PDA

View Full Version : Charles Barkley: NBA Should Adopt 20-Year Age Limit

JordansBulls
11-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Source: BostonGlobe (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2009/11/01/cavs_not_making_much_of_a_case_to_keep_james/?page=full)

Charles Barkley believes the NBA should adopt a 20-year-old age limit that would mandate players be two years removed from high school or have two years of college to help stem the slew of draft busts.

“I have always thought the longer they stay in college, their level of play will improve,’’ said Barkley. “You go to college to learn how to play.

“When you are in high school, you’re just good because you are bigger, stronger, and faster than everybody else. You should go to college to learn how to play. They are bypassing that, and it hurt the NBA for a long time.

“The NBA is back on the upswing but there was a few years where we had a bunch of talented players who didn’t have a clue how to play.’’

If teams had to draft over again, Roy would be the No. 1 pick and Rondo, the 21st pick, would move into the top five. And players such as Paul Millsap and Leon Powe would move into the first round. The unpredictability of the 2006 draft is hurting a lot of teams that were depending on potential cornerstone players to contribute.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-02-2009, 06:09 PM
I think they should keep the 19 age limit but have some kind of special scouting team by the NBA where High School players show off their skills and if they are already showing superstar quality play(And I mean like LBJ, Kobe and Garnett kind of talent when they were in HS), they can enter the draft straight from high school.

Rome
11-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Stupid. One year is fine. More players should stay in school longer, but its not our choice.

Toenail Clipper
11-02-2009, 06:28 PM
No, if they're going to make enough money, who cares if they are busts or not

Chronz
11-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Both sides have great points, I cant find a side to stick with. I will say this, if watching Al Thornton has taught me anything, its that not everyone who gos to college is going to come into the league a smart man, but hell maybe Thornton wouldve been a lottery pick in HS and come into the league even less ready to play, instead of being a midlottery pick and teams pretty much knowing what he is.

Id like to see the league adopt a 2-3 year rule or just do away with it altogether, this 1 and done thing isnt helping either college or the pros I think.

HuRRiCaNeS324
11-02-2009, 06:54 PM
I think a high school player should be able to enter the NBA draft, but if he decides to go to college, he has to stay there for 2 years.

ldc62
11-02-2009, 07:25 PM
i think a high school player should be able to enter the nba draft, but if he decides to go to college, he has to stay there for 2 years.

agree

KB24PG16
11-02-2009, 07:26 PM
I think a high school player should be able to enter the NBA draft, but if he decides to go to college, he has to stay there for 2 years.

i like that idea

sofargone
11-02-2009, 10:30 PM
********. it was better when you could go highschool to NBA

JayW_1023
11-03-2009, 05:37 AM
Wow Barkley is actually right.

ZebraCity916
11-03-2009, 05:54 AM

I like that.

:clap:

The_Pharouh
11-03-2009, 09:25 AM
If teams had to draft over again, Roy would be the No. 1 pick and Rondo, the 21st pick, would move into the top five. And players such as Paul Millsap and Leon Powe would move into the first round. The unpredictability of the 2006 draft is hurting a lot of teams that were depending on potential cornerstone players to contribute.

whatever rules you make there will be busts and steals in every draft
that is why it is important to have a good GM

Anon
11-03-2009, 09:42 AM
I don't think you can question the fact that the NBA has benefited from the age limit. Players come into the league more prepared and with less question marks. When people talk about this they always mention the star players that come out after one year or previously straight from high school as proof the age limit doesn't matter. But I think the players that benefit most are the second level players that come out. Guys like Courtney Lee and George Hill are able to come in and contribute right away on good teams. The back end of the draft has benefited greatly from the age limit and increasing it to 2 years would only help.

Ace33Bone
11-03-2009, 11:18 AM
I think that they should actually go back down a year and let players come straight out of high school... just like some of the greats in the NBA chose to do ie LeBron, Kobe, Garnett, Al Jefferson ... Deshawn Stevenson lol

Luol Deng Fan
11-03-2009, 12:25 PM
I think they should keep the 19 age limit but have some kind of special scouting team by the NBA where High School players show off their skills and if they are already showing superstar quality play(And I mean like LBJ, Kobe and Garnett kind of talent when they were in HS), they can enter the draft straight from high school.

That's the dumbest thing i ever heard. You either let them all come out of high school or you don't. I agree with barkley. 20 year old limit might get rid of teams having to draft based purely on potential.

mrblisterdundee
11-03-2009, 12:44 PM
I could agree with the age limit, but include the requirement of at least an associate's degree. These athletes are huge icons for the youth of the world. They need to show that an education is important.

Cubs Win
11-03-2009, 12:44 PM
That's the dumbest thing i ever heard. You either let them all come out of high school or you don't. I agree with barkley. 20 year old limit might get rid of teams having to draft based purely on potential.

Becuase all players have reached a point where you can tell exactly where their career is headed by 20. :eyebrow:

RaiderLakersA's
11-03-2009, 01:14 PM
I disagree with Barkley. Where is it written that a coach HAS to play someone who hasn't properly learned how to play at the NBA level? As far as I'm concerned, as long as this country can allow an 18 year old to vote and carry a weapon into war against foreign powers, admittance into the NBA shouldn't have unreasonable barriers of entry. It's not like we're asking them to run a 30 mile long particle collider or something truly complex. It's just basketball.

RaiderLakersA's
11-03-2009, 01:16 PM
I could agree with the age limit, but include the requirement of at least an associate's degree. These athletes are huge icons for the youth of the world. They need to show that an education is important.

On the merits of that alone, most of the professional athletes should give back their "degrees." It's a farce to say that most of the student athletes who earned barely a C average in high school would qualify for institutions of higher learning, let alone a prestigious school like Duke or Michigan or Berkeley. Child please!

thesparky33
11-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Citing the 2006 draft is the worst move he could do, since that was the year that they implemented the "one year in college" rule.

What I'm trying to say, is there were no high school kids in the draft, nor were there any of the "one and done" kids (aka Durant, Oden, Rose, Beasley, Mayo, etc) since they would have been in the 2005 draft out of high school if their intention was to go straight to the NBA.

But to weigh my opinion on the topic, I am torn. I think the age rule is wrong in terms of it being discriminatory on age. If a team wants to draft a player, I dont see any harm in that... its their gamble.

It also hurts the NCAA basketball, especially the teams. Having players play only one year has no real help for a team, unless it's a Kevin Durant or Derrick Rose type player that is also on a powerhouse team. It also makes it tougher to follow the NCAA with the constant shuffling of team rosters, since the teams are drastically different every year, which makes it hard to really connect to a certain team over an extended period of time.

The best solution I can think of would be to make the draft similar to the NHL, where you can draft a player, but you can still let them play in college, until you're ready to call them up. Of course there would have to be rules, in which they can only be called up before the NBA season (and after a school year is completed), and others. But I think that would help everyone. Of course it would pretty much make the NCAA a minor league system for the NBA, but it already pretty much is anyway, so why not just make it official?

Chronz
11-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Brilliant post

Luol Deng Fan
11-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Becuase all players have reached a point where you can tell exactly where their career is headed by 20. :eyebrow:

No, but there's something called equality. Why should anyone have an advantage that some of players don't have? If your going to make it 18 just don't do it for a few guys do it for all the guys. With that said i think it should be 20 because it has made the college game and the NBA game better.