PDA

View Full Version : Kobe torched by Joe Johnson, rescued by Artest

Rontotherescue
11-02-2009, 08:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-091101

Given that backdrop, it was time for Artest to show antsy Lakers fans what he could do on Sunday night. So Artest dumped an ice bucket (metaphorically; with Artest you have to be specific) on Hawks guard Joe Johnson after Johnson flambéed the Lakers for 18 points in the first nine minutes of the game.

Give an assist to Hawks coach Mike Woodson, who benched Johnson with 2:39 left in the first quarter, when he was in a 7-for-8 shooting zone. Johnson didn't return until the 7:28 mark of the second quarter, and with Artest taking over the defensive duties from Kobe Bryant, Johnson made only one of his final eight field goal attempts.

"I told Kobe, 'Let me get him,'" Artest said.

http://www.nba.com/video/games/lakers/2009/11/01/0020900045_atl_lal_play1.nba/index.html

Zefflin
11-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Der, that's Artests job now. Take defensive pressure off Kobe so he can drop 41 night in and out.

TheMicrowave
11-02-2009, 08:42 PM
It happens, Kobe is still a great defender. I hope you weren't trying to argue that. Bottom line Kobe went for 41, Johnson stunk the rest of the game, Lakers won. Lakers as a team are more important than Kobe, himself.

HouRealCoach
11-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Thats the reason that they got Artest

goku
11-02-2009, 08:48 PM
thats why ron is there but what will happen when they go against a quicker guard such as wade or roy

Rome
11-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Thats the reason that they got Artest

Yea exactly.

Wilson
11-02-2009, 08:55 PM
thats why ron is there but what will happen when they go against a quicker guard such as wade or roy

Well Kobe can still defend those guys with some success if he commits to it. I think it was in a game last season where Kobe was shadowing Dwyane Wade all over the court and Wade had to work his *** off just to receive the pass. It was awesome. Although guys are getting called for fouls more and more often when they're just competing for position these days, so I don't know how much more of that we'll see.

The Lakers also have Shannon Brown on the bench, who is a decent defender to help with those guys.

Back to Artest, one thing to note is that Kobe Bryant had five steals. Me and a few other guys have mentioned prior to the season that Artest's presence allows Kobe to roam more, which should result in a jump in steals for him. Last night was a good example of that.

The turn-overs last night resulted in a lot of fast break opportunities for the Lakers as well, Kobe had five fast break dunks or something. It was a great performance last night and it started with Ron's defense, hopefully he can keep it up and get his shooting in gear.

smith&wesson
11-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Kobe can gaurd anyone at his position. the point is now that artest is there he doesnt have too. he can just save his energy lighting up the other team on offense.

Barack
11-02-2009, 09:10 PM
So Artest dumped an ice bucket (metaphorically; with Artest you have to be specific) on Hawks guard Joe Johnson

i started rofl when i read that hahahhaa

Bruno
11-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Did you make an account just to post this? Ron did great.

championships
11-02-2009, 09:13 PM
.........Then Kobe torches everyone else for 41. So whats your point.

Highlight
11-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Did you make an account just to post this? Ron did great.

I think that was his point...

Johnson hit a lot of uncontested shots. It wasn't like he had Kobe all over his nuts and was making ridiculous shots regardless of Kobe's presence or not.

Artest's defense was amazing last night, and Kobe continued to have opportunities against Johnson in the 3rd and 4th. Johnson couldn't do a thing with Kobe and Artest there.

Regardless, the Lakers team defense is what won the game. Everyone was in on it. Even Luke had a great steal that resulted in that fast break pass to Lamar who dished it to Kobe for the reverse.

KG2TB
11-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Please tell me this isn't really a thread

JJ_JKidd
11-03-2009, 01:00 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-091101

http://www.nba.com/video/games/lakers/2009/11/01/0020900045_atl_lal_play1.nba/index.html

WOW Really???? D@mn! D@mn you kids posting stupid stuff in this forum!!! At the end of the day, no matter how many players "torches" Kobe, the Lakers will still be '09 World Champs! So yall can kiss his Mamba a $ $ F'in HATERS!!!

Litchris12
11-03-2009, 01:15 AM
lmao artest is a beast.....i like the swagger from him.

PrettyBoyJ
11-03-2009, 02:36 AM
KObe cud put 50 on him any night

kyubi256
11-03-2009, 02:40 AM
LOL... they took him out of the game after shooting 7-8

bbcmillionaire
11-03-2009, 02:50 AM
kobes card just got pulled tonight, he'll be fine, his defense is nice. But joe johnson should have blew pass artest slow azz lol

Raph12
11-03-2009, 02:53 AM
That's why Ron-ron is on this team, to relieve Kobe of defensive pressures so he can focus on taking apart the other team on offense.

Wilson
11-03-2009, 09:10 AM
LOL... they took him out of the game after shooting 7-8

They had to rest him at some point, he's not going to play 48 minutes per game.

He was kept out of the game for a bit too long maybe, but I suppose the Hawks are trying to get something from somewhere else early in the season, so they're not leaning on Johnson so hard at the end of the season.

MakaSizzle
11-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Thats why Kobe will never be in the same realm as mike...not willing to play D, nor could he play D on da stars

Ace33Bone
11-03-2009, 11:07 AM
At the end of the day Kobe is still a great defender... its just that he was going against a great scorer... I think people really underrate Joe Johnson's talent and if he did not sit down with 2:39 to go in the first then he would have continued to torch whoever was checking him rather that was Kobe or Artest... IMO Woodson stopped Johnson not artest... as a coach you have to ride out your leading scorer's hot streak and let him continue to put up his shots until he cools off... By woodson jerking him out the game so fast Joe Johnson never got to get his heat check shots up

kobelaughsatall
11-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Thats why Kobe will never be in the same realm as mike...not willing to play D, nor could he play D on da stars

yea kobe isn't willing to play defense... yet he has made the all defensive team 9 times :facepalm: please hop of mj's nuts and go shoot yourself for this comment.