PDA

View Full Version : Will Carmello and Chauncey reach the top-10 of MVP rankings at the same time?

mrblisterdundee
10-31-2009, 02:19 PM
I think they can, but it's an interesting comparison. I think they might have got close last season.
Carmello's obviously the most talented player on the team, and one of the most talented in the NBA. His only knock is the lack of leadership.
Chauncey's obviously a natural-born leader, and can turn around most teams in the league that have any talent. His only knock is that he doesn't produce identifiably great stats.
They both complement each other so well, although I think Carmello can eventually learn to be a better leader (never as good as Chauncey, though). Meanwhile, Chauncey will naturally slip in production. But that's the future, and this is now.
Do you think they can break into the top-10 rankings in the Race to the MVP this season?

MiamiHeat
10-31-2009, 02:26 PM
no

ko8e24
10-31-2009, 02:36 PM
this is the yr when carmelo anthony really gets into the convo of best player in league, but this is also the yr that chauncey mr. big shot billups starts to drastically decline IMO. But I feel he has solid support with a backup like Ty Lawson (the rook)

BkOriginalOne
10-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Why not, if they both have great seasons and the team is going well.

The celtics had Pierce and KG in the top 10 at the same time at one point.
The Spurs also had Parker and Duncan both in the Top 10.

I think that Melo wiill have a better season than all those guys and Billups was a top 10 MVP last year, so it's possible.

abe_froman
10-31-2009, 02:55 PM
doubt it

TheKing23
10-31-2009, 02:57 PM
Don't think so, but as previously said Parker and Duncan both were so you never know...

hoopordie25
10-31-2009, 04:06 PM
i dont think so, bullups is getting old but still a great player, melo for sure top ten but with bilups trying to get in there as well its not to likely. great overall team tho

randomness
10-31-2009, 05:08 PM
Maybe once?

MackSnackWrap
10-31-2009, 05:23 PM
nope

sofargone
10-31-2009, 06:43 PM
too many better players than billups

Toenail Clipper
10-31-2009, 06:58 PM
How about the year where Carmelo and Iverson on the MVP race?
OR Pau Gasol and Kobe Bryant?
I think its possible.

Raph12
10-31-2009, 10:22 PM
Billups is without-a-doubt the Denver Nuggets' team MVP, IMO no one should consider Melo a Top 10 candidate for MVP unless Billups goes down and they still do well.

Competition
11-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Billups is without-a-doubt the Denver Nuggets' team MVP, IMO no one should consider Melo a Top 10 candidate for MVP unless Billups goes down and they still do well.
You might have a point if this was last year buddy, this season is different. We've seen what happen in the playoffs last year, it was melo not billups who stepped their game up big time to get the nuggets in the western conference.

Seriously, the nuggets without melo would rely heavily on billups to score, do u honestly believe he could do what melo does on the offensive end of the court, chauncey wouldn't gather a double team to help his teammates and not to mention his poor fg%. Chauncey is a great leader and player plain and simple, but it's postes like this that kind of pisses me off and discredit what melo means to this team while overrating billups impact.

Melo is no doubt the nuggets best and most vaulable player and he is the mvp on the nuggets, they'll only go as for as he takes them.

ManRam
11-01-2009, 12:34 AM
I don't think Chauncey will finish top 10. Melo definitely will.

Chronz
11-01-2009, 01:05 PM
You might have a point if this was last year buddy, this season is different. We've seen what happen in the playoffs last year, it was melo not billups who stepped their game up big time to get the nuggets in the western conference.

Seriously, the nuggets without melo would rely heavily on billups to score, do u honestly believe he could do what melo does on the offensive end of the court, chauncey wouldn't gather a double team to help his teammates and not to mention his poor fg%. Chauncey is a great leader and player plain and simple, but it's postes like this that kind of pisses me off and discredit what melo means to this team while overrating billups impact.

Melo is no doubt the nuggets best and most vaulable player and he is the mvp on the nuggets, they'll only go as for as he takes them.
I want no part of this argument but you really need to stop looking at outdated stats. Billups doesnt have a poor FG% if you take into context the amount of 3's he makes and the amount of ft's he gets. Hes been the 2nd most efficient PG of our era (behind only Nash), most people just dont realize it because they still cite FG% as a measure of efficiency, even though the 3pt line began 3 decades ago.

IndiansFan337
11-01-2009, 03:19 PM
No. Melo probably will. I think Billups is going to drop back a bit from last season's hype.

Competition
11-01-2009, 07:42 PM
I want no part of this argument but you really need to stop looking at outdated stats. Billups doesnt have a poor FG% if you take into context the amount of 3's he makes and the amount of ft's he gets. Hes been the 2nd most efficient PG of our era (behind only Nash), most people just dont realize it because they still cite FG% as a measure of efficiency, even though the 3pt line began 3 decades ago.

I see what u mean, but my point still stand. Billups without an elite scorer who takes pressure off of him won't be as good he is right now. Look im not trying to bring billups down because his impact on a team goes beyond his number but some people takes things too far and credit him with every little improvement the nuggets made disregrading the other guy's effort( melo,nene, birdman and martin) while the media thinks it's all billups.

DenButsu
11-01-2009, 08:33 PM
I don't know the answer to the question, but I do think it's fair to say that the better each of them does individually, the easier things will be for the other one to do well, which is a pretty good formula for a perfect storm. If Chauncey has a great season, he'll be spacing the floor nicely with his 3 shooting, feeding Melo with good looks, and also finding good looks for non-Melo guys which should either keep defenses honest about doubling him or make them pay if they do. And if Melo's having a great season, then he'll always be the primary focus of opposing defenses, causing them to double up on him and freeing up easy scoring opportunities for other players, including Billups (except in the cases when Anthony Carter is on the floor, when the Nuggets are playing 4 on offense against 5 on defense to begin with).

Actually, I think the biggest beneficiary of a great Melo season would be Nene, because the doubles on Melo are more likely to free up space in the paint than loosen up the perimeter.