PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts about Oden going into the 07' draft

HouRealCoach
11-01-2009, 11:26 AM
He only averaged 15, 9, 3.... He was already injury prone and I never understood why he was discussed as being a "top 10" player...

randomness
11-01-2009, 11:37 AM
He had tons of potential and there weren't too many big men in the 07 draft I believe.

Mckphins
11-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Same reason as Dwight, mad potential

Lost Art
11-01-2009, 12:56 PM
I felt the same way. IMO he had some SERIOUS bust potential...........and he just may be living up to those expectations ;)

sofargone
11-01-2009, 01:23 PM
dont count him out yet, hes not putting up points but hes grabbing them boards

topdog
11-01-2009, 01:28 PM
The guy got a hand injury and then went on to shoot free throws better with his off than a lot of guys do with their good hand. The beastly size. Nice defense. He was already filled out into his body. He had some nice post moves. And, despite questions about his desire to play, he showed he was the only one who came to play against Florida.

Big men take time, and I'd rather take a chance on a C w/ potential to be great (imo) than a skinny scorer. Durant looks like he should be good, but there are a million wings who like to and are good at scoring, plus the Blazers didn't hand Oden the keys like they did for Durant.

theuuord
11-01-2009, 01:35 PM
he averaged those numbers with only one hand (his shooting hand was injured) and COMPLETELY changed ohio state defensively.

picking oden was not a bad decision based on what we knew (and the jury is still out).

NYK|NYY
11-01-2009, 01:45 PM
He'll be a lot better once he stops getting into foul trouble.

ko8e24
11-01-2009, 02:26 PM
a lot of threads about this...oden will be beast on defensive end, and be a 15 ppg scorer at best.

close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Kwame had potential too lol

IndiansFan337
11-01-2009, 03:13 PM
He only averaged 15, 9, 3.... He was already injury prone and I never understood why he was discussed as being a "top 10" player...
He only played roughly half that season & he put up those numbers with a cast on his shooting wrist the entire season. He hit over 70% of his F's with that cast on too. He also led his team to the Nat'l Championship game. He wasn't just drafted based on his statistics. He was drafted high because he is a key difference maker, which leads to winning games.

I felt the same way. IMO he had some SERIOUS bust potential...........and he just may be living up to those expectations ;)
He's not Kwame Brown. He has not lived up to the hype of a #1 pick, but he's not stiff either. He is a starting C.

abe_froman
11-01-2009, 03:17 PM

because he was a true c(the last of the great centers,ect.),he had mad potential and beast on defensive end material(yeah he can drop 40 like durant,but billed as having the potential to keep 40 from being dropped)

NYtilIdie
11-01-2009, 03:19 PM
I don't see him being a scoring threat in his career, but he will be a great rebounder and decent defender.

Sorta like Joe Smith, won't live up to the 1st round pick expectations, but can still develop into a solid player.

jetsfan28
11-01-2009, 03:20 PM
He was playing with only his off hand as the best player on a great team when he put up those stats, you make it sound like those are bad numbers.

HouRealCoach
11-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Guys STFU about Potential.... 90% of the Draft players have potential do you remember Stromile Swift, Darius Miles, and everyone else in that 2000 Draft, and Kwame BRown, Eddy Curry, Jay Williams, Wilcox, Milicic, Telfair, BRandon Wright,Tyrus Thomas, Adam Morrison and Kris Humphrey.... and Just because he wasnt handed the team like Durant doesnt mean anything.... look at Stuckey, & Villanueva, if youre good then youre good its as simple as that and I have seen guys that were handed the team and didnt deliver.... That isnt promise to success so IMO the points are valid because he probably did play without his good hand but that goes to my point as injury prone....

abe_froman
11-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Guys STFU about Potential.... 90% of the Draft players have potential do you remember Stromile Swift, Darius Miles, and everyone else in that 2000 Draft, and Kwame BRown, Eddy Curry, Jay Williams, Wilcox, Milicic, Telfair, BRandon Wright,Tyrus Thomas, Adam Morrison and Kris Humphrey.... and Just because he wasnt handed the team like Durant doesnt mean anything.... look at Stuckey, & Villanueva, if youre good then youre good its as simple as that and I have seen guys that were handed the team and didnt deliver.... That isnt promise to success so IMO the points are valid because he probably did play without his good hand but that goes to my point as injury prone....

find it funny you only mention busts(guess mentioning lebron,howard,ect,kect. wouldnt be good for your argument huh)

Chronz
11-01-2009, 11:48 PM
I thought he was for real after the championship game

ChiSox219
11-02-2009, 04:42 AM
Oden is already a great player when he can stay on the court. The reason he could be a bust is his lack of durability and inability to avoid foul trouble which limits his minutes.

Per 36 last year he was 14.8/11.6/1.9/.564

That's awfully impressive for anyone playing their first season in the NBA, the question is not whether he can play, it's if he'll be able to stay on the court.

Tblaze
11-02-2009, 08:05 AM
Oden is already a great player when he can stay on the court. The reason he could be a bust is his lack of durability and inability to avoid foul trouble which limits his minutes.

Per 36 last year he was 14.8/11.6/1.9/.564

That's awfully impressive for anyone playing their first season in the NBA, the question is not whether he can play, it's if he'll be able to stay on the court.

Part of it has to do with coaching.. Portland sucks at defending the pick 'n' Roll... they just switch and lead the player right into Oden. Of course that will result in alot of fouls...

Defensively and Rebounding he's already one of the better out there.. Offensively he's still really raw.

mikantsass
11-02-2009, 09:09 AM
There are lots of cases where top 10 or top 5 guys dont pan out. I'm just glad the Celtics did not win the lottery that year because then we would be stuck with him

HouRealCoach
11-02-2009, 09:56 AM
find it funny you only mention busts(guess mentioning lebron,howard,ect,kect. wouldnt be good for your argument huh)

Oden has never even had a game better than Lebrons first game he ever played and Howard is no injury prone player so.... You can name many players that werent busts but their rookie season was far more superior than Odens

NykbAlla
11-02-2009, 10:20 AM
He STILL has the potential to be a game changer with his defensive abilities. He just has to stay healthy long enough to develop them and put them to use

blazerman
11-03-2009, 06:59 AM
Oden has never even had a game better than Lebrons first game he ever played and Howard is no injury prone player so.... You can name many players that werent busts but their rookie season was far more superior than Odens

Man shut your yap would ya, your always on Oden's nutz about something, give him a chance to play. Besides he's not even on your team so why are you so intent on bashing him. He's doing fine and hasnt been in foul trouble except for one game and actually came back inthat game and locked Houston down with his D and shot blocking late in the game, so go find someone else to bash or he'll end up making you look the fool in a few months when you realize he's back and playing good ball.

ShockerArt
11-03-2009, 11:02 AM
College stats don't really mean anything. NBA basketball is so much different. Oden definitely showed enough potential to be a top 3 pick. My only issue at the time with the draft was that he should've gone 2nd behind Durant. I don't care about the "Roy and Durant wouldn't co-exist" garbage. Give me the elite talent over the project big man any day.

mrblisterdundee
11-03-2009, 01:00 PM
I'll easily admit that Durant would have been a better pick-up, but Oden's not going to be a bust. My expectations for him, realistically, are to put up the stats of Marcus Camby, but be better at weak side defense. He will be Portland's defensive anchor, and score more than Pryzbilla could ever muster.