PDA

View Full Version : NBA ReDraft Playoffs: 3 Sacramento Kings vs. 6 Memphis Grizzlies

Catfish1314
11-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Once or a twice year, PSD holds an NBA ReDraft. In this game played by PSD users, all the players in the NBA go into a draft pool. A lottery is held to determine the order and in 12 rounds of drafting and trading the GMs try to create the best team possible.

This first round match-up features the 3rd seeded Sacramento Kings versus the 6th seeded Memphis Grizzlies. The Kings have homecourt advantage. Their respective rosters and write-ups are listed below:

Kings:

C-Tyson Chandler/Rasho Nesterovic/Aaron Gray
PF-Kevin Garnett/David Andersen
SF-Tayshaun Prince/Matt Barnes
SG-Mike Miller/Morris Peterson
PG-Jameer Nelson/George Hill/Royal Ivey

Grizzlies:

PG-Steve Nash/C.J. watson
SG-Trevor Ariza/Courtney Lee
SF-Kevin Durant/Jamario Moon
PF-David West/Taj Gibson/Josh McRoberts
C-Nenad Krstic/Anderson Varejao/Johan Petro

Kings write-up:

The Memphis Grizzlies have put together an extremely potent offensive team with playmakers on offense at every position. Fortunately, we're confident enough in the capability of our defense to slow them down and pick up a series win here.

Frontcourt

Tyson Chandler/Kevin Garnett vs. Nenad Krstic/David West:

This is the pivotal match-up in the series. Krstic and West may be the most offensively potent frontcourt pair in the ReDraft with their creative scoring abilities and range. We have two of the most athletic, lengthy, and defensive oriented bigs in the league to slow them down. Krstic doesn't have the mobility to contain Chandler on the pick and roll and while KG is currently shaking off rust from his knee injury that kept him out of the playoffs, he's still the same player that scored virtually at will on Pau Gasol in the Lakers in the '08 Finals. West won't stop him and neither will any of the bigs on the Grizzlies' bench.

Edge: Kings

Small Forward

Tayshaun Prince vs. Kevin Durant:

Durant is an elite scorer who can deal damage from anywhere on the court against any defender in the league. And I won't pretend that Steve Nash setting him up won't be a massive upgrade from Russell Westbrook either. But Durant is new to the playoff scene and Prince hasn't been new to the playoff scene since Durant was in high school. Prince is a long, agile defender and we expect him to keep Durant from breaking out for a game changing performance.

Edge: Grizzlies

Backcourt

Jameer Nelson/Mike Miller vs. Steve Nash/Trevor Ariza:

Miller and Ariza are limited role players and we expect them to cancel each other out in terms of production. Ariza's sticky defense is wasted in this series without a dynamic wing player for him to defend. Nelson is not on Nash's level in terms of the kind of facilitating he can do. But Nelson is younger, quicker, and a better scorer especially with playmakers like Prince, Garnett, and Miller to help him out.

Edge: Even

Benches are always fairly mediocre in ReDrafts and each of these teams only has two noteworthy reserves so I won't bother delving into detailed comparisons on those. They won't be pivotal factors in the outcome of this series.

Congratulations to dimedrpr and his Memphis Grizzlies for making the playoffs. He's done an outstanding job in his first ReDraft and we wish him the best of luck in this series.

The Grizzlies did not send in a write-up.

Kakaroach
11-01-2009, 11:45 AM
The one thing I loved about the Grizzlies were their offensive options, but they get to play arguable the best defensive team in the re-draft that can also put up some points. West, Durant and Kristic will struggle, and Nash just isn't a #1 option anymore. Very close series, but I think the Kings take it in 6 or 7.

RocketsRule
11-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Go Kings! :)

deuces
11-01-2009, 12:49 PM
at least the kings are doing well somewhere...

JermanJaysFan
11-01-2009, 12:54 PM
The one thing I loved about the Grizzlies were their offensive options, but they get to play arguable the best defensive team in the re-draft that can also put up some points. West, Durant and Kristic will struggle, and Nash just isn't a #1 option anymore. Very close series, but I think the Kings take it in 6 or 7.

But Durant most certainly is.

However, I took the Kings. They seem to have a suffocating defense with enough offense to put the Grizz away. It'll go 7 games, though.

1-800-STFU
11-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Grizzles have much much better depth, but Im still taking the Kings in a close one.

PhillyLuver
11-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Kings win, but it's not easy

homestarunner93
11-01-2009, 02:57 PM
The X-Factor in this series is the athleticism of Chandler and Garnett in the front court for the Kings. It will be too much for the likes of West and Krstic to handle.

Kakaroach
11-01-2009, 02:59 PM
But Durant most certainly is.

However, I took the Kings. They seem to have a suffocating defense with enough offense to put the Grizz away. It'll go 7 games, though. Yeah but thats why I said they have Tay guarding him, will help limit him a little.

dimedrpr
11-01-2009, 03:12 PM
The Kings don't have enough offense to keep up with us. Nash is a 2x MVP, Ariza is averaging 23ppg in his first 3 with Houston now that he's getting starters minutes, Durant is just a sicko, West put up 21/9 last year, and Krstic gets about 15ppg. Chandler is a non factor on offense so we will have West, Varajeao, and Krstic all working on KG who only put up 15ppg last year anyhow so he's not a big offensive weapon anymore anyhow. I don't see how they could score enough points to beat us. We also have a better bench with Varejao, Courtney Lee, Jamario Moon. It would go 6 or 7 but Ariza will lock up Miller and Nelson, Prince, KG, and Chandler aren't going to be able to keep up with our scorers.

KnicksorBust
11-01-2009, 07:44 PM
The Kings don't have enough offense to keep up with us. Nash is a 2x MVP, Ariza is averaging 23ppg in his first 3 with Houston now that he's getting starters minutes, Durant is just a sicko, West put up 21/9 last year, and Krstic gets about 15ppg. Chandler is a non factor on offense so we will have West, Varajeao, and Krstic all working on KG who only put up 15ppg last year anyhow so he's not a big offensive weapon anymore anyhow. I don't see how they could score enough points to beat us. We also have a better bench with Varejao, Courtney Lee, Jamario Moon. It would go 6 or 7 but Ariza will lock up Miller and Nelson, Prince, KG, and Chandler aren't going to be able to keep up with our scorers.

My PG won an MVP 4 years ago and my best player is a "sicko"!

Worst.Writeup.Ever. You should be beating us over the head with your depth of Varejeo and Courtney Lee on the bench and how old or fragile his frontcourt players are.

I think the most underrated aspect of this series would be that Jameer Nelson could actually outplay Nash here so I went Kings.

jeff86
11-01-2009, 08:36 PM
the kings for me just do not have enough offense to win this series i went with the grizz

Catfish1314
11-01-2009, 08:36 PM

Chandler's a nonfactor on offense? Leave him alone on pick and rolls and see how beneficial that is. Don't box him out and see if he doesn't tear the rim down.

KG's numbers aren't what makes him important. If I need him to score 17-23 points in a playoff game, he'll do it. Krstic and West don't have the athleticism or defensive prowess to do anything with him

Ariza won't "lock up" Miller because Miller isn't a dynamic scorer. He's a shooter who gets the rest of his offense from his teammates. A 6'8 Ariza isn't going to "lock up" a 6'8 shooter just by jumping in his face. He may be able to cut him off on a play or two but lock him up? That term is thrown around way to loosely.

Durant is ridiculous but Prince has the length and experience to slow him down enough to keep him from exploding. If Prince outside and KG inside can hold him to his season averages (24-26 a game) that would be fine with us.

Durant is hype
11-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Oops I meant to chose Kings,can a mod change it for me.

dimedrpr
11-02-2009, 05:12 AM
Chandler's a nonfactor on offense? Leave him alone on pick and rolls and see how beneficial that is. Don't box him out and see if he doesn't tear the rim down.

KG's numbers aren't what makes him important. If I need him to score 17-23 points in a playoff game, he'll do it. Krstic and West don't have the athleticism or defensive prowess to do anything with him

Ariza won't "lock up" Miller because Miller isn't a dynamic scorer. He's a shooter who gets the rest of his offense from his teammates. A 6'8 Ariza isn't going to "lock up" a 6'8 shooter just by jumping in his face. He may be able to cut him off on a play or two but lock him up? That term is thrown around way to loosely.

Durant is ridiculous but Prince has the length and experience to slow him down enough to keep him from exploding. If Prince outside and KG inside can hold him to his season averages (24-26 a game) that would be fine with us.

Your team can't score. That's the problem here.

dimedrpr
11-02-2009, 05:14 AM
My PG won an MVP 4 years ago and my best player is a "sicko"!

Worst.Writeup.Ever. You should be beating us over the head with your depth of Varejeo and Courtney Lee on the bench and how old or fragile his frontcourt players are.

I think the most underrated aspect of this series would be that Jameer Nelson could actually outplay Nash here so I went Kings.

It's not a writeup. I didn't do a writeup because I didn't care enough. If you look at his team they can't score enough to beat us. That's the bottom line. Where is the scoring going to come from? They have nobody that can get 20 even.

ChiSox219
11-02-2009, 05:17 AM
Grizzlies in 6

Catfish1314
11-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Your team can't score. That's the problem here.

Yours can't play defense. Which one wins championships?

RocketsRule
11-02-2009, 09:25 PM

Well said. We move on!!!

And I didn't see a GM option, does that mean I could have voted?

Silent
11-02-2009, 09:32 PM
close game but have to take the grizz durant with a nash would be sick its gonna be raining dimes all nite

dimedrpr
11-02-2009, 09:52 PM

That's just an asinine statement. You act like none of my guys can play any D. That's funny. I have one of the best wing defenders in the league and one of the better big man defenders in the league in Varejao. You guys would struggle to get 90 ppg against anyone and I can play Varejao against KG, Chandler struggles to get 10 points against anyone, Prince and Miller will get 15-17 on a good night, and Nelson isn't going to get 20. That was the funniest **** to me though was when you said Nelson could outplay Nash. Nash controls the entire tempo of the game and makes it easy for our guys to score. But hey, people just looked at your names without looking at how they would all fit together. You have to be able to score the ball to win games. You guys will go down soon though because you don't have a scorer.

So glad this thing is over though. It took forever and was poorly run.

Catfish1314
11-02-2009, 11:28 PM
That's just an asinine statement. You act like none of my guys can play any D. That's funny. I have one of the best wing defenders in the league and one of the better big man defenders in the league in Varejao. You guys would struggle to get 90 ppg against anyone and I can play Varejao against KG, Chandler struggles to get 10 points against anyone, Prince and Miller will get 15-17 on a good night, and Nelson isn't going to get 20. That was the funniest **** to me though was when you said Nelson could outplay Nash. Nash controls the entire tempo of the game and makes it easy for our guys to score. But hey, people just looked at your names without looking at how they would all fit together. You have to be able to score the ball to win games. You guys will go down soon though because you don't have a scorer.

And you act like none of my guys can score. KG averaged 15 points on a team where he wasn't relied to do much of anything on offense to that point in the year and his numbers were deflated because he played several games after the knee injury. That doesn't mean he can't score.

Prince is good for 15 points a game (he averaged about that playing with three shoot first guards last season). Nelson 13-19, Miller 8-12, Chandler 6-10, Barnes 6-12, KG 15-21, we have plenty of offense. And those numbers would be against good defensive teams which yours certainly wasn't. Half a handful of good defenders doesn't make you a good defensive team. :rolleyes:

And for the record, I NEVER said that about Nelson and Nash. That was KoB. Not only are your points hollow, they're incorrect. Joy.

And you listed exactly TWO good defenders. Varejao is no better than Rasho and Prince, KG, and Chandler individually are far better than any defenders you had.

Sorry you had to get knocked out so early. Maybe if your team could have played some D, it would have snuck out of the 1st round. Oh well.

Glad you enjoyed it. Try running one of them by yourself sometime.

KnicksorBust
11-03-2009, 12:36 AM
It's not a writeup. I didn't do a writeup because I didn't care enough. If you look at his team they can't score enough to beat us. That's the bottom line. Where is the scoring going to come from? They have nobody that can get 20 even.

That's how you wanna go out? Whining, quitting, and losing? The PSD redraft trifecta. Nice job getting the 6 seed and then getting bounced. :clap:

1-800-STFU
11-03-2009, 01:08 AM

Here comes the wahhhhmbulance (http://cdn2.knowyourmeme.com/i/17636/original/wahmbulance.jpg).