PDA

View Full Version : NBA ReDraft Playoffs: 4 Houston Rockets vs. 5 Phoenix Suns

Catfish1314
10-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Once or a twice year, PSD holds an NBA ReDraft. In this game played by PSD users, all the players in the NBA go into a draft pool. A lottery is held to determine the order and in 12 rounds of drafting and trading the GMs try to create the best team possible.

This first round match-up features the 4th seeded Houston Rockets versus the 5th seeded Phoenix Suns. The Rockets have homecourt advantage. Their respective rosters and write-ups are listed below:

Keep in mind these are not the real life teams.

Rockets:

PG: Rajon Rondo / Jose Juan Barea
SG: Michael Finley/Aaron Affalo/Quentin Richardson
SF: Danny Granger / Tim Thomas
PF: Lamar Odom /Joe Smith/ Darko Milicic
C: Andrew Bogut / DeSagana Diop

Suns:

PG: Mike Bibby/Jamaal Tinsley/Goran Dragic
SG: J.R. Smith/ Daequan Cook
SF: Gerald Wallace/Antonie Wright/Brandan Wright
PF: Charlie Villaneuva/Chris Wilcox
C: Dwight Howard/Mikki Moore

Rockets write-up:

PG Rajon Rondo- 16.9 ppg, 9.8 assists 9.7 rebounds 1.9 stlpg (08-09 playoffs)

SG Michael Finley- 9.7 ppg, 3.0 apg, 41% 3pt, .823 ft%,(08-09 season)

SF Danny Granger- 25.8 ppg, 5.9 rebounds, 2.7 assists,.404 from 3pt, .878 ft%, 1.5 bpg, (08-09 season)

PF Lamar Odom- 11.2 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 2.6 apg, 1.3 bpg, .492 fg%(08-09 season)

C Andrew Bogut- 11.7 ppg, 8.7rpg, 1.0 bpg, 2.5 apg, 54% FG% (career)

Bench
PG Jose Juan Barea – 08/09: 20.3 mpg, 7.8 ppg, 3.4 apg, 442 fg%, .359 3p%

SG Aaron Affalo - 08/09: 16.7 mpg, 4.9 ppg, 1.8 rpg, .437 fg%, .817 ft%, .402 3pt%

SG/SF Quentin Richardson - 08/09: 26.3 mpg, 10.2 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.6 apg, .393 fg%, .365 3p%,

SF/PF Tim Thomas – 08/09: 21.5 mpg, 9.6 ppg, 3.2 rpg, .461 fg%, .421 3p%, .806 ft%

PF/C Joe Smith – 08/09: 19.6 mpg, 6.5 ppg, 4.7 rpg, .7 bpg, .496 fg%,

PF/C Darko Milicic – 08/09: 17.0 mpg, 5.5 ppg, 4.4 rpg, .8 bpg, .515 fg%

C DeSagana Diop – 08/09: 14.2 mpg, 2.8 ppg, 3.8 rpg, .8 bpg,

Matchups
Bibby vs. Rondo
Mike Bibby over the years has slown down a lot since he played for the Kings. Bibby is more of a shooter then a facilitator. In our opinion, Dwight needs a pg to get him the ball deep in the post or have a lot of talent around him. This team has nowhere near the talent D-12 had around him last year. Rondo is way too quick for him to defend. Rondo in our opinion is the best defensive pg in the league that will be able to control Bibby pretty easily. Rondo in the playoffs almost averaged a triple double. With this offense, he does not have to do too much because of talent he has. This worked in Boston and it should work here. Advantage: Rondo

Finley vs. Smith

On paper this in one sided because Finley is getting up there in age. Finley’s stats last year was he average almost 10ppg and shot 40% from 3. He is also a veteran that will help make this young team gel. JR Smith, on the other hand, came off the bench and was a sparkplug but lacked maturity in his game. George Karl would never start JR because he plays too wild and played inconsistent defense. A little defense by Finley as well as 8 or so points will be enough to make this matchup close. Advantage: JR Smith cause of his scoring ability.

Gerald Wallace vs. Danny Granger:

Gerald Wallace is a nice young player that is well known for his slashing ability. His outside shot has not come along quite yet. He only shoots 30% from 3pt land. Danny Granger has quickly become a top 5 small forward in this league. He averaged 26 ppg last year and will only get better. He also average 5 rebound. His defense is pretty good and should be able to contain Wallace’s slashing ability. Granger in our offense will be a star. Advantage: Granger

Lamar Odom vs. Charlie Villanueva

PF: Lamar Odom’s length and athleticism make him a matchup nightmare against almost any forward in the league. He’s not the best 3-point shooter, but he’s good enough that he can spread the floor and force Villanueva, one of the league’s worst defenders, to cover him on the perimeter. Odom will require a double team when he looks to drive past Villanueva or no one will be able to stop him until he reaches the basket. Defensively, Odom is an excellent shot blocker and rebounder. Villanueva’s offensive game is to get space and hit the open shot, but Odom’s length and speed will make that particularly difficult. The Suns front court strength will be Villanueva’s ability to stretch the floor and give Dwight one-on-one situations against Bogut underneath. The Magic tried the same thing last year with Lewis and who was the help defender who always swarmed to meet Dwight under the basket? Lamar Odom. Advantage: Rockets

Andrew Bogut vs. Dwight Howard

C: Dwight Howard is the best offensive and defensive center in the league, but he can be stopped by a swarming help defense, the kind of defense that the Lakers’ provided last season with the help of Lamar Odom. Bogut’s size underneath is a huge plus, and while he’s not an exceptional shot blocker, he’s a great rebounder and he’s great at using his size to not give up position against most bigs. Dwight is not effective unless he’s five feet or less from the basket, and he won’t have that advantage against Bogut. Bogut is also incredible at drawing offensive fouls. His defense was invaluable for the Bucks last season, who gave up an average of 10.8 more points per game without him in the lineup. Offensively, Bogut will have the same problem with Dwight, but Bogut has enough moves in his arsenal, particularly a nice left hook shot, that he can avoid Dwight’s long arms from blocking his shots. Advantage: Suns

Bench vs. Bench

We feel like we have a great bench with a mixture of offense and defense. Barea and Qrich will provide instant offense when we need them too. Diop, Smith, and Afflalo will provide the defense when called upon. . The Suns have nice players in Wilcox and Cook but that is about it.

The Suns did not send in a write-up.

jeff86
10-30-2009, 05:27 PM
good luck suns

Kakaroach
10-30-2009, 05:31 PM
I love the Suns in this one. Wallace will do a decent job on Granger and the other wing is Finley. Howard+those good shooters proves to be too much for the Rockets.

blujaysrock
10-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Good luck to you too, and you're forgetting about Wallace's defence he should contain Granger pretty well, and we have Antonie Wright off the bench mainly for defence. If Bibby is getting it handed to him we can always bring Tinsley off the bench for someone quicker.

theimortalone
10-30-2009, 06:11 PM
good luck suns

Good luck to you too man!

jeff86
10-30-2009, 06:14 PM
are we allowed to vote on our own team?

in previous you couldnt

jeff86
10-30-2009, 06:19 PM
wow 10-1 seriously

i completely disagree with that

their team is no where near as balanced as our team

randomness
10-30-2009, 06:22 PM
wow 10-1 seriously

I think it's because they have Dwight.

theimortalone
10-30-2009, 06:24 PM
wow 10-1 seriously

I am just as shocked as you are bro. I didn't expect to be up 10-1.

bctgg27
10-30-2009, 06:32 PM
I think this one would go to 6-7 games. I went with the Suns only because they have some good defenders. Granger is an excellent player, but Wallace can get in his face and limit his scoring. Wallace is also a good offensive player. Dwight is Dwight. I am not trying to disrespect Bogut, but he is not at a high enough level to make to many problems for Dwight.

jeff86
10-30-2009, 06:45 PM
I think it's because they have Dwight.

we have granger

3 guys with rings in our starting lineup

and overall a better defensive team and better bench but i guess thats just me

mavwar53
10-30-2009, 06:46 PM
howard in the middle wallace able to D up granger smith bibby and charlie v for 3 spells victory, along with the better 6th man in Cook

jeff86
10-30-2009, 06:48 PM
how does 3 shooters spell victory

the reason dwight is good in orlando is cause had talent in hedo rashard jameer

those 3 completely dominate bibby cv31 and jr

Sportfan
10-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Rockets. Rondo will make bibby look soooooo bad. Finley shouldnt be a starter but smith is a horrible defender so he'll get his points. Put odom on wallace and granger on c vill an you'd be even better. Howard will dominate buy bogut isn't any slouch. Rockets in 6

theimortalone
10-30-2009, 09:08 PM
I'd hate to know that my team is just getting votes because we have Dwight.

1-800-STFU
10-30-2009, 09:09 PM

Thats not why I voted for you :shrug:

Gambeezy
10-30-2009, 10:15 PM
bump

jimbobjarree
10-31-2009, 12:16 AM

dwight who? Its all about Gerald baby

and yeah I'm taking the Suns. Howard will have a monster series against Bogut, he will dominate and the only guy whos really gunna light you up points wise for the Rockets is Granger (all their other players arent really scoring options respective teams), and the Suns have G Force one of the most underated players in the league and one of the best defenders there is on him so you know Grangers gunna have to work hard for his points.

And Bibby, JR and C Vill can all hit the 3 to open it up for Dwight, when JR goes on his points splurges the Suns will be hard to beat

mightybosstone
10-31-2009, 02:21 AM
This is an absolute joke. I'm just completely disgusted with PSD voters who obviously have no knowledge of basketball. They see Dwight Howard and it's like a kid in a candy store. Why did we bother to even make a write-up when PSD posters are too ignorant to read it. That was two months down the drain...

And anyone who thinks that Bogut couldn't handle Dwight could look at their only matchup last year. Bogut got hurt in that game, but before he was hurt he was dominating Dwight. Bogut's defensive game is perfect against a guy like Dwight, who relies entirely on getting position five feet from the basket. All Bogut has to do is hold position and keeps his arms up and Dwight's offensive game is essentially useless. Take Dwight out of the equation and the rest of the Sun's offense is horrible.

Also, apparently no one cared that we have HUGE mismatches with Rondo on Bibby and Odom on Villanueva.

1-800-STFU
10-31-2009, 02:41 AM
Its a game, be happy :)

mightybosstone
10-31-2009, 02:51 AM
^^^ Don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly pleased with the team that jeff and I built, especially considering we had the 27th overall pick, which is usually a death sentence and never completely trade raped anybody (like the Mavericks were somehow allowed to do). It's just frustrating when you build such a strong team that looks perfect on paper and then PSD posters take one look, see Dwight Howard's name and vote for the Suns without a second glance.

We spend like 2 months on these re-drafts to often have ignorant posters come in and judge the teams in half a second. Most people can't even give a legit reason why. All I've heard is "Dwight + 3's = win", but no one has any explanation for the huge mismatches our team creates or the awesomeness that is Danny Granger, or the fact that we have 3 starters on our team with championship rings. And if you look at their matchups last season, Granger completely dominated Wallace in almost every game. They aren't even comparable players talent-wise... Granger is miles ahead.

And for those people who said the Suns had a better defense, what are you smoking because I would love a puff of it. Bibby, JR Smith and Villanueva are all ATROCIOUS defenders. 2 defenders does not equal a good defensive team, especially when you're starting 3 huge defensive liabilities. We have a team with 5 really solid defenders (Rondo and Granger are exceptional) and nobody even mentions that?

1-800-STFU
10-31-2009, 03:11 AM
^^^ Don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly pleased with the team that jeff and I built, especially considering we had the 27th overall pick, which is usually a death sentence and never completely trade raped anybody (like the Mavericks were somehow allowed to do). It's just frustrating when you build such a strong team that looks perfect on paper and then PSD posters take one look, see Dwight Howard's name and vote for the Suns without a second glance.

We spend like 2 months on these re-drafts to often have ignorant posters come in and judge the teams in half a second. Most people can't even give a legit reason why. All I've heard is "Dwight + 3's = win", but no one has any explanation for the huge mismatches our team creates or the awesomeness that is Danny Granger, or the fact that we have 3 starters on our team with championship rings. And if you look at their matchups last season, Granger completely dominated Wallace in almost every game. They aren't even comparable players talent-wise... Granger is miles ahead.

And for those people who said the Suns had a better defense, what are you smoking because I would love a puff of it. Bibby, JR Smith and Villanueva are all ATROCIOUS defenders. 2 defenders does not equal a good defensive team, especially when you're starting 3 huge defensive liabilities. We have a team with 5 really solid defenders (Rondo and Granger are exceptional) and nobody even mentions that?

Look at least I didn't do that, other than that i don't know what to say. I think its very very close.

Granger is better than Wallace but I really think you're over estimating him a bit, the whole championship rings thing it a pretty moot point too, consider its a TEAM that got that ring not the individual. Overall i'm not convinced Rondo can be a great point guard without a dominant post guy. Don't bring up the Bull's series. That was all Rose, he was an awful defender, and the Bull's interior defense as a whole was very very bad last year. Bottom 10. Im not saying Rondo is bad by any stretch, i'd put him about 3rd best in the east.

Howard IS going to get space for the shooters around him, his guys just aren't a bunch of spot shooters, Bibby can create for himself and so can Wallace. Charle V isn't a slouch too, although defensively ill admit he is awful. Odom isn't aggressive enough to exploit that though. Whos is going to average 20 in this series besides Granger? I don't have enough confidence Rondo or Odom could carry a load like that.

Overall though I think the series goes 7, and its very close.

blujaysrock
10-31-2009, 07:36 AM
I don't see why you guys think Bibby will do ****, look up the game logs from every Hawks game vs the Celtics last season you will see that Rondo actually did **** against Bibby

Tom81
10-31-2009, 08:10 AM
Suns

astrosmaniac
10-31-2009, 10:51 AM
how does 3 shooters spell victory

the reason dwight is good in orlando is cause had talent in hedo rashard jameer

those 3 completely dominate bibby cv31 and jr
because even though hedo is gone and lewis is out right now, dwight still put up 20/22/4 last night and 21/15/2 on opening night, his sucess is all based on his teammates. :rolleyes:

dwight is a beast. the only guys he has issues with are really shaq and yao, due to their immense size and finesse (yao) or extreme strength/bulk (shaq). besides them, no one really can stop dwight...

mightybosstone
10-31-2009, 11:18 AM
But why can NOBODY mention how bad the Suns defense is outside of Howard and Wallace? JR Smith and Villanueva are notoriously known for being bad defenders and Bibby's defense has bee awful as he's gotten older.

The argument made that Rondo "did it against a weak interior defense" is completely ridiculous. Look at his stats against the freakin' Magic in the playoffs, AGAINST Dwight Howard and you'll see that interior defense had nothing to do with it. Also, the Suns interior defense is essentially Dwight Howard. You HONESTLY think he can guard a slashing Rondo or Odom and a posting up Bogut at the same time with inferior help defense?

And nobody has read my point AT ALL about Bogut being an exceptional defender against Dwight. You guys say that Shaq has the kind of strength to keep him out of the paint? Bogut does the EXACT SAME THING, and he's not aging like Shaq is so he can do it for more than 30 minutes a game. Hell, we even have Diop off the bench. If WE can't stop Dwight, than basically no one can and you might as well give the Suns the championship right now.

And to those who say we're "overrating" Granger, you must be completely blind. He will fight with Durant, James, Kobe and Wade for the scoring title again this year, and he'll do so while putting up great assists, rebounds, steals and 3's, because he's just that talented and he can do so many things. He's one of the guys who's in that "unguardable" category and if you don't believe me, it's because you haven't seen him play.

Without question, this is a better team than the Suns, and I'm not knocking them because they've built a good team, but none of you can see past Dwight Howard to obvious holes in their defense and the lack of overall talent and depth on that team. It's whatever, I'd rather know that I built a better team than have a ton of posters who obviously don't know basketball tell me otherwise.

PhillyLuver
10-31-2009, 11:36 AM
I set the over under on an MBT freakout at 12 hours.

You got the under by a nice margin!

mightybosstone
10-31-2009, 11:41 AM

It's okay.... your team is safe. Just like the Suns, you have a top 5 player, so it makes no difference the rest of your team is. You'll probably go to finals on the stupidity of teenage PSD fanboys...

PhillyLuver
10-31-2009, 11:50 AM
And I expected that to happen, as should've you after so many redrafts

mightybosstone
10-31-2009, 11:54 AM
And I expected that to happen, as should've you after so many redrafts

I don't play these games to pander to the PSD audience. I play them because it's fun to pretend that you're an actual GM and your'e trying to build a legitimate team from a draft. If I just build every re-draft team around a superstar, but I didn't think the team was very good, than I wouldn't have any fun doing this. If I don't win, that's fine. I realize that people on a public forum are young, ignorant and completely biased when it comes to their views on sports.

I just wish I could get one poster to give me a LEGITIMATE reason why we're losing this by so much, when their team is obviously nowhere near as talented or balanced on either side of the ball.

thephoenixson28
10-31-2009, 12:01 PM
It's okay.... your team is safe. Just like the Suns, you have a top 5 player, so it makes no difference the rest of your team is. You'll probably go to finals on the stupidity of teenage PSD fanboys... The reason why people pick the suns cuz they are a better team I will choose dwight,wallace,and villueneva >>>>>>>> granger,odom,and rondo. Obvouisly you are upset cuz you made a mest up team that can't compete with this team.

theimortalone
10-31-2009, 12:26 PM
Two rookie gms are doing great for themselves! :D

theimortalone
10-31-2009, 12:30 PM
Its a game, be happy :)

Haha, agreed. :)

mightybosstone
10-31-2009, 12:59 PM
The reason why people pick the suns cuz they are a better team I will choose dwight,wallace,and villueneva >>>>>>>> granger,odom,and rondo. Obvouisly you are upset cuz you made a mest up team that can't compete with this team.

No, I'm upset because I'm being judged by people who think Charlie Cillanueva is good and who spelled "messed" as "mest" and "obviously" as "obvouisly". Before you insult someone, you should check your spelling so that it doesn't blow up back in your face. ;)

blujaysrock
10-31-2009, 01:28 PM
Well only a few more hours, good luck to the Rockets.

jimbobjarree
10-31-2009, 02:23 PM
But why can NOBODY mention how bad the Suns defense is outside of Howard and Wallace? JR Smith and Villanueva are notoriously known for being bad defenders and Bibby's defense has bee awful as he's gotten older.

Why does JR Smith have to be a good defender when he's up against Finley? Or Charlie Vil when he's up against Lamar? Besides Granger you have a team full of 4th or 5th options offensively on their respective teams, so its not as if you can even exploit them anyway.

blujaysrock
10-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Why does JR Smith have to be a good defender when he's up against Finley? Or Charlie Vil when he's up against Lamar? Besides Granger you have a team full of 4th or 5th options offensively on their respective teams, so its not as if you can even exploit them anyway.

I agree with you, and we have Wallace and Wright who are no slouches on defense to be on Granger so in my opinion I don't think for 1 you can stop Howard, and 2 if you stop Howard we have enough guys who can bury a 3 to hurt you that way and Wallace's slashing ability. There's no doubt this would be a good series I just think that the Suns would come out on top.

Young and Stupid
10-31-2009, 02:41 PM
Wow, I'm suprised the Suns are winning, w/o a doubt the Rockets are a better team. Suns lack defense, Howard will be in foul trouble because he is going to have to play a lot of weak side defense on Rondo and Granger. Plus, the Rockets should start Afflalo and have Finley come off the bench as a shooter. Rockets would win this in 5 or 6.

mightybosstone
10-31-2009, 02:53 PM

Are you kidding me? If Odom and Rondo didn't play on teams that are so stacked, they'd be #2 options on 90% of teams in the NBA. Bogut isn't exactly a joke offensively, either. And just because Finley isn't exactly a playmaker doesn't mean you don't have to defend him. The guy is still an amazing shooter. And you saying that Villanueva doesn't need to play defense on Odom shows how little you must watch NBA basketball. Odom is as dangerous a playmaker at PF as there is in the NBA...

mightybosstone
10-31-2009, 02:55 PM
Wow, I'm suprised the Suns are winning, w/o a doubt the Rockets are a better team. Suns lack defense, Howard will be in foul trouble because he is going to have to play a lot of weak side defense on Rondo and Granger. Plus, the Rockets should start Afflalo and have Finley come off the bench as a shooter. Rockets would win this in 5 or 6.

THANK YOU!!! This whole thing was worth it just to hear one poster say something that makes sense.

1-800-STFU
10-31-2009, 04:15 PM
Are you kidding me? If Odom and Rondo didn't play on teams that are so stacked, they'd be #2 options on 90% of teams in the NBA. Bogut isn't exactly a joke offensively, either. And just because Finley isn't exactly a playmaker doesn't mean you don't have to defend him. The guy is still an amazing shooter. And you saying that Villanueva doesn't need to play defense on Odom shows how little you must watch NBA basketball. Odom is as dangerous a playmaker at PF as there is in the NBA...

I'd disagree pretty strongly to this, he just isn't aggressive enough from what i've seen. You have some mismatches but I don't think you have the guys to exploit them aside from the Rondo/Bibby matchup.

Again this is all just opinion, I still think it's very close but my slight edge goes to the Suns.

jeff86
10-31-2009, 04:42 PM
to me in real life this series would not even be close

there is nothing outside howard to like about the suns imo but whatever i guess i need a top 10 pick like every redraft has been

jimbobjarree
10-31-2009, 04:49 PM

playmaker yeah, but he's not gunna light you up, and its not like Vil plays absolutely 0 defense at all

jeff86
10-31-2009, 04:55 PM

no offense but your team should have been dq'd already for going over the cap. Also you have complained all redraft about Catfish's rulings on trades not being passed seedings whatever it may be.

I like you but don't go ripping my co because he wanted to win

1-800-STFU
10-31-2009, 05:06 PM
to me in real life this series would not even be close

there is nothing outside howard to like about the suns imo but whatever i guess i need a top 10 pick like every redraft has been

Of course to you it wouldn't be close, you're the gm. Every gm overrates their team :shrug:

thephoenixson28
10-31-2009, 05:35 PM
No, I'm upset because I'm being judged by people who think Charlie Cillanueva is good and who spelled "messed" as "mest" and "obviously" as "obvouisly". Before you insult someone, you should check your spelling so that it doesn't blow up back in your face. ;) Damn I didn't know this was a spelling forum, and if your going to correct someone make sure you spell villanueva with a "V" not a "C". Like I said suns are the better team not cuz of dwight but overall.

Sportfan
10-31-2009, 06:03 PM
The reason why people pick the suns cuz they are a better team I will choose dwight,wallace,and villueneva >>>>>>>> granger,odom,and rondo. Obvouisly you are upset cuz you made a mest up team that can't compete with this team.

lawl

jeff86
10-31-2009, 06:10 PM
^ that had to be funniest quote i have ever heard

thephoenixson28
10-31-2009, 07:22 PM
lawl what the hell does that mean

jimbobjarree
11-01-2009, 12:29 AM
^ that had to be funniest quote i have ever heard

hmmmm, methinks you've lived a very bland life then

jeff86
11-01-2009, 08:37 PM
hmmmm, methinks you've lived a very bland life then

me thinks nobody cares about your opinion

greg_ory_2005
11-01-2009, 08:38 PM
ooohhhhhhh

Kakaroach
11-01-2009, 09:17 PM
hmmmm, methinks you've lived a very bland life then :laugh:

jimbobjarree
11-01-2009, 09:25 PM
me thinks nobody cares about your opinion

haha just saw this...what a piss poor response :laugh2:

Durant is hype
11-01-2009, 09:28 PM
haha just saw this...what a piss poor response :laugh2:

:laugh:

KnicksorBust
11-01-2009, 09:42 PM
People don't buy Rondo as a #2 and Granger hasn't made a team a winner yet. Tough for a squad like that to beat Dwight + 3pt shooters. I think Rondo + Odom/Bogut to get a legit big could have made the difference. Rockets were one trade away from really making noise in the playoffs imo. Great job by both GMs.