PDA

View Full Version : Bell:"gonzalez perfect for Boston"

MagicBucsSox
11-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Boston Herald - Padres closer Heath Bell says that first baseman Adrian Gonzalez would be perfect for the Red Sox.

"I think if he didn't have to be the main guy on one team, he'd be so much better than he is," Bell told the Boston Herald.

"He'd hit over .300, and he'd definitely hit 35 or 40 home runs because he'd have protection. It's amazing the things he's done with nobody hitting around him in San Diego. He broke the (team) record for walks in one month (32 in June), and then came back and still hit. He's never had any protection. So I think he'd be amazing for anywhere that has protection for him."

Gonzalez has hit for power despite playing in the cavernous Petco Park.

"I don't think the park's all that bad for him, because all of his power's (opposite field)," Bell said. "In Fenway, he'd pepper that Wall."

MagicBucsSox
11-03-2009, 07:32 PM
gonzalez has stated he'd love to play in boston,heath bell co-signs,a boston FO guy now runs san diego,boston has the needs for san diego, i think only thing stoping it is the world series not ending yet

j-bay
11-03-2009, 07:38 PM
yeah bell iis only saying this is because he wants to be the star of sd just like hoffman was

MagicBucsSox
11-03-2009, 07:39 PM
didnt he want out too

bringinwood
11-03-2009, 07:39 PM
He's perfect for the Washington Nationals, regardless of what Heath Bell says...

He's be a mainstay in that city for years to come... He would fit nicely in that city, a marketing icon, a commitment to winning from the organizations heads, and would provide someone to build around in the middle of that lineup....

C1Bman88
11-03-2009, 07:46 PM
yeah bell iis only saying this is because he wants to be the star of sd just like hoffman was

:facepalm:

Towelie
11-03-2009, 07:47 PM
I would love to see him in a Red Sox uni, just don't see it happening.

MagicBucsSox
11-03-2009, 07:48 PM
He's perfect for the Washington Nationals, regardless of what Heath Bell says...

He's be a mainstay in that city for years to come... He would fit nicely in that city, a marketing icon, a commitment to winning from the organizations heads, and would provide someone to build around in the middle of that lineup....

a mod should suspend you a month for that comment

Towelie
11-03-2009, 07:49 PM

:laugh: Just like Dunn is and is now rumoured to be traded a year later.

theproof
11-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Adrian is way better than Dunn will ever be

N.Z's #1 Dodger
11-03-2009, 08:24 PM
What is the media's fascination with Gonzo to Boston? Gonzo would be a beast in any team in the MLB. He already is hitting in SD for Christ's sake.

I would love him out of the NL West though, that's for sure.

theproof
11-03-2009, 08:37 PM
^

He's be a great fit for any team not just the sox

N.Z's #1 Dodger
11-03-2009, 08:43 PM
^

He's be a great fit for any team not just the sox

Yeah no ****. This is as bad as the "new GM comes from the Red Sox, Gonzo is going there for sure now" talk. The new GM works for SD, he is going to take the best deal possible or is going to be exposed and hated straight -off-the-bat.

Heath Bell says "he would be great in Boston!" Thank you captain obvious. He would be great playing for the Pittsburgh Pirates too genius.

bagwell368
11-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Adrian is way better than Dunn will ever be

Leaving out defense and base running, Dunn and Agon are much closer then you might think. Dunn career 131 OPS+, AG 133. Yeah, Dunn sucks so bad.

C1Bman88
11-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Leaving out defense and base running, Dunn and Agon are much closer then you might think. Dunn career 131 OPS+, AG 133. Yeah, Dunn sucks so bad.

That's sort of a convenient argument, Baggs. You can't overlook defense when comparing players. If they were both DH'es, sure...but they're not.

N.Z's #1 Dodger
11-03-2009, 09:42 PM

"Leaving out defense and base running."

And if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle, what's your point? Why would we conveniently leave out these important aspects of the game? Unless of course, Adam Dunn got hired for what he's actually useful for, which would be a DH.

¿QUE?
11-03-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm sure Bell wouldn't mind to be included in a trade to Boston too...

Padres Son
11-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Bell isn't afraid to run his mouth... doesn't mean anything.

I still don't see Adrian going to Boston. Probably not going anywhere.

Zaunnie
11-03-2009, 10:10 PM
What is the media's fascination with Gonzo to Boston? Gonzo would be a beast in any team in the MLB. He already is hitting in SD for Christ's sake.

Because the Yankees already have a first baseman, no one cares about the Mets, and baseball doesn't exist after those three teams.

Zmaster52
11-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Because the Yankees already have a first baseman, no one cares about the Mets, and baseball doesn't exist after those three teams.

that is so stupid yet so true.

TheShock45
11-03-2009, 10:38 PM

actually i think heath only saying this because the odds of him getting packaged together with adrian are very high and he probly wants to play for boston too

Imperial
11-03-2009, 10:42 PM

That would be a great point if they were competing in a home run derby.

bagwell368
11-03-2009, 10:53 PM
"Leaving out defense and base running."

And if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle, what's your point? Why would we conveniently leave out these important aspects of the game? Unless of course, Adam Dunn got hired for what he's actually useful for, which would be a DH.

the point is most people compare hitters on hitting. In the AL and in a DH situation all you have is hitting and baserunning, and Agon isn't a gazelle either, so then it would come down to hitting.

Never mind the "artistry" of Ichiro, hitting alone (the key thing for LF, RF, DH, 1B, and to a large extent 3B) Dunn is more productive then Ichiro period. So yes, comparing the hitting of Agon vs Dunn is legitimate. Take off the mask if you cannot see that clearly.

bagwell368
11-03-2009, 10:54 PM
That would be a great point if they were competing in a home run derby.

my point is legitimate see previous post and following post.

bagwell368
11-03-2009, 11:09 PM
That's sort of a convenient argument, Baggs. You can't overlook defense when comparing players. If they were both DH'es, sure...but they're not.

In the AL Dunn would be a DH, would he not? Why is he even in the NL? His utility is with a bat, not a glove.

Last year I argued to sign him for 3 years at $34M as a cost effective alternative for the Sox instead of Tex. I had him at DH with Ortiz moved, or Dunn at 1B with a little action at DH/PH to keep him off the field if we didn't move Ortiz.

Things have changed a bit, and the stand in for him would be Nick Johnson - less SLG, more OBP then Dunn, better 1B, but often gets hurt.

I have written hundreds of posts of why/how Agon could/should be dealt to Boston - started more then six months ago. Therefore I am quite aware that: Agon >> Dunn overall, but in context with Dunn brought in last year - for Boston the math would be different.

Dunn in the OF is just an awful situation, look at his WAR - he had a fine offensive year and tossed it away, which is what I said, ignore his D because it can be in many contexts, not because I'm some blind Dunn fan.

ƇħąƦġƐř§
11-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Agon should be a padre forever, which is why the pads will trade him for a bunch of young kids who may or may not pan out, sucks.

Imperial
11-04-2009, 12:44 AM
the point is most people compare hitters on hitting. In the AL and in a DH situation all you have is hitting and baserunning, and Agon isn't a gazelle either, so then it would come down to hitting.

Never mind the "artistry" of Ichiro, hitting alone (the key thing for LF, RF, DH, 1B, and to a large extent 3B) Dunn is more productive then Ichiro period. So yes, comparing the hitting of Agon vs Dunn is legitimate. Take off the mask if you cannot see that clearly.

First of all, there's no way A-Gon would be a DH. He's a good defensive 1B, so that DH argument isn't relevant. Second of all, even if both of them played in the AL and were DH's, A-Gon's better base running would still factor in. Third of all, even if they were both designated hitters who didn't ever run the bases, A-Gon's ability to play above average defense at a position would give him more versatility than Dunn and hence give him even more value.

As for your Ichiro vs. Dunn point, have you had a few too many drinks today or something? That's just ridiculous. You can't compare a decent OF's value to a should-be DH's value by only using hitting stats.

And please tell me you didn't just discuss the values of A-Gon, Ichiro and Dunn without discussion fielding or baserunning and then say that it's the OTHER person that's not seeing clearly. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bags, I usually respect your opinion even if I disagree with it. But this is the weakest argument I've ever seen you make.

Imperial
11-04-2009, 12:48 AM
In the AL Dunn would be a DH, would he not? Why is he even in the NL? His utility is with a bat, not a glove.

Last year I argued to sign him for 3 years at $34M as a cost effective alternative for the Sox instead of Tex. I had him at DH with Ortiz moved, or Dunn at 1B with a little action at DH/PH to keep him off the field if we didn't move Ortiz.

Things have changed a bit, and the stand in for him would be Nick Johnson - less SLG, more OBP then Dunn, better 1B, but often gets hurt.

I have written hundreds of posts of why/how Agon could/should be dealt to Boston - started more then six months ago. Therefore I am quite aware that: Agon >> Dunn overall, but in context with Dunn brought in last year - for Boston the math would be different.

Dunn in the OF is just an awful situation, look at his WAR - he had a fine offensive year and tossed it away, which is what I said, ignore his D because it can be in many contexts, not because I'm some blind Dunn fan.

Now I get why you're arguing Dunn is valuable. You have a beef because you thought your favorite team should have signed Dunn, everyone else disagreed with you and then Dunn had a bad year so you feel like you have to prove yoursself.

N.Z's #1 Dodger
11-04-2009, 01:18 AM

What are you even talking about? The original post you quoted was "Adrian is way better than Dunn will ever be." And your counter was discount defense and base running, and Dunn is just as good? We'll, in baseball if a player can play a position well defensively, and hit better than his weak defensive peer, he is in fact a better baseball player.

BTownTeamsRKing
11-04-2009, 01:21 AM

I would love him out of the NL West though, that's for sure.

we are still trying to fill the manny/papi void.

we CANNOT go into next season with youk batting clean up.

Imperial
11-04-2009, 01:31 AM
What are you even talking about? The original post you quoted was "Adrian is way better than Dunn will ever be." And your counter was discount defense and base running, and Dunn is just as good? We'll, in baseball if a player can play a position well defensively, and hit better than his weak defensive peer, he is in fact a better baseball player.

I usually respect Bags and what he has to say. I like the same team he does. But in this case you couldn't be more correct. Bagwell is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off on this one.

N.Z's #1 Dodger
11-04-2009, 01:33 AM

That's true, you guys will probably make a strong play for someone like Gonzo. What Heath Bell has to do with it though, **** knows. What an ex Sox executive will have to do with it, all depends if the Red Sox put together the best package. Everyone is talking as if he's going to fall into their laps no matter what.

In saying that, I've watched the guy play for years. He would crush it in Boston.

Imperial
11-04-2009, 01:45 AM
That's true, you guys will probably make a strong play for someone like Gonzo. What Heath Bell has to do with it though, **** knows. What an ex Sox executive will have to do with it, all depends if the Red Sox put together the best package. Everyone is talking as if he's going to fall into their laps no matter what.

In saying that, I've watched the guy play for years. He would crush it in Boston.

I spend a lot of time in the Sox forum, and the vast majority of fans would agree with your statements that I bolded.

infernoscurse
11-04-2009, 02:37 AM
NY Post - 11-04-09
The yankees have sent rookie sensation Brien Taylor to San Diego for slugger Adrian Gonzalez.

John Heyman - Twitter
Sources indicate that the Brien Taylor swap for Adrian Gonzalez is on hold until the World Series is Over.

Keith Law ESPN-
Several General managers are upset at the idea that the padres gave away Adrian to the yankees fora rookie sensation who busted his arm.

YankeesblogAAA-
A quote from Kei Igawa states that he is relieved that Brien taylor is out of NY so he can claim the number 1 lefthander pitching bust title

ccspence8
11-04-2009, 03:19 AM

Thank You :clap:

ccspence8
11-04-2009, 03:23 AM
NY Post - 11-04-09
The yankees have sent rookie sensation Brien Taylor to San Diego for slugger Adrian Gonzalez.

John Heyman - Twitter
Sources indicate that the Brien Taylor swap for Adrian Gonzalez is on hold until the World Series is Over.

Keith Law ESPN-
Several General managers are upset at the idea that the padres gave away Adrian to the yankees fora rookie sensation who busted his arm.

YankeesblogAAA-
A quote from Kei Igawa states that he is relieved that Brien taylor is out of NY so he can claim the number 1 lefthander pitching bust title

You guys already bought ur way to the WS this yr with the top 3 FA..at least leave us a ****in trade lol. Your probably gonna end up with Holliday and another big pitcher...so yeah leave us to Gonzalez & Mauer and we'll call it even.

bagwell368
11-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Now I get why you're arguing Dunn is valuable. You have a beef because you thought your favorite team should have signed Dunn, everyone else disagreed with you and then Dunn had a bad year so you feel like you have to prove yoursself.

Interesting, lots of people took the time to understand my arguments and agreed with me. Do some research before you assert "everyone else disagreed", otherwise you look ignorant or like a 13 year old with no friends trying to score points.

But more interesting yet, is you - who constantly bleats about how rough I am in the forums is trying ascribe motives? Did you ever consider that your whiny, better then thou routine, brings you what you say you do not want? And yet, less then a week ago you were asking me for an "atta boy" in the Red Sox forum - how telling.

KingPapelbon
11-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Looks to me like Heath Bell is hoping that if a trade is consummated that he'd be involved and headed to Boston as well.

Bo Sox Fan
11-04-2009, 12:02 PM
If we're going to lose Billy Wagner to free agency I wouldn't mind picking up Heath Bell as another bullpen option in the future Gonzalez trade. And by the way Gonzalez is 10 times better than Adam Dumb because he doesn't strike out every second at bat... stay thirsty my friends

DaSox_05
11-04-2009, 12:47 PM
What Heath Bell meant to say was Adrian Gonzalez would be a great fit with the Chicago White Sox. To reunite with former teammates Jake Peavy and Scott Linebrink. :up:

infernoscurse
11-04-2009, 12:49 PM
You guys already bought ur way to the WS this yr with the top 3 FA..at least leave us a ****in trade lol. Your probably gonna end up with Holliday and another big pitcher...so yeah leave us to Gonzalez & Mauer and we'll call it even.

no way, we need a superstar in CF and RF
and we might trade for adrian gonzalez just to have a superstart as the bat boy or water boy, we might sign holliday and bay and lackey and i heard we are trading for king felix and greinke

donnie23
11-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Wouldn't Boston be less inclined to trade with their former employee? You won't be able to fool (like the Indians) him into thinking that the players you send are worth a damn, when they are not. He knows the spects and will want top talent.

Pinstripe pride
11-04-2009, 01:33 PM
i'm sure gonzalez would be perfect in a lot of places

uchiha
11-04-2009, 01:40 PM
lol Heath Bell says that Adrian Gonzalez would be good as a Red Sox... hella newsworthy

NCBoSoxfan21
11-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Wouldn't Boston be less inclined to trade with their former employee? You won't be able to fool (like the Indians) him into thinking that the players you send are worth a damn, when they are not. He knows the spects and will want top talent.

Tell me how we fooled the Indians? Is this about the V-Mart trade, because a lot of us feel like we overpayed for that.

davg31
11-04-2009, 01:59 PM
The Padres might as well join the line of teams who let their top players go to the Red Sox and get a prospect or 2 with end of the rotation at tops potential

Chan790
11-04-2009, 02:59 PM
davg31: Um...you can't take a cab anywhere in NYC for $5 (literally with pick-up fee that'd be like 4 blocks), a ticket on the NYC subway costs $2.25 each way unless you have a monthly pass for $89 (which pretty much every NYCer does) and any ticket to Yankee Stadium will set you back a lot more than $30. So...that's some funny math right there.

/I'm down to criticism of sig-lines...cause I'm from Brooklyn and that's how we roll.

donnie23
11-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Tell me how we fooled the Indians? Is this about the V-Mart trade, because a lot of us feel like we overpayed for that.

That's because we always over-rate our own prospects. Where was the impact player? Where was the Matt LaPorta?

JOSKOMANG4
11-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Mets will make a big push for Adrian Gonzalez.

Padres would want the trade that they turned down for the Blue Jays.. So in the end.. he'll be wit the Mets.

I hope so:rolleyes:

ritz
11-04-2009, 03:47 PM
If we're going to lose Billy Wagner to free agency I wouldn't mind picking up Heath Bell as another bullpen option in the future Gonzalez trade. And by the way Gonzalez is 10 times better than Adam Dumb because he doesn't strike out every second at bat... stay thirsty my friends

Kudos on that ending.

Bo Sox Fan
11-04-2009, 04:22 PM
no way, we need a superstar in CF and RF
and we might trade for adrian gonzalez just to have a superstart as the bat boy or water boy, we might sign holliday and bay and lackey and i heard we are trading for king felix and greinke

thats how talented the yankees are, let other teams breed all-stars then you guys buy em, you must be real smart baseball people

N.Z's #1 Dodger
11-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Interesting, lots of people took the time to understand my arguments and agreed with me. Do some research before you assert "everyone else disagreed", otherwise you look ignorant or like a 13 year old with no friends trying to score points.

But more interesting yet, is you - who constantly bleats about how rough I am in the forums is trying ascribe motives? Did you ever consider that your whiny, better then thou routine, brings you what you say you do not want? And yet, less then a week ago you were asking me for an "atta boy" in the Red Sox forum - how telling.

You showed him buddy. You win five internetz.

Newsflash!

James Loney says the Dodgers need an ace.

Thread coming soon.

Seriously, do we need a Heath Bell section where everything the mighty one says gets posted? He is the internets new Chuck Norris.

natepro
11-04-2009, 05:13 PM
And by the way Gonzalez is 10 times better than Adam Dumb because he doesn't strike out every second at bat...

Is Gonzalez a better overall player? Yes. Is this the reason why? Holy ****, no. :laugh2:

gcoll
11-04-2009, 05:13 PM
The Padres might as well join the line of teams who let their top players go to the Red Sox and get a prospect or 2 with end of the rotation at tops potential
Right. Like when the Marlins got Hanley Ramirez from us.

MooseWithFleas
11-04-2009, 05:24 PM
I hope A-gon comes out and says "Bell perfect for Boston"

stripersniper77
11-04-2009, 05:34 PM
As far as Adam Dunn goes he's been one of the most consistent players over the last 6 years, he came 2 hrs short of 6 straight years with 40 hrs and 100 rbi's although he only had 92 rbi's in 2006. And though he strikes out alot it not because he's not patient because in that same timeframe he's always been top 10 in walks. His current career opb is higher than A-Gons as is his slugging. And though Dunn isnt even a decent fielder he's just as good of a hitter and has been much longer. So if the question was who'd I, as the red sox would trade for, it'd be Dunn, give up less prospects, pay him less than A-Gon will get when he resigns, play him at DH and get the same offensive numbers. Then you could use all those prospects you saved to get joe mauer and move v-mart to 1st and youk to third.

N.Z's #1 Dodger
11-04-2009, 05:46 PM
I hope A-gon comes out and says "Bell perfect for Boston"

:laugh::laugh:

ccspence8
11-04-2009, 08:10 PM
That's because we always over-rate our own prospects. Where was the impact player? Where was the Matt LaPorta?

Name someone we have overrated besides Craig Hansen...u can't name one, or they're still a prospect like Lars Anderson.

StevenStrasburg
11-04-2009, 09:47 PM

Hahahahaha, no thanks, I don't want to give up Strasburg+.
Oh my god, imagine how good he'd be in PETCO, jesus......

:laugh: Just like Dunn is and is now rumoured to be traded a year later.
Dunn's probably not going to be traded. DC improved from 641 runs scored in 2008 to 710 in 2009--undoubtedly Dunn was the primary factor in that, not to mention the catalyst for Ryan Zimmerman's emergence into national attention. Zimmerman finally got the protection he needed. Unless Chris Marrero is tearing up the high minors by the deadline next year, I don't think Dunn will be traded. He likes washington, he's a good fit for the team, IMO he'll stay here; signing an extension is more likely than being traded concerning Dunn.

StevenStrasburg
11-04-2009, 09:54 PM

No, because it always changes.

For example, last year Lars Anderson was the Sox #1 prospect, whilst Ryan Kalish was somewhere in the top 20.
This year, Kalish is arguably in the top 5 while Anderson's value has taken a hit due to a poor year.

The value one year fluctuates with the next--it's not constant. So while Hoyer may have more knowledge about the Sox farm system than, say, Mike Rizzo, it's not damning knowledge.

As for 'fooling' the Indians; Nick Hagadone is a very good left hander, of a Jon Lester-type. Not saying he will be Jon Lester, just using a comparison.

Really? Because I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. For example, the Phillies acquisition of Lee looks very lopsided, I believe the players they got in return are not preforming AT ALL. And the Mets, they were the ones who got Santana--how're Gomez and Humber looking? (How are Lester, Buchholz, Ellsbury, Crisp, Lowrie, Masterson, etc looking in comparison? No, I know they all weren't part of one package, they were all mentioned though in seperate ones). And the Hanley Ramirez deal?

Right. Like when the Marlins got Hanley Ramirez from us.
:clap::clap:

As far as Adam Dunn goes he's been one of the most consistent players over the last 6 years, he came 2 hrs short of 6 straight years with 40 hrs and 100 rbi's although he only had 92 rbi's in 2006. And though he strikes out alot it not because he's not patient because in that same timeframe he's always been top 10 in walks. His current career opb is higher than A-Gons as is his slugging. And though Dunn isnt even a decent fielder he's just as good of a hitter and has been much longer. So if the question was who'd I, as the red sox would trade for, it'd be Dunn, give up less prospects, pay him less than A-Gon will get when he resigns, play him at DH and get the same offensive numbers. Then you could use all those prospects you saved to get joe mauer and move v-mart to 1st and youk to third.

Adam Dunn is one hell of a baseball player, a true DH, one hell of an offensive baseball player.

bagwell368
11-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Please keep your personal soap opera out of the MLB Forum.

Happy to comply, son.

Then I got curious and checked out your posts: music, your TV size, picking on Giants fans, and lots of opinions - mostly given in a snarky tone. But no beef, where is the beef? Take your own advice before you hand it out, Mr. Perveyor of no content and gasbag opinions.

Content: Someone said Dunn sucked, and he does not, not in all contexts he doesn't. That was my original point, and its as true today as yesterday. Don't tread on me, and you won't get any soap opera - son.

Imperial
11-04-2009, 11:49 PM

What does ANY of this have to do with the topic at hand? :laugh:

I'm not even going to comment on all bull you just spew about me but if you have a private issue with me, please PM me. Don't ruin decent threads with your personal vendettas.

Imperial
11-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Happy to comply, son.

Then I got curious and checked out your posts: music, your TV size, picking on Giants fans, and lots of opinions - mostly given in a snarky tone. But no beef, where is the beef? Take your own advice before you hand it out, Mr. Perveyor of no content and gasbag opinions.

Content: Someone said Dunn sucked, and he does not, not in all contexts he doesn't. That was my original point, and its as true today as yesterday. Don't tread on me, and you won't get any soap opera - son.

You just said you're happy to quit your soap opera and then you attacked the person for posting about music and TV? Can you PLEASE relegate your personal vendettas to the PM's and stop derailing serious baseball threads?

Imperial
11-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Name someone we have overrated besides Craig Hansen...u can't name one, or they're still a prospect like Lars Anderson.

I'm a Red Sox fan, but I could think of a few.

Daisuke Matsuzaka
Michael Bowden
Sueng Song
Tony Blanco
Dernell Stenson
Brian Rose
Carl Pavano