. Their #3 is who, Marc Gasol? Then who? Francisco Garcia?

Paul would be great, but he just doesnt have the talent to be a good team. He has more talent than this in New Orleans and they cant win, how would he win with this team?

ChiSox219
11-04-2009, 06:27 AM
Jazz in 5/6

jimbobjarree
11-04-2009, 07:15 AM
jazz baby

thesparky33
11-04-2009, 01:18 PM
This isnt close at all. They have to score points, and their #2 option is a washed up Elton Brand. Their #3 is who, Marc Gasol? Then who? Francisco Garcia?

Paul would be great, but he just doesnt have the talent to be a good team. He has more talent than this in New Orleans and they cant win, how would he win with this team?

Comparing a redraft team to a real life team isnt a fair comparison. If you took the top 5 teams in the NBA against any of the redraft teams, the real life teams would murder the redraft teams every time. I mean, how many redraft teams could compete with the real life teams of the Lakers, Celtics, or Spurs? Tell me a redraft team with Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Richard Jefferson, and Tim Duncan wouldnt just annihilate throughout the playoffs.

KnicksorBust
11-04-2009, 03:34 PM

It really is close because his strongest player is also your biggest weakness. CP3 should be able to really take control of DJ during this series and then he's got arguably the best perimeter defender in Battier guarding Joe Johnson. It is very close to a perfect matchup in his favor. At center, Marc Gasol is off to a very hot start this season and is statistically outperforming Al Horford. Meanwhile for you, Wilson Chandler is off to an awful start and Garcia's season last year was better. In those 4 positions he either has an edge or has a way to severely limit yours.

Then Dirk comes out with a 29 pt fourth quarter as part of a 40-11-5-2-5 insane stat line and reminds everyone that he really should be able to have a field day on Elton Brand. I honestly think you've built a more impressive team but to say it's not close is dead wrong.

BlondeBomber41
11-04-2009, 03:48 PM
It really is close because his strongest player is also your biggest weakness. CP3 should be able to really take control of DJ during this series and then he's got arguably the best perimeter defender in Battier guarding Joe Johnson. It is very close to a perfect matchup in his favor. At center, Marc Gasol is off to a very hot start this season and is statistically outperforming Al Horford. Meanwhile for you, Wilson Chandler is off to an awful start and Garcia's season last year was better. In those 4 positions he either has an edge or has a way to severely limit yours.

Then Dirk comes out with a 29 pt fourth quarter as part of a 40-11-5-2-5 insane stat line and reminds everyone that he really should be able to have a field day on Elton Brand. I honestly think you've built a more impressive team but to say it's not close is dead wrong.

Who would score for him? Seriously. Its nice to say all that, but he doesnt have any scorers. Gasol having a good three game stretch doesnt make him a viable third option yet, and Brand has been awful yet again.

The Paul/Augustin matchup is not what you make it seem at all. Augustin is a quality defender and very fast, he has a pretty decent shot of sticking with Paul. To say that he would dominate this matchup so much that it would negate the fact the rest of his team is either washed up, injured or not there yet is silly.

BlondeBomber41
11-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Comparing a redraft team to a real life team isnt a fair comparison. If you took the top 5 teams in the NBA against any of the redraft teams, the real life teams would murder the redraft teams every time. I mean, how many redraft teams could compete with the real life teams of the Lakers, Celtics, or Spurs? Tell me a redraft team with Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Richard Jefferson, and Tim Duncan wouldnt just annihilate throughout the playoffs.

Its a very fair comparison when you consider the circumstances.

If people wanna think that he can somehow turn a roster of Marc Gasol, washed up Elton Brand, Shane Battier and Francisco Garcia into a team that can win anything then all they have to do is look at how a real life Chris Paul team with more legit talent is struggling. Chris Paul isn't a miracle worker, if he cant turn that team into something decent how the hell would he do it for this team?

Ace33Bone
11-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Mavs in 7

PhillyLuver
11-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Brand isn't washed up though, he's doing nicely this year so far

BlondeBomber41
11-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Brand isn't washed up though, he's doing nicely this year so far

Um, less than 12 points and 6 rebounds on 46% shooting is not nicely. He use to be a 20/10 guy who shot above 50% and was a beast defensively. Statistically he has actually been worse this year than last year.

pebloemer
11-04-2009, 04:23 PM
I would certainly argue some of the things the Jazz say about Dirk, but other than that, a very respectable write up from the Jazz. This is a closer series than on paper but the Mavs take this one still. Commendable effort from the Jazz though. Paul and Battier is are fantastic defenders and can give the Mavs backcourt issues, however the Jazz can't match up with Dirk and Horford very well.

haris23
11-04-2009, 04:26 PM
I really think the Jazz could make this a great series. The Jazz are very underrated in the redraft and the 8th seed is nonsense.