PDA

View Full Version : Iverson livid with Grizzlies' bench role

SteveNash
11-03-2009, 11:43 AM
"I had no problems (with the hamstring)," Iverson said afterward. "I had a problem with my butt from sitting on that bench so long. That's the only thing I got a problem with."

"Yeah, I'll be disappointed (if he's a sub this season)," Iverson said. "I'm not a reserve basketball player. I've never been a reserve all my life and I'm not going to start looking at myself as a reserve. ... To answer the question, 'No, I'm not a bench player. I'm not a sixth man. Go look at my resume and that will show you I'm not a sixth man."

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/11/03/iverson-returns-unhappy-about-role/?ncid=txtlnkusspor00000002

Iverson never got it and he never will.

Coming a game after Mayo and Gay got into it: http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/nov/01/anthony-leads-nuggets-past-memphis-grizzlies-and-m/

Most people figured Memphis would be a disaster this season, looks like the wheels are already coming off. Shame because they have some solid talent in Conley/Mayo/Randolph/Gasol.

Gators123
11-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Iverson *****ing? yeah right.

Becks2307
11-03-2009, 11:48 AM
hahah i cant believe he said that...oh wait i can

he is tarnishing his legacy

Brew Crew
11-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Why do teams sign guys like this? It'd be great if every manager could just watch him whine in his baby crib...

theimortalone
11-03-2009, 12:08 PM
I knew this was going to happen. He should have just signed with Charlotte. They are in need of a starting Shooting Guard.

bahama0811
11-03-2009, 12:10 PM
And so it begins... It was only a matter of time. He would've been better off retiring.

KnicksorBust
11-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Iverson's an idiot for not knowing he's going to be benched and the Grizz are idiots for signing Allen Iverson and trying to bench him.

black1605
11-03-2009, 12:11 PM
trade him to Charlotte

canada boy
11-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Iverson has a right to be pissed. Hes still capable of dropping 20 + a game and he played like 11 minutes.

BTownTeamsRKing
11-03-2009, 12:18 PM
AI deserves all the misery he gets in memphis. he could have gone to any of 5 elite teams comming off the bench. any of them would have taken him as a back up PG.

nope he chose MONEY and MEMPHIS. have fun AI. bet you wish u were a Celtics or Laker or Cav now?

LionBryan
11-03-2009, 12:20 PM
You could see this coming a mile away. That team has so much invested in OJ Mayo, and rightfully so. He's a great young player. Apparently Iverson is the only person in the world who did not know this. You can't start him at PG either because it's team suicide.

Lakerfrk
11-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Iverson has a right to be pissed. Hes still capable of dropping 20 + a game and he played like 11 minutes.

He has NO right to be pissed... he KNEW he would be a 6th man when he signed.... because he wanted to start and no other team would talk to him.. so he signed with memphis. 3 games into the season he complains? Just suspend him for comments detrimental to the team...

Pierzynski4Prez
11-03-2009, 12:32 PM
He has NO right to be pissed... he KNEW he would be a 6th man when he signed.... because he wanted to start and no other team would talk to him.. so he signed with memphis. 3 games into the season he complains? Just suspend him for comments detrimental to the team...

Exactly. You are a SG. You sign with a team that has a guy who was drafted 3rd a year ago already at SG. What did he think was going to happen? They were going to delay Mayo's progression so AI could drop his 25 every night while they lose probably?

Raph12
11-03-2009, 12:37 PM
I called it a terrible situation before it began, before he was signed, before he was talked to... the Grizz don't need another scorer on the starting lineup. Charlotte is desperate for one, they need to get a trade done...

mrblisterdundee
11-03-2009, 12:40 PM

He played 17 minutes and dropped 10 points. Maybe if he played 34-40 minutes per game he could drop 20.

rjvacad
11-03-2009, 12:50 PM
He never has been or will he ever be a team player.

Pierzynski4Prez
11-03-2009, 12:57 PM
He never has been or will he ever be a team player.

Me-first attitude, which is why he will never win a title.

bogdanrom
11-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Something is wrong. I seriously doubt that Iverson and his agent would not discussion Iverson's role in the team, especially after what happened in Detroit. If Memphis really thought Iverson would be happy with a bench role, then they had this coming. I'm not blaming anyone yet, but this is going to be fun to watch.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Here we go

EGOs:facepalm:

icon1914
11-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Well I think Iverson has a point. Who is he backing up? Conley? Conley is not showing that he deserves to start. The only reason he got the spot is because the front office, along with the coach, know that he plays better in the starting lineup, he plays better with starter minutes... but he does not really thrive in that role. Conley only puts up decent numbers and has yet to develop into the player people want him to become.

If the Grizz want to be more effective they should start Iverson and make Conley earn his spot, but they are not going to do that because it might hurt the growth of Conley... they will instead keep Conley in the starting lineup so they can develop him as the point gaurd of the future... Memphis should have thought about all of this before they went after Iverson... but Iverson should have thought it though as well.

Anyone with any sense knew Memphis would end up a mess this year... It would have been nice to prove everyone wrong, but its not looking that way... but who knows.

IRUAM #21
11-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Iverson > Conley

lakerssssssss
11-03-2009, 01:10 PM
I completely agree with Iverson. He started for the All star team last year, and all of a sudden he can't start on the lowly Memphis Grizzlies. Give me a break.

Raph12
11-03-2009, 01:14 PM
He played 17 minutes and dropped 10 points. Maybe if he played 34-40 minutes per game he could drop 20.

He dropped 11 and two of those minutes were in garbage time when they were beaten in overtime. Iverson worked without the ball and only took shots they gave him. Put the ball in his hands, let others play off him and then the Grizz will have some real success.

Wiz kids
11-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Some people never change.

ko8e24
11-03-2009, 01:16 PM
here we go again :facepalm:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-03-2009, 01:17 PM
I completely agree with Iverson. He started for the All star team last year, and all of a sudden he can't start on the lowly Memphis Grizzlies. Give me a break.

Yao without legs would still start for the Western conference all-star team!

So what's your point???:confused:

LionBryan
11-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Allen Iverson is a shooting guard.

BigEric
11-03-2009, 01:24 PM

4 out of 5 players in their starting lineup can score 20+ points. Scoring isn't what the team needs, it's a veteran leadership, which Iverson clearly isn't bringing.

lakerssssssss
11-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Yao without legs would still start for the Western conference all-star team!

So what's your point???:confused:
My point is Iverson is an all star player. Nobody would have even entertained the possibility of him playing on the bench if it weren't for last season(the whole mess with detroit).
As for the season with Detroit, it was not Iverson's fault. It was the coach's fault. Richard Hamilton came out recently and said that.

Iverson is still capable of playing at an all star level, so he is right in saying that he should start.

One final thing: For those people that say he is not a team player, as yourself this. Would the superstar on your team ever accept a bench role? I seriously doubt any superstrar would accept a bench role even if they have declined dramatically(which iverson hasn't).Just imagine what would have happened if the Wizards put Jodan on the bench.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-03-2009, 01:27 PM
I knew iverson would come off the bench at the begening...

-He went thru half of the teams training camp
-played 0 pre-season games

Therefor still learning the offense, getting in the rotation, He checked into the game last night before Marcus Williams, after MW played half decent in Denver a couple nights ago.

AI will eventually crack the starting lineup. He has every reason to be mad. He barley played last night.

Sportfan
11-03-2009, 01:29 PM
AI can put up 40/20 easy. Memphis GM is a ****** for not starting him. He's easily their best player and their just putting him on the bench. :facepalm: pathetic

kidding

Litchris12
11-03-2009, 01:29 PM
wel we all knew this when he got signed. there's no surprise there. he is a selfish player and is basically a marbury type of player. this guy sucks and that pure and simple

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-03-2009, 01:31 PM
4 out of 5 players in their starting lineup can score 20+ points. Scoring isn't what the team needs, it's a veteran leadership, which Iverson clearly isn't bringing.

oh yea? He's "clearly" not bringing that after 1 game? your quite sure of that?

God damn you AI haters are clowns.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-03-2009, 01:34 PM
wel we all knew this when he got signed. there's no surprise there. he is a selfish player and is basically a marbury type of player. this guy sucks and that pure and simple

:laugh:
and please dont ever compare AI to Marbury.

Strumpy
11-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Didn't we all see this coming the instant he signed the contract?

Unruly Fan
11-03-2009, 01:58 PM
I forsaw this happening several months ago.

GodsSon
11-03-2009, 02:00 PM
shoulda just gone to Europe

rick66ankiel24
11-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Why do teams sign guys like this? It'd be great if every manager could just watch him whine in his baby crib...

i was pissed when the heat didnt sign him.. but now i see why haha

fairandbalanced
11-03-2009, 02:18 PM

why do teams keep signing "washed up" Terrel Owens?

JWO35
11-03-2009, 02:18 PM
If he didn't want to come off the bench for the Pistons, why would he do it for the Grizzlies...he should come off the bench because at this point of his career the guy starting at SG(OJ Mayo) is better than him.

Within the next month or so, he will fake a back injury.

JordansBulls
11-03-2009, 02:19 PM
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/11/03/iverson-returns-unhappy-about-role/?ncid=txtlnkusspor00000002

Iverson never got it and he never will.

Coming a game after Mayo and Gay got into it: http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/nov/01/anthony-leads-nuggets-past-memphis-grizzlies-and-m/

Most people figured Memphis would be a disaster this season, looks like the wheels are already coming off. Shame because they have some solid talent in Conley/Mayo/Randolph/Gasol.

He should have just came to the Bulls or gone to a team like Portland

bigvdebo86
11-03-2009, 02:36 PM
iverson got a right to be mad he only played 17 minutes are you serious

Slimsim
11-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Can someone say Cancer poor grizzle there Chemistry going to b messed up but at least they get more Media time

HiphopRelated
11-03-2009, 02:40 PM
where was he starting on the Bulls?

CityofTreez
11-03-2009, 02:40 PM
I hated Iverson after he refused to play for the Pistons in the playoffs because he was used as a bench player. Oh wait, he had a lingering foot/hand injury!

Pathetic player who spells Team with an "I"

ivylleague1'
11-03-2009, 02:49 PM

Iverson can start for every team in the NBA. He is that great!!!

Chronz
11-03-2009, 02:52 PM

I love it when AI supporters prove themselves to be totally devoid of any sensible train of thought. Yes AI started on the All-Star team, great point, if it had been the COACHES who elected him to start for the team, instead its the idiocy of the general population that got him there. AI making the All-Star game doesnt make him an All-Star

Well I think Iverson has a point. Who is he backing up? Conley? Conley is not showing that he deserves to start. The only reason he got the spot is because the front office, along with the coach, know that he plays better in the starting lineup, he plays better with starter minutes... but he does not really thrive in that role. Conley only puts up decent numbers and has yet to develop into the player people want him to become.

If the Grizz want to be more effective they should start Iverson and make Conley earn his spot, but they are not going to do that because it might hurt the growth of Conley... they will instead keep Conley in the starting lineup so they can develop him as the point gaurd of the future... Memphis should have thought about all of this before they went after Iverson... but Iverson should have thought it though as well.

Anyone with any sense knew Memphis would end up a mess this year... It would have been nice to prove everyone wrong, but its not looking that way... but who knows.

I disagree with everything you said, Conley > AI at the Point, **** Conley is probably a better player overall.

Chronz
11-03-2009, 03:02 PM
My point is Iverson is an all star player. Nobody would have even entertained the possibility of him playing on the bench if it weren't for last season(the whole mess with detroit).
As for the season with Detroit, it was not Iverson's fault. It was the coach's fault. Richard Hamilton came out recently and said that.

Iverson is still capable of playing at an all star level, so he is right in saying that he should start.

One final thing: For those people that say he is not a team player, as yourself this. Would the superstar on your team ever accept a bench role? I seriously doubt any superstrar would accept a bench role even if they have declined dramatically(which iverson hasn't).Just imagine what would have happened if the Wizards put Jodan on the bench.

MJ BENCHED HIMSELF. He began his Washington career as the 6th man, its a role he wanted to embrace. It was only until it proved to be counterproductive for the team did he join the starting lineup. AI doesnt have that option as he has clearly superior players in front of him.

Chronz
11-03-2009, 03:05 PM

Yea Marbury could atleast shoot and play off a post presence.

Chronz
11-03-2009, 03:06 PM
What makes you think those teams want him?

He had 5 options, NY/LAC/CHA/MEM/MIA

ivylleague1'
11-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Jordanbulls, I always like to read your posts. They are mostly of high quality. Chronz is very anti Iverson !!!!

Gibby23
11-03-2009, 03:17 PM
I thought the Grizz had a meeting with him and told him what his role would be before they offered a contract.

AI4MVP
11-03-2009, 03:18 PM
well he was ballin for them and keeping them in the game in the second half ten they benched him at the end of the 4th and overtime and they ended up losing by 11 to the kings in overtime. maybe listen to one of the greatest scoreres in nba history and let him carry you on his back and see where it goes. hes still capbale of doing it. **** the haters

SteveNash
11-03-2009, 03:21 PM
I called it a terrible situation before it began, before he was signed, before he was talked to... the Grizz don't need another scorer on the starting lineup. Charlotte is desperate for one, they need to get a trade done...

Larry Brown doesn't want to deal with him anymore.

Iverson was playing for Memphis less than a week when he went down with his hamstring injury he only started playing with the team recently. When Iverson signed he said he'd have to earn his spot, what has AI shown to Memphis that makes you believe he's earned his spot?

Iverson couldn't keep up with Mateen Cleaves what makes you think he can be better than Conley?

Yes, it's an insult to Marbury who was more of a team player than AI when actually accepted a bench role with the Celtics.

Gibby23
11-03-2009, 03:22 PM
well he was ballin for them and keeping them in the game in the second half ten they benched him at the end of the 4th and overtime and they ended up losing by 11 to the kings in overtime. maybe listen to one of the greatest scoreres in nba history and let him carry you on his back and see where it goes. hes still capbale of doing it. **** the haters

It' not his team. he is a 1 year rental and they probabbly thought they could trade him at the deadline for a draft pick.

AI4MVP
you guys are all disrepectful haters. hes one of the greatest players of all time. yeh hes at the end of his career and hes not what heused to be. players becme a little less reliable to maybe a liability to there teams when they get old. why isnt anyone talking **** about shaq?

iverson gets hated on more then any other player in the league. maybe even more then marbury

Shaq
Duncan
Kobe
Garnett
Iverson

hes the fifth best player of this past era(era that doesnt include melo, bron, wade)

show some respect and stop hating becasue at some point or another iverson dropped 40+ on ur team

you guys keep hating because he cant produce winners. dude literally carried a team all the way to the finals just by himself. i guarantee if you swapped kobe for AI in the shaq-kobe years they still woulda three-peated.

ProdigyI
****ing Grizzlies are ******** for not starting Iverson. They're **** the ****ing Grizzlies. They're also ******** for not starting Thabeet and giving him 25 minutes a game. He's not going to learn on the bench.

Grizzlies are a joke. Iverson deserves better

AI4MVP
11-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Yes, it's an insult to Marbury who was more of a team player than AI when actually accepted a bench role with the Celtics.

ur honestly the biggest joke ive ever seen if u honestly believe marbury was better on or off the court then iverson. in anyway possible. on the court playing, on the court attitude, off the court. anything

Marbury couldnt even be Iversons official asswiper

Hellcrooner
11-03-2009, 03:26 PM
man.....

if th4 grizz could cut iverson and then trade gay and randolph for prince and kwame they woudl make the playoffs,

mayo and gasol and more than enough to score the ball and those two could deffende

Hellcrooner
11-03-2009, 03:27 PM
****ing Grizzlies are ******** for not starting Iverson. They're **** the ****ing Grizzlies. They're also ******** for not starting Thabeet and giving him 25 minutes a game. He's not going to learn on the bench.

oh yeah lets start thabeet over a dude that is averaging 19 ppg on 9 shots poer game and geting 12, 5 rebounds.

gr4eat idea

JordansBulls
11-03-2009, 03:29 PM

At SG.

ProdigyI
11-03-2009, 03:38 PM
oh yeah lets start thabeet over a dude that is averaging 19 ppg on 9 shots poer game and geting 12, 5 rebounds.

gr4eat idea

Iverson
Mayo
Gay
Gasol
Thabeet

HiphopRelated
11-03-2009, 03:39 PM
At SG.
and you'd have Salmons b1tching...he's no bench fan either

Hellcrooner
11-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Iverson
Mayo
Gay
Gasol
Thabeet

ra ndolph is doing a great job too

bleedprple&gold
11-03-2009, 03:45 PM
If Iverson was willing to accept a bench role, he would have signed with a contender. If he was told he would be guaranteed a starting spot with the Grizzlies then I can see why he would be upset, but to my knowledge he was never told that, so what does he expect? He could be playing the same type of role on a much better team and competing for a championship. If he wanted starter's minutes he should have gone to Charlotte. The whole Memphis-Iverson signing never made sense from the start...

junion
11-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Iverson can start for every team in the NBA. He is that great!!!

omg! thats so 2002

junion
11-03-2009, 03:53 PM
yes iverson can score like crazy, but you put in in a line up, and you slow down every other player's development. ai is selfish and always has been.

when he went to the grizzlies, i thought he hit that veteran line where they decide that they will accept a lower role so that the younger players can develop... i was fooling myself

NiTEFuRY
11-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Did anyone really doubt this would happen?

Chronz
11-03-2009, 04:00 PM
you guys are all disrepectful haters. hes one of the greatest players of all time. yeh hes at the end of his career and hes not what heused to be. players becme a little less reliable to maybe a liability to there teams when they get old. why isnt anyone talking **** about shaq?
We're waiting for Shaq to deserve it, Shaq readily acknowledges his place at this point in his career and has said and done all the right things in Cleveland. AI is the exact opposite, he still thinks hes a star

iverson gets hated on more then any other player in the league. maybe even more then marbury

Shaq
Duncan
Kobe
Garnett
Iverson

hes the fifth best player of this past era(era that doesnt include melo, bron, wade)

How old are you?

you guys keep hating because he cant produce winners. dude literally carried a team all the way to the finals just by himself. i guarantee if you swapped kobe for AI in the shaq-kobe years they still woulda three-peated.

Under 15?

How can you give minutes to a kid who doesnt know how to stay in the game? Thabeet isnt better than anyone ahead of him so why give him undeserved playing time? Grizz are dumb, but not for the reasons you gave. They are dumb for signing AI and expecting him to be a TEAM guy, and for trading for another me first guy in Z-Bo, yet even with him around, you know its sad when Z-Bo has been more of a team player than AI.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Yea Marbury could atleast shoot and play off a post presence.

Lol... just wow.... you obviously havent payed any attention to AI's career.

AI had 4 straight 40+ games as a rookie MArbury never did that
AI an MVP, not marbury...

I dont even need to argue with you. u dont know basketball if you honestly are comparing AI's and Marbury's career to be similar.

Reddd
11-03-2009, 04:14 PM
He should've gone to CHA or CHI, both in desperate need of a scorer. It's like stepping on a rake two times in a row, the outcome was so obvious after the contract signing, I guess everybody knew he will be again coming off the bench,I think he knew it too, he just ignored it.
But who knows, maybe they'll try him at the PG spot over Conley.

Seems to me he's all about the money after all.

AI4MVP
11-03-2009, 04:23 PM
You guys are all homers that just hate on Iverson.

What the **** did kobe do when Shaq left? Whered he take his lakers huh? Either a 8th seed first round exit or missing the playoffs. Iverson took his terrible team to an NBA Finals single handedly. If Iverson had as much help as Kobe did in his career he would have had just as many championships.

Im not saying Iverson is better then Kobe, because Kobe Bryant is prolly the best player ive ever seen, but Allen Iverson is the most misunderstood athlete in the history of professional sports.

Raidaz4Life
11-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Trade him to the Lakers

Iverson
Kobe
Artest
Pau
Bynum

*Superman*
11-03-2009, 04:31 PM
The reason he will never win a Championship. Sad with all the talent he has.

3RDASYSTEM
11-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Watup CHRONZ.. im old enough to know he's top 5 of his era, and im talking about the talent he played with in PHILLY compared to other Superstars talent during that span, he's like the only one who didnt have a legit STAR next to him his best yrs, and im not talking about old broken down back in the day STARS they put next to him...if you watched his games back in PHILLY the dude got JORDAN rules(especially in PLAYOFFS) ran on him on D pretty much every game and had no reliable option to pass it to, and not only that they would run all the sets thru him cuz of lack of 2nd/3rd/4th scorer, so he was the first 4 options on halfcourt sets, and thats all they ran pretty much under BROWN for 6 of his 10yrs in PHILLY,so for you guys keep saying all he did was overdribble and this and that i AGREE, its the C.PAUL/LEBRON effect,except AI was running off screens as where the ball is in PAUL/LEBRON hands alot... MUTOMBO was old when they acquired him and then they put in 3sec rule following year and he became totally useless cause all he used to do is camp in lane and block shots but new rule killed his career along with age....kind of reminds me of how this CURRY debacle in DET of coming off bench when he told AI/RIP in a closed door meeting that he would lean on them all yr just dont go to media and speak on it, so that pretty much sums it up for me...and i watched the game last nite and he was very hesitant overpassing the ball to S.HUNTER/RANDOLPH and others, then after few minutes start getting loose hitting jumpers and attacking,just like he was in DEN...how would you feel if you played 3 out of 24 minutes in the first half of a game and they signed you to take'em to playoffs,cant do much in that time...i dont care if you MJ and you can chose either one....and based on his resume in crunch time, he comes up big more times than not last time i checked, and in OT you want your best playmakers in, and if i had to go with AI/MAYO or CONLEY/MAYO with game on line im rolling with AI/MAYO every game no hesitation...i dont know what yall smokin on, but let me sell it...this is what like CONLEY 3rd/4th season, what do you guys expect from him..its like nowaday everybody builds STAR players except the player himself...he is what he is, some people say he is OK, some people say he is a BUST, i dont know what he is but i know hes no AI, even at 34 ..and he will start eventually, HOLLINS said that no way would he woulld thrust AI in starting lineup with no preseason and missed first 3 games, so they will ease him in lineup...but he should have played in OT no doubt about it

And for those that dont play ball and cant understand if a guy is under 6ft and is the only OFF. option the team has and he has to shoot over guys 6'6 and up and take on maybe 3/4 of'em each possession he will shoot a low fg pct..do you guys understand the difference between GARNETT shooting over AI ..and AI shooting over GARNETT, thats what he basically faced every game in PHILLY so how can you expect a guy to shoot a high pct when he has to shoot over trees and hes a undersized scoring guard getting triple teamed with no options no shooters around him no big man, he should have shot more like 20pct if you think about...you guys in here amaze me thinking yall know basketball and aint never played the game,not watch the game and think you SKIP, but actually play the game,get a actual feel for what is going on in games,but you can skip practice...just play hard, yo CHRONZ have you ever played a sport or you just pulling a SKIP

8kobe24
11-03-2009, 05:04 PM
No disrespect to AI, but his time has come and gone in the NBA. He needs to accept the role he is given, until he proves that he deserves to be in that starting line up. If he's looking for the glory days, then he should sign with some Euro team and dominate the league there. His rep in this league is gone, and no coach really wants to put up with his antics.

ko8e24
11-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Watup CHRONZ.. im old enough to know he's top 5 of his era, and im talking about the talent he played with in PHILLY compared to other Superstars talent during that span, he's like the only one who didnt have a legit STAR next to him his best yrs, and im not talking about old broken down back in the day STARS they put next to him...if you watched his games back in PHILLY the dude got JORDAN rules(especially in PLAYOFFS) ran on him on D pretty much every game and had no reliable option to pass it to, and not only that they would run all the sets thru him cuz of lack of 2nd/3rd/4th scorer, so he was the first 4 options on halfcourt sets, and thats all they ran pretty much under BROWN for 6 of his 10yrs in PHILLY,so for you guys keep saying all he did was overdribble and this and that i AGREE, its the C.PAUL/LEBRON effect,except AI was running off screens as where the ball is in PAUL/LEBRON hands alot... MUTOMBO was old when they acquired him and then they put in 3sec rule following year and he became totally useless cause all he used to do is camp in lane and block shots but new rule killed his career along with age....kind of reminds me of how this CURRY debacle in DET of coming off bench when he told AI/RIP in a closed door meeting that he would lean on them all yr just dont go to media and speak on it, so that pretty much sums it up for me...and i watched the game last nite and he was very hesitant overpassing the ball to S.HUNTER/RANDOLPH and others, then after few minutes start getting loose hitting jumpers and attacking,just like he was in DEN...how would you feel if you played 3 out of 24 minutes in the first half of a game and they signed you to take'em to playoffs,cant do much in that time...i dont care if you MJ and you can chose either one....and based on his resume in crunch time, he comes up big more times than not last time i checked, and in OT you want your best playmakers in, and if i had to go with AI/MAYO or CONLEY/MAYO with game on line im rolling with AI/MAYO every game no hesitation...i dont know what yall smokin on, but let me sell it...this is what like CONLEY 3rd/4th season, what do you guys expect from him..its like nowaday everybody builds STAR players except the player himself...he is what he is, some people say he is OK, some people say he is a BUST, i dont know what he is but i know hes no AI, even at 34 ..and he will start eventually, HOLLINS said that no way would he woulld thrust AI in starting lineup with no preseason and missed first 3 games, so they will ease him in lineup...but he should have played in OT no doubt about it

And for those that dont play ball and cant understand if a guy is under 6ft and is the only OFF. option the team has and he has to shoot over guys 6'6 and up and take on maybe 3/4 of'em each possession he will shoot a low fg pct..do you guys understand the difference between GARNETT shooting over AI ..and AI shooting over GARNETT, thats what he basically faced every game in PHILLY so how can you expect a guy to shoot a high pct when he has to shoot over trees and hes a undersized scoring guard getting triple teamed with no options no shooters around him no big man, he should have shot more like 20pct if you think about...you guys in here amaze me thinking yall know basketball and aint never played the game,not watch the game and think you SKIP, but actually play the game,get a actual feel for what is going on in games,but you can skip practice...just play hard, yo CHRONZ have you ever played a sport or you just pulling a SKIP

:sleep:

SteveNash
11-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Shaq
Duncan
Kobe
Garnett
Iverson

He's not even the 5th best player in his draft class.

Kobe
Nash
Allen
SAR
Fisher
Peja
'Toine

Yes, AI did that 8 years ago against a ****** Eastern conference, if he had the same team, he'd carry them to a first round exit this year. Guarantee Shaq and AI don't get along, AI wins no titles and never will.

You guys are all homers that just hate on Iverson.

What the **** did kobe do when Shaq left? Whered he take his lakers huh? Either a 8th seed first round exit or missing the playoffs. Iverson took his terrible team to an NBA Finals single handedly. If Iverson had as much help as Kobe did in his career he would have had just as many championships.

Im not saying Iverson is better then Kobe, because Kobe Bryant is prolly the best player ive ever seen, but Allen Iverson is the most misunderstood athlete in the history of professional sports.

Taking the Suns to the brink with Smush/Walton/Kwame starting is a better achievement than anything AI's done.

And I think most everyone understands AI quite clearly. He sucks, but he doesn't want to face the truth, eventually he'll get it through his head that he's no good.

Toenail Clipper
11-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Starters
PG - Iverson
SG - Mayo
SF - Gay
PF - Randolph
C - Gasol

Bench
PG - Conley
SG - Jaric
SF - Young/Carroll
PF - Arthur
C - Thabeet

What's wrong with starting Iverson?
Besides, this philosophy of being sixth man and "sparking" the bench is totally bogus.

sofargone
11-03-2009, 05:53 PM
iverson news is starting to piss me off

SteveNash
11-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Starters
PG - Iverson
SG - Mayo
SF - Gay
PF - Randolph
C - Gasol

Bench
PG - Conley
SG - Jaric
SF - Young/Carroll
PF - Arthur
C - Thabeet

What's wrong with starting Iverson?
Besides, this philosophy of being sixth man and "sparking" the bench is totally bogus.

Conley is better than him? Mayo's better than him? Conley/Mayo have upside while AI is done as a player. AI not fitting in at point guard, ever...

Yeah, it's pretty clear why he's not starting.

Toenail Clipper
11-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Conley is better than him? Mayo's better than him? Conley/Mayo have upside while AI is done as a player. AI not fitting in at point guard, ever...

Yeah, it's pretty clear why he's not starting.

Conley is not better than him. What makes you say that? Just because of one season in Detroit ruined AI? What's up with people hating on AI all of a sudden?

SteveNash
11-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Conley is not better than him. What makes you say that? Just because of one season in Detroit ruined AI? What's up with people hating on AI all of a sudden?

AI lost his step, everyone knew it was coming, a short player whose logged heavy minutes and has relied on his athleticism.

He lost a step, he's done, that's why Denver wanted to get rid of him before the rest of the league caught on.

AI couldn't keep up with Mateen Cleaves, his one shot at making any impact is to come off the bench, he's just too stupid to realize it.

Hellcrooner
11-03-2009, 06:10 PM
conley is moving the ball very well.

PLAYERS FAN
11-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Iverson just need to be patient!

PLAYERS FAN
11-03-2009, 09:56 PM
conley is moving the ball very well.

That's why it don't make no sense to start Iverson. It's better for the team that he come off the bench! Like Andre Miller is doing for Portland now.

DerekRE_3
11-03-2009, 09:56 PM

Talent wise Conley isn't better than him, but he's more of distributor. There isn't enough ball to go around if Mayo, AI, Gay, and Randolph are all on the floor at once. Being able to bring AI off the bench makes the most sense.

SA5195
11-03-2009, 10:07 PM
What goes around comes around.

He did this before, then after he got signed to Memphis, he said on his twitter and **** that he'll provide Memphis with his hard work or whatever, now he's doing the "i'm not a bench player" thing again.

:facepalm:

lakerssssssss
11-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Iverson averaged 26 points and 7 assists 2 years ago. Last year, in his worst year he still averaged 18 points and 6 assists.

b_rad23
11-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Why is he on the bench? They suck. They signed him now put him on the floor or trade him...

Trouble87
11-03-2009, 10:48 PM
he needs to man up and stop *****ing

he's a pro and he gets paid to fill w/e role his coach/team what him to

Chronz
11-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Iverson averaged 26 points and 7 assists 2 years ago. Last year, in his worst year he still averaged 18 points and 6 assists.
YOU need to learn to seperate your personal feelings about a person from his game.

Where did I say he didnt average whatever averages you put up there?

Chronz
11-03-2009, 11:40 PM

You again? I wont subject myself to the torture of refuting that incoherent post, just answer me one thing. How old is old enough? Cuz you obviously arent if you think hes top 5

ink
11-03-2009, 11:41 PM
hahah i cant believe he said that...oh wait i can

he is tarnishing his legacy

Or for those of us who have always been skeptical of I-verson, this is completely consistent with his legacy.

lakerssssssss
11-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Where did I say he didnt average whatever averages you put up there?

You still have not given me one good reason why you think that Iverson should not start.

I said he was on the all star team, you responded that the coaches did not pick him, the people did.

I then bring you stats to show that he is not on the decline of his career, and you responded by saying absolutely nothing.

Game_Over
11-04-2009, 02:04 AM
What are we talking about here? A backup? Not a starter, not a starter but a back up..

NetsPaint
11-04-2009, 02:22 AM
Iverson for MVP.

abe_froman
11-04-2009, 02:59 AM
why not start him,its not like they're going anywhere

..or at least trade to place that needs some points out of their starting guard

SteveNash
11-04-2009, 03:00 AM
You still have not given me one good reason why you think that Iverson should not start.

I said he was on the all star team, you responded that the coaches did not pick him, the people did.

I then bring you stats to show that he is not on the decline of his career, and you responded by saying absolutely nothing.

I think it has something to do with you being the only one that wants to think Iverson isn't in the decline of his career. Even most Iverson fans will admit he's on a decline.

DerekRE_3
11-04-2009, 03:09 AM

Because the Grizzlies need a real PG like Mike Conley to distribute the ball to guys like Zach Randolph, OJ Mayo, and Rudy Gay. They are all guys that put up a good amount of shots. If you had Iverson, Gay, Mayo, and Randolph all on the floor at the same time there just wouldn't be enough of shots to go around. That's without taking Marc Gasol into account, who has played very well so far this year and has done very well with the limited amount of shots he gets.

Raph12
11-04-2009, 03:23 AM
Because the Grizzlies need a real PG like Mike Conley to distribute the ball to guys like Zach Randolph, OJ Mayo, and Rudy Gay. They are all guys that put up a good amount of shots. If you had Iverson, Gay, Mayo, and Randolph all on the floor at the same time there just wouldn't be enough of shots to go around. That's without taking Marc Gasol into account, who has played very well so far this year and has done very well with the limited amount of shots he gets.

Conley is quite the chucker himself, took quite a few contested shots in the last few games I saw... but I get what you mean.

DerekRE_3
11-04-2009, 03:56 AM
Conley is quite the chucker himself, took quite a few contested shots in the last few games I saw... but I get what you mean.

The only game I've seen him play was against the Kings yesterday and he went 5-11 from the field for 13 points and 6 assists. 11 shots is the most shots he's taken so far this year and is shooting around 8 times a game so I wouldn't really call him a "chucker."

lakerssssssss
11-04-2009, 04:02 AM

Good point.

Raph12
11-04-2009, 04:13 AM
The only game I've seen him play was against the Kings yesterday and he went 5-11 from the field for 13 points and 6 assists. 11 shots is the most shots he's taken so far this year and is shooting around 8 times a game so I wouldn't really call him a "chucker."

Yes, but did you see the shots he took, not very smart shots to say the least. By "chucker" I don't mean volume shooter, I mean a player who takes bad shots.

Conley is avging 9.3ppg on 41% shooting and 6.3apg while commiting 3.3tpg in 33+mins... not very stellar numbers for a PG to say the least, AI could produce those numbers and better in Conley's place. I admit AI isn't the HOF-type player he used to be, but he is still a few steps up from Conley.

AI+Mayo>>>>>Mayo+Conley

DerekRE_3
11-04-2009, 04:22 AM
Yes, but did you see the shots he took, not very smart shots to say the least. By "chucker" I don't mean volume shooter, I mean a player who takes bad shots.

Conley is avging 9.3ppg on 41% shooting and 6.3apg while commiting 3.3tpg in 33+mins... not very stellar numbers for a PG to say the least, AI could produce those numbers and better in Conley's place. I admit AI isn't the HOF-type player he used to be, but he is still a few steps up from Conley.

AI+Mayo>>>>>Mayo+Conley

Talent wise yes. But like I said before, there just aren't enough shots to go around between AI, Mayo, Gay, and Randolph, and that's without taking into account their most efficient scorer so far this season, Marc Gasol, who is getting 19 PPG on just under 10 shots a game.

Mayo: Volume perimeter shooter
Gay: Volume perimeter shooter
AI: Volume perimeter shooter

You can't have 3 guys like that all playing together at once.

JayW_1023
11-04-2009, 07:02 AM
Those who put AI on the starting PG position are being moronic. This ain't Fantasy basketball. There is a reason why the only success in AI's career has been when he was moved to SG...because he cannot adapt his game for the good of the team.

Kohaku
11-04-2009, 07:54 AM
What are we talking about here? A backup? Not a starter, not a starter but a back up..

I see what you did there...

b_rad23
11-04-2009, 10:59 AM
I propose a Conley for Andre Miller and change (a pick and an inconsequential young guy like Pendergraph or Cunningham) move.

Blazers don't need any more picks, they still get a very quality PG who's a better fit, while getting rid of a malcontent (well, kinda).

Memphis get a perfect fit and a vet.

daleja424
11-04-2009, 11:12 AM
haha...the grizzlies are who we thought they were

BkOriginalOne
11-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Iverson will work his way into the starting lineup - believe it.

Chronz
11-04-2009, 01:00 PM

If you think the stats you posted proved that hes not in the decline phase of his career then I really dont feel the need to responding to anything you say as you CLEARLY lacks the ability to properly scout players.

But Ill explain it as easily as I can anyways, as combo guard, AI is best made use of off the bench where his ballhoggery doesnt negatively impact the surplus of scorers they have that team. Seeing how hes NOT a better scorer than Mayo, and hes not a better PG than Conley, and that Mayo is best utilized off the ball (He has to shoulder the PG duties when AI is with him) there is no other alternative for AI. If he werent such a defensive liability then maybe the team could start him in place of Conley but until he proves he can mesh with so many scorers on one team, he wont be starting anytime soon. Im not saying he cant have a good year and bounce back from last years disaster, but thus far all hes done is prove why he should be hated. The guy is a cancer

I propose a Conley for Andre Miller and change (a pick and an inconsequential young guy like Pendergraph or Cunningham) move.

Blazers don't need any more picks, they still get a very quality PG who's a better fit, while getting rid of a malcontent (well, kinda).

Memphis get a perfect fit and a vet.

Good trade idea Conley and Oden deserve eachother, but Im pretty sure the Grizz wont trade their PG of the future for a guy on the decline

ballpd05
11-04-2009, 02:07 PM

Iverson is one of the best scorers ever, but he isn't a team player. When in Philly, the only team he was really successful with, they surrounded him with great defensive players who didn't want to shoot the ball so he got all of the shots and made all the plays.

He can't be successful when he has help because they either clash, he destroys the chemistry, or he slows down their development. He couldn't win when he had role players in Philly like Iguodala and a young Stackhouse (who went to Detroit and was a beast). Or in Denver who drastically got better when they got rid of him for Chauncey. Or the drastic decline of Detroit when they got him (who with Chauncy beat Shaq and Kobe's Lakers with basically the same team).

AI just can't or won't be the primary option any more because people are trying to develop young offensive talent who can score on much better shooting % than him. If he wants to log minutes he would need to be more like a point guard and score around 18 with 8 assists or whatever. The only teams he would realistically fit into would be Sacramento (if him and Kev Mart don't butt heads), Minnesota (granted he knows to give the ball to big Al first), and Charlotte who has no legit scorer.

ballpd05
11-04-2009, 02:22 PM
And for those that dont play ball and cant understand if a guy is under 6ft and is the only OFF. option the team has and he has to shoot over guys 6'6 and up and take on maybe 3/4 of'em each possession he will shoot a low fg pct..do you guys understand the difference between GARNETT shooting over AI ..and AI shooting over GARNETT, thats what he basically faced every game in PHILLY so how can you expect a guy to shoot a high pct when he has to shoot over trees and hes a undersized scoring guard getting triple teamed with no options no shooters around him no big man, he should have shot more like 20pct if you think about...

Chris Paul did it last year and he shot over 50% and led the league in assists and steals. With NO other legit option who he doesn't have to spoon feed baskets.

Raph12
11-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Talent wise yes. But like I said before, there just aren't enough shots to go around between AI, Mayo, Gay, and Randolph, and that's without taking into account their most efficient scorer so far this season, Marc Gasol, who is getting 19 PPG on just under 10 shots a game.

Mayo: Volume perimeter shooter
Gay: Volume perimeter shooter
AI: Volume perimeter shooter

You can't have 3 guys like that all playing together at once.

Agreed, you could also add Zach Randoph to that list, but with that being said, although individual stats may suffer, the team would be more successful with AI at the point vs Conley.

DerekRE_3
11-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Agreed, you could also add Zach Randoph to that list, but with that being said, although individual stats may suffer, the team would be more successful with AI at the point vs Conley.

Which won't get them anywhere. They might as well keep developing Conley. And I don't see how a team can be more successful when you have 4 guys all looking for their own shots. That's not a team.

Raph12
11-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Which won't get them anywhere. They might as well keep developing Conley.

It'll sell more tickets, which ultimately is what they're trying to do.

DerekRE_3
11-04-2009, 03:02 PM
It'll sell more tickets, which ultimately is what they're trying to do.

Then he would be starting....he's not.

Chronz
11-04-2009, 03:06 PM
What makes you think AI is a better PG than Conley?

JLynn943
11-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Um, if you actually read the article, it doesn't sound like he's livid. This is just SteveNash being manipulative again because he doesn't like Iverson. If nothing else, Iverson just feels like he should be starting. And he has every right to feel that way.

But no, this is given a misleading title so now everyone is jumping on him. Ridiculous.

JLynn943
11-04-2009, 03:28 PM
What makes you think AI is a better PG than Conley?

Well, he was the starting point guard on a 50+ win Nuggets team. Surely if he was a bad point guard on such an offensively-oriented team, they would have not done as well.

Hellcrooner
11-04-2009, 03:55 PM
in my opinion

grizzlies should keep conley , mayo and marc gasol.

and try to turn via trade , iverson, gay and randolph ( and maybe thabeet) in a solid defender and a star to complete the starting unit.

Something in the lines of...small trde for raja bell big trade for stoudamire or bosh or big trade for gerald wallace small trade for turiaff or scola.

1 conley, mayo, bell, stou or bosh, marc gasol

scoring options 1 stou or bosh 2 mayo 3 gasol

2 conley, mayo, prince or g wallace, scola or turiaff, gasol.

scoring options 1 mayo, 2 gasol 3 prince

that balances out the offense since both mayo and gasol can score in twenties with the right number of shots in case 2 and gasol can score in 15s if a proper first option is brought ( bosh, stou)

the team deffends better and attacks better because they try to play as a team isntead of having 6 players chking bricks a soon as the ball fals into their hands.

Ace33Bone
11-04-2009, 04:03 PM
lol Iverson brings turmoil to yet another team... Is anyone surprised

Chronz
11-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Well, he was the starting point guard on a 50+ win Nuggets team. Surely if he was a bad point guard on such an offensively-oriented team, they would have not done as well.
That AI doesnt exist anymore and he played the 2 mostly for Denver, not to mention that depending on what metrics your using to measure Denvers offense, it was overrated. If your basing it off PPG then they really werent as good as you think.

Litchris12
11-04-2009, 04:09 PM
i see him no different from gilbert arenas

SteveNash
11-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Um, if you actually read the article, it doesn't sound like he's livid. This is just SteveNash being manipulative again because he doesn't like Iverson. If nothing else, Iverson just feels like he should be starting. And he has every right to feel that way.

But no, this is given a misleading title so now everyone is jumping on him. Ridiculous.

I used the headline SI.com used when posting up the story.

He doesn't seem to be too pleased whether you want to argue whether or not he's livid/pissed/upset/etc.

Denver had Anthony Carter starting with AI. Both combo guards where Carter had to cover all of AI's mistakes. Denver realized AI was done and shipped him off.

Memphis can't give up PG responsibilities to Mayo or Gay. Can't start Conley and AI. So really there's no place for AI. And that's a hypothetical AI who is better than any of Memphis' starters, he isn't. And that's why he shouldn't start.

mzgrizz
11-04-2009, 11:24 PM
There is no evidence Iverson was livid. He was stating his case, IVERSON style.
In Memphis, a sports radio program had 9 of 9 callers supporting Iverson with one of the calllers being a localTV sports commentator; I tried to call in,too but then I had to get into the office and the lines were BUSY.
Our team assists have INCREASED as they are playing team ball; they are amazingly unselfish in their play. I know because I ATTEND the games and watch the rest on League Play.
It seems like a media ploy to stir up trouble IMO. The season is barely begun and already the crappy sportswriters are aggravating the hell out of me.
Give the boys a chance. The real fans in Memphis are happy with what we are seeing and MOST of us want to see more AI.

ink
11-05-2009, 12:33 AM
There is no evidence Iverson was livid. He was stating his case, IVERSON style.
In Memphis, a sports radio program had 9 of 9 callers supporting Iverson with one of the calllers being a localTV sports commentator; I tried to call in,too but then I had to get into the office and the lines were BUSY.
Our team assists have INCREASED as they are playing team ball; they are amazingly unselfish in their play. I know because I ATTEND the games and watch the rest on League Play.
It seems like a media ploy to stir up trouble IMO. The season is barely begun and already the crappy sportswriters are aggravating the hell out of me.
Give the boys a chance. The real fans in Memphis are happy with what we are seeing and MOST of us want to see more AI.

All good points. I'm closing this one up because we've covered this topic again and again.

Let the Grizzlies play and see how things turn out.