PDA

View Full Version : NBA ReDraft Playoffs: 4 New York Knicks vs. 5 Detroit Pistons

Catfish1314
11-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Once or a twice year, PSD holds an NBA ReDraft. In this game played by PSD users, all the players in the NBA go into a draft pool. A lottery is held to determine the order and in 12 rounds of drafting and trading the GMs try to create the best team possible.

This first round match-up features the 4th seeded New York Knicks versus the 5th seeded Detroit Pistons. The Knicks have homecourt advantage. Their respective rosters and write-ups are listed below:

Keep in mind these are not the real life teams.

Knicks:

C - Marcus Camby / Brian Skinner / Steven Hunter
PF - David Lee / Craig Smith
SF - Boris Diaw / Ime Udoka
SG - Brandon Roy / Rasual Butler
PG - Mo Williams / Sergio Rodriguez / Shaun Livingston

Pistons:

G: Ramon Sessions - Earl Watson – Jacque Vaughn
G: Rip Hamilton - Tony Allen – Chase "The Ginger" Budinger
F: Carmelo Anthony– Joe Alexander
F: Kenyon Martin- Darius Songaila
C: Kendrick Perkins - Erick Dampier

Knicks write-up:

Mo Williams – 17.8 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 4.1 apg, 0.9 spg, 46.7% fg, 43.6% 3pt, 91.2% ft
Brandon Roy – 22.6 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 5.1 apg, 1.1 spg, 48.0% fg, 37.7% 3pt, 82.4% ft
Boris Diaw – 15.1 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 4.9 apg, 0.9 spg, 0.8 bpg, 49.5% fg, 41.9% 3pt, 68.6 ft
David Lee – 16.0 ppg, 11.7 rpg, 2.1 apg, 1.0 spg, 54.9% fg, 75.5% ft
Marcus Camby – 10.3 ppg, 11.1 rpb, 2.1 apg, 0.8 spg, 2.1 bpg, 51.2% fg, 72.5% ft

PG – Mo Williams vs. Ramon Sessions
As we go through each matchup this is easily the biggest disparity you will find at any position. He’s trying to hide a fake starter at PG and I hope people realize this. Ramon Sessions couldn’t outplay Luke Ridnour and win the starting PG job in Milwaukee. Seriously, Ridnour started 50 games at PG last season including the last one. The Knicks (MY KNICKS WHO ARE DESPERATE FOR A PG and brought in Troy Hudson for a workout) refused to offer him a $4 million dollar deal because it was too much. This same player is now in Minnesota and played against Mo Williams the second game of the season. Well he played against him when he came off the bench and scored 4 points and got 2 assists as the BACKUP to a very talented rookie. Oh by the way, Mo put up 20 and 6 that game in a winning effort because well, he’s a starter.
Huge Edge: Knicks

SG – Brandon Roy vs. Rip Hamiton
I love Rip Hamilton but obviously this is an advantage for me as well. Not much to say here as both players have games that are well-liked but it’s obvious that Roy is my star and above Rip. Roy just dropped 42 points on Battier AND Ariza, I think he’d find a way to score on Rip.
Edge: Knicks

SF – Boris Diaw vs. Carmelo Anthony
I actually believe his advantage here is pretty much even to my advantage at SG. Melo’s defense is improved now so I wouldn’t claim that Diaw would go off for his normal 16-5-4 that he’s been averaging in Charlotte. The only difference is off the bench I have a legit player in Rasual Butler who was a good starter for the Hornets last year to spell Diaw and D up on Melo whereas he has a lower tier player in Tony Allen. Melo would still have a good series though clearly.
Edge: Pistons

Frontcourt – David Lee/Marcus Camby vs. Kenyon Martin/Kendrick Perkins
I’m pairing these together just so everyone realizes that he’s not getting any consistent inside scoring from his frontcourt. Martin is an 11ppg guy and Perkins is a 9ppg guy. They are both the bruiser low post defender guy. I feel like the Pistons made a mistake here and would have been better off having a guy like Okur at C or a Harrington type at PF. Heck, I have Craig Smith on the bench who is a better post player than both his starters and scored more ppg (10.1) than his starting center despite playing 10 less minutes per game! Lee and Camby can really crash the glass (K-Mart is not a good rebounder anymore) and if Lee can run a pick and roll and get 16 ppg with Duhon, he’ll be fine with Mo Williams and Brandon Roy.

Bench: Sergio/Butler/Butler/Smith/Skinner vs. Watson/Allen/Alexander/Songaila/Damp

Everyone always thinks their bench is better and I’m no exception. I have Sergio Rodriguez's passing off the bench (7th in the NBA last year in Assists per 48), Rasual Butler's overall game at the 2/3 spots (11 ppg, good 3pt shooter, very good defender, started for the Hornets and took the hardest assignment each night), Craig Smith's post scoring, (9th highest scoring PF in per 48 stats with 10.1 ppg on 56% fg), and Brian Skinner's hard-nosed defense (4rpb, 1bpg in 16 minutes).

I feel like with the exception of his clear edge at SF, I have control of this series and should advance! GL.

Pistons write-up:

Overall: The team I have with the Pistons is pretty much around Carmelo Anthony. We would like to have Melo do the majority of the scoring and Rip helping in the outside as well. With that being said, we are also a defensive minded team. We have a team that can block shots and crash the boards day in and day out.

Mo Williams vs. Ramon Sessions

Here we have a matchup of a experienced guard and a up and coming kid in Sessions who we believe can distribute the ball for us nicely. However, in this matchup I think the Knicks have the edge. I would love to see this matchup though. I think Sessions in a few years can produce like a star. Knicks have the edge here.

Brandon Roy vs. Rip Hamilton

This a matchup where I think Rip defensively can stop Roy. Roy can score a ton of point against any team. But with Rip playing the 2 guard for us, we think he can be stopped. Rip as we all know can also hit huge shots. I believe because of the defensive edge with Rip, the Pistons win this matchup.

Boris Diaw vs. Carmelo Anthony

Carmelo Anthony is a player who cannot be guarded. However, Diaw is a premier defender and I think may give a fit to Melo. I think Carmelo still has the edge in this matchup.

David Lee vs. Kenyon Martin

This matchup is clearly all hustle. Both these guys are very athletic can grab a ton of rebounds. I really like this matchup but I think the edge here is given to Lee because he can score some in the post. Knicks get the edge.

Marcus Camby vs. Kendrick Perkins

This matchup to me is as equal as the one above. Both of these guys are scrappy players and are defensive minded players. I would love to see these two battling in the post grabbing rebound and swatting shots. This matchup is very close and I think it’s pretty equal. I saw this matchup is pretty neutal.

X-Factor for Pistons: Tony Allen
X-Factor for Knicks: Rasual Butler

RocketsRule
11-03-2009, 11:38 PM
I'm going with the Knicks here. Too much talent.

haris23
11-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Good luck to the Knicks. Thanks for all the voters.

ManRam
11-04-2009, 01:22 AM
I really like that Knicks team. Good balance of defense and offense, and a decent bench. I think they have the tools to slow Melo down...and no one else on that team terrifies me. Rip isn't the scorer he once was.

thesparky33
11-04-2009, 02:22 AM
I'm gonna have to say the Knicks here. But it definitely took me a long time to decide. In terms of talent, its tough to decide who's better, but I think the Knicks just look like they all fit together, whereas Rip has a similar offensive approach to Melo, and not sure if that would clash or not.

KnicksorBust
11-04-2009, 08:28 AM
"Mo Williams vs. Ramon Sessions

Here we have a matchup of a experienced guard and a up and coming kid in Sessions who we believe can distribute the ball for us nicely. However, in this matchup I think the Knicks have the edge. I would love to see this matchup though. I think Sessions in a few years can produce like a star. Knicks have the edge here.

This a matchup where I think Rip defensively can stop Roy. Roy can score a ton of point against any team. But with Rip playing the 2 guard for us, we think he can be stopped. Rip as we all know can also hit huge shots. I believe because of the defensive edge with Rip, the Pistons win this matchup."

Sessions can be a star? That's why he's not even playing half his teams minutes on the Timberwolves and he was signed to backup a rookie? Camby and Perkins is a wash? Pistons WIN SG??????? This is pure insanity. Please read the writeups and think carefully everybody. I believe that Roy is better than Melo but even if you call that even, I have the better PG easily, and the better frontcourt. I'm really confused that I'm losing here.

bigsams50
11-04-2009, 08:42 AM
Knicks

Slimsim
11-04-2009, 11:05 AM
i would sell my soul to have a team like this in NY

b_rad23
11-04-2009, 11:05 AM
"Mo Williams vs. Ramon Sessions

This a matchup where I think Rip defensively can stop Roy. Roy can score a ton of point against any team. But with Rip playing the 2 guard for us, we think he can be stopped. Rip as we all know can also hit huge shots. I believe because of the defensive edge with Rip, the Pistons win this matchup."

Sessions can be a star? That's why he's not even playing half his teams minutes on the Timberwolves and he was signed to backup a rookie? Camby and Perkins is a wash? Pistons WIN SG??????? This is pure insanity. Please read the writeups and think carefully everybody. I believe that Roy is better than Melo but even if you call that even, I have the better PG easily, and the better frontcourt. I'm really confused that I'm losing here.

Sessions can be a star. Beasley played half the minutes last year and he can be star...etc.
Camby and Perkins is a wash...

I just really like the balance of the Pistons better personally. Knicks have more talent, but I'm not a fan of the fit, or Mo Williams. Pistons' overall team D and balance is better IMO.

olrales
11-04-2009, 11:34 AM
It goes in 7 games for sure...it looks even...if it was a regular season game I'd say Knicks...but now we're talking of a best of 7 series...I have to say the Pistons...

Hate him or love him, but Rip in series is the X factor.

jmastert
11-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Its pretty even

thesparky33
11-04-2009, 01:11 PM
If people are agreeing that it goes to 7 games, then why are they voting for the Pistons, when the Knicks have home court? Do people realize how hard it is to win a game 7 on the road in the NBA?

Super.
11-04-2009, 02:12 PM
If people are agreeing that it goes to 7 games, then why are they voting for the Pistons, when the Knicks have home court? Do people realize how hard it is to win a game 7 on the road in the NBA?

Magic did it last year :shrug:

KnicksorBust
11-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Sessions can be a star. Beasley played half the minutes last year and he can be star...etc.
Camby and Perkins is a wash...

I just really like the balance of the Pistons better personally. Knicks have more talent, but I'm not a fan of the fit, or Mo Williams. Pistons' overall team D and balance is better IMO.

Sessions can be a star? In the WNBA or D-League yes. In the NBA he's a good backup right now or a starter on a bad team. The only position he beats me at is SF where I have a very capable Boris Diaw who put up 16-5-5 and plays good defense. Then I have Rasual Butler off the bench! Ask Chris Paul if he misses Rasual Butler. The media asked him what he thought about that trade and he said "no comment." AKA I hate my luxury tax scared owner for trading good players. He put up 11ppg and plays VERY GOOD defense. He'd be locked on Melo. So that one matchup is such a blowout to make up for the other 4?

Perkins stats may be similar to Camby but so are Jamal Crawford's and Joe Johnson. You have to recognize the difference. Camby throws up 11-12-3 with good passing and is a former DPOY. Perkins is 9-9-2 with weak passing.

I hate this Mo Williams bashing. Does anyone realize how important he was to the Cavs incredible season last year? He has one bad playoffs and people hate him even though he's proven he's a 16-19 ppg scorer who can knock it down from 3 and take it to the hoop. He's the perfect compliment for a ball-handling wing player like Roy. He proved with LeBron he can create (4apg) and score. With Brandon Roy it would be the SAME THING. Besides you really think he's not going to destroy Ramon Sessions? He already outplayed him once this season 20 pts to Ramon's 4 pts off the bench. That's a huge edge for me.

Then we got David Lee who is clearly better than Kenyon Martin at this point in their careers. Lee scores better, he rebounds better, and Martin's defense is overrated. Lee would outplay him at the PF. As would Diaw when he slides over to PF.

Then everyone tells me I'm going to lose Game 7 at my homecourt ?? How does that make sense? If it's "even" then I should obviously get the W. I would really like some of these Pistons voters to at least explain their votes. I see me win the positions 4-1 and it's not like I've got a bum at SF. Diaw's one of the most underrated and versatile players in the league.

thesparky33
11-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Magic did it last year :shrug:
Yes, but Boston's best player was out, so the matchup wasnt and shouldnt have been that close.

I'm not saying it never happens, but it just doesnt happen often. I dont know the percentage, but I'd guess 80% of the time, the home team wins game 7.

EDIT: 72.2% of the time, the home team wins game 7 in the last 10 years.

haris23
11-04-2009, 04:17 PM
You dont like the Mo Williams bashing? You know what I dont like? You just sitting here ripping on my team like they suck. All you've done is rip on Ramon Sessions saying hes a great WNBA starter. Come on man. Chill. Its kind of ridiculous what your doing. LeBron led that team of the playoffs. And you saying that Sessions but up great number for a crappy team... what about Diaw? Last time I checked, the Bobcats aren't anything spectacular.

Ace33Bone
11-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Pistons will win in 7

BlondeBomber41
11-04-2009, 04:40 PM
I went Knicks. Just like the make up of their team better, but both of you did a really nice job. :)

Kakaroach
11-04-2009, 06:22 PM
When I saw that Rip>Roy, I voted for the Knicks. Seriously how can you possibly think that?

KnicksorBust
11-04-2009, 08:18 PM
You dont like the Mo Williams bashing? You know what I dont like? You just sitting here ripping on my team like they suck. All you've done is rip on Ramon Sessions saying hes a great WNBA starter. Come on man. Chill. Its kind of ridiculous what your doing. LeBron led that team of the playoffs. And you saying that Sessions but up great number for a crappy team... what about Diaw? Last time I checked, the Bobcats aren't anything spectacular.

I'm not ripping your whole team. I flat out said in my writeup that I love Rip Hamilton, you know the guy you said has an edge on Brandon Roy(what???), and that Melo's defense is improved. If anything, that's a very honest of me to admit that because I don't try and win a voting by throwing out fake generalities like Melo can't play D or anything. I just think you have two very obvious weaknesses that make this a definite win for my Knicks. First is you don't have a reliable third option (whereas I have 4 players who can put up 15+ ppg). This is because your frontcourt is all defense, little to no offense. My backup PF Craig Smith is a better post scorer than Martin or Perkins. Second, is the glaring disparity between our PGs. Mo Williams is an all-star and Ramon Sessions is a backup. I don't know why you are comparing Diaw and Sessions. Diaw was very successful in Phoenix when he become the most improved player in the league and when he joined the Bobcats their record improved as well. He was doing everything for them. Passing, posting up, hitting 3's, playing defense. Charlotte has a legit shot at making the playoffs with him this season. Sessions meanwhile was bumped for two rookie PGs and doesn't start. Milwaukee drafted him out and the T-Wolves signed him to play the bench.

Gambeezy
11-04-2009, 09:51 PM
I really like both of your teams. Good luck to you both. This one is close and may come down to the wire.